“Beautiful!”

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
Ranked #5 of 35 things to do in Big Sur
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Park was amazing, huge redwoods, waterfalls, and wildlife. We did two trails and had a great time exploring, bring water, hiking shoes, and maybe a snack.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I have visited Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park on several occasions and I am always amazed when I walk the trails among the redwoods. There are several hiking trails of varying difficulty, so there is something for everyone. I have never stayed at the Lodge, but that is something I have been meaning to do. At this point, there is a lot of work going on in the park, all of which will make it an even better experience for visitors. I highly recommend a trip to Big Sur, even if it is only for a few hours.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights here with friends in October of 2011, and had an amazing time. First of all, Big Sur is simply magical, and we were told by a local that this campground has "the best redwoods" in the whole town, and I didn't see anything to dispute that.

Now, down to the nitty gritty -- the sites here are spacious, all sites have a fire ring and picnic table, standard operating procedure. Our site was in the middle of a redwood grove, and short walk over the the Big Sur River, where my husband and our friend sat in folding chairs with their feet in the river. Visitors should know that not all of the sites in the campground are near redwoods, however. There are large sections of the campground that are surrounded by more typical trees and grass, so we ended up switching our original site, on the edge of a field, for another site that was in the redwoods. The rangers had no problem with us switching and it was an easy process.

What sets this campground apart is the amenities -- there are bathrooms with flush toilets and hot showers scattered throughout the campground. There are also the lodge facilities near the park entrance, where there is a diner-type restaurant, a coffee shop and a gift shop. We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was really good.

This campground is simply lovely, and I highly recommend it.

2  Thank greensubmarine
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Good to stretch the legs along the way, and nice to see some Redwoods and to follow the creek. Downsides were the sound of the highway floating up the hillside walking the Buzzards Nest walk.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

I highly recommend checking out Big Sur. We bought a Big Sur hiking book and tried to take advantage of the amazing scenery and hiking as often as possible while we lived in the area for a short time. There are hundreds of different hikes with varying scenery and difficulty.

3  Thank GG530