“beautiful scenic trip but travel by day preferable”

Point Sur State Historic Park
Ranked #8 of 32 things to do in Big Sur
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic lighthouse located around Point Sur is now a state park.
Logan City, Australia
“beautiful scenic trip but travel by day preferable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

travelling to Los Angeles my husband and I chosed to travel via Big Sur. The scenic view was beautiful, but I was not ready for the winding path through the cliffs, I had to hold on to my chair as the fall below could be catastropic. I had obliged my darling husband to travel the route as he wanted to take the faster way to Los Angeles due to my interest to see the Scenic view that has been greatly advertised. I now find that the Big Sur route is not for the faint hearted like me. We learn by our mistakes I guess, anyway I got what I wanted inspite of the fear.

Visited June 2013

SF Bay Area
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“At long last!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Every time we drove past the Point Sur Light Station we would say, "Oh, we should come take the tour some time!" Then we saw the California Gold episode in which Huell Howser enthusiastically encourages visitors to tour the light station http://www.calgold.com/calgold/Default.asp?Series=2000&Show=110 and were inspired to visit the light station at long last. We were not disappointed; the tour was fantastic! The park is staffed entirely by volunteers so entry fee and gift store sales proceeds go entirely toward support of the restoration work. Information is available at http://www.pointsur.org/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Sur_Lighthouse. Cars line up 30 minutes before tour time on the west side of Highway 1 at the farm gate (instructions are on the light station web site). Wear walking shoes and dress in layers. Despite the altitude gain, it's safe and paced appropriately. The volunteer guides are extremely knowledgable. It's also the only way to see the historical marker for the USS Macon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Macon_(ZRS-5). Go and have a great time!

Visited August 2013
5 Thank cuppajava
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A history lesson with a view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

First I want to point out the previous reviewer is wrong--you DO NOT need a reservation for this tour. It does have limited days and hours because it is solely manned by volunteer staff, so check with your lodging facility or with Big Sur National Parks and they'll be able to help you with seeing the lighthouse.

When you arrive, get there at least 20-30 min early so you are guaranteed a spot for the tour. They only take 40 people on the tour. Park along the side of the road to the entrance. The line will begin forming at the gate so make sure you are facing south on hwy 1.

The tour begins by walking the roadway up the side of the hill. It is a .88 mile round trip hike on a completely paved course. If you aren't the hiker type, the hike itself is easy as the tour guides stop several times along the way to tell about the history and point out various wildlife and plants.

At the top of the hill you'll be able to go inside the lighthouse, but don't get to stay too long, but definitely long enough for pictures and asking additional questions if desired.

During the entire tour, it is full of history and interesting information, but I had no proior knowledge of the island or lighthouse before attending. I just enjoy lighthouses!

At the very top of the island you pay the $12 USD for an adult ticket for the tour and you can pick up a souvineer, or after you pay, you can watch various short films about the history of the island and lighthouse.

Overall, I would highly recommend this tour because it is fun, interesting and gets you out of the woods, river, car or off the beach for 3 hours.

And just by going, you help our national parks :)

Visited July 2013
3 Thank volvol16
Titusville
1,088 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,305 helpful votes
“Wish it was open more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

On our trip up the coast we were transfixed by the lighthouse on top of point Sur. You need a reservation for the tour and it is quite long. They only give tours three days a week, I wish we had been able to and see the light house as we are from Maine have have visited many along our beautiful coast. So, I would advise you to check the latest information on the times and days of the week they give tours and plan ahead. This looks like it would be well worth a visit. We enjoyed the Big Sur area and took hundreds of pictures.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank James H
Santa Barbara, California
202 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 415 helpful votes
“Lighthouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you like lighthouses, this is a must see. The views are from pretty high up on the cliffs overlooking the ocean.

Visited November 2012