“I don't think you could get any better A.I. for the price”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Black Hills of South Dakota
“I don't think you could get any better A.I. for the price”
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Our trip was a pleasure trip with our daughter, granddaughter, and my wife's sister who is mostly confined to a wheelchair. Prior to our trip, we had contacted Frederic Ceglarski, who is the rooms division manager, regarding the need for two adjoining rooms so we could help out with my sister-in-law, and at the same time requested a 3rd room in the same area. Not only did we get 3 rooms all together, but these were in building 16, which in my opinion is the best building on the resort. Building 16 is not only close enough to the beach that you can hear the waves crash at night while sleeping, it also looks out over the pool so you can see the activities from the room if you so choose. Thank you Frederic!

Check-in went quite smoothly. The only thing I would have liked to see done differently was that the concierge almost insisted that we get with him right after check-in, when in fact we were very tired and only wanted to settle in.

The rooms (we stayed in the Luxury Rooms) were very nice, with walk-in showers, a solid closable door to the bathroom, and large in room electronic digital safe. The bed was comfortable and the pillow menu was a nice addition to the amenities.

We called for room service twice. The first time was when we missed dinner as we were on an outing, and called for some hamburgers. The food arrived in short order, and no sooner had the food shown up, we got a call from room service asking if all was well. The second time, we requested breakfast on the morning we did an excursion. We requested the food for 6:00 am and it arrived within 5 minutes of the requested time.

Speaking of food, we reserved dinner once in the Mexican A La Carte, and once in the Mediterranean A La Carte. Both were pretty good, but overall, my opinion is that the buffets have as good of fare as the A La Carte restaurants.

The entertainment staff was very good and would try to engage you in their activities which seemed to always be happening, but if you showed no interest they would move on. We missed the fire show which I understand is a “must see” : ( , But we did see the Magic show which was very entertaining. Bottom line! If you want, there are many activities to get involved with, but if not, the resort is big enough that you can easily find a spot to get away from it all!

The wait and maintenance staff is extremely friendly and helpful. You don’t have to wait long if you are on the beach or poolside, and there will be someone asking if there is anything you need or want. We had an issue with my sister-in-law’s wheelchair, and saw a maintenance staff gentleman who we asked to take a look. He left for a few minutes, and returned with the hardware needed to fix the problem. I don’t believe there is any problem that could arise that they wouldn’t put their best effort forth to try to remedy. There are also several staff people constantly at work trimming vegetation, sweeping sidewalks, picking up trash, raking sea grass off the beach, etc. In addition, Ricardo Bustamante, the operations manager, took the time out of his (I’m sure) busy schedule, to introduce himself. KUDOS to the entire staff.

Overall, this is a great resort! There is one downside, however, which is not a problem with the resort, but more a problem with where the resort is located. My wife and I as well as our daughter and granddaughter all would much rather swim in the ocean/sea as opposed to a swimming pool. The problem is that while the land portion of the beach is beautiful, once you get in the water, about 10 to 20 feet out, the sand drops off and you find yourself on an extremely rocky bottom. Water shoes will help this, but it is just not the same as having a nice sandy bottom.

This resort comes highly recommended!

2 Thank Theboomanchu
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference, we all loved your pics:)
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice and happy vacation in this your hotel.
Thank you for so many nice comments and for your useful tips for our future visitors.
It will be a privilege to serve all of you in a near future and thank you again for your preference and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor:)
Hasta pronto familia!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,817)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2011

stayed at the el cid for a week in feb 2011. We upgraded to the platinum club and had the most fantastice holiday ever.
The staff were helpful friendly and the hotel was one of the cleanest ive stayed.
We ate in the al a carte restaurants every night through platinum club and the food was like eating in a fab restaurant at home
would definetly go back and recomment to others - couples for a romantic relaxing holiday

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tonimanley
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Dear friends from UK:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your lovely review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your spouse had a nice holiday with us.
Thank you also for sharing your review but mainly thank you so much for your preference, we are so glad that the long flight worthed the trip:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you both again in a near future in this your hotel.
Hasta pronto amigos and thank you again for your preference!
Minnesota
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We just returned from a fabulous week at the El Cid with my parents, and our 3 young children, ages 4, 6 and 8. We are members of the El Cid in Mazatlan, but this is our first visit to the Riviera Maya. I use this site when selecting a destination, and I am always amazed at how critical people are on this site - I always want to tell people to relax and stop being so "high-maintenance." This resort is fantastic - big enough to provide great service and lots of fun activities, but intimate enough to walk from your room to the beach in 30 seconds. It was like being on a cruise ship with an enormous pool and a beautiful beach attached - great food, lots for the kids to do, great service, lots of relaxation.

