“Go for the late night soaks”

The Esalen Institute
Reviewed November 27, 2010

For those who cannot afford to stay at Esalen you can go there from 1-3 AM and pay $20 per person to soak in the tubs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. So peaceful and relaxing.

5  Thank LasVegasfemale
"spa area"
"gluten free"
"bunk bed room"

Reviewed November 6, 2010

I have been going to Esalen for many years. The workshops and programs have generally been great and the value excellent. However, Esalen seems to have changed its philosophy and now charges so much money for room and board + a workshop that it hardly seems worth it. Many people doing great workshops go elsewhere and Esalen, while beautiful and in an incredible location, no longer holds the same magic for me. I recently priced a week long program with potentially (won't know until a week before workshop single room) at $426/night. There are a lot of things to do at this price that are wonderful. I was shocked at the price. I did not mind bringing wrong sized sheets back to the laundry etc. but now i would care. Esalen is out of my budget. I also don't like the elite lodging that has been created. Esalen used to be classless. It is indeed without class.

27  Thank Shakti1
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I recently spent a weekend attending a workshop at Esalen. The location is beautiful, the rooms are lovely, the food is wonderful, and the staff is friendly and helpful. I could not have asked for a better place to spend a weekend and plan to return soon. Waking up to the view of the ocean from my bedroom window was spectacular.

2  Thank Anyamare
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I recently returned from the 6th annual yoga festival and fell in love with this place! Nice people, great yoga teachers, good healthy food and an unbelievable view.
Don't go expected a 5 star resort. This is not a hotel!

1  Thank abosco
See more reviews
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Spent the week here at a workshop and this place is pure joy. Don't get me wrong-- it's not a luxury hotel, though the location is world class. But the waves crashing, the sense of unchanging earthiness, the gardens, the healthy and delicious food (some of it from their gardens) and two or three soaks in the thermal tubs each day-- all add up to timeless perfection. Yes, there are mice in the rooms. (do not bring food... duh...) No, they will not change your towels and sheets for you in the bunk rooms. But you will fall in love and never want to leave.

I was nervous about the bunk rooms (6 beds to a room-- see pictures) but mine was great. Rolf room #1 is perched right on the cliff with waves crashing. There are 3 closets, 2 dressers, and drawers under each bunk. One bathroom, which was next to my bed, but never disturbed me. You will not be able to choose the building you will stay in when you reserve-- but I would have honestly been happy anywhere. You can hear the ocean from anywhere on the property-- and will find yourself in the hot tub staring off into the ocean or sky more than you will be looking out from your room.

You will get great exercise walking up and down the hills to the tubs,or down to the farm area. The bread alone is worth the price of the room-- and there's always an amazing salad bar as well as more than one soup choice. Meat is served for those who want it. I think that they do a great job of feeding many people each day-- how do they make it seem so healthy while satisfying so many?

I hope to spend a week here once a year from here on. This place immediately both relaxed and energized me. I feel like I'm under a spell! It was magical and I can't recommend Esalen highly enough.

p.s. beside the bunk rooms, you can also get regular rooms for 1 or 2, or, at the other end of the spectrum, stay in a sleeping bag in one of the meeting rooms. Sounds worse than it is-- the meeting rooms have huge pillows and bathrooms of their own.

4  Thank kawh