“Wonderful redwoods .......walk up and look into the canopy”

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
Ranked #5 of 34 things to do in Big Sur
London
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wonderful redwoods .......walk up and look into the canopy”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Lots of work going on and noisy leaf blowers working whilst we were there. So it only got quiet when we got high up the trails. The Falls were small and sweet. If time is tight go right to the View trail and miss the falls and also walk the short wheel chair accessible loop near the cafe at the entrance. .

We saw a fabulously noisy huge party of Stella's jays go across the valley. Locals may dismiss them as thieves - but they are gloriously blue and entertaining. The bird life was variable - sometimes teeming, sometimes none. We saw woodpeckers at the Colonial tree by car park 4. We drove to the campsite and past some more fabulous trees.

Visited January 2013

• Polish first
Seattle, Washington
116 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“I expected more.”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I've heard so much about Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park that I had really high expectations. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, so I'm probably a little spoiled. In fairness, there was a lot of construction going on in the park, which may have been a limiting factor. The redwoods are definitely amazing, I just expected more trails to explore them. I hiked up to the waterfall and found it disappointing. It seems to be fed by a stream, instead of a river, which really impacted its grandeur - it looked more like to streams of water coming down the side of a cliff. The air is so clean and fresh - take as many deep breaths as you can!

The lodge did look amazing and I bet it is something special to stay there. They had a wood fireplace going, which gave the park that special campfire smell, which is always very special. I would definitely go back to try the lodge out for a night or two!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Coastal Redwoods”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Big Sur is more than a feeling. It's a real place and lovely it is. Everyone needs to drive this beautiful coastline once in their life and more if possible. There are so many parks to stop at an breath in all the beautiy. This park had a good hike to a waterfall past lovely coastal redwoods. Even fire couldn't take these giants down. We found it to be uncrowded. The only negative was that there was some off season construction going on and you could hear the trucks during the hike. Entry fee good all day at all State Parks so hit more than one.

Visited October 2012
Los Angeles
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“The second most incredible place on earth”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I thought Big Sur was the most incredible place on earth until I saw the Grand Canyon. Fill up on gas outside of Big Sur, gas stations are few and far between (and very expensive). My recommendation would be to bring a tent and a motorcycle and you will have the drive of your life. Maybe it's not the most incredible place on earth, but it's certainly the best drive on earth, that I've taken at least.

Visited July 2012
Helsinki, Finland
“HWY 1”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

great costal views between Carmel and Morro Bay. Elephant seals close to San Simeon. Butterflies in Pismo Beach

Visited November 2012