Review Highlights
Very interesting

This is a difficult place to visit for the disabled, but so pretty it was worth the effort. The... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Bvia2015
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Beautiful - wished I'd planned to camp

We stopped in here on our slow drive down from Seattle-LA. Boy, do I wish we'd planned a night... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago

from $119.60
from $40.00
from $65.25
More Info
All reviews valley view state park buzzards roost pfeiffer big sur poison oak hiking trails camping experience big trees trail head point lobos great hiking mcway falls short hike purple sand campsite lodge redwoods
Selected filters
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Drove down the coast from Point Lobos and stopped in. Choose to do 1 walk (Pfeiffer Falls trail). The walk is definitely scenic and you do see redwoods along the way. It is a pretty strenious walk and if you are not in great condition, I wouldn't recommend it. I found the waterfall not to be great (I have seen much bigger ones at Yosemite) but I think the trees and scenery on the walk more than makes up for it. Felt isolated and not to crowded in the park which is also good. It is definitely a very good state park and I would border it on being worthy of a National Park/Monument. Tip - if you see other state parks, it is free on the same day.

Date of experience: April 2014
4  Thank jeff77664
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Lodge is nice and the trail to the waterfall has redwoods. Go see the falls if it has rained recently.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We drove out to Big Sur from San Francisco to enjoy the wilderness and the Route 1 drive.
It was totally worth the drive out to Pfeiffer park.

If you enjoy the outdoors, there were plenty of places to stop and take a stroll or a hike. If you enjoy views of the ocean and sunset, you can stop just about anywhere on the long winding road to the park and sit there for hours.

We finally stopped at the spot which had a waterfall. The waterfall itself was unimpressive BUT the view from the less than 0.5 mile walk out over to the edge of the cliff was the best part!

Safe for toddlers and adults alike. Enjoy the views of the crashing waves and the unreachable beach (for most) as well as the time waterfall whihc actually looks like its coming out of a pipe.

I would have given this 5 star but an angry ranger took one star away because he was getting mad at everyone for being stopped on the highway / parked over the white line. I feel his pain but its a slow road and not easy to cause an accident.

Next stop - stay at one of the lodges here.

2  Thank 110anishaa
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We did four of the advertised trails - we enjoyed them all. The park wasnt ridiculously busy on a May week day, its probably much busier at weekends or holiday times. The campground was full and the car parks busy too.

1  Thank karencA6283NY
Reviewed May 15, 2014

There were alot of people on the Pfeiffer Falls hike. Pretty easy hike too and the falls viewing area is tight as they have roped off the area closest to the falls. Hope the park service fixes that area to open back up. If your an experienced hiker and want a more secluded experience, I highly recommend Andrew Molera SP 5-10 minutes north.

3  Thank RDMTraveler