Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
$448
$329
$210
  • Breakfast included
Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
$263
$541
$489
HotelsForEveryone
7,282 results
All reviewsplatinum clubmurphy bedcliff jumpinfinity pooltime shareplatinum servicebedroom suitekids clubconvention centerwater shoesboogie boardsitalian restaurantfamily vacationfire showmain poolmain buffetswim up bar
Reviewed June 20, 2013

El Cid is a delight. We went on a family vacation from June 10-15. The weather was perfect and the resort itself was great. My family and I love the Puerto Morelos area and this is the 3rd resort we have been to here. It was also our favorite. So let me give you both the good and bad and why I rated it 4 instead of 5 stars.

The good. The resort is clean and the staff is great. I had a blast talking with many of the staff and they always were very friendly, helpful and just a delight to talk with. Entertainment staff was very energetic and always had us involved with activities. We played beach volleyball everyday and participated in some of the games. We also went to all the nightly entertainment show which were great (have seen some bad ones at other resorts). The grounds, room and overall the whole facility was kept in great condition. Seemed like someone was always cleaning something.

The room was fine for what we needed. We had a Junior suite so my wife and I had a king bed and my daughter slept on the queen murphy bed. It was a place to get cleaned up, change and sleep. Staff cleaned it well on the days we asked and always restocked our mini bar with what we had drank the day before.

Food and drinks. We only ate at the buffet, because some of the menus at the restaurants were interesting and our 13 yo always found something she liked at the buffet. The food at the buffet was good. Always good fresh choices. Did I enjoy it all, no. But I did always find something I liked and never left unsatisfied. Which unless you are going to a supposed gourmet all-inclusive, what else can you ask for. Wait staff for the most part were attentive and did a good job. Drink were plentiful and tasty. The best is they have Corona on tap.

We also met lots of nice people from all over. Its nice to be able to talk and meet other people from different parts of the US and around the world.

We had no problems with people trying to push the timeshare presentation on us. They told us once if we were interested to go to ALcazar restaurant in the morning and listen to the presentation.

The pool is fantastic. Large, easy to find a niche to hang out in. Jumping rock and slide was fun for both me and my daughter. Nice to swim laps in the morning too. Pool bar was nice, but did get crowded at times. Easy to get chairs around the pool. We had pick of chairs still at 900 in the morning. Beach was always wide open, and you could have got whatever location you wanted. Pool chairs did fill up later in the day.

I also really enjoyed the location. It seems to be all by itself, but yet is close enough to town if you do want to go experience small town Mexico.

There are a few negative which made me give it 4 instead of 5.
The beach. The sand is beautiful, but it is not the most picturesque beach. Also like other have said it is rocky and best to bring water shoes.
No place to just grab a snack during the day. I understand they don't want food around the pool, but it would be nice to have a place to grab a quick snack without having to go into a buffet restaurant.
Rooms. Beds were hard and took a couple of days to get used too. We were in a lock-out room and we could hear our neighbors too easily every time they came into their room. Especially their kids. And it would be nice if there was a wall between the living area and bathroom area. That way we would always have to be changing in the shower for privacy.

I would highly recommend this resort for a nice family vacation. Especially if you can find a great deal like we did. If I do go back, I will get a one bedroom suite so we can have a bit more privacy.

Hope this helps and if you go, enjoy.

3  Thank G-Town_Travelers
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your fantastic review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that you had a happy family vacation and enjoyed every aspect of your holiday.
Thank you also for your suggestions that are really important for us and help to offer a better resort for the enjoyment of all our guests:)
It will be an honor to serve your family again in another oocasion and we thank you again for sharing your great review on tripadvisor and for your preference.
Esta es su casa amigos, best wishes!!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I went to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We found a quiet spot and enjoyed a beautiful intimate moment while we read our vows to eachother. This is a memory for our lifetime. The hotel was beautiful and had everything you could ask for and some things you didn't even know you needed! The room was spacious, and clean, with a balcony for morning coffee, and evening sunsets. The 5 restaurants were excellent and the live music every night was just our style! Everyone was so warm and friendly, we are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your husband spent a nice holiday with us and that you found our resort simply perfect.
Thank you also for sharing your review on this site and for celebrating your 20th. anniversary with us:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your husband again in another occasion and thank you again for your excellent review and for your preference.
Estas es su casa amigos, see you soon!!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Let me start off by telling all future travelers that when writing a review, I try to be as objective as I can. With that being said, here is what my family and I experienced when visiting Marina El Cid 06/10/13-06/16/13.

Corresponding with the resort prior to our arrival was a breeze. I emailed management with a simple room request and they always responded promptly.

When we first arrived, we checked in. After reading reviews daily before our trip, I knew what to look out for when people referred to the time share vultures. Unfortunately, the majority of the resorts in Mexico have allowed these timeshare sales to fester and seeing all the potential victims of their sales pitch is comical. They are everywhere at this resort.

ROOM:

Our room was 1643. It was absolutely perfect for us. We were on the 4th floor with wonderful views of the pool and ocean as requested. The housekeeping did a fine job everyday. Our air conditioning could have been a little better but it was acceptable. It had all the amenities that we needed for a family of 3. We also paid the $60 fee for our wifi. It worked fine for us and the connections were generally quick. For us, it was worth the cost.

RESORT GROUNDS:

As mentioned in previous reviews, the resort is very clean for the most part. The landscaping is beautiful with tropical foliage manicured perfectly. The public facilities such as restrooms were not always clean. The beach was just fine as there are plenty of palapas, hammocks and sun beds available for use. The water was not the typical turquoise blue still picturesque nonetheless.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Poolside and convention center shows were entertaining. A little cheezy but entertaining. Shows were over before 9pm and the resort gets real quiet. There's not much else to do. As others have stated, a taxi to either P.M or PDC is outrageous. The activities crew during the day do a good job. The lobby doesn't have much going on. Most resort in mexico have a lively lobby.

I can't say enough for the "kids club". All the staff were absolutely great with our 5 yoa daughter. Everything from arts/crafts, swimming, eating, movies to learning our daughters name was top notch. The kids club alone made it worth considering coming back. With that being said.......

FOOD:

The food I must say was a disappointment for the most part and such to the point I would consider another resort. Breakfast was somewhat ok for my wife and I, that is, if they could keep their food stations replenished. Lunch and dinner at the buffet had the same issue. Far to often, buffet pans were empty and people would be standing around. Please keep in mind that the resort wasn't full by any stretch of the imagination. This should never have happened. The other restaurants were simply not very impressive either. The staff always seemed to be stressed and overworked and perhaps reflective of the subpar food. I understand that this may be a little subjective when it comes to peoples palates, but believe me when I say the food is a disappointment. A big let down in my book as a lot of reviews spoke positively of it. We did take advantage of the room service which was prompt and decent.

NOTABLES:

Staff that are truly worth mentioning for a "job well done" are the kids club staff and Liborio for serving drinks around the pool. Liborio would get to know you, has personality, picked up empty cups and always smiled while hustling to quench our thirst. Mr. Bustamante should seriously recognize the aforementioned staff.

In closing, we'd return to this resort but only for a really good price. Knowing that there are many other choices, I will be constantly searching. Email me if you have any questions and want more details. Happy and safe travels and a special hello to Wayne, Cheri and Grace.

Room Tip: We requested a room with pool and ocean view. We were assigned 1643 and love the location. Never loud as other reviews have stated. It was close to everything.
5  Thank mikec

Dear friends
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed our resort and our facilities excepting for the food.
As you well commented we are so lucky to receive guests from several countries from the world and we try to offer some selection for all tastes.
Thank you also for recognizing Liborio for his hard work, we always share the reviews with our hotel staff and we know that our staff is the main asset of our resort:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all in a near future and be sure that we will work in your suggestions amigos.
Thank you again for your review and for your stay with us.
Warm regards, muchas gracias!!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We traveled to El Cid as a family vacation June 10-14. My husband and I were accompanied by our two teenage sons.
PROS- The resort grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. Everything was kept tidy, clean etc. Definitely has a tropical feel. The rooms looked very nice and housekeeping was quite efficient in keeping them clean. We were on the 3rd floor of building 18. We had a partial ocean view from here and was perfect (this was without the upgrade they try to get you to do at check in). The pool is AWESOME! This was definitely the highlight of the resort. We all had fun jumping off the rock formation, playing water volleyball, tossing the football and utilizing the swim up bar. Again the pool was very clean, water was crystal clear always and there was always seating and lounge chairs available for use. The beach was beautiful with ample lounge chairs and many hammocks for use. We didn't partake in the beach activities although I did see them offer sand volleyball, kayaks, boogie boards. Drinks were plentiful and the waiters and bartenders do an awesome job!
Cons~ The air conditioner in our room did not keep up. I dont' believe we ever got the room temp below 72, which is a little warm for sleeping.
If you didn't make reservations in the restaurants a day ahead of time you couldn't get in. Twice we tried the day of and they said they were full, even though when walking past them at any given time they may have been 1/3 full. Very discouraging.
Would have liked some type of snack/grill etc that you could go to at anytime, maybe poolside. Instead if you are hungry in between meals you have to get dressed and go back to one of the restaurants.
The ocean off the beach has many big rocks...so beware...wear your water shoes. There is also a lot of debris seaweed that washes up in this area. Otherwise the beach was great.
NO NIGHTLIFE. If you aren't ready to go to bed after dinner, there isn't much else to do. The resort literally closes down at 9 pm it seemed like. Would be nice to have somewhere to go other than the lounge bar (which was freezing).
The last day we were there, the resort became overrun with mosquitos. There seemed to be thousands outside our hotel door, stairwell etc. We had many bites each by the time we left.

Overall we had a really great time at the resort. As far as coming back I am not sure if I would or not. There are so many resorts to try in Mexico!!!!

1  Thank Vice2010

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are glad that your family enjoyed your holiday with us with the exceptions that you explained on your review.
Every afternoon we spray all the public areas to prevent mosquitoes but as any resort in Puerto Morelos there are mangroves around and it is raining season on these months.
We will work in your feedback and we are always listening to our guests and the reviews of tripadvisor that help us a lot to improve:)
We would like to thank you again for your review and for your preference familia and we would love to have you back in a near future.
Muchas gracias and kind regards!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The trip was amazing! There are some amazing staff members at the resort. I can't say enough about Sara she went out of her way to make sure our birthday and anniversary friends of ours felt special. She was so sweet and helpful. Kudos to Sara!!

The entertainment team by far the best I've ever seen at any resort! Carlos, Mich, Chocolate, Vanilla, and so many more were amazing! Went out of there way to make everyone feel great! Also I do have to say the team from PA did win many of the events!! lol Great job on entertainment!! Also the new girl Gabby blew us away. We were at a show in the convention center one of the kids in our group needed to use the restroom she didn't just point to it she walked him to the restroom. As you can see we had a ton of great experiences at this resort! This is still one of the cleanest resorts I have ever been on. El Cid always surpasses our expectations.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your perfect review and for your frequent visits to our resort.
We are so glad that all of you spent a great holiday with us and appreciated the attention of our animation team , they are so good jeje:)
We will share your great comments with all our team and we hope to serve you again in another occasion, amigos.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor and for being already, frequent guests of El Cid.
Muchas gracias y hasta la vista amigos!!