Spent a week at the El Cid Spa and Beach Resort in mid-July. Has a jr. suite which is 1 room (plus bath) with a balcony. Our unit overlooked the adults only jacuzzi and beach. From the third floor the view was wonderful.
4 restaurants on site all had great food, although after a week, we were wanting to move to something else. Breakfast and Lunch are buffet only. The food at lunch varies, breakfast not so much. Three restaurants are available by reservation for dinner. Make reservations as soon as you can- they do run out. Seating appears limited by a desire to conserve not by limited space. So the restaurants don't fill up- but the reservations do.
The facility is very clean. Staff are everywhere picking up, cleaning, adjusting. It does show wear and there were little issues like a broken safety latch and broken thermostat in the room. Both were addressed as soon as we pointed them out. The grounds are very pretty with a lot of flowers and plants.
On site activities are limited- there are hobie cats but you can't sail them. A staff member must take you on a short (5-10 minute) circle then drop you off and pick up the next rider. Kayaks are popular but you are just in the ocean in front of the resort so there is not much to maintain interest. Brink snorkeling gear, there are nice patches accessible from shore. Drinking and eating are very popular. There is a very large pool kids love (we didn't visit) and evening activities like guitar hero, disco dancing, a mexican dance show, etc. It changes every night.
If you want to hang at the beach or in the pool, eat on site, maybe drink, then this all inclusive is OK. But most tours will take you away from the hotel before breakfast and bring you back late afternoon or sometimes even 8-9pm. So you will be buying meals off-site. You've already paid for them on-site so be aware.
The downside to our stay was a sense that we were always a mark- someone from whom money could be made. The photographers were nice and our pictures are decent, but expensive. In the end they wouldn't allow us time to sort through and choose the ones we wanted so finally just through in extras to get us to leave- AFTER we had stood in line a full hour waiting for others to choose. Then they wouldn't give us the promised prints saying they had already given us more pictures on the CD than we paid for.
The Vacation Club sales pitch is time consuming. It will last at least 2 hours, although the standard line is 1 to 1.5. They have a script and won't deviate. My family has a membership and so I only needed questions answered. When a closer (a manager) was brought in and realized I wouldn't upgrade, he refused to answer any questions and told me to read the paperwork. The promised incentives to attend the sales pitch were only partially forthcoming. In the pre-interview they offered many things, changing what we would get leaving us unclear about exactly what we were being offered. Finally, some of the items were written down. When we went to the sales pitch, they reviewed the incentive offerings and began modifying the list in the end writing down different items. Read carefully what is written down, take your own notes and be aggressive in demanding incentives like tour certificates and vouchers for airport transportation in writing. Finally, be aggressive about getting what you want. Don't accept a 2 for 1 spa deal until you know that the spa price is twice anything in the states and then they want additional if you want to use the 2 for 1 with your partner in a shared spa room.
We always felt safe at this property and staff were generally responsive to requests for room service, etc.
Bottom line- I'lll go back. But only because the family has points that allow me to stay for free. If it were not all-inclusive, I would feel better about going and then being away for day trips, spreading some cash in Puerto Morales for meals, and not feeling like I was giving money away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to a luxury paradise of turquoise Caribbean waters, soothing breezes, Mayan cultural sites and beautiful, aromatic flora and fauna. Situated near the charming bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, overlooking the world's second largest coral reef park, this family oriented, all-inclusive beach resort offers a quiet alternative to the larger hotels in Riviera Maya. Enjoy amazing snorkeling, diving, sailing and sport fishing directly from our shores. With a selection of diverse restaurants, fabulous pools, adults-only Jacuzzi, Mayan-oriented spa, complete fitness center, full-service marina and more -- there is everything to do or nothing at all. • Family & Eco friendly Ocean Front Resort • Exclusive large suites • Great All Inclusive & Platinum All Inclusive meal plan options • Four tantalizing restaurants featuring a la carte and delicious buffets • Macondo Ocean Deck Bar with infinity pool • 22,000-square-foot pool • Beautiful landscaping, expansive sandy beach, hammocks. • Convention Center. • Ocean Front El Cocay Spa. • Full-service Marina 120-slip marina • WIFI Internet Access (fee) • Kids Club Center • Fitness center with the latest cardio equipment, free weights and a spinning class area • Pronatours Tour Desk • Half hour from Cancun/Riviera Maya International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Cancun/Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa And Beach Resort
- Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Beach
- El Cid Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos