My family and I recently visited the Marina El Cid between August 5th and the 11th. Prior to our visit I had faithfully read the reviews posted here to affirm that we had made a good hotel selection. Our experience was positive and I wanted to share some information for those comtemplating a visit.
A taxi to the hotel from the Cancun airport cost us $15 each. The ride from the airport to the hotel is about 25 minutes.
When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised that the hotel looked exactly like the photos posted on the site. We were promptly assisted, and told that our room was not quite ready but that it would be in 30 minutes or so. (We arrived at 3 PM and check-in is at 3PM, so this didn't seem out of the ordinary). This gave one of the staff members an "opportunity" to tell us about their grand opening specials and to offer us the benefit of going on a tour of the resort. (Mmmmmm hmmmm......I smell time-share sales here). He promised that we would be given a $50 credit for our time if we would attend the seminar. Ok...fine. I had read the other reviews and figured that we could spend an hour for a $50 discount toward an excursion.
When our room was ready (about 45 minutes later) we were taken to building 17. The room was a 1 bedroom suite with a HUGE dining room and full-size refridgerator. We immediately noticed, though, that the queen size murphy bed that we requested was not in this room. Initially, our thought was that we could push the sofas toghether, and that this would not be an issue. Then, we noticed that we didn't have any trash baskets in the room, and made a request for those. After coming back from a swim, the trash baskets had not yet been delievered and the shower was running cold.
We went to the front desk and requested an alternate room, with a murphy bed, trash cans, and hot running water. (As a sidebar - we were told that we weren't provided with a room with a murphy bed because our child wasn't 6 years old. I advised that we PAID for a murphy bed, and that they shouldn't have assumed that we would want to sleep with our 4 year old). We were quickly provided with an alternate one bedroom suite in building 10 with a slightly smaller dining area (who cares). This was close to the pool with a view of the pool and the ocean.
The crazy pool music starts at 11 AM and plays through 5 PM. After 5, there's still music, but it's subtle and not annoying as other guests have indicated.
The pool is clean, beautiful, and refresing (if slippery...be careful).
The food at the resort was good, and plentiful. The Andalus is a buffett with a variety to please most. Breakfast here is great, as there's a waffle/pancake station on one side of the restaurant, and an omelet station on the other. In between, you'll find a variety of Mexican/American foods. The Arrecife is good for lunch (poolside) with a decent selection of soups, starters, sandwiches, and full-blown entrees. The Alcazar is their "gourmet" restaurant. The atmosphere is nice, the food is good (wouldn't call it gourmet, but very nice), and the service is cordial. Plan to spend at least an hour an 1/2 eating dinner here.
We didn't bother with La Marina restaurant, and heard from others that it was "ok".
We did go on two snorkeling excursions....One that we got for free (after blowing off our "appointment" to talk to the timeshare folks day 1, they offered us a free snorkeling excursion for the three of us day 2), and one that we paid for on the 72' catamaran.
The free snorkeling excursion was done on a regular dive boat at the reef off the coast of Puerto Morelos. The reef appeared to be damaged from last years' hurricane, but the fish were plentiful and the guides were very pleasant. We booked the catamaran ssnorkeling tour, and to our surprise, turned out to be the only guests. What a treat. We snorkeled at a different location on the reef, and kayaked onto the beach from the boat. Again, the guides couldn't have been nicer, and we had a very pleasant trip.
A side-note about the timeshare meeting....it's a one-on-one sales job that you review a dorky power-point presentation for 15 minutes and are asked to hand over nearly $50,000 for vacation "points" to be used over the next 20 years. Every time you try to leave, someone else comes to your table to "survey" how you were treated and to evaluate what they can sell you. When we finally walked away, they were willing to give us a "trial"membership which would pay us back for our 6-day stay ($1,500), allow us to visit El Cid in Puerto Morelos twice (free), and allow us to visit their sister property in Costa de Sol, Spain twice(free) for the low introductory price of $3,500. We still passed.
We ate and drank everything at the resort, and are happy to report that Montezuma never came to visit. Hope this is helpful to you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to a luxury paradise of turquoise Caribbean waters, soothing breezes, Mayan cultural sites and beautiful, aromatic flora and fauna. Situated near the charming bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, overlooking the world's second largest coral reef park, this family oriented, all-inclusive beach resort offers a quiet alternative to the larger hotels in Riviera Maya. Enjoy amazing snorkeling, diving, sailing and sport fishing directly from our shores. With a selection of diverse restaurants, fabulous pools, adults-only Jacuzzi, Mayan-oriented spa, complete fitness center, full-service marina and more -- there is everything to do or nothing at all. • Family & Eco friendly Ocean Front Resort • Exclusive large suites • Great All Inclusive & Platinum All Inclusive meal plan options • Four tantalizing restaurants featuring a la carte and delicious buffets • Macondo Ocean Deck Bar with infinity pool • 22,000-square-foot pool • Beautiful landscaping, expansive sandy beach, hammocks. • Convention Center. • Ocean Front El Cocay Spa. • Full-service Marina 120-slip marina • WIFI Internet Access (fee) • Kids Club Center • Fitness center with the latest cardio equipment, free weights and a spinning class area • Pronatours Tour Desk • Half hour from Cancun/Riviera Maya International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Cancun/Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa And Beach Resort
- Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Beach
- El Cid Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos