“The best place to relax and enjoy your vacation”
Review of Rancho Sak-Ol

Rancho Sak-Ol
Ranked #5 of 18 Puerto Morelos B&B and Inns
NYC
“The best place to relax and enjoy your vacation”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

If you prefer to enjoy nature and avoid tourist crowds this is the place where you want to be! It is a hidden place off the road, and sometime when it rains there is a water on road, so you have to drive bit carefully, just like any other road in Mexico. During our stay we saw the management pumping out the water, so it is not a problem. Regardless, it's an easy access, but still it was good that we came in during day light to check in where you can clearly see where you driving.
We have best sleeping experience with the sound of waves that hypnotized us immediately :) Breakfast is simple and delicious (even for vegans like us there was plenty of food),design of the room and building is beautiful it makes you don't want to leave.
The owners are very warm, good to talk to and they appreciate your privacy. The owner is a retired archeologist and he gave us very good tips for our visits of Mayan ruins.
It is A good place to start or end your trip through Mexico or just to stay there entire time. 5 minutes by car is Puerto Morellos center, a real Mexican town experience, great restaurants and souvenir shops. We loved it so much we will be back for sure.

Room Tip: We chose the Junior Suite since it was the only available room at the moment, and it turned out to b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AleksandarSRB

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Vermont
Reviewed December 27, 2013

If you are looking to be "pampered", this is not the place for you. But it is a small pleasant place, with a lot of privacy. I found the breakfasts to be good, and the view of the pier did not bother me at all. True, it is not on a broad long clean beach, but that can be part of the charm. I would note two caveats: 1) The bathroom is separated from the bedroom only by a swinging half door (like in an old west saloon), so any privacy is purely symbolic. I would not want to share a room with anyone that I wasn't fully comfortable sharing bodily functions with. 2) If you are a light sleeper, you might want to request a room as far from the main building as possible. The owner keeps his two dogs chained behind the main building, and thus next to the living quarters, and you may hear an occasional bark during the night or early monring at, the owner told me, a passing raccoon or snake. I agree with Daniel J that a sign to the place on the main road would have been nice. The owner did seem to be a bit testy -- maybe the stress of the flooding?

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side border the small parking area; ask for a room inland to avoid the barking do...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VermontDavid
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Frankly, I'm astounded that this place has such high reviews on TripAdvisor. Our stay (or rather, aborted stay) was one of the most humiliating, frustrating experiences I've ever had.

To begin with, not only is the hotel almost two kilometers from town, but there isn't even a sign on the main road to tell you to turn. The access road was partly flooded, and at the hotel entrance, the water was over a foot deep across the road.

Since we didn't want to ruin our car, we called the hotel to see if they could ferry us across. At first, they were merely dismissive, but then the owner got on the phone and told us that if other cars had gotten through the water, so could we. When I refused he finally consented, except he didn't listen when I told him we were at the entrance to the hotel and drove off in the opposite direction.

After waiting about ten minutes for the owner to return, we discovered the service entry and tried to get in that way. Since there were no warning signs, we heard the muffler scrape over some rocks and suddenly realized we were in the middle of the cabins.

Thankfully the car wasn't too damaged, but as we were checking in, I heard someone yelling outside. I went out to find the owner scolding the guy who had driven us for not using the official entrance. When I joined the conversation, he started to scold me for not telling him our exact location. When I pointed out that we didn't know the area, he only got angrier.

I was so disgusted that I demanded our deposit back, and we left. From the receptionist's reaction, I imagine this happens quite frequently.

The hotel itself isn't anything special. The rooms look pretty small, and there is a scum-filled fountain in the courtyard. Also forget about using their bikes to get to town, as the access road is in terrible condition. You are also surrounded by swamp, where crocodiles live, so don't let your children wander off too far.

I enjoy adventures, but being treated like scum by an arrogant hotel owner is not something I call fun. My advice: stay away!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Daniel J
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed at the Rancho for just one night before an early morning flight out of Cancun, and enjoyed the short stay a lot. At first I was a little surprised that the place was a little further away from town than I had expected, but taxis are cheap and quick. The distance is also walkable but we had some issues due to flooding! The beach right out front of the property is beautiful, and if a beach is important to you then this is the place to stay in PM. Another plus is the great host who creates such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere that you just want to stay longer. After she heard that we would both be leaving early in the morning to catch a flight and wouldn't be able to have breakfast, we were offered some fruit and bread rolls the night before. This is the first time anybody has offered me a "breakfast to-go" when I was leaving early, so I was impressed. The rooms where nice and of the regular funky beach style, and clean. We were there during a cold spell and the room came equipped with warm blankets, another sign for a well-run B&B and a thoughtful host. I would love to come back here and stay for longer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank salsaretreat
Colorado
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I don't know what the reviewers who wrote Terrible or Poor reviews. If you want a Five Star resort, book a Five Star resort. This is a small, funky place that I am going back to again next week. I thought it was wonderful. I thought the owners and staff were great. The rooms are spare but clean, the breakfast and coffee were very good. It did take me about five minutes to find it the first time and some of the surrounding real estate is not photogenic but once you get there, it is an oasis and comfortable. It is about a 15 minute walk to the town square. The beach is pretty but rocky, so I would not swim there. We did have fun walking up the beach about a mile.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ColoradoRic
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We spent an amazing stay, very relaxing, all the staff is very nice and the owners are very welcoming and do everything to make your stay agreable.
The snorkeling is great, we enjoyed the hamocs on the terasse with see view, we loved the suspending bedplayed with the dogs, enjoyed the fresh orange juce and fruits at breakfast, went to town with the borowed bikes and enjoyed two restaurant in particular the merkadito del mar cevishe and playita for the fryed fresh fish.
A great place to relax ! Thank you very much Hilda and Valentin ! We wil come back !

Room Tip: 2nd floor is great with see view ! enven if no AC the ceiling fan do the job :)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
south england
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Rancho is right on the beach and was the perfect way to unwind. at the beginning of our backpacking holiday.
The rooms are right on the beach and ours had an amazing view of the sea from the hammock on the balcony. The hanging beds are a novelty and take some getting used to but are very comfortable.
For us, the best part was the friendliness of the owners. They took time to show us around the property and explain everything. They helped us with directions and even booked us a hotel for the next leg of our journey.
Breakfast is self service and you are free to make your own orange juice and cook your own eggs. We also borrowed free bikes to get to town, which was a welcome extra.
The beach is pretty and very quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room at the front with views of the sea
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends