“Beautiful and Relaxing”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Beautiful and Relaxing”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I traveled with my boyfriend , my sister and her boyfriend. Dec 2012 . The grounds are absolutely beautiful and clean. I traveled 2 weeks before xmas and there was xmas decor all over, beautiful trees and lights all over the resort. My room was also very clean, and large enough the beds were very comfy the only problem for me were the mosquitoes ughh all day and night could not even use my balcony for this reason so bring a repellent. I had a partial ocean view on the ground floor which was pretty good i got to my room pretty quickly.

- The pool is HUGE and the pool bar was alot of fun. Dont get drunk otherwise swimming to get out wont be fun LOL. The food was AMAZING!!!! at all buffets and restaurants. There is a large variety of food Italian, Mexican, French Japanese, American etc. I have traveled to other all inclusive resorts in Cancun and Punta cana but this resort has been the best in the food dept. No one should ever go hungry , they also offer room service. The drinks are average but must try the Riviera Maya which is a signature drink very fruity and tasty.

-The beach is beautiful for the most part it was relaxing however swimming is not so great because it is very rocky. None the less i loved the beach and the drink service was excellent. BIG shout out to ALBERTO he went above and beyond to satisfy not only us but all who were at the beach. It was pretty chilly both early in the morning and at night by 5:30pm the sun was basically gone. We usually went to dinner around 7:30 pm every night and i always wore a light sweater.

The staff are very friendly and very hardworking they did everything they could to keep the clients happy at all times. Tipping is very much appreciated by the staff. I never had anyone ask me for a tip nor did anyone seem to be waiting on one . I left 2 dollars daily for the housekeeping staff and i am glad i did so the room was always spotless!

We went to Xel- Ha and it was the funnest thing we could have done on this trip , loved every second of our excursion . Beautiful park , the lazy river was just fabulous . They have bike riding , swimming with Dolphins, snorkeling while going down the river ETC. It Took us 5 hours to go across the river. The food and drinks at the park were also very tasty. This is a MUST DO!!!!!!!

CONS: We could have used a little more entertainment not much to do for couples. Pretty boring both during the day and night some entertainment but not for us. This resort is more for kids since they have a kids club and more and also for the elderly because it ts very relaxing. Not so much for people in the mid to late 20's like us. Def Not a party place at ALL . They have a disco but it was pretty lame we had to walk right out bc it was pretty empty no more than 15 ppl. Other then that i LOVED this place and def recommend it!!! :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank pearlz77
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your fantastic review and for selecting our resort.
It was so nice to read that you and your friends had a happy holiday with us and that you enjoyed all our services and facilities.
Thank you also for recommending El Cid and for your lovely pictures:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all again in another occasion and thank you also for complimenting our hotel staff.
Esta es su casa amigos, see you soon and thank you again for selecting El Cid Resorts and for sharing your experience on this site!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,717)
Savannah, GA
Reviewed September 29, 2013

El Cid made my honeymoon as absolutely fantastic as it could have possibly been with everything that was in their control. The hotel room was fabulous: clean & comfortable. There was a double vanity in the bathroom, a huge walk in shower, a fridge that always had 2 beers, 2 cokes, 2 waters etc, a nice sized closet, flat screen TV, a balcony with a stunning view of the beach (building 15), a nice lounging area, and a kitchenette. Don't know why you'd need a kitchen with the all inclusive package, but it was nice to have.

Speaking of all-inclusive...the food at all the restaurants was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed going in and eating every time at all of the restaurants on the resort. The drinks were awesome. I am a beer drinker...my only two choices for all-inclusive were Modelo Especial, Corona, and Leon Negro (good beers, but I am very particular) but the mixed drinks more than made up. The pool and jacuzzi are great and we loved the swim up bar.

The resort grounds are impeccably manicured and are extremely lush and beautiful, giving the resort a remarkable natural and tropical feel. The staff was incredibly friendly and very willing to do whatever it took to assist us and resolve what little issues we may have brought up.

GREAT JOB EL CID

Room Tip: Can't beat an ocean view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alankielor
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your excellent review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your wife had a relaxed honeymoon with us and enjoyed our resort.
Thank you also for sharing your review on this site and for your nice pics:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your wife again in another occasion and thank you again for your your kind comments and for Preferring El Cid Resorts.
Esta es su casa amigos, congratulations and we hope to see you soon!!
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This review is from our stay in March 2013. We stayed a week here and had a great time. We did get two FULL days of non-stop rain, which sort of put a damper on our vacation overall, but obviously that is an uncontrollable circumstance. When we first arrived to Marina El Cid, we were put in a room on the first floor facing away from the ocean. I do have to say that this room wasn't enjoyable. It was a "romantic sweet", so we did have a large hot tub in our room, but the patio opened up to a swampy area where all we could see is tree trunks and bushes (no view at all). This wouldn't be too bad except for the fact that we vacation to escape snow and dark skies and this room didn't allow a lot of sunlight- not a big deal during the day because we were at the ocean, but it would've been nice to have a nice, warm sunny morning on our patio. We asked to be upgraded, but they didn't have anything available until our 3rd day there. We ended up moving rooms in the middle of our vacation, but it was well worth it. We moved to the 3rd floor of the building right in front of the pool. We loved the view of the ocean and we loved being able to see activity from our balcony. The pool was great. I didn't think I would like 1 large pool (our last resort had various pools on site), but it was nice to have one large pool to lounge at. We never felt we were missing anything and the best part is the kids had their own area (we don't have kids and like to relax without kids on vacation). The buffet was awesome with different themes every night for dinner. I felt they took time to prepare their food instead of just providing mass produced products. Dinner reservations were a pain in the butt to make at the restaurants if you weren't a VIP guest. I wish that system was better. The beach was great, but if you wander to the right towards the marina or to the left towards town, the beach gets really dirty and gross- but it's taken care of nicely at the resort. We also wished they provided snorkel gear for guests without a charge. The adult hot tub area was very nice to have- especially on our rain days and later in the evening when it got cooler. A time share woman approached us at check-in and made it seem like we had to meet with her- we sat down and talked a bit with her, but told her we weren't interested and she let us go and left us alone for the rest of our trip. The gym was decent for a resort- it was smaller, but provided an extra room for classes or extra workout space and a FANTASTIC view. I also took a pilates class on the gazebo off shore- beautiful. Overall, if you're looking for a getaway and are satisfied with a good beach, good food, and a clean, comfortable hotel, you should be happy staying here. If you like to wander and explore the area more, it is sort of off the beaten path causing you to find transportation. Good stay.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the floor you're on, just make sure you're facing the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank snords
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you had a relaxed stay with us and enjoyed our resort last march.
Thank you also for sharing your review on tripadvisor, we are always improving our resort and our service with the valuable reviews of our hotel guests.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another occasion and thank you again for your nice review and for your preference.
Esta es su casa amigos, we hope to see you soon!
Regina, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was my first time to Mexico - and I was so impressed I will go back! We got to the airport, found our bus easily - about a 45 min trip from Cancun to our resort. Once we got there, check in was effortless. We had a room upgrade, and it was gorgeous - overlooking the jacuzzi and ocean, very impressed! The rooms were immaculate. The staff was very friendly, very helpful, and just downright happy to there. The food was amazing, and I even tried new foods I've never tried before. The pool area was clean, and tidy. The beach was clean, I did notice there were lots of seaweed in the morning, and they drove down the beach cleaning it up. The ocean was a little chopping and not clean, however that could be the time of year we were there, and the storms out at sea. Everything is easily within walking distance. I will definitely go back to this resort, and recommend it to anyone and everyone! My favourite part was the swim up bar, loved that :) A couple of notes, they have an animal called a Coati, coming to our room, we saw one, and screamed - note - they are nice, don't be scared. Secondly for souvenirs, venture into Puerto Morelos - very nice people, and will bargain with you.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room by the jacuzzi as that is the 'quiet' zone. But definitel...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your stay with us and for your awesome review.
We are so glad that you and your friends had a terrific holiday with us and enjoyed our service and the food.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on this site amigos, I will make sure to share your comments with our kitchen team:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all again in a near future and thank you again for your visit and for choosing El Cid Resorts.
Muchas gracias amigos and best wishes to all!!
Bay Shore, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2013

First, pre-arrange your ride to the resort. There are a vast number of people at the airport looking to give you a ride at what might or might not be a fair price.
Don't be nervous when you turn off the highway onto a dirt road. It does lead to the hotel. Check-in was a breeze. Be aware of all the people in the lobby. There are many that wear the hotel jackets but work for the timeshare portion of the resort. They make a lot of promises. We ended up taking the tour and we did get a $100. credit that we used toward a trip to the ruins at Tulum. It was a nice half day trip worth taking.
Our room in building 16 overlooked the pool and beach. The room was nice and big. Comes with a stocked fridge. Room service is included. The room service food is good but the menu is limited.
The pool is nice but be careful, the tile in the pool is very slippery. There is a very nice area for the kids to slide, jump and play. It can get a bit noisy with all the planned activities. There is a quiet adults only area with a nice jacuzzi.
He beach was nice and clean but the water is not what you would expect. It wasn't that tranquil blue that you would think it would be.
The food wasn't as good as I hoped. We made reservations for each night we were there. The Marina did not live up to the hype. The food was ok and the portions were small. The best food we had was at El Alcazar. Good food and nice sized portions. Breakfast and lunch were average.
The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Even thought it is all inclusive, tipping is not discouraged and a tip will go a long way especially during the busy season.
Overall we had a very nice stay and would come back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Todd T
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your wife had a relaxed holiday with us and enjoyed our resort:)
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor, for recommending us and for your advices to our future guests that I am sure that will be really helpful.
We hope to serve you and your wife again in another opportunity and thank you again for your preference and for your kind review.
Hasta la vista amigos and best wishes from Puerto Morelos!!
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was our second time staying at Marina El Cid (previously Aug 2011). We had an amazing time yet again.

The resort is a perfect size for not having to walk to far, but more importantly to give you a more personal service. Several staff remembered us from our previous visit, but every member of staff that we had dealings with were friendly and helpful. Many of them even remembered the children's names! All staff took great pride in their job and their appearance - even the gardeners and maintenance staff, all were dressed immaculately.

Our old friend, Gilberto, kept us supplied with any drink we could think of whilst we lay in the sun. When we ran out of ideas, he came up with more cocktails!

As a family of 5 , we stayed in a family room in block 18. Great sea view. Plenty big enough, although we could have done with a little more storage (drawers). The minibar was restocked daily. The turndown service only happened 2-3 times, but to be honest having someone else make the beds and tidy up after us made my holiday!!

The food was excellent, with plenty of choice. Always fresh. The tables were cleared away really quickly. Excellent service. The only negative has to be the damp chairs in the Arrecife restaurant. Either the restaurant entry needs better policing when costumes are obviously still wet, or the chair pads need to be removed at lunch time.

The entertainment staff had a thankless job trying to encourage people off their sunbeds to join in the activities. There was certainly plenty to do. A special mention to Juan, Michel and Carlos.

Our children loved the kids club. Lots of different things to do every day. Even though they would only pop in for an hour or two to do the craft activities. A special mention to Lorena (who they loved) and the gang, Merzy, Michel and Angie.

The highlight of our trip was being involved with releasing the baby turtles. The children still talk about this 2 weeks later.

Many thanks to all of you for another fantastic holiday. We really didn't want to come home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carol M
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your lovely review and for your your second stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a fantastic holiday with us again and enjoyed the attentive service from our hotel staff.
Thank you also for sharing your experience and for recognizing the work from our staff:)
It will be a pleasure to serve your family again for third time in another occasion and thank you again for your lovely comments, for your second stay and for sharing your review on tripadvisor.com
Cheers familia and we hope to see you soon!!
San Diego, CA
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have traveled frequently to the Cancun area and have probably never been treated as nicely as we were at this hotel. We loved the staff!!!
We are big beach people. The beach was nice - but if you walk up past the marina, the beach at The Jade is a gorgeous beach. Stunning actually. The Jade resort looks very interesting for a future stay.
The rooms were fine. Housekeeping was average.
The food was okay at the buffet. The mediterranean restaurant was so disgusting, we politely excused ourselves and walked out. The mexican restaurant was very good. Some of the dishes were a bit weird - but always something good to enjoy at dinner. The marina restaurant was superb. Sadly, you only get one meal there for a one week stay.
There were regular activities at this hotel, which my teenage daughter really enjoyed.
The pool activities were hilarious to watch, fun to participate in.
There is wild life everywhere (which we really enjoy). Sea turtles laying their eggs on the beach at night. YES - we did get to witness this!!! Crocodiles in the pond on the resort. Beautiful birds singing day and night.
For us, the hotel is just too far out of Playa Del Carmen. Big money to taxi in and out.
The WIFI is a HUGE problem is you want to stay connected during your stay.
1) It is an expensive add on - not included (per device)
2) The WIFI signal is horrible. Drops all the time. Very unreliable.
Interesting that the folks we met who stayed at The Jade resort next door said their WIFI signal was pretty bad too.
The on sight evening entertainment was just not good quality.

With all of this said, our overall trip was quite enjoyable.
And, yes, we all got a little stomach upset, even though we were careful not to drink or use the tap water for toothbrushing. But hey, it's Mexico.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank onemeek
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that your family had a happy vacation with us and enjoyed our services and activities.
Thank you also for sharing your review on tripadvisor and for recommending our resort to others:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your kind review and for your preference.
Muchas gracias and we hope to serve you soon amigos!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!