Our trip was a pleasure trip with our daughter, granddaughter, and my wife's sister who is mostly confined to a wheelchair. Prior to our trip, we had contacted Frederic Ceglarski, who is the rooms division manager, regarding the need for two adjoining rooms so we could help out with my sister-in-law, and at the same time requested a 3rd room in the same area. Not only did we get 3 rooms all together, but these were in building 16, which in my opinion is the best building on the resort. Building 16 is not only close enough to the beach that you can hear the waves crash at night while sleeping, it also looks out over the pool so you can see the activities from the room if you so choose. Thank you Frederic!
Check-in went quite smoothly. The only thing I would have liked to see done differently was that the concierge almost insisted that we get with him right after check-in, when in fact we were very tired and only wanted to settle in.
The rooms (we stayed in the Luxury Rooms) were very nice, with walk-in showers, a solid closable door to the bathroom, and large in room electronic digital safe. The bed was comfortable and the pillow menu was a nice addition to the amenities.
We called for room service twice. The first time was when we missed dinner as we were on an outing, and called for some hamburgers. The food arrived in short order, and no sooner had the food shown up, we got a call from room service asking if all was well. The second time, we requested breakfast on the morning we did an excursion. We requested the food for 6:00 am and it arrived within 5 minutes of the requested time.
Speaking of food, we reserved dinner once in the Mexican A La Carte, and once in the Mediterranean A La Carte. Both were pretty good, but overall, my opinion is that the buffets have as good of fare as the A La Carte restaurants.
The entertainment staff was very good and would try to engage you in their activities which seemed to always be happening, but if you showed no interest they would move on. We missed the fire show which I understand is a “must see” : ( , But we did see the Magic show which was very entertaining. Bottom line! If you want, there are many activities to get involved with, but if not, the resort is big enough that you can easily find a spot to get away from it all!
The wait and maintenance staff is extremely friendly and helpful. You don’t have to wait long if you are on the beach or poolside, and there will be someone asking if there is anything you need or want. We had an issue with my sister-in-law’s wheelchair, and saw a maintenance staff gentleman who we asked to take a look. He left for a few minutes, and returned with the hardware needed to fix the problem. I don’t believe there is any problem that could arise that they wouldn’t put their best effort forth to try to remedy. There are also several staff people constantly at work trimming vegetation, sweeping sidewalks, picking up trash, raking sea grass off the beach, etc. In addition, Ricardo Bustamante, the operations manager, took the time out of his (I’m sure) busy schedule, to introduce himself. KUDOS to the entire staff.
Overall, this is a great resort! There is one downside, however, which is not a problem with the resort, but more a problem with where the resort is located. My wife and I as well as our daughter and granddaughter all would much rather swim in the ocean/sea as opposed to a swimming pool. The problem is that while the land portion of the beach is beautiful, once you get in the water, about 10 to 20 feet out, the sand drops off and you find yourself on an extremely rocky bottom. Water shoes will help this, but it is just not the same as having a nice sandy bottom.
This resort comes highly recommended!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to a luxury paradise of turquoise Caribbean waters, soothing breezes, Mayan cultural sites and beautiful, aromatic flora and fauna. Situated near the charming bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, overlooking the world's second largest coral reef park, this family oriented, all-inclusive beach resort offers a quiet alternative to the larger hotels in Riviera Maya. Enjoy amazing snorkeling, diving, sailing and sport fishing directly from our shores. With a selection of diverse restaurants, fabulous pools, adults-only Jacuzzi, Mayan-oriented spa, complete fitness center, full-service marina and more -- there is everything to do or nothing at all. • Family & Eco friendly Ocean Front Resort • Exclusive large suites • Great All Inclusive & Platinum All Inclusive meal plan options • Four tantalizing restaurants featuring a la carte and delicious buffets • Macondo Ocean Deck Bar with infinity pool • 22,000-square-foot pool • Beautiful landscaping, expansive sandy beach, hammocks. • Convention Center. • Ocean Front El Cocay Spa. • Full-service Marina 120-slip marina • WIFI Internet Access (fee) • Kids Club Center • Fitness center with the latest cardio equipment, free weights and a spinning class area • Pronatours Tour Desk • Half hour from Cancun/Riviera Maya International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Cancun/Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa And Beach Resort
- Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Beach
- El Cid Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos