“Not that great”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Rafael, California
“Not that great”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

First experience at an all inclusive was not what I expected. A few good things:
+ upgraded us to the largest room after we raised issue that their website did not accurately convey the size of the room and arrangement.
+ The beach was really nice.
+ The spa was excellent but a bit pricey.
+ Evening entertainment was really good with a new/different act every night.
+ Mostly good for families (see caveat below)
+ Not too far from sites/airport
+ Beautiful peaceful views from most of the rooms.
+ Nice pool.
+ Excellent landscaping/grounds.

A few negatives:
- Horrible, horrible, horrible, almost non-existent room service. You call for food/drink and they would many times just not show up with the goods. Upon several reminder calls, you might get what you ask for before the day is done.
- The property as a whole is showing major signs of disrepair and decay. They took over this property 5 years ago and have not done much to keep it alive. The rooms were not that clean and there was signs of insects, mold, and general lack of care. Lots of poor patch ups. I've seen better care at motels in the states.
- The food pretty much sucks. I'm not that much of a foodie but I expected better variety and quality.
- Don't do the "buy up plan" as this just "guarantees you" advanced reservations at the restaurants. It really wasn't worth it.
- They do a drinking contest every week as an "athletic activity" at the pool in broad view of families swimming around. One time, they had to take a person away in an ambulance who was vomiting/passing out. Glad my kids didn't see that but the next week we just stayed away.

Room Tip: If you decide to go here because you can't afford anything better, just don't get any of the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian B
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your stay with us.
We are glad that you enjoyed some aspects of your holiday but we sincerely regret that you did not enjoyed some others.
Regarding to the incident on the contest unfortunatelly that lady had an accident and it has nothing to do with alcohol.
Regarding to the other issues we will work in your feedback, amigos.
Thank you again for your stay with us and for your opinion.
Our compromise is to improve our services and facilities and that is a fact after eight years of operation.
We are at your service anytime, best regards!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,818)
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at El Cid June 9 - 14. It is a wonderful place. From the time we arrived until we left the staff was friendly and helpful. Staff did not pressure us at all to do the time share presentation. They said if we were interested just let them know. It is not a huge place which I really liked. We had a room in building 16 on the first floor and had no problems. There were always plenty of lounge chairs on the beach and by the pool at anytime of the day. Kudos to the activity staff. They have activities going on most of the day which was a lot of fun. The bike tour to Port Morelos was worth doing. For three of the dining areas you had to make reservation for dinner which we ate at two of them with no problems getting reservations. The buffet has something for everyone. I want to give a special thanks to the bartenders Roberto and Chris. They were wonderful. I would definitely go back again.

2 Thank Yknotboat
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that you had a lovely family vacation in our resort and that you took advantage of all the activities that our animation team prepares for all our guests.
Thank you also for sharing your opinion on tripadvisor.com and for recognizing our hotel staff for their hard work:)
It will be a pleasure to serve your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your review and for selecting El Cid Resorts.
Muchas gracias and we hope to see you soon!!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Place is nice and clean, staff and customer service are great and very friendly. Food is average, our friends had a stomach problems. What I don't like is a beach. A lot of rocks under the water. Not a romantic place, but a great place for the kids. If you are planing to go for a trip ( parks, fishing, scuba diving ) go to the Puerto Morelos (20 min by walking) and get all trips much cheaper.

1 Thank Matvey Z
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that you had a relaxed stay with us and enjoyed our services and facilities.
Thank you also for sharing your opinion on this site amigos.
We hope to serve you again in another occasion and thank you again for your first vacation with us and for your preference.
Warm regards from Puerto Morelos, esta es su casa amigos!!
Renfrew, Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and i went here for our honeymoon.... NOT a good place for that. Alot of kids and people yelling all the time, even at 4am! The food was not great, it was actually not very good at all. We also got food poisioning after eating at the marina restuarant. The staff dont handle complaint well, they alway have excuses and never do anything to help.
The bed was extremly uncomfortable!
The maid went into out room when we were out, with the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door! This happend twice actually.
OH and we are CLUB PLATIUM memebers! Once they get your money, they dont care about how your stay is.
But i must say, it is beautiful there, and nice size rooms. The snokeling from the resort is the best snokeling around, it was a great experience!
I would say this hotel is a 3 Star, but it is rate as a 5.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your review and for your stay with us.
We regret that our resort and service did not exceed your expectations.
Thank you also for your positive comments amigos.
We always assist to our guests in every manner that we can but we can not accept any responsability for something that is not our fault.
We are at your service anytime and thank you again for your stay with us and for your feedback that help us a lot to improve our resort and services.
Kind regards!!
pa
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I read hundreds of reviews prior to my visit, so I was very prepared and knew what to expect. I can't say that I agree with the previous post which tells you to ignore the negative reviews but what I will say is to read the reviews carefully and make sure that the negatives would not bother you because the negatives are definitely true. Most of the negatives I knew would not be a problem for me, except for the FOOD but I decided to take a chance and I will get to that later.

First let me start with CHECK-IN. We were 2 adults and 2 children (6 & 9). Of course the only
building they offered to put us in was bldg. 19 unless I paid for a room upgrade. So I did and we ended up in bldg. 17 in an ocean front room. I thought the room and location of the bldg. along with the view was amazing. The upgrade was definitely worth it. For whatever reason though he told me the PLATINUM option was not available, not sure if this was because all of the platinum rooms were booked but I didn't stress over it since the upgrade cost was less than the platinum cost and I did not see a need for the other services the platinum upgrade offered.

Immediately after check-in we were approached by a gentlemen offering to show us around the resort, we knew he was a TIMESHARE SHARK and politely told him no thank you and kept it moving. I was only approached one other time by a shark mid-way through the trip while I was looking at activity brochures. She claimed she could offer me a special promotion but again I knew what that meant so I told her no thanks and walked away. As long as you are aware of them and their tactics you will be able to avoid them. Do not let this steer you away from choosing this resort.

The RESORT & STAFF are simply amazing. I was really impressed by the size of the pool. It never felt crowded and you could always find a place to relax or you could participate in the many activities offered. The activity staff is really incredible! They do an awesome job keeping you entertained at this resort. The shows are good, the fire show is the best and the kids really enjoyed the magic show and the trivia challenge. And of course, the cliff and slide are a big hit for adults and kids. We just wished it didn't close so early. Do be cautious of the slide, it is the most slippery and dangerous slide I have ever experienced. I also loved the layout and landscaping. Everyone is very nice and friendly. Shout out to Francisco at the Swim up Bar, Oscar, and Rooster. All super nice.The maintenance and maid staff do a great job. I believe there is a shortage of wash cloths on the resort though because when we asked for some we were told we had to wait for them to dry. The resort is clean, but I have seen cleaner. This is very important to me. I am very picky when it comes to cleanliness.

After the pool, the next best feature of this resort is the KIDS CLUB. The girls there are great! My kids were begging to go back each day. We only let them stay a few hours each day, but it was never enough. The club offers an excellent line up of activities each day. The most memorable for the kids was the camp fire on the beach where they made smores.

Now my only complaint that could keep me from returning was the FOOD. The buffet food was terrible, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It taste like it was recycled food from the day before just thrown together to make a different dish. I'm pretty sure that is exactly what is being done. We tried the Thai restaurant which was a strange creation of dishes but I did enjoy their salad bar selection. We also tried the Mexican restaurant which was the only place I found with edible food. The best TIP I can give you is to eat at the Mexican restaurant and when there or even at the buffet only eat the food that is made to order, for example, they will make you a steak, chicken, fish, or an omelet for breakfast right there on the grill the way you want it. Once I learned that I became more satisfied with the food. The drinks are not so great either, they are very watered down, especially the frozen drinks. Don't waste your time...just do shots, LOL.

A few other negatives to keep in mind:
-hard mattress (but you can request a pillow topper)
-beach is rocky, full of seaweed, and water looks lurky (if your going just for the beach, choose another resort)
-resort is surrounded by swamps so you will smell the musty smell in some areas

I also would like to mention to be careful when venturing off into tourist areas such as Playa de Carmen. My family was targeted too by a shop owner who claimed he was our waitress at EL CID and lured us into his shop to tell us since he was our friend we should by something from him. Later on we figured out that he saw the bracelets we had on from EL CID. Luckily, we didn't buy anything from him. But be aware of this SCAM.

Overall, I would say this was an awesome vacation. I feel like we got our monies worth and the kids had a great time. Yes, there are a few negatives about this resort but for my family they did not outweigh the positives. You just have to do your research and make the decision for yourself. I would be willing to give this place another visit but I just hope they improve their food. If the food is still not good the next time I return, then I would definitely not go back a third time. There are just too many other places to try.

Room Tip: Try to get bldg. 14, 15, 16, or 17
6 Thank seetheworldb4ureyes
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that all your family enjoyed our resort with the exception of the food.
All our buffets and dishes are prepared everyday with the best ingredients and following all the HACCP standards to try to please every palad.
I will make sure to share your comments with our executive chef and his team.
It will be a pleasure to serve you for second time in a near future and thank you again for your kind review and for your preference, amigos:)
Warm regards, esta es su casa!!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My family, including four adults and five children just returned from El Cid. We travelled 6/16-6/23 and stayed in two adjoining suites in Bldg. 12. My family had a one bedroom suite and the rest of the family stayed in a connecting Junior Suite. The rooms were very clean and spacious and the setup was perfect for the 9 of us. We requested to be on the ground floor and we were granted this request as well as the adjoining rooms which was a pleasant surprise upon check in.
Check in was pretty quick and then a friendly time share representative introduced herself and directed us to lunch. She asked that we come back and talk to her for a tour after we ate, but we did not, and we did not hear from anyone the rest of the trip.
We ate at the buffet in the main lobby for almost all of our meals throughout the week, mainly because we loved a few of the servers (Raymundo, Alejandro, Alan), but also because we found the food plentiful and delicious. By the end of the week my husband was a bit tired of the buffet, but it worked out well when trying to feed five kids.
We spent most of our time at the pool as we all loved the cliff jump and slide and found the poolside activities really fun. The entertainment team did a great job of inviting people to participate without being obtrusive or pushy. The poolside bar service was definietely a standout for our group and we felt like we were treated like royalty by Gilberto, Liborio, and our favorite bartender Roberth.
We had a great time at the beach as well and loved using the Hobie Cat with Oscar and borrowing Boogie Boards to splash in the waves.
The nightly entertainment was decent, we liked the fire show and the Caribbean show most of all.
Only one of my three kids used the Kids Club as the other two did not want to be inside, they preferred swimming all day, but my 8 year old daughter loved making crafts and just spending time with her favorite teacher Merce.
Our room was cleaned daily by 11:00 am and we received turn down service nightly. The staff always fulfilled our request for more beer or specific drinks in our fridge, which we appreciated.
Overall we had a wonderful time especially for the price we paid, and my kids are already asking me when we can return.
Our only suggestions for further improvement would include bottled water being available at the bars and restaurants, and if possible the addition of a pool or beachside snack bar with quick food you could grab between meals. My husband pointed out that some of the bartenders were not friendly with the kids when they requsted drinks, but I can understand as they were often times busy serving adults and would have frequent requests for virgin drinks, which were mostly wasted. We encouraged our kdis to drink water, lemonade or sprite rather than "blender drinks".
I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a budget friendly family vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your awesome review and for choosing our resort.
We are so glad that all your family had an beautiful holiday with us.
Thank you also for trusting on the reviews of tripadvisor.com and for complimenting our hotel staff for their nice service and attitude, by the way we loved your pictures amigos:)
We hope to serve your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your review, for your preference and for complimenting our most valuable resource, our hotel staff.
Best regards and see you soon!!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our family spent a week at El Cid, beginning of the June. We were first time in Mexico. We heard so much about hospitability in Playa de Carmen resorts. We choose El Cid by reading the reviews from the individuals that visited resort before us. I must admit the negative one made us a bit nervous, before we went there.
Let us tell you something, ignore all negative comments all together. Resort is wonderful and the staff, they spend every atom of energy to please their guests. The accommodations, the food, the beach, everything is so great. If you want to lie on the beach and spend seven days reading book, no one will bother you. If you like to be active, there is a staff fully dedicated to entertain you with all kind of activities.
We were treated as kings, and we also felt safe all the time. We can’t wait to return. Special thanks to Jim Alexander, Gregorio Eusaquio, Augusto, Oscar, and many more. We will miss you all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your fabolous review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that all your family had an unforgettable holiday in our resort.
Thank you also for trusting on the reviews of tripadvisor.com and for complimenting our hotel staff.
There will be always good and bad reviews but the most important thing is to take the best of each review to improve our services and facilities:)
We hope to serve your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your review, for your preference and for your trust on El Cid.
Muchas gracias amigos, see you soon!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#23 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!