“Excellent trip to El Cid”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 20, 2013

El Cid is a delight. We went on a family vacation from June 10-15. The weather was perfect and the resort itself was great. My family and I love the Puerto Morelos area and this is the 3rd resort we have been to here. It was also our favorite. So let me give you both the good and bad and why I rated it 4 instead of 5 stars.

The good. The resort is clean and the staff is great. I had a blast talking with many of the staff and they always were very friendly, helpful and just a delight to talk with. Entertainment staff was very energetic and always had us involved with activities. We played beach volleyball everyday and participated in some of the games. We also went to all the nightly entertainment show which were great (have seen some bad ones at other resorts). The grounds, room and overall the whole facility was kept in great condition. Seemed like someone was always cleaning something.

The room was fine for what we needed. We had a Junior suite so my wife and I had a king bed and my daughter slept on the queen murphy bed. It was a place to get cleaned up, change and sleep. Staff cleaned it well on the days we asked and always restocked our mini bar with what we had drank the day before.

Food and drinks. We only ate at the buffet, because some of the menus at the restaurants were interesting and our 13 yo always found something she liked at the buffet. The food at the buffet was good. Always good fresh choices. Did I enjoy it all, no. But I did always find something I liked and never left unsatisfied. Which unless you are going to a supposed gourmet all-inclusive, what else can you ask for. Wait staff for the most part were attentive and did a good job. Drink were plentiful and tasty. The best is they have Corona on tap.

We also met lots of nice people from all over. Its nice to be able to talk and meet other people from different parts of the US and around the world.

We had no problems with people trying to push the timeshare presentation on us. They told us once if we were interested to go to ALcazar restaurant in the morning and listen to the presentation.

The pool is fantastic. Large, easy to find a niche to hang out in. Jumping rock and slide was fun for both me and my daughter. Nice to swim laps in the morning too. Pool bar was nice, but did get crowded at times. Easy to get chairs around the pool. We had pick of chairs still at 900 in the morning. Beach was always wide open, and you could have got whatever location you wanted. Pool chairs did fill up later in the day.

I also really enjoyed the location. It seems to be all by itself, but yet is close enough to town if you do want to go experience small town Mexico.

There are a few negative which made me give it 4 instead of 5.
The beach. The sand is beautiful, but it is not the most picturesque beach. Also like other have said it is rocky and best to bring water shoes.
No place to just grab a snack during the day. I understand they don't want food around the pool, but it would be nice to have a place to grab a quick snack without having to go into a buffet restaurant.
Rooms. Beds were hard and took a couple of days to get used too. We were in a lock-out room and we could hear our neighbors too easily every time they came into their room. Especially their kids. And it would be nice if there was a wall between the living area and bathroom area. That way we would always have to be changing in the shower for privacy.

I would highly recommend this resort for a nice family vacation. Especially if you can find a great deal like we did. If I do go back, I will get a one bedroom suite so we can have a bit more privacy.

Hope this helps and if you go, enjoy.

3  Thank G-Town_Travelers
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your fantastic review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that you had a happy family vacation and enjoyed every aspect of your holiday.
Thank you also for your suggestions that are really important for us and help to offer a better resort for the enjoyment of all our guests:)
It will be an honor to serve your family again in another oocasion and we thank you again for sharing your great review on tripadvisor and for your preference.
Esta es su casa amigos, best wishes!!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,837)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I went to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We found a quiet spot and enjoyed a beautiful intimate moment while we read our vows to eachother. This is a memory for our lifetime. The hotel was beautiful and had everything you could ask for and some things you didn't even know you needed! The room was spacious, and clean, with a balcony for morning coffee, and evening sunsets. The 5 restaurants were excellent and the live music every night was just our style! Everyone was so warm and friendly, we are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your husband spent a nice holiday with us and that you found our resort simply perfect.
Thank you also for sharing your review on this site and for celebrating your 20th. anniversary with us:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your husband again in another occasion and thank you again for your excellent review and for your preference.
Estas es su casa amigos, see you soon!!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Let me start off by telling all future travelers that when writing a review, I try to be as objective as I can. With that being said, here is what my family and I experienced when visiting Marina El Cid 06/10/13-06/16/13.

Corresponding with the resort prior to our arrival was a breeze. I emailed management with a simple room request and they always responded promptly.

When we first arrived, we checked in. After reading reviews daily before our trip, I knew what to look out for when people referred to the time share vultures. Unfortunately, the majority of the resorts in Mexico have allowed these timeshare sales to fester and seeing all the potential victims of their sales pitch is comical. They are everywhere at this resort.

ROOM:

Our room was 1643. It was absolutely perfect for us. We were on the 4th floor with wonderful views of the pool and ocean as requested. The housekeeping did a fine job everyday. Our air conditioning could have been a little better but it was acceptable. It had all the amenities that we needed for a family of 3. We also paid the $60 fee for our wifi. It worked fine for us and the connections were generally quick. For us, it was worth the cost.

RESORT GROUNDS:

As mentioned in previous reviews, the resort is very clean for the most part. The landscaping is beautiful with tropical foliage manicured perfectly. The public facilities such as restrooms were not always clean. The beach was just fine as there are plenty of palapas, hammocks and sun beds available for use. The water was not the typical turquoise blue still picturesque nonetheless.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Poolside and convention center shows were entertaining. A little cheezy but entertaining. Shows were over before 9pm and the resort gets real quiet. There's not much else to do. As others have stated, a taxi to either P.M or PDC is outrageous. The activities crew during the day do a good job. The lobby doesn't have much going on. Most resort in mexico have a lively lobby.

I can't say enough for the "kids club". All the staff were absolutely great with our 5 yoa daughter. Everything from arts/crafts, swimming, eating, movies to learning our daughters name was top notch. The kids club alone made it worth considering coming back. With that being said.......

FOOD:

The food I must say was a disappointment for the most part and such to the point I would consider another resort. Breakfast was somewhat ok for my wife and I, that is, if they could keep their food stations replenished. Lunch and dinner at the buffet had the same issue. Far to often, buffet pans were empty and people would be standing around. Please keep in mind that the resort wasn't full by any stretch of the imagination. This should never have happened. The other restaurants were simply not very impressive either. The staff always seemed to be stressed and overworked and perhaps reflective of the subpar food. I understand that this may be a little subjective when it comes to peoples palates, but believe me when I say the food is a disappointment. A big let down in my book as a lot of reviews spoke positively of it. We did take advantage of the room service which was prompt and decent.

NOTABLES:

Staff that are truly worth mentioning for a "job well done" are the kids club staff and Liborio for serving drinks around the pool. Liborio would get to know you, has personality, picked up empty cups and always smiled while hustling to quench our thirst. Mr. Bustamante should seriously recognize the aforementioned staff.

In closing, we'd return to this resort but only for a really good price. Knowing that there are many other choices, I will be constantly searching. Email me if you have any questions and want more details. Happy and safe travels and a special hello to Wayne, Cheri and Grace.

Room Tip: We requested a room with pool and ocean view. We were assigned 1643 and love the location. Never l...
5  Thank mikec

Dear friends
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed our resort and our facilities excepting for the food.
As you well commented we are so lucky to receive guests from several countries from the world and we try to offer some selection for all tastes.
Thank you also for recognizing Liborio for his hard work, we always share the reviews with our hotel staff and we know that our staff is the main asset of our resort:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all in a near future and be sure that we will work in your suggestions amigos.
Thank you again for your review and for your stay with us.
Warm regards, muchas gracias!!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We traveled to El Cid as a family vacation June 10-14. My husband and I were accompanied by our two teenage sons.
PROS- The resort grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. Everything was kept tidy, clean etc. Definitely has a tropical feel. The rooms looked very nice and housekeeping was quite efficient in keeping them clean. We were on the 3rd floor of building 18. We had a partial ocean view from here and was perfect (this was without the upgrade they try to get you to do at check in). The pool is AWESOME! This was definitely the highlight of the resort. We all had fun jumping off the rock formation, playing water volleyball, tossing the football and utilizing the swim up bar. Again the pool was very clean, water was crystal clear always and there was always seating and lounge chairs available for use. The beach was beautiful with ample lounge chairs and many hammocks for use. We didn't partake in the beach activities although I did see them offer sand volleyball, kayaks, boogie boards. Drinks were plentiful and the waiters and bartenders do an awesome job!
Cons~ The air conditioner in our room did not keep up. I dont' believe we ever got the room temp below 72, which is a little warm for sleeping.
If you didn't make reservations in the restaurants a day ahead of time you couldn't get in. Twice we tried the day of and they said they were full, even though when walking past them at any given time they may have been 1/3 full. Very discouraging.
Would have liked some type of snack/grill etc that you could go to at anytime, maybe poolside. Instead if you are hungry in between meals you have to get dressed and go back to one of the restaurants.
The ocean off the beach has many big rocks...so beware...wear your water shoes. There is also a lot of debris seaweed that washes up in this area. Otherwise the beach was great.
NO NIGHTLIFE. If you aren't ready to go to bed after dinner, there isn't much else to do. The resort literally closes down at 9 pm it seemed like. Would be nice to have somewhere to go other than the lounge bar (which was freezing).
The last day we were there, the resort became overrun with mosquitos. There seemed to be thousands outside our hotel door, stairwell etc. We had many bites each by the time we left.

Overall we had a really great time at the resort. As far as coming back I am not sure if I would or not. There are so many resorts to try in Mexico!!!!

1  Thank Vice2010

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are glad that your family enjoyed your holiday with us with the exceptions that you explained on your review.
Every afternoon we spray all the public areas to prevent mosquitoes but as any resort in Puerto Morelos there are mangroves around and it is raining season on these months.
We will work in your feedback and we are always listening to our guests and the reviews of tripadvisor that help us a lot to improve:)
We would like to thank you again for your review and for your preference familia and we would love to have you back in a near future.
Muchas gracias and kind regards!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The trip was amazing! There are some amazing staff members at the resort. I can't say enough about Sara she went out of her way to make sure our birthday and anniversary friends of ours felt special. She was so sweet and helpful. Kudos to Sara!!

The entertainment team by far the best I've ever seen at any resort! Carlos, Mich, Chocolate, Vanilla, and so many more were amazing! Went out of there way to make everyone feel great! Also I do have to say the team from PA did win many of the events!! lol Great job on entertainment!! Also the new girl Gabby blew us away. We were at a show in the convention center one of the kids in our group needed to use the restroom she didn't just point to it she walked him to the restroom. As you can see we had a ton of great experiences at this resort! This is still one of the cleanest resorts I have ever been on. El Cid always surpasses our expectations.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your perfect review and for your frequent visits to our resort.
We are so glad that all of you spent a great holiday with us and appreciated the attention of our animation team , they are so good jeje:)
We will share your great comments with all our team and we hope to serve you again in another occasion, amigos.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor and for being already, frequent guests of El Cid.
Muchas gracias y hasta la vista amigos!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We travelled as a group to the Marina El Cid, Riviera Maya for 7 nights, June 8 – 15th 2013. Our group consisted of my family ( 2 Adults, 6 kids ranging from 10 – 19), In-laws in their 70’s, and several other families with children ranging from 13-22. Total of 28 people. There we things I enjoyed about the resort, and things I didn’t. I will go into detail below listing the pro’s and con’s.

PRO’s
GROUNDS - Small resort with everything being conveniently accessed. All building are close to the pool and lobby. Never a far walk to get anywhere (except the convention center, which seems to have been an afterthought, and seems to be in an odd location). The grounds are immaculate, with workers out everyday cleaning from morning until night. Beautiful landscaping, flowers, trees, etc.. Feels very tropical and lush.

ROOMS – very nicely furnished and clean. We were in building 14 which was absolutely perfect. Our 1 bedroom suite faced directly out to the Sea with amazing views from the room and balcony. Since we had the 1 Bedroom we had 2 separate rooms, so it was a large area, and very convenient when traveling with children. Our 4 boys stayed in another Junior Suite that was attached to the 1 Bedroom Suite. We had the Platinum Service/Rooms, so that is why we were in the oceanfront rooms. No complaints about the room (except no Jacuzzi tub or bathtubs) Our air conditioning worked well, and beds, although firm, were comfortable enough. I did notice small holes in some of our sheets, but the sheets were clean, so I didn’t mind the small little holes.

CON’S
LOCATION – I know others might disagree with me, but I found the location to be a negative. Very secluded, and it’s costly to get anywhere off resort. Cab ride into Puerto Morelos (which is only 1.5 miles away) is $20/rt. Cab ride to Playa Del Carmen (about 30 miles away) is $80/rt. We walked to Puerto Morelos and it was extremely hot, limited shopping, extremely pushy vendors, and nothing to do. Ended up taking a water taxi back for $20 for our entire group. Marina El Cid wouldn’t let them dock at the resort, so they had to drop us off on the beach a few feet out. Didn’t realize I was going to have to jump off the boat into the water to walk back up on the beach.

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT – Due to the small size of the resort, it lacks many of the features of larger resorts. At the last resort we went to (Ocean Coral) we had a coffee shop, a sports bar, entertainment in the lobby every night, teens club, etc.. At Marina El Cid, all there is to do is swim, lay out, eat, and drink. Each night at Cid, there was a woman in the lobby singing extremely loud jazz music and American oldies. I personally go to Mexico to experience the culture and hear Mexican Music. The last thing I want to hear on vacation in Mexico is a lounge singer singing slow jazz and oldies LOUDLY. Was awful. Same singer, every night. They would host shows by the pool, but it wasn’t a theater. They simply lined up chairs that were already around the pool, and there was never enough seating. ONLY exception was the Magic Show our last night. They had it in the convention center, and it was great! Basically, after dinner, if you had no interest in continuing to drink, there was absolutely nothing to do.

PEOPLE/PATRONS – This is the category that really sealed the deal on us never returning to Cid. They bill themselves as a family resort. However, in the 20 years that I have traveled to Mexico, I have never encountered so many trashy people and had my children witness so much inappropriate, adult film, behavior. The pool bar was taken over with a bunch of drunk 20 year olds one day. They crowded the entire bar, so that it was about impossible to get a drink. The proceeded to get completely drunk, yelling, cussing, with girls kissing each other. At some point, and older guy (late 60's) got involved and started ordering more shots, and basically acting like an idiot. He finally hobbled out of the pool after drinking all afternoon, and totally wiped out beside the pool. He pulled/knocked over a trash can, and it spilled it’s sand/ashtray top all down his back. What a scene… At the same time, all the drunk 20 year olds started to get out, falling all over drunk. Then 2 girls got up beside the pool on a chair, and after the one fell down, she climbed atop the other girl and began doing things that I didn’t pay THOUSANDS of dollars to travel to Mexico to see, nor expose my children too. It was disgusting, and shocking. I immediately grabbed my kids and had to leave the pool due to this ridiculous scene and complete drunkenness. Of course, all the dirty men around the pool were enjoying the show, but this is “suppose” to be a FAMILY RESORT. It was completely unacceptable, and not ONE person did anything to stop it. I saw the poolside waiter just watching and laughing along with a guest by the pool. I thought maybe I was actually at Hedonism resort or some nudist resort, but nope.. I was at Marina El Cid. My daughters (10 and 12) were shaken up by what they saw and I had to spend the evening explaining what occurred. Beyond that incident, another girl flashed her chest several times in a row to all the patrons sitting in the Platinum lounge then ran in there laughing. Really? I paid extra for the Platinum service, and actually thought I would be surrounded by a better class of patrons. Lastly, the Caribbean Show by the pool… again, not acceptable for children. The “dancers” came out with long Mexican skirts, which they proceeded to rip off, exposing their school girl outfits underneath. I’m talking high socks, heals, skirts that were the size of large belts and thongs. Then dancing like strippers.. seriously.. Never seen so much butt shaking in my life, and right in kids faces that were in the front row. Families were there with small children, etc.. and it again, was not family oriented in the least bit. Everything was completely inappropriate for families.

