“A great week on a new place that met all expectations”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Canada
“A great week on a new place that met all expectations”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

When i booked I was as afraid as any of you trying to find the perfect balance between price and the comfort expected out of a hotel for my family. This hotel seriously beat all my expectations for service and customer care, the staff was always ready to help you with an effortless smile.
I have been in many resorts in many countries and this one proves that you don't need to pay a fortune to feel treated with the highest level of attention.
The resort itself is not huge but has all the amenities that will help you enjoy a pleasant time;
it is located just on the beach which mens that you will have to take a side road from the highway to get there and as consequence you may feel a bit stranded, but don't worry because taxi and shuttle services are 24 hour available to Playa del Carmen and Cancun.
This hotel certainly may be better with a hot tub for children and can also offer a few more restaurant options, however the ones in place were quite good. Don't expect gourmet food or something similar but be sure you will be really happy with the menus and flavour of the local and international cousine.
We had a great experience with the dive shop at the marina, the staff was extremely professional and guided my 11 years old son and I on a few dives to a fairly good reefs not too far away from the shore.
The only word of caution is with the car rental office at the lobby... they will try to squeeze every penny form you for a rental and likely they wont deliver what you have booked.
Overall the hotel is really good and worth to visit again.

Room Tip: Family rooms with three double beds and a balcony will do it perfectly specially if they have ocean...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your fabolous review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that all your family spent a nice holiday with us and that our resort exceeded your expectations
Thank you also for sharing your experience on this site and for recommending our resort to others, I will gladly share your review with our hotel staff and the dive center also:)
It will be a pleasure to serve all your family again real soon and thank you again for your preference and for your great review.
Kind regads to all and best wishes!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,762)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. And I am really hoping to come back to enjoy true Mexican culture and a amazing vacation. I also really appreciated Luis lizarraga and every one from the activities centre!!!!!

Room Tip: Over looking the ocean is the greatest spot and make sure you can't hear the traffic but over al...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shahara B
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are so glad that all your family had a happy holiday with us and enjoyed our services and facilities.
Thank you also for commending Luis and our activities staff: for their nice attitude)
We sincerely hope to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for your nice review and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor, amigos.
Warm regards to all!!
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My family and I stayed at the El Cid for a winter vacation in late December. Not surprisingly, this is the “high season” for the resort, and most of the guests were from Canada and northern parts of the United States. Like many others, we picked the El Cid because of its reputation as a good all-inclusive for families. We were not disappointed. It was great!

Kid Appeal: This was my eighth trip the Mayan Riviera since 2006, and first trip with children to the area. I have two adult-children in college and an 11-year old, so the resort choice had to appeal to all. Everyone loved it, and I really thought it was the perfect choice for families. My 11-year old daughter was too old for many of the Kid’s Club activities, but did enjoy the pool, ping pong, kayaking, water volleyball and, of course, the beach. There was sizable group of high school and college kids. They could be found mostly at the beach and beach volleyball court during the day, giant Jacuzzi in the evening and the disco late at night.

Food: Overall, very good. It wasn’t the best resort food I’ve ever had, but was a nice mix with many options. In my opinion, breakfast and lunch buffets at both locations were the best meals. The different evening restaurants were good, but our consensus favorite meal was at the Mexican food restaurant. There were both hits and misses. Pizza was not very good, for example. However, the ice cream/desert areas were awesome and a big hit with kids (me, too). Like many other all-inclusive resorts, evening restaurant reservations are necessary and you’ll need to make evening plans upon arrival through the concierge.

Rooms: Nice, clean and well-maintained. We packed our entire family of 5 into one large room that included extra twin bed. Be advised that the shower and toilet (opaque frosted glass doors) open individually and directly into the bedroom. There is no enclosed bathroom area, separate from the bedroom. It is an open floor plan. This caused some early awkwardness with our kids, but we quickly adapted to the situation.

Beach: The sand portion of the beach is nice and well-kept during the day. If you’re not familiar with the area, you’ll find that seaweed can accumulate in significant amounts on the beach overnight. However, the crews appeared to do a good job removing the seaweed. Without exception, the swimsuits and tanning were discrete and family-oriented. There were a few examples of the so-called “towel game” which occurs when guests reserve what they perceive to be the premier places/palapas on the beach by placing towels and items on chairs. Those were the exception, thought more people did reserve areas around the pool. My negative comments about the beach pertains to the some underwater rocky areas about 50 feet offshore. Everyone seemed to get tripped up, and it was difficult to walk there. Also, by the late afternoon, there seemed to be trash accumulating on the beach from the resort guests.

We did not use the spa, but did use workout facility.

Top Five best things about El Cid:
1. Great for families, including older kids
2. Good service throughout.
3. Pool Area is large and fun.
4. Very good food and drink
5. Rooms are large for families

A few changes that would benefit the resort:
1. Being more forthcoming about the resort’s involvement and soft selling of time shares. We were invited to a special breakfast and discounts on certain spa treatments. In sounded innocent at first. The next day we missed our “special” breakfast at the Platinum Club, and ate somewhere else within the resort. We were called at the room later that morning. Only later did we learn about the big push of timeshares sales. Some guests were, afterwards, really upset about the practice.
2. Free Wi-Fi. There is a significant charge for Wi-Fi at the resort. It is not free anywhere. We ultimately agreed to buy the Wi-Fi, but lamented that it was not free. Overall, the signals are strong, even along the beach.
3. Gym. It was overwhelmed in the morning. There are only 2-3 treadmills, 2 elliptical and a few stationary bikes. Limited workout area, but machines and weights are fair. Yoga class was very popular.

I strongly recommend El Cid for families with children of any age, and would happily return with family. While it might work as a destination for couples, it does not have the same romantic or adult allure that some other resorts in the area offer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank treyleah
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort please let me thank you for your nice comments and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you had a nice experience in our resort and enjoyed everything about your stay.
Thank you also for recognizing our team for their nice attitude and for your suggestions that are really important for us and are always so useful:)
Thank you again for your preference and for your review amigos and we hope to serve you soon.
Esta es su casa, amigos best regards!!
Manchester
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Arrived midnight Christmas Day after an horrendous journey from the UK, should have arrived at 4pm so unfortunately missed all the Christmas Eve celebrations (not El Cid's fault).

Reception was very welcoming and efficient. With the assistance of the great bellboys and golf type buggy we were in our room within 10 mins of arriving at the hotel.

The mini bar in the room was well stocked and the hotel had arranged chocolate covered strawberries, teddy bear cakes for the child (I am 40 though!!) and fruit for our arrival and the 1st of many bottles of Marbella Vino Tino.

The room was well presented, immaculately clean and welcoming. The view from the balcony was spectacular. There were three adults in the room but it was plenty big enough and the Murphy bed was very comfortable.

TOP TIP: if you are on the balcony don't shut the door all the way as I automatically locks, as we found out on the 1st morning. Our rescue would have been made much easier had we not also put on the room security catch meaning it took most of the maintenance department to break into the room to rescue us.

Went to breakfast every morning in the Alhambra (main buffet) restaurant and we got a table on the outside terrace all but one morning. There is a great selection for breakfast including a wide variety of fruit, smoothies, cereal, fruits juices, pancakes, waffles and local specialities. My Father enjoyed his five mimosa most mornings and a fresh omelette, he advises Josephina produced the better omelettes.

During the break we used this restaurant the most, the standard of service from the waiters was excellent, special mentions need to go to Alan, Daniel and Milton, all of which provided great great service with a smile.

We tried the other restaurants in the evenings and thoroughly enjoyed Alcazar (The Meditarinan) for the great tuna and Arrifca (The Mexican) which had great staff in Julio and Juan. However please beware of the Chilli Tequila, it has rather a kick to it.

The only disappointment we had was when we dined at The Marina restaurant. This is presented as the hotels star restaurant and sadly this was not the case. The service was very poor, we hard to ask 3 times for a drinks. The food was average at best and it provided the strangest tasting clam chowder I have ever had....it was a combination of sweet and cream with no other taste.

Whilst on site we spent most of our time at the adult only jacuzzi and on the beach. This is a great facility for guests that don't want to be surrounded by the hassle and bustle of children all day. The bar service here was provided by the dynamic duo of Pedro and Oscar. Oscar is a brilliant bar man and Pedro has his own unique style which would not suit everyone but we really appreciated. They both looked after us very very well.

The hotel is very strict on keeping the under 18 s out of the jacuzzi, it would be made easier if all guests accept this rule applied to them and stopped arguing when security politely reminded them of the rules. Some American guests needed to be reminded of the rules on a very regular basis!

As we had booked the Platinum Package we had access to the Platinum Club lounge and all the associated perks. Here is where we met the true star of the resort Rodri. What he lacks in his English skills he truly makes up in customer service. He provide tequila lessons, taught us how to say happy we year in Spanish and even started singing my fathers holiday theme tune of "Guantanamo" every time he saw us. He really made the holiday for us, he is a true credit to the hotel.

There are a few reviews that are negative and after spending two weeks at the resort I honestly can't understand them.

Yes the sea just off the beach is a little rocky, however this is because it is reef, investing $15 in a pair of aqua shoes mitigates that issue.

Yes there is a lot of seaweed at times, however the hotel are very efficient at clearing this away, which is a thankless and never ending task for them.

The only issue we had whilst in the resort was with some of the American guests, they seem to forget the that the entire world does not revolve around them. The Mexican, Canadian and Eastern European guests were all great and seemed to share our views.

Overall there is nothing that needs to be changed or worried about if you have booked go, we should happily return to this resort and honestly cannot fault it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank tjones73
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your amazing review and for your your stay with us.
We are so glad that you had a nice holiday with us and enjoyed our services and facilities.
Thank you also for taking the time to post your experience on this site and for your compliments to Josefina, Oscar,Pedro and many more for their nice service and kindness, I already share your nice comments with them:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all in another occasion and thank you again for your lovely review and for traveling from UK to visit El Cid.
Cheers amigos and we hope to see you soon!!
Upstate New York
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Family of three (my wife and I and 16 yo daughter) visited from 12/29 - 1/4. As others have mentioned, I worried about some of the negative reviews of this place, and while I understand that each person's experiences are subjective, if your expectations are realistic, you won't be disappointed.

Arrived shortly before 2pm (CancunTransfers.com, by the way... excellent). We checked in and were told our room wouldn't be ready until after 3 (which is the stated check-in time, so no problem there). From check-in we were met by Fernando who explained the layout and operations of the resort and asked us to attend the timeshare sales pitch breakfast the following day. We politely declined and that was the last we heard of it. After lunch our room still wasn't ready, but we were given another room that was. 3rd floor, low numbers, building 18... Not billed or sold as an ocean view room, but there definitely is a view of the ocean from there. Check-in experience: Perfect.

We stayed in a "family room", 2 queens and a murphy bed. Big enough, clean, good looking rooms. Beds were on the hard side, not uncomfortable, we all slept well. Accommodations: Great.

Food is always a difficult thing to gauge, and our experience was way better than "just okay". Our family ate at one of the two buffets for all of our meals except one at the Marina. Not everything was great, but we all agreed that we each found something that was really good at every meal. Dinner at the Marina was a medium step up from that... good food, good service. I wouldn't hesitate to go back there for a meal if we returned. The drinks we ordered sometimes varied in quality depending on where you ordered them from but for the most part were fine. No, it's not "top shelf" liquor... but when you're mixing it with mixers and juices it doesn't need to be. Zero complaints about that. Food/drink: Really good.

I am an early riser, so I got up in the morning and reserved beach/pool chairs. If you sleep in in the morning, you might have difficulty getting a spot when the resort is full. The beach (as people have mentioned) has a lot of seaweed and plastic that washes up, but while we were there they worked very hard to keep it clean all day long. The pool is fantastic. It's a family resort, so there were activities and music and things going on most all of the time. Pool/beach: Great.

Nearly everyone who worked at the resort was absolutely outstanding. One semi-cranky bartender was the only exception to the fact that the service was outstanding and helpful everywhere we went. Servers, bartenders, grounds people,pool servers, housekeeping, front desk people, the concierge, everyone we interacted with was friendly, helpful, and eager to please. I would like to be able to name a couple of specific individuals who stood out, but to be honest, everyone was outstanding. Service: Great

So was there any downside? Not really. If you go in with the understanding that you're at a family oriented resort in a near-tropical climate in (probably) a foreign country, your expectations should be reasonably well met. What about the things you hear about in other reviews? I can't speak for everyone, but some of the things speak for themselves.
* Yes, there is indeed a somewhat musty smell coming form the air conditioner in most rooms. You're in a near-tropical climate with constant 70-80% humidity. Air conditioning ducts collect moisture in those conditions... it's what they do.
* The food isn't five-star dining. You are usually eating buffet food that was prepared for 500-600 people, not an individually prepared meal. I read one review that complained that "all there was was Mexican food and seafood". At a seaside resort in Mexico? Really? Huh... Go figure.
* There are indeed a lot of kids and sometimes loud music at the pool. It's not a couples resort, it's a family resort.

With those things in mind, I would not hesitate to recommend this as a great place for a family vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Russell B
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your awesome review and for selecting our resort.
It was so nice to read that you and your family had a nice stay with us and that you would like to come back in a future to our resort.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another occasion and to share your great comments with our hotel staff, thank you for your compliments to them:)
Thank you again for your review and for sharing your comments on this site.
Best regards familia, muchas gracias!!!
Reviewed January 10, 2014

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GO TO THIS HOTEL unless you are a sucker and like to be ripped-off. The facilities appear to very nice. The hotel is located down a very long dirt road in the middle of no where so you are pretty well locked into staying at the facility. The nearest town is Puerto Morelos which which is very poor economically. The people we interacted with at the hotel property were down right rude. This is not what you would expect from a group of people trying to "push" a timeshare property. We own timeshares in Florida and were interested in this location. Would not even consider this place. I could go on, but do not want to waste your time or mine. Bottomline-VERY POOR. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. Better places and better locations in Mexico.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Justaharleyguy
Virginia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Our family, 2 adults and 2 teens spent 9 blissful days at the El Cid over the Christmas Holiday. Every staff member from the front desk at check in to the servers at the restaurants were particularly nice. The service is excellent and with a smile.
The food was good and typical of an all inclusive. We ate everything and never got sick – seafood, lettuce, guacamole, cheviche, cheese, smoked fish, mussels, fresh vegetables – all the things that you long for but are afraid to eat in a foreign country. An all inclusive is great with teens as they are frequently hungry. The hotel also has room service (which is just an extra nice touch if for some reason you can’t make the short walk to the restaurant!)
We found the grill for lunch at the pool to be the best meal. The drinks at the pool bar were not watered down. A tip helps. There were chairs open at the beach at 9:00 AM and again at 3PM. The beach was clean when we were there, especially considering that there were heavy storms.
It was very relaxing and not at all crowded. We paid extra for the beach front view and it was wonderful. Since we had four people, we had a suite, very nice and large, with a lovely balcony and a Jacuzzi. Very clean – the housekeeper came every day, and the service re-stocked our refrigerator every day.
The on-site photographer was excellent, and he gave us the choice of a digital copy on a disk, which is our preference.
It was perfect for us because we loved to stay at the resort and there was enough for our kids to do to keep them happy. Great vacation!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Julia C
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your fantastic review and for choosing our resort.
Thank you also for sharing your review on tripadvisor, amigos:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your fantastic review and for selecting our resort.
Muchas gracias and we hope to serve you soon amigos, Happy New Year!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,801 reviews
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!