“Mostly positive”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Mostly positive”
Reviewed July 12, 2006

My family and I spent a well deserved weekend at La marina el cid and had a wonderful time.
Positives-The Alcazar restaurant-go every night, it is awesome. The baby pool was just what kids love. The room was perfect for us, first floor so we could excape to our patio during nap time. Spacious and nicley decorated. The entire property is beautiful, tranquil and relaxing.
Negatives-I paid more attention to this for some reason......Room had some mold issues, our mini bar was empty until the last day, when they only put 6 drinks total..no snacks, no bathrobes, bottled water was scarce, had to go to 2 restaurants, a maid and finally room service to get water at 9am. The seafood restaurant told us we had to stay a week to even eat there without a charge(not mentioned anywhere) . After reading other reviews I have decided they are a little sketchy since they give people different reasons why they cannot have the lobster dinner. We are local(Cozumel) and I have to say that 99% of the lobster at restaurants is from the Pacific coast, not local catch, so they cannot say it is out of season, that's just a convinient lie.
Would we go again??? That's a hard one. We all really enjoyed ourselves, but as we were driving to the property I realized why the mangroves were all dead, the hotel built a road to the property essentially cutting off all water supply to the mangroves, yes they were damaged by Wilma, but they are dead because of the hotel road. Sad, as I am sure they could have figured out another way. Mangroves are essential to reef fish. If I would have known this first I would not have booked, but we would have missed out on a great hotel.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,762)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2006

Marina El Cid was a truly wonderful place for our family vacation this last week. We (the grandparents), the parents and the four kids ages 5 – 9 all had a great time. I have traveled to Mexico many times and if you want to have a good time, you must be prepared for a few things to go wrong, not work right or be late – that’s just the way it is. I read the reviews here before our trip and found some of the complaints to be true. HOWEVER, it was all worth it…..and then some.

Let’s start with the physical sight – it’s just great! The kids LOVED the water slide. It is made of concrete and it is fast, but it’s tons of fun. They slid down it continuously and even the adults went a few times. Attached to the same “mountain” is a cliff dive into a deep pool which they all also loved. I skipped that joy. The pool is huge and pretty with a nice swim-up bar. The rooms were quite nice and well equipped. My husband and I escaped a few times to the adult area – big beds to lie on in the shade surrounding a large hot tub – no kids allowed so very nice and quiet! The beach was what we expected. We knew before we left that there would be a lot of seaweed. The hotel rakes it up every day but sometimes it’s thick in the water – not fun to children. Also, the rocky bottom starts not to far out. You do need beach shoes. But the sand was fun to dig in and there were big palapas for us to relax under while watching.

The food was, I think, very, very good for all-inclusive food. We really liked Alcazar – the fancy restaurant. The buffet had good variety and was satisfactory. It was much better than the other all-inclusives that I’ve been to on the Riviera Maya. The drinks served wherever you wished were all quite good. The resort goes to extra lengths to keep the kids happy; every restaurant has a good kids menu, so even if you are eating seafood, they can get something they will like.

Now, the entertainment staff: We fell in love with the twins SARAH and LAUREN – 20 year olds from England, and two of the male staff CESAR and KIKE. They got us up on our feet and partaking of the all day long entertainment. We tried the water aerobics, pilates, Spanish lessons, volleyball, water polo around or in the pool. We played bingo, saw shows and attended the kids shows or discos or games at night. As I type it, it sounds corny – it wasn’t; it was fun!

The dining room staff and the housekeeping staff all tried very hard to make us happy. Sometimes at the beginning when I would order eight glasses of water with ice, it would arrived mid-meal. By the end of the week they were telling me that they would go get it…and did! If we failed to get something at the buffet, like butter or salsa, they would offer to go get it for us. Excellent Service!

• Stayed July 2006
21 Thank bjbromberg
Ridgefield, CT
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My family and I just spent one week at Marina El Cid, June 24-30. (Husband 43 yrs, myself 42, daughters 11 and 6 yrs.). Let me first say that my husband is “El Exigente” when it comes to vacations, and he is not happy with anything less than a four star resort. He notices and picks at every little detail since he is a property manager by profession, and when things are not well-run, he gets annoyed. However, HE LOVED EL CID (As did we all.)

Staff: First, the service was excellent. All the staff (and there were plenty of them) were friendly, professional, attentive, and polite, and were concerned that we were having a great time. We were never bothered by timeshare people at all. Housekeeping came promptly twice a day to clean the rooms, and we never lacked towels or anything else we needed. The waiters and bartenders also were excellent. We especially enjoyed Nolberto in the Hacienda Arrecife restaurant, who was extremely attentive. Francisco was a great bartender/waiter (I think the management should keep him at the pool bar permanently–he is so fun there. Most days he was at the adult area). The wait staff at the pools and beach were great about bringing you drinks, and our butler Alex was excellent and willing to do anything to make our stay wonderful. We happily tipped the staff $3-5 throughout our stay, and they gratefully accepted it, but never acted as if they expected it, which was very nice. We also enjoyed the Platinum Club staff, who were very attentive and receptive to any suggestions we had. Finally, I have to express my appreciation to the front desk and bell men staff, who went over and above to retrieve my Treo cell phone which my daughter had left in a cab from Xcaret. I did not know the cab number, but they were good detectives, calling friends who were cab drivers, and the supervisors of the cab companies to track down my phone, which was returned within a few hours. THANKS, GUYS!!

We used the Kids Club almost every day, and my daughters could not wait to go back.. Bere and Denise were wonderful w/ the kids, and always kept them occupied with fun activities, including swimming in the pool. It was great to get time to ourselves every day, and we just loved the soothing music and quiet atmosphere of the adult area.

Finally, the “Animation staff” (activities staff) were excellent and brought a lot of fun to the atmosphere, especially at night. My family especially enjoyed the “mini disco” on Thursday night and the show following it, and the bingo at the lobby bar on Tuesday night.

Activities: I thought they were perfect. I really enjoyed the bike tour and my husband and I loved the snorkel trip, which was included in the platinum plan. The reef which is right in front of the hotel is a National Park, and we have never seen more beautiful fish. DO NOT MISS THIS It was so much better than the snorkeling at Xcaret (which cost us $240 entrance plus about $70 in cab fare). The men who worked the beach water sports (kayaks, paddle boats, wind surfing) were very nice and helpful, and Richard gave a great sail on the Hobie cat catamaran (included). They also organized water polo and volley ball at the beach and pool every day, aqua aerobics, stretching and yoga classes (I enjoyed the stretching class). A couple of times at the beginning of our week my husband and I felt it was too noisy at the pool (the DJ or guy w/ the mike got loud)–but this was only for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, and we were able to escape to the silent adult area ( a beautiful spot). Though, as I said, I did not notice the loud music or DJ after the first two days. It certainly was not as one post said, loud music all day. Most of the time, (95%) the music at the pool was lovely, fun and relaxing vacation music. The nightly entertainment was also very good. In the lobby bar they ha a great sax player several nights, a signer or a band on others. They did not stay late, but if you are looking for serious night life, stay in Cancun. We wanted a quiet, relaxing and not crowded place. Also every night, there is a show from 9:00 to 10:00 at the pool, which was always well- done and entertaining. Finally, do not miss the massages. I had two–they were so excellent, and the therapists did a great job working out all tightness and knots.

Food/Drinks: Both my husband and I thought the food was excellent. The buffet restaurant was the best buffet we had ever been to. My husband is a real food person, so I was worried that he would not be happy (all-inclusive resorts typically are not great in this department) but he was very satisfied. We both loved the Hacienda Arrecife (by the pool/beach) and ate breakfast and lunch there often. Alcazar was great too. I had two excellent glasses of Cabernet at the Marina restaurant, we both loved the clam chowder, and I enjoyed my dinner (fish), but my husband did not love the shrimp in mango sauce (too sweet for him, and the shrimp were just medium-sized), but he enjoyed the meal nonetheless.

The drinks were great, and I was impressed with the quality of the liquor served. They had Absolute vodka, Sauza Hornitos tequila, Frangelica and Baileys, etc. The lobby bar is a centerpiece of the main building, and had many tip-shelf liquors and the skilled bartenders there mixed excellent drinks.

Other reviews complained about the room service, but we ordered it several times, and were very pleased with the quality of the food and the timeliness of delivery. Everything came within 20-25 minutes.

Rooms: The accommodations were excellent. Since we had two children with us, I really wanted a one bedroom suite (not easy to find) and ours was beautiful and very spacious. We had two baths, two TVS, and two connected balconies overlooking the adult area and the beach and ocean, a truly lovely view. The murphy bed where my children slept was very comfortable, and our king sized bed was also comfortable. I loved how they had sheets under and over the blankets. I ordered both the chiropractic and the memory pillows from the “pillow menu” and they came promptly. The memory pillow was the best for me. If you asked, they sent a DVD player to your room, and we were able to borrow several good movies at the Platinum Club (I am not sure if only Platinum Club guests can get a DVD player or if it is available to all.) The refrigerator was well stocked with sodas, bottled water, beer, and juices daily, and we made excellent coffee w/ the pot and coffee that was provided. The maids did a great jobs cleaning and there were nice amenities, with the exception of conditioners (which I sorely needed after a few days in the pool and beach). They also do not sell it in the gift shop, so bring your own.

General atmosphere: The pool is large and beautiful, and the mountain area with the slide and high dive pool made it especially fun for my children. I think they have fixed the problems other reviews noted, like the slippery tiles and rough surface on the slide. You could tell there were areas where the tiles had been removed and sandy-paint applied, especially around the slide/ kid area. The slide was a bit too fast for me, but my daughter loved it, and did not get hurt. They always had security people on top of the “mountain” area, which was a good idea..

The beach was lovely, and the staff did a good job of keeping the seaweed cleared. I don’t understand why anyone would call it small–I think it was a great size. There were plenty of palapas and chaise-lounges and hammocks for all guests–it was great not having to fight for one.
The water was beautiful, and we swam in the ocean every day. There is coral about five feet into the surf which you have to walk over (it does not hurt, but some people found it uncomfortable). My husband was smart and brought his water shoes, and had no problem w/ it at all. Next time I’ll pack mine too. By the way, in Playa del Carmen, they had the same issue w/ the coral, so I guess it is a regional thing. The only thing about the beach I did not love was the jetty on the right side (looking out at the ocean) which was made of large concrete blocks–(very artificial looking). This is the jetty for the Marina (which is on the other side of it so you cannot see the Marina from the beach or hotel). The other jetty was natural looking and lovely, so we tried to keep our gaze in that direction.

There are dead mangrove trees around the hotel, but this region was hard hit by Hurricane Wilma (the cause of this), so you cannot blame the hotel. There really is only one area where you notice this (on the left as you are walking up to the main lobby building) so it did not bother us at all. The rest of the grounds had nice landscaping, and I am sure when it fills in, it will be very lovely.

We never had a problem with mosquitos–not a single bug bite in the family, but we brought OFF just in case (and never used it).

The gym is small, but has beautiful new top-quality cardio machines (3 treadmills, 2 elliptical, and one stair master) as well as free weights, a bench, and a sit-up incline.
The guests at this hotel were lovely. There were wonderful families from all over America and Mexico, and we met several couples who were honeymooners. There were also couples without kids, from ages 20's to 60's. Everyone we spoke to was a happy customer. Also, the hotel was not crowded (actually it was like the perfect amount of people–not empty either) so we never had to wait for anything or have difficulty with reservations at the restaurants. We only saw one drunk, and the security people handled him well.

Overall, we loved the Marina El Cid. It was exactly what we were looking for–a medium-sized, all-inclusive resort on the Riviera Maya away from the crowds of Cancun, but still close to the airport. The atmosphere was relaxing, but there was plenty to do if you wanted to, the service, food and drinks were excellent, and the view , rooms and pool were beautiful. We would enthusiastically give this hotel 4.5 stars. We cannot wait to return.

37 Thank MTGS
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2006

The whole stay of 4 days was too short. a very relaxing visist, a mature place with what looked like great kid accomendatiions. the rooms were elegant, the view from the balcony was wonderful, ocean and pool. the bar in the main bldg was very nice. Everyone bends over backwards to make you stay a treat. We highly recommend it. Its not a party place, or loud unruly people. Well mannered and friendly.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, SC
Reviewed July 2, 2006

I'm not sure where the folks stayed that wrote bad reviews about this hotel, but they could not have stayed where I did during the week of June 25th-29th. The hotel is well appointed with a wonderful staff.

Highs
- The service at this hotel is impeccable. Everyone who was an employee of this hotel greeted the guests with an "hola" or "buenos dias". Throughout our stay at every bar and restaurant at this hotel, the staff honored all requests with a smile. Dirty plates were picked up promptly and empty glasses rarely were left unfilled. We left $1 tips at the end of each breakfast, lunch, and dinner meal and $5 for the housekeeper at the end of the week.

- The room was beautiful. although our view was of the empty lot next to the hotel, the room was great. We were in a junior suite with a Murphy bed that went unused, but there was ample space.

- The pool was huge and lots of fun. There was slide and a landing with which to jump in the pool. Of course the swim up bar didn't hurt either.

- Cabanas in the quiet zone. We did not spend much time on the beach, rather most of our time was spent by the pool. The cabanas were a nice retreat from the heat, and with the breeze blowing, soothing music playing, and the staff delivering drinks to you it was fantastic.

- Seclusion. If you are looking for a party you're in the wrong place, but if you are looking a place to relax and forget about your troubles this is where it's at. Lots of activity occurs by the pool (volleyball, polo, water aerobics) during the day, but there are limited activities in the evening. Even in the town of Puerto Morelos you will not find much to do.

- Food. There is lots of variety with the food. The restauarant by the pool serves Mexican fare. The buffet was good and there were several items cooked to order. Somebody took revenge on us, but I'm not sure if it was "Montezuma" or "Tequilazuma."

Lows
- Timeshare presentation. That's no suprise as you are met with that as soon as you step off of the plane. There really is no pressure. We did it and got $150 cash.

- Mosquitoes. They sprayed for mosquitoes several times during our stay, but it did not help. We went to the La Marina for dinner and left after about five minutes b/c I had so many bites. The servers ended up bringing our food to the room.

- Beach. The beach is small, and there is lots of seagrass. We decided that we would rather spend our time by the pool anyway. I've been to Cancun several times and the beaches there are a lot better.

We definitely enjoyed our stay and would come back. One of the highlights of our trip was the visit to Playa del Carmen. Playa will be where we stay the next time we visit Cancun.

11 Thank BlissfullyBelizean
SC
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Opened in Feb 06 and close to airport on a nice beach and marina. Wonderful food and very good service. Rooms were great as was the large Hot Tub surrounded by ouside canopied lounging beds and Massage area. Good shows. In room frig stocked as you like. Somewhat isolated (taxi to Cancun $40 but organized trips available sporatically...we saw no reason to leave during our 4 days). Best Massage I've ever had and I have been to Thailand! Pacific Coast and Cozumel El Cids rate lower so these facts may not hold up but for now, highly recommended.

7 Thank GB911MD
escondido
Reviewed July 1, 2006

I stayed at the Marina El Cid Maya Riviera from 24 June - 01 July. I want to start by saying that I purchased a time share with El Cid last year when I visited Mazatlan. This was my first actual experience staying at the El CId hotels, as I made my purchase while I was on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. When I purchased the timeshare, I received a bonus week stay at any of the El cid resorts so we took advantage of this week here in Cancun.

Our room was a two bedroom lock-off which was a one bedroom suite attached to a studio. It was huge. My sixteen year old daughter and eight year old daughter had their own room/bathroom/living room while we occupied the rest. Absolutely beautiful rooms. We had a total of 3 tv's and 3 full bathrooms in the suite. Our balconys were huge and they both had nice views of the ocean towards the northeast. We were in suite #1243/44.

The customer service at the hotel was phenomenal. Teresa was the "Timeshare" promotions host that we dealt with at the hotel. We took the 90 minute tour of the resort which was actually only about 60 minutes. Enrique from the sales office was just great. He lead us on the tour and explained the benefits the Cancun location. After the tour we received $50.00 to spend in the gift shop..There was no high pressure sales pitch and I found the timeshare people very friendly and helpful.

We took two tours while there, Chichen-Itza and Xel-Ha. We checked pricing on the internet and found the cheapest company was Cancunvista.com. They saved us about $30-40 per person compared to Pronatours at the hotel. Cancunvista picked up and dropped off at the hotel so it's worth looking into ahead of time. I believe Martha Cameron was the lady we dealt with on it. Chichen-Itza is amazing and I learned alot of the Maya culture on the tour. I was dissapointed that they no longer let you climb the steps of the main pyramid. Apparantly and elderly lady fell a few months ago and died. If you like snorkeling and have little kids that you want to introduce to the fun of snorkeling in a safe enviornment, I highly recommend Xel-ha. Large lagoon and lots of fun fish to see.

Both of the tours were all inclusives so we didn't pay for those days at the hotel. As for the food and beverages at the hotel, well you have to experience those for yourselves. We ate at three of the restraunts and found the buffet the best. Good variety and you get to pick and choose what you like. The mixed drinks weren't very strong and if you watch them make them they only give you about 1/2 a shot of alcohol per mixed beverage. If you ask them to double the alcohol, they will.

The resort is laid our very nicely with the pool being the center of attraction. The entertainment staff works hard to get everyone involved in the activites and have fun. The pool is large enough that you don't feel crowded and deep enough to get refreshed. There is a large rock mountain in the pool with a 10' jump platform into an upper pool which is about 10' deep. There is also a water slide that is wicked for adults. I went down it a few times and banged my elbows and knees. Kids are no problem but dangerous for adults....be careful.

The beach is fairly nice. There are rocks just offshore so be careful going out into the water. I took my snorkel gear and swam about 20 feet off the beach and started snorkeling. The farther out the clearer the water and I was able to see lots of neat stuff. just be careful getting into and out of the water. Take advantage of the Kayaks/katamaran and beach activities. great time....there is also a protected fenced in area where the staff has collected turtle eggs for safety and are waiting for them to hatch. If you are there when they hatch you get to help the babies into the water. Also there is a photographer that comes to the pool daily with different animals to take you picture with...my daughter loved the 3 month old lion cub and the baby monkey...

Realize that this is a family oriented resort and you will have a great time. If you want the party lifestyle 24/7 stay in Cancun where the bars and clubs are. if you only want a night of it you can catch a van from the hotel to the clubs...The hotel is isolated outside Puerto Morelos and far from tourist trap shopping. puerto Morelos has a few small tourist type shops but that is plenty enough for me.!

Enjoy yourselves and email me with any questions you may have.

25 Thank willcarstar
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,802 reviews
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!