Our fourth time back to El Cid was extremely relaxing. We stayed 8 days - Saturday to Saturday over the week of Easter. We thought it was going to be overcrowded because it is a popular week for many Latinos to head to the beaches. We were surprised to learn that it was the week prior that is the crazy week - so we lucked out. We were told that the hotel was at 110% capacity but yet we still had plenty of elbow room throughout the resort. This is just one of the reasons we continue to return here.
We stayed as VIP members again took advantage of the extra amenities, especially our butler, Alejandro. He was uber attentive and took care of any and every request we threw at him without prejudice and a smile on his face. Thank you, Alejandro. YOU were fantastic! We always bring down another group of friends with us each trip and the 3BR beachfront rooms fit 4 adults and 3 pre-teens perfectly.
Hint: IF you are staying in a 3BR - Beg, plead and shout to NOT be put in building 17. You will be right behind the beach bar and the noise may want to cause you to ask to be moved (as we discovered). We are not snobs but, Karaoke night was just too unbearable. Our bedroom faced directly toward the beach bar and we could not sleep. Thankfully, our concierge in the Platinum Club allowed us to move across the resort to Building 14 on the ground floor and we couldn't have been more happier. Thank you.
- NEW - Italian Restaurant! = YUM!!!!
- Alcazar - Our running favorite. Excellent food (for All Inclusive) with a changing menu every night.
- Mexican - We love Mexico but this restaurant is great if you like REAL Mexican. NOT Taco Bell/Chi Chi's. Much more traditional.
- Seafood Restaurant - Our least favorite but only because we are not big on seafood.
- Lobby Buffet - Different themes every night. If you can't find something you like there's something wring with YOU! :)
- Lobby Bar - Air Conditioned, nice retreat. A little stale but a great refuge from the early evening mosquitoes if you want a drink
- Beach Bar - I complained about it earlier but if you are a patron it's great for a bar on the sand. A little run down but it gives it character. Not a bad thing. We LOVE to see that Roberth is STILL working here after 3 years. A GREAT guy!
- Swim up Bar - Bartenders are great. They deal with all of the whiny American and Canadian children asking for their non alcoholic drinks with no tips or thank yous - yet still have a smile on their faces.
- Pool Bar - nice set up with bartenders busting their butts for YOU
- Tiki Bar (Adult Area) - nice little pit stop for the whirlpool and North End of the Beach. Pedro and Oskar put up with us and made sure our drinks were filled and brought to us frequently while on the beach o in the adult area. Thanks guys!
We are looking forward to returning Thanksgiving Week 2014 and hopefully the new wing will be open. There will be two new buildings, a new pool and apparently a new bar/snack bar on the North end of the resort. It is the same architecture as the rest of the resort so it will blend in seamlessly. I would estimate completion in July August judging by what we saw in mid April.
- $$$ Bring USD dollar bills and tip every round. It goes a LONG way. Or, if you ARE bigger drinkers. Give your "favorite" dude a $20 and see how fast you can remain standing throughout the day. Because you will never have an empty glass!
- Tip your buffet servers a few dollars. IT's just the right thing to do.
- Sit Down dinners - at least $5.
You don't have to tip, but we appreciate how hard they work for us.
Bring bug spray for the evenings. El Cid is on the ocean but behind it is 2 miles of swamp. Enough said.
IF you are a Mexico travel virgin -
There ARE bugs.
There is Mold & Mildew (It's THE TROPICS)
There are iguanas
They do speak English (for the most part) but you ARE in Mexico. Respect the Espanol!
"Why are all the TV channels except a few in Spanish? (See above)
"The internet sucks" - Guess what? you're on vacation and bandwidth is an issue. Chill out.
"The Coca Cola tastes different" - Yes. It does. It's a different blend with REAL sugar.
You ARE in a foreign country. Don't be an idiot. Respect their laws, culture and people.
Enjoy yourself and don't let little things out of your comfort zone ruin your vacation.
If ANY of these things bother you - DON'T COME.
Have a great time!
We LOVE it here and look forward to coming back "home" in November.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to a luxury paradise of turquoise Caribbean waters, soothing breezes, Mayan cultural sites and beautiful, aromatic flora and fauna. Situated near the charming bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, overlooking the world's second largest coral reef park, this family oriented, all-inclusive beach resort offers a quiet alternative to the larger hotels in Riviera Maya. Enjoy amazing snorkeling, diving, sailing and sport fishing directly from our shores. With a selection of diverse restaurants, fabulous pools, adults-only Jacuzzi, Mayan-oriented spa, complete fitness center, full-service marina and more -- there is everything to do or nothing at all. • Family & Eco friendly Ocean Front Resort • Exclusive large suites • Great All Inclusive & Platinum All Inclusive meal plan options • Four tantalizing restaurants featuring a la carte and delicious buffets • Macondo Ocean Deck Bar with infinity pool • 22,000-square-foot pool • Beautiful landscaping, expansive sandy beach, hammocks. • Convention Center. • Ocean Front El Cocay Spa. • Full-service Marina 120-slip marina • WIFI Internet Access (fee) • Kids Club Center • Fitness center with the latest cardio equipment, free weights and a spinning class area • Pronatours Tour Desk • Half hour from Cancun/Riviera Maya International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Cancun/Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa And Beach Resort
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Puerto Morelos
- Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Beach
- El Cid Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos