Tripadvisor
Inbox
Search
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Best. Tour. Ever.- Educational and Fun!

Impressed by all the great reviews that this tour got on Tripadvisor, my siblings and I booked a... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
eaglelake20
Crown Point, New York
Layla Guesthouse Mayan Experience Cenote Tour From Puerto Morales, MÉXICO.

Truly one of the best days EVER. Swimming in a cenote on the Yucatan was a bucket list item for me... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago

from $99.00
from $85.00
from $55.00
More Info
All reviews mayan family dry cave medicinal plants tortillas mayan home local family mayan meal jungle hike mayan words authentic mayan food wood carvings medicinal purposes local wood local flora small mayan village local house interesting knowledge
Selected filters
Reviewed January 9, 2020

We had the best time with our guides out exploring the jungle. Robin and Pas (sp?) are so knowledgeable about local history and plants of the jungle. Lunch was fantastic as well! It is a day trip I will never forget. This tour is so good, someone I know has done it 5 times!!

Date of experience: January 2020
robintraveler1, Owner at Layla Guesthouse Mayan Experience Cenote Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

So happy to share that experience with you Ashley. we hope to see you here again on a repeat trip...or to enjoy the new tour called "Jade Maya...Xcan Xtreme " ! Here you will learn more about the geology of the area, and enter a different cave and cenote under thrilling conditions ! Roped in to a 6-story ladder for example !

Reviewed January 6, 2020

Wow, Robin & Paz were passionate and engaging guides. We learned about Mayan Culture, Yucatan history, Jungle Medicines, Cenote Geology, Master Wood Carvers, Local Cuisine, and they taught us basic Mayan language so we could engage more with the local village hosts. Even more impressive is the community building they are doing. They built a beautiful local Swimming Club for the village using Cenote water. The Cenote, Chooj-ha, is a photographer’s paradise, and a geologist’s theme park. The giant stalagmite formations, millions of years old, rising out of the hypnotizing turquoise waters, looked like fine sculptures, as if Mayan spirits may have offered a hand in their creation. For snorkelers or free divers, the underwater cathedral is even better than above. Depth ranges between 20 - 50 feet depending on the season, with plenty of cave extensions to test your curiosity. Robin & I discovered a 40’ underwater cave, at around 20’ depth, fairly easy to navigate for a practiced free diver with a good dive light. Found 50 pesos and a few black catfish inside. Underwater camera a must, I wish I planned for. Lunch with Grandma in her traditional kitchen, was fun & delicious. Village kids swarmed us after offering hand drawings at fair prices. Overall, these day tours can be exhausting, but we arrived back in Puerto Morelos full of excitement for what we just experienced. If you want an inspiring tour away from the tourist traps to do more than selfie & splash in a cenote, here you can also connect with Mayan culture like a Werner Herzog expedition. Hats off to Robin & Paz for curating such a lively, joyful, and educational day. With great respect, thank you to the beautiful & friendly Mayans for welcoming us with open arms, sharing your unique history and magic lands. We were honored to be your guest’s for a day. Joon Botik!

Date of experience: January 2020
robintraveler1, Propietario at Layla Guesthouse Mayan Experience Cenote Tour, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

And thank you Rob for sharing your heart-felt observations on the day. Your full description I hope will encourage others to follow suit and enjoy that day in the modern Mayan world...... I really enjoyed our swim...

Reviewed January 5, 2020

Really informative. Short stops and interstibg places
And an amazing swim underground the swamps
Unbelievable cathedral

Amazing

And humbling visit to local grandma for excellento tortillaaaa

1  Thank 285martijnd

Many thanks for taking the time to review your day with us Martijnd ! You are right, Grandma runs a pretty tight ship and when she sees improvement needed in our tortilla-making...she lets us know ! kekekekek. The cathedral-like cave is a million years old as we swim in it...you can feel the vibrations, right ? All day with the modern Maya...a day well spent ! thanks for the recommendation !

Reviewed January 2, 2020

Having Robin as an amazing tour guide and knowing so many things about the trees,the land, the mayan history made this tour really special.
This cenote was truly spectacular and a dream. We also went into a dark cave with flashlights. Then we had a moment where we turned off all the flashlights and just sat in silence it was beautiful. For lunch we went to a Mayan family’s house. They welcomed us by showing us how to make tortillas and fed us with delicious food that they made in their kitchen. They also had a few handmade items that we were able to purchase. Lil purses and hair ties. I would def recommend this tour. The ride is a bit long but the company is not to be forgotten. We also stopped at a wood carving spot

Date of experience: October 2019
robintraveler1, Owner at Layla Guesthouse Mayan Experience Cenote Tour, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2020

Thank you for sharing your review of our tour here...it is so helpful for everyone involved. We really appreciate your time ! As guests on the tour you do indeed learn a lot about the medicinal plants of the Maya...and our guide Paz not only comes from that tradition in his family...but also studied and studies a lot to share more with the visitors.... You are right, the lunch with the Mayan family in their home is unforgettable...both for taste as well experience. That cenote blows my mind every time I go there...now over 200 times.... !!! Thanks for the THUMBS UP !!

Reviewed December 23, 2019 via mobile

This is a MUST do tour , you will learn all about the Mayans and there culture. Robin and Paz are fantastic tour guides. The Cenote is absolutely unbelievable

Date of experience: December 2019
robintraveler1, Owner at Layla Guesthouse Mayan Experience Cenote Tour, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2020

Many thanks for your review, and MUST do comment ! It was my thought from the first moment I was in that cenote 9 years ago: " Everybody will want to experience this !" That is how this tour began, I am so glad you did experience it and are spreading the word. I have been in that cenote over 200 times, and each and every time I say " Wow " ! as I walk in.....swim around.....and ponder the hundreds of thousands of years between geological events that have taken place there !!