El Cid is a delight. We went on a family vacation from June 10-15. The weather was perfect and the resort itself was great. My family and I love the Puerto Morelos area and this is the 3rd resort we have been to here. It was also our favorite. So let me give you both the good and bad and why I rated it 4 instead of 5 stars.
The good. The resort is clean and the staff is great. I had a blast talking with many of the staff and they always were very friendly, helpful and just a delight to talk with. Entertainment staff was very energetic and always had us involved with activities. We played beach volleyball everyday and participated in some of the games. We also went to all the nightly entertainment show which were great (have seen some bad ones at other resorts). The grounds, room and overall the whole facility was kept in great condition. Seemed like someone was always cleaning something.
The room was fine for what we needed. We had a Junior suite so my wife and I had a king bed and my daughter slept on the queen murphy bed. It was a place to get cleaned up, change and sleep. Staff cleaned it well on the days we asked and always restocked our mini bar with what we had drank the day before.
Food and drinks. We only ate at the buffet, because some of the menus at the restaurants were interesting and our 13 yo always found something she liked at the buffet. The food at the buffet was good. Always good fresh choices. Did I enjoy it all, no. But I did always find something I liked and never left unsatisfied. Which unless you are going to a supposed gourmet all-inclusive, what else can you ask for. Wait staff for the most part were attentive and did a good job. Drink were plentiful and tasty. The best is they have Corona on tap.
We also met lots of nice people from all over. Its nice to be able to talk and meet other people from different parts of the US and around the world.
We had no problems with people trying to push the timeshare presentation on us. They told us once if we were interested to go to ALcazar restaurant in the morning and listen to the presentation.
The pool is fantastic. Large, easy to find a niche to hang out in. Jumping rock and slide was fun for both me and my daughter. Nice to swim laps in the morning too. Pool bar was nice, but did get crowded at times. Easy to get chairs around the pool. We had pick of chairs still at 900 in the morning. Beach was always wide open, and you could have got whatever location you wanted. Pool chairs did fill up later in the day.
I also really enjoyed the location. It seems to be all by itself, but yet is close enough to town if you do want to go experience small town Mexico.
There are a few negative which made me give it 4 instead of 5.
The beach. The sand is beautiful, but it is not the most picturesque beach. Also like other have said it is rocky and best to bring water shoes.
No place to just grab a snack during the day. I understand they don't want food around the pool, but it would be nice to have a place to grab a quick snack without having to go into a buffet restaurant.
Rooms. Beds were hard and took a couple of days to get used too. We were in a lock-out room and we could hear our neighbors too easily every time they came into their room. Especially their kids. And it would be nice if there was a wall between the living area and bathroom area. That way we would always have to be changing in the shower for privacy.
I would highly recommend this resort for a nice family vacation. Especially if you can find a great deal like we did. If I do go back, I will get a one bedroom suite so we can have a bit more privacy.
Hope this helps and if you go, enjoy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to a luxury paradise of turquoise Caribbean waters, soothing breezes, Mayan cultural sites and beautiful, aromatic flora and fauna. Situated near the charming bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, overlooking the world's second largest coral reef park, this family oriented, all-inclusive beach resort offers a quiet alternative to the larger hotels in Riviera Maya. Enjoy amazing snorkeling, diving, sailing and sport fishing directly from our shores. With a selection of diverse restaurants, fabulous pools, adults-only Jacuzzi, Mayan-oriented spa, complete fitness center, full-service marina and more -- there is everything to do or nothing at all. • Family & Eco friendly Ocean Front Resort • Exclusive large suites • Great All Inclusive & Platinum All Inclusive meal plan options • Four tantalizing restaurants featuring a la carte and delicious buffets • Macondo Ocean Deck Bar with infinity pool • 22,000-square-foot pool • Beautiful landscaping, expansive sandy beach, hammocks. • Convention Center. • Ocean Front El Cocay Spa. • Full-service Marina 120-slip marina • WIFI Internet Access (fee) • Kids Club Center • Fitness center with the latest cardio equipment, free weights and a spinning class area • Pronatours Tour Desk • Half hour from Cancun/Riviera Maya International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Cancun/Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa And Beach Resort
- Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Beach
- El Cid Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos