“STILL THE ONE”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Long Island, New York
“STILL THE ONE”
Reviewed February 19, 2010

We recently returned from our Mexican holiday and New York welcomed us back with a winter storm, icy roads, dangerous winds and the annoying necessity of wearing clumsy boots. From the window I can see the snow falling on the lawn, it's incredibly pretty, mesmerizing, but it's so cold...and as I'm thinking of the time we spent at the Marina El Cid Spa and Beach Resort in Puerto Morelos, the following comes to mind: beautiful hotel, nice beach, tropical setting, caressing breezes, manicured gardens, colorful flowers, captivating sunrise and sunset, palapas, good wine, quality food, attentive service, immaculate and comfortable accommodations, romantic walks, relaxing silence zone, water sports, bycicle rides, cooking classes, fashion shows, gym, spa, twinkling stars, and, occasionally, some disappointing sudden rain showers, but as a guest told us, " would you rather be shoveling snow?" My husband and I are watching the snow accumulate, it's falling rapidly and at a steady pace, as we are asking ourselves what makes the El Cid still the one? Why did we choose to spend 35 days there? Why do we keep returning for extended or quick getaways? After all, we have been traveling in Mexico for almost two decades, we are not new to all inclusive hotels, and truthfully, many other destinations offer similar ameneties and beach-front properties, so what makes this place still the one? What makes it so special and different even to my husband who admits to be fussy, demanding, and the biggest pain in...

What makes this resort still the one? Simple, we know what to expect, (please refer to previous posting 38 day stay) we are never disappointed, nor let down, on the contrary we always find some improvements, if that were really possible.

This holiday we arrived at El Cid on December 24, 2009, were consistently extended respectful and attentive service, we endulged in quality food and romantic dinners, had 35 days of good times, and, relaxed and smiling, left for New York on January 28, 2010.

To all staff and management at El Cid thank you! The entire management team is complimented, recognized and appreciated. It is obvious that your dedication, commitment, expertise, and passion for hotel management, most especially this particular resort, is the primary influential factor in making the Marina El Cid Spa and Beach Resort still the one. Thank you for selecting, guiding, training and directing so many staff members who, by learning from you, positively influence countless guests.

Thank you, thank you all! You know who you are...
billsanna
Long Island, New york

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2010
Dear amigos from Long Island:
On behalf of the entire staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your beautiful review and for your preference after many years.
We are so glad that you and your husband had a nice and relaxed long stay in this your resort.
We are so proud of our resort and our staff and reviews like yours are the best reward that we all can receive.
We deeply thank you again for your comments and for your loyalty after so many years.
We look forward to your next stay with us we will be ready to pamper you and your husband once again in this your home away from home.
Hasta pronto querida familia:)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,798)
Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband, son (5 yrs) and I stayed at the Marina el Cid Jan 23-29, 2010 and had a wonderful time. I was a little skeptical after reading some of the reviews, but after staying there I have to say that either these bad reviews were exceptions or the people are just hard to please.

For the price I don't think you can beat the El Cid. We had a one-bedroom suite and paid the extra money for the Platinum club so that we could have an ocean view room. At check-in we were promptly directed to the Platinum area where we were immediately offered appetizers and beverages and quickly assigned our room. We were never approached about a time share during our entire stay. Our room was spacious, very clean and stocked with plenty of toiletries, drinks, fresh fruit and wine (plat club only). The second day we were there we noticed lots of ants which had come in through a crack in the tile by the patio door, but I sprayed them with my bug spray and then alerted the staff at the platinum club. The room was treated within the hour and we did not see a single ant for the remainder of our stay. Other perks of the platinum club were the computers/internet, drinks and snacks available at most times of the day, and the private palapa area on the beach.

We split our time between the pool and the beach. The beach was highly maintained, as was the ENTIRE property, and the pool was very refreshing with lots of seating. I highly recommend the cliff jump - even my 5 yr old tried it and loved it. We also took advantage of the kayaks and the Hobie Cat, which were both great fun. The beach was very rocky and has some seaweed, but that's nature. I would suggest bringing water shoes.

Overall the food at the restaurants was good, although after 5 days we could have used a little more variety. We preferred the Hacienda (by the pool) for most meals, as it was a little quieter and less hectic than the buffet restaurant in the lobby. Breakfast was very good, especially the smoothies and fresh juices (the cactus juice was fantastic). We also ate at El Alcazar and really enjoyed the food and the break from the buffet atmosphere. The room service menu is limited and took about an hour when we ordered dinner, but the food was fresh and delicious. We also had very prompt service when we called to get more beer and water for our room. Just a note, while we were there we did tip. It is not required, but the staff was extremely hard working and friendly and I figure that if I am lucky enough to be able to afford to go on a decent vacation, the least I can do is tip the people who are trying their best to make it enjoyable (bartenders, kids club staff, waiters, etc). We just took $60US singles and gave them out for people who gave excellent service.

For those with young children, the kids club was SO great. They have activities from 9am to 9pm and list what those activities are going to be each day so your kids can pick and choose what they want to do. Activities included ping-pong, water balloon fight, x-box, movies, arts&crafts - they will even take your kids to lunch or dinner. It was usually a battle to get our son to leave the kids club to come and hang out with us. The girls at the kids club are so sweet and treated all the kids so well.

All-in-all, it was a wonderful trip and we would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Winegirl921
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2010
Dear friends from NC:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice and happy vacation in this your resort.
Thank you also for so many good comments in our hotel our main goal is to give to our guests the best of us so they could spend a nice & quality time with their families.
For your next stay we will be more than ready to serve you and your family as you deserve:)
Hasta pronto!
virginia
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Nothing but wonderful things to say about this resort.
Three adults traveling, who like to get up by 7am start there day. Not much of a nightlife, which was fine with us, but if you really wanted to, there were things to do outside the resort.
Very clean, great service, and the food was exceptional at the resturants, even the buffet was very good. Everyone there works extremely hard, and is very pleasant.
We had upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, ocean view, two baconly's & 2 bathrooms,
Great investment, only 420 for the week. Well worth it! Stayed in building 14 overlooking the beach and the jaccuzzi, which was the adult zone.
There were a lot of families with small children, & It did not bother us.
The kids were playing at the pool side, while the adults lounged by the beach and jaccuzzi adult only zone..
If you are looking for a small, clean, peaceful vacation, this is the place to be.
Great for both families & adults, just make sure you know what building you are staying in to decide which area you would like to be by.

1 Thank aburdigirl
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
Dear friends from Virginia:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your friends had a nice and relaxed vacation in this your resort.
Thank you for sharing your review and for your positive comments.
You are absolutely right all our staff do their best to please all our guest so they can take back home nice memories of their holiday.
We hope to see you back in this your resort we are to serve you all:)
Muchisimas gracias!
look4water
Reviewed February 16, 2010

There were both positives and negatives about El Cid. I just want to give some tips and things I wish I had known.

1. There are mosquitoes - so bring bug spray. We were really bit at the Marina restaurant.
2. Food is average. None of the meals were exceptional, nor any really bad.
3. The pool was cold (in February).
4. Beware of buildings 11 and 12. There is no view. We requested a new room.
5. We were told the tip is included in the price of the all inclusive. However, it did seem like many employees were looking for tips - especially the water sports guys on the beach.
6. Always ask for premium name brand drinks. If you don't, a regular "margarita" tastes like rubbing alcohol.
7. Avoid the ownership presentation. We did not want to buy. They held us over the given 90 minutes and were very pushy. They kept bringing in more people to tell us what a great deal they were giving us and how foolish we would be to pass it up. If you do want the snorkeling tour and discount coupons and end up taking the tour. Tell them up front, you are unemployed, were gifted this trip, just inherited a time share and have points coming out of your ears. Tell them you just want the gifts, have no intention of buying, and want everything wrapped up by the end of 90 minutes.
8. Does offer wireless access, but is $12 a day.

Good Stuff
1. The beach was really nice.
2. A bar was never to far away, and the bartenders were able to make most anything.
3. The pool was great, even though it was cold.
4. The rooms were generally clean.

Have Fun.

3 Thank look4water
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2010
Dear Friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your review and for staying with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice vacation with us.
We want to thank you also for your nice comments and your observations, the best way that we have to improve our services is the vital feedback from our important guests.
Thank you again for your preference and for recommending this your resort to other guests.
For your next stay please stay with us again we assure you that you will feel a lot of improvements.
Muchas gracias!
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids ages 11, 9 & 8) stayed at the El Cid from Jan 22-29/10. We had a great vacation! We were very pleased with the resort and how it was clean and maintained. There were no bugs seen anywhere (and that must be because they are diligent with spraying in the evenings). I was afraid of seeing Alligators as shown in earlier travellers reviews on Tripadvisor but there were no animals seen except by the poolside by the staff where my kids were able to have their pictures taken with monkeys and an iguana which they LOVED! My husband told me that he saw a big Iguana one day in between buildings 18 (ours) and 19, but I never did. One thing that would have been nice would have been to have a poolside snack area but I understand the reasoning as to why mgmt may not want this and that is so that they don't invite little critters or bees etc by the pool. There is a restaurant right by the pool that is open almost always (it would be really nice if it were ALL day and not closed from ie 4:30-6pm to prepare for dinner but it wasn't too much of a hassle and inconvenience). After all, you're on vacation so just go with the flow! The resort has alot of loungers and areas to rest but we always at the pool close to the kids club which is a perfect location for it. The only downfall there is that there is no bar closer and you have to walk over to the other side to get a drink although they do have waiters coming by regularly and they were always very friendly and great to us. Our kids were disappointed that they weren't able to use the swim up bar or hot tub aread. The staff (waiters, kids club and entertainment crew) were all amazing! We loved trying new things with the entertainment staff - tequila & guacomale lessons & tasting, bike tours to Puerto Morelos with Eugene which was only a 10 min ride (no small bikes for kids though so they stayed with the kids club), rifle shooting with a pellet gun on the beach (away from sunbathers of course!), water polo games, ice cream relay games and our kids LOVED going to the kids club which was so convenient and accommodating for us all! They would post their hourly activities daily which ran from 9am-9pm. VERY accomodating! They would take your kids to lunch or dinner with them to the buffet restaurant if you wanted them to or in our case, if your kids wanted to have dinner with them and that allowed my husband and I some time to enjoy a meal or two on our own. I can't say enough about the kids club and the way that they run it. Denise and the other 3 girls were wonderful! The resort was approximately 85% full but it didn't feel like it as we didn't have to worry about getting a lounge chair in the mornings or not getting a table at dinner. You DID need a reservation in advance at the sit down restaurants for dinner but if you planned ahead 1-2 days, they would accommodate you. The food was pretty good. Good selection and our kids LOVED the nachos, chocolate cake and ice cream. We liked the cappucinos, Miami Vice's and Mimosas!! We found that by the end of our 1 week stay that we were getting tired of the food but that would be the case anywhere where you eat mostly buffets. They would have daily themes (ie Medettarian or Mexican etc) but most of the food was the same each day with a few different dishes but all was very good. On the spot omelettes, crepes, burgers and sushi were all very much enjoyed too!

There were lots of things to do at the El Cid, kayaking, boogie boarding, beach volleyball, painting ceramics by the pool (for a fee) and there were a few tables by the pool a few times a week where you could buy some jewellery or souvenirs. The prices were pretty reasonable. We went into the close by town of Puerto Morelos and visited the flea market and found that the prices there weren't that much of a saving compared to the pool vendors or even the gift shop which I must say was very nice and had a very good selection of gifts/clothes/souvenirs etc. We found it worth it to buy from the gift shop rather than spending a day on tour to Playa del Carmen where you could do alot of shopping but our main intent of this trip was to relax and have fun and not worry about where we had to go and what we had to buy as we were on vacation. We do that enough everyday at it is and just wanted to kick back and relax and that we did at the El Cid! The resort location is very secluded from others meaning that you are not in alignment with a strip of hotels like in Acapulco and we found it very relaxing. The beach is beautiful and the hammocks and scenery are breathtaking!

The nightly entertainment was good. I only saw two shows (The Mexican and Fireshow) which were both great but they started at 9pm. They had live music in the hotel lobby from 8-9pm but we found that we would start going back to our room to shower, change by 5pm and have dinner by 6:30-7pm and so we usually had too much time after that to wait for the 9pm show. Many nights we were just too tired to wait as our days were long and started really early (there were LOTS of birds in the mangroves behind buildings 18 & 19 that would start chirping wildly at 6am and again at 6pm. Didn't mind the 6pm chirping but wasn't too pleased with the 6am wakeup calls. Luckily my kids and hubbie weren't too disturbed by them but it really bothered me and they were really loud so I used some earplugs when I went to bed and then I couldn't hear anything - not even my family when they did wake up at 7:30am. I understand that the mangroves are the homes of these animals and it is all a part of nature but sometimes when you're on vacation, you don't want to be annoyed or awakened. I knew about these birds going down and requested that our room not be located close to them but was and luckily was prepared in case we didn't get our request filled. Thankfully my kids weren't annoyed by them at all or I really would have been upset.

Housekeeping was ok. They cleaned up pretty good. Unfortunately, they cleaned up so well one day that my son lost his beloved stuffed animal which may have gotten mixed up in the bedding. It was a lesson to him that he shouldn't have brought a treasure from home as it could and did get lost in this case. The replenishment of towels were plenty but we had to ask for our minibar and water to be replenised and there was no indication that the hotel provided "pillow valet service". Not a big deal but had I not done my research a head of time and known that they had different pillows (I have a daughter with allergies so I needed different pillows for her). I wouldn't know any better even though I remember seeing an add for "pillow valet service" in the brochure. Not a big deal though.

All in all, our trip was very enjoyable. We met a lot of great people and employees. Although a lot of their cooks in the restaurants looked pretty miserable. Most other employees were pleasant and would say "hola" every time we saw them. The hotel Operations Manager, Ricardo Bustamante was very personable and welcoming. He took the time to meet us upon our arrival as we had been in contact via email prior to our trip.