The hotel shuttle, run through Pronto Tours, efficiently met us at the airport with a sign and quickly loaded us all up. Check-in was a breeze, and we barely had time to get a cocktail in hand before we were driven directly to our building, with our luggage right behind us. We were in adjoining one-bedroom suites on the 4th floor of building 17, with a gorgeous view of the ocean and pool. Two of the kids slept in the murphy bed in the living room area, and we had an additional bed brought in for the third. Plenty of room for the 5 of us, two beautiful (joined) balconies, two full bathrooms, wonderfully stocked mini-bar and lots of closet space. Maid service was wonderful - lots of extra towels and lotions, etc, and the room-safe worked great. Every night, we were brought fresh towels and a snack, sometimes chocolate covered strawberries, sometimes candy. We all ordered pillows off the pillow menu and were very glad we did. (A hint, though - you may want to order a couple of them per person, as they aren't as "fluffy" as you have at home.) We chose not to upgrade to Platinum, and certainly didn't miss it. Everything was very efficient!

We spent our time divided between the pool and the beach. We brought a football, diving sticks and pails/shovels for the kids, which were an instant hit with all the kids on the beach. Lots of pickup beach football and soccer games (soccer balls at the resort) with kiddos from Canada, Brazil, Europe and different US states. The kids had a blast! The beach fun, swimming in the ocean, cliff-diving, water slide, in-pool basketball hoop and gorgeous pool kept the kids having lots of fun all week! When they DID sit for a minute, they relaxed in the beach hammocks or in-pool chairs. The resort even did a water-balloon fight (boys vs. girls) for the kids on the beach one day and everyone loved it.

Although I had read that you couldn't go for long walks on the beach here, I went for runs on the beach each AM, and my daughter and dad went for long-walks (and came home with bags of beautiful shells). One direction you can walk to Puerto Moreles and the other (past the Marina), you can go for miles past private residences and one other hotel.

We ate breakfast and lunch at the Arecliffe restaurant (by the pool) each day. Great buffet, every day had new selections. (I highly recommend the cheeseburgers at lunch). Never too busy, waiters were great - we found 1 or 2 we liked and asked to sit in their section each day. Lots of choices for the kids- spaghetti, hot dogs, burgers, even chicken nuggets. We ate at the main buffet for dinner the first night, having just arrived, and the kids wanted to eat there one other night (it was Italian night, their fave). We did make reservations one night for the Marina - very nice meal, but otherwise we ate at Alcazar the remaining nights., It was GREAT: service was fantastic, the menu was new every night. There was a kids menu with mozzerella sticks, chix nuggets, etc. for my picky eater, and wonderful meals for rest of us. The manager there was outstanding- always efficient, polite and jumped right in to get more bread, serve drinks etc when the servers were busy. We ordered room service a couple of times (it's always open, even all night long!) and everyone was very courteous and friendly.

The pool bars were very efficient, and when the waiters around the pool weren't in sight, we either jumped in the pool and ordered from the swim-up bar or went to one of the other (several) bars by the pool and got our own. We always tipped everyone, every time - servers, bartenders, pool servers, maids etc, and although I think it is something everyone should do, it wasn't expected, and I am confident they wouldn't provide "lesser" service to those who didn't.

We didn't do many nighttime activities, as the kids were exhausted from their beach and pool fun, and we were content to sit on the balcony and listen to the waves crash.

I highly recommend this hotel to a family looking for a relaxing and fun vacation!

4 Thank MNhockeymom03
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your fantastic review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a fantastic vacation in this your hotel.
Thank you also for recommend our resort and for commenting that all of you will be visiting us again in a near future.
It is so nice to know that you are already members of ECVC:)
We hope to see you soon and thank you again for your kind review and for your preference.
Hasta pronto amigos!
Ottawa
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We had a group of 26 stay at the resort for our wedding. The wedding co-ordinators did an excellent job with our wedding. It was very relaxing and stress free. The flowers were beautiful as well as the ceremony on the Jetty. I would highly recommend this resort for a destination wedding.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear amigos:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that everything on your wedding was nice and that our wedding coordinators catered all your needs:)
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor but mainly thank you for selecting our resort for your wedding and for recommend us to everybody.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in the future in this your resort.
Once again on behalf of all our Hotel staff Congratulations amigos!
Tallmadge, Ohio
Reviewed February 16, 2011

This review is a long time coming, but since I rely on this site when making and choosing my travel destination I figured late was better than never...

Stayed at El Cid for a week last August with three children - ages 7, 11 and 15. Needless to say we all had a fantastic time - so much that the kids are still talking about the trip. Rooms were wonderful and spacious, view was beautiful, the staff was awesome, the grounds were large enough to feel resort like, but not too big to get lost, the food was well prepared and enough choices to satisfy everyone and we all felt safe...

We met some great people from all over the world and that also added to the experience for both the adults and the children. The jump cliff kept the kids occupied to hours and the beach also gave us another escape... We also enjoyed the in pool activities as well as the kid friendly crafts offered around the pool. The shows in the evening were a bit "cheesy" but the kids liked them...

Overall it was a great experience if you are looking for a family friendly vacation. I don't think I would go there as a couple escape, but with the children it was exactly what we were looking for...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear friends:
We are so glad that you and your family had a great holiday in this your resort.
We will share your nice comments with all our hotel staff muchas gracias.
We hope to serve you and your family again in another opportunity.
Hasta pronto amigos and thank you again for sharing your experience on tripadvisor as you say it it is better later than never...jeje:)
Best wishes!
Simcoe, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We have been home for 10 days after a great one week stay at El Cid. We have travelled throughout the caribbean and there are so many resorts out there and very few we would go back to a second time, but El Cid would be worth a repeat visit.
The resort is located just outside a quiet little town a short trip from the airport. The grounds were beautifully kept and all staff we met were friendly.
The kids club was fantastic the girls that run the program are amazing. We enjoyed the activity staff and their crazy games. The bicycle ride into Puerto Morales is a nice trip.
My husband and I booked a catamaran/snorkeling trip at the marina and were treated exceptionally well. We did several dives also booked right at the marina and loved it. Worth every penny. Jose and Jerry were great to dive with. Dive sites are less than 10mins. from the marina and are reasonabley priced.
Check out Ariel the saxaphone player who plays in the lobby Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Be prepared the beds are very firm. Big but very firm. And the rooms are modern, open concept. Privacy for families is limited.
Overall a great family resort.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your past stay with us.
Thank you also for recommend our resort and for complimenting our hotel staff.
it will be a pleasure to serve you again in a near future in this your hotel.
Hasta pronto amigos and thank you again for your preference!
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2011

This Resort is perfect for families of all ages from very young to older teens. It is a smaller resort and easy to get to the pool, the beach and then back to your room. We tried all of the restaurants and the food was very good. Lots of activities for the kids to do and the beach was quite nice. We didn’t have any trouble finding chairs on the beach or at the pool. Not a huge night life for younger adults but the shows were really good. We were so tired by 10 pm we were fine without a disco or partying all night! LOL Our children are 9 & 11 both girls.
Great resort to recommend. Flying with WestJet – well I just cannot say enough about them. We had a private van drive us directly to our hotel and a private van to pick us up and take us directly back to the airport – how nice was that. We didn’t stop at any other resorts there or back.
Great resort to recommend – very clean – grounds were beautifully kept.
All in all a great holiday!
As I mentioned - we have 2 girls 9 & 11 one tip I will give is that if your girls want their hair braided it cost $39 each for 1/2 a head at the resort through the spa (Pricey) If you go into the small town of Puerto Morelas it is only $15 US dollars for 1/2 a head (well over half price).

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Brimmers
Dear amigos:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a fantastic and relaxed holiday with us.
We will continue improving our services and facilities day by day to mantain our resort as one of the best options in Puerto Morelos.
Muchas gracias amigos, we hope to see you and your family again in a near future here at El Cid:)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#23 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!