We found that there were a lot of families traveling together and a few weddings on the beach while we were there which was nice to see. I wish our accommodations would have been roomier for the 5 of us and more private as the shower and toilet area have a frosted door for each that can't be locked. The shower wasn't too bad as it's off to the side but the toilet area could be a problem when someone needed some toilet privacy. We made do with what we had. They had installed a blind in the shower area but being that it was on the side, it wasn't really needed. Maybe a real wooden door with a lock for the toilet area would be better.

We had pictures taken by the on-site photographers. I had seen photos from other travelers and organized to have a few nice family photos taken as we hadn't done a family portrait in a few years and needed to. I coordinated our clothing before we left for vacation and once there a time when it was convenient for all of us especially the kids as they didn't want to spend too much time away from the kids club, pool (which was AMAZING) and friends that they made. We spent approximately 45 minutes with the photographer and I have to say that I was very disappointed in the end result. I knew exactly what I want and told the photographer (Juan) this and he only took 1 shot of us in the few poses that we wanted most so selection was nil. We ended up purchasing a couple of photos but were not too pleased considering the amount of time and effort that we had made to try and get a nice family portrait. At least if he had taken more than one shot of certain poses then we would have had more options. The prices for the photos are alittle pricey too. $12 US each. No bargaining or bulk discounts. They took over 100 pictures of us during our week there (they would randomly take pics by the pool or at the kids club etc) and if they would allow bulk packages, then they would not only sell more pictures but also ADVERTISE their resort as people like me would post them, show them and talk to others about them. Maybe something for them to think about for future.

Would we travel back to the El Cid Marina Beach & Spa? The answer is yes but I would know to get a better room for our family and in another location of the resort. We met other families there that paid less than we did and not only got nicer accommodations (two room suite) but also in a nicer area of the resort. I understand that most family suites (2 doubles and 1 queen murphy bed) are situated in buildings 18 & 19 but it was still a very big disappointment to me upon hearing it from other families and knowing that they paid less on top of it. The tour operators may set the prices as a package but the hotel is the one that designs the resort, buildings and room layouts.

All in all, it was a very nice family vacation and we enjoyed ourselves alot!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Daniela M
Dear family from Ontario:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice and detailed review and for your preference.
It was really nice to meet you all and serve you in this your hotel.
Thank you for pointing some of our opportunity areas we will work harder with our staff in order to improve on those departaments.
Thank you also for commenting that you will come back to our resort and recommending us to our future visitors.
For your next stay please contact us again so we would make sure that everything will be perfect.
Hasta pronto amigos:)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We were very pleased with M.E.C. This was our first visit to this chain. They had plenty of
beach chairs, good food, nice pool area, excellent & friendly staff. The shows were so-so
We did enjoy the Fire Show. It was the only 1 outside. The rest were in the Convention Center. We prefer shows outside, especially when the weather is nice. The disco was very good! Especially if you are from the U.S. It was in the Marina Restaurant & they had a d.j. that played great dance music & you could make requests. The specialty restaurants were so-so. I enjoyed the buffet better. Our first night there was Mexican! It was GREAT! But, that was the only night they had mexican. I don't understand when in Mexico, they don't serve more of their native foods!! This is a great place for kids! They appear to have a great kid's club. We didn't have kids, so would rather have had more of
an adult type situation. The rooms were nice & they had GREAT room service. Very prompt & friendly. The only other thing we didn't like was there is very little outside
"veranda" type seating. We were a group of 10 & a few smokers in the group. We enjoy being able to sit outside & smoke and play cards & games at night. Next door at the NH Real they have tons of outdoor covered seating! I was also disappointed in the fact the the ads say "reef" snorkeling 50 yards out from the beach. Try 300 yards! To far to swim.
We took advantage of the bikes, kayaks, catamerans & everything else they had to offer.
Over all, we had a great time and the resort is very pretty. Puerto Morelos, not so much! Oh, the only other thing; they had a great band in the Lobby Bar every night. The only thing, 6 of the 7 nights were a bit much. They need to change the bands out more often.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Debi M
Dear friends from Tennessee:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your awesome review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a perfect stay in this your hotel.
We will consider your suggestions for a future so we can offer more smoking areas for our guests.
Thank you again for choosing our hotel and for sharing your review on this site.
Hasta pronto amigos:)
Chile
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We had a great week in Hotel Marina del Cid. The hotel was a great place for kids, the swiming pool with the slide was great and the beach very safe. Foode was excellent and there always was a kids menu in all the restaurants.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Dear friends from Chile:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice vacation in this your resort.
It is also nice to know that you were happy with the food and the options for your kids.
As our publicity says at El Cid there is something for everyone:)
We look forward to your next stay with us and muchas gracias!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#21 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!