And to end the CON’s is the FOOD. Worst food, hands down, I’ve ever eaten in Mexico. I could tolerate breakfast and lunch, but the dinners were inedible. Our entire group ended up cancelling our al-la-carte reservations, because we simply couldn’t eat the food. By day 2, I was already sick of all the food. It was a rough week, trying to find something that tasted decent. It was truly the worst food we have ever experienced.

In closing, although the grounds were beautiful, rooms were nice and view was amazing, the long list of cons I described above, would stop me from ever returning to Marina El Cid, nor recommending it to any of my clients. I forgot to mention that I am a travel agent, and owner of a travel agency.

Room Tip: If you must go, pay extra for the Platinum Rooms if you want a great view. Buildings 14 and 15 are b...
3  Thank J P
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your review and for your preference.
We sincerely regret that you did not enjoyed some aspects of your family vacation.
Thank you also for your positive comments.
We are a family hotel and we have a good reputation , our security staff is always making rounds on the public areas and as you commented children are not allowed in the pool bar and please apologize us for that.
We got an award from tripadvisor this year as one of the top ten family resorts in all Mexico.
We are always improving our resort and our services and we respect all opinions, there will be always improvement areas in a resort.
We are at your service anytime and please accept our apologies again if you did not enjoyed some aspect of your holiday.
Muchas gracias and kind regards!!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We just got back last week from a 7 day stay and need to rest after all the play time! We were a little leary of going with another couple and staying at a family friendly resort without taking our own kids, but it is what you make of it so we had a great time and made the most of it! Honestly everyone there was very kind and had fairly well mannered kids. Only a few times did we get kids cutting in line or taking our food off the grill (but the cook in that case didn't pay attention). We played a ton of beach volleyball and are very competitive so there were definately times when it was nice to have a adult only game which was possible sometimes.
We met some really great people from service staff to other travelers and that definately was another reason this trip was so great. The staff work so hard to get you involved and treat you so well. I can not say enough about so many of the staff from Liboryo, Gamliel, Alaam, Cris, Layder and so many others I am forgetting! The activity staff was fantastic, Izchel, Carlos, Kay, again just to name a few of the great staff.
I found food I liked on every menu and honestly don't remember having anything I didn't care for. My fav was the food at the seafood restaurant!! I highly recommend either shrimp dish, tuna filet or steak. Honestly everything there that we had was tasty. At night that restaurant turns to a disco...they try hard but we just weren't loving it as there aren't enough people that are in disco mood coming in to get it going, we did try but gave up and only went the 1 night. Karaoke on the beach was fun and the beach bar is so nice to sit at in the evening with it's lit up beach bed and table area. The fire show was great but that was really the only show we took in other than the 2 minutes we watched the rock n roll show, it just wasn't up our alley.
The bedroom was huge (jr suite) but I was disappointed that even with sending them an email a week ahead of time requesting a matress pad I didn't get one before or during the trip even after my 2 phone calls while there requesting it. Be prepared the beds are very firm, but the drinks helped me not worry about it so much.
We did the snorkel trip thru Rooster, $42 from the resort includes pop after you go. Beautiful coral and just 10 minutes in a boat, I will do that again for sure. You can walk to town and get the same thing for $25. We did walk to town and ended up with a cab back because it was a little tricky as to where to walk to (the shipyard) and we turned to early and long story short we were hot and sweaty by the time we made it to town. We ate at La Petito (sp?) very good kind of off the main area just down the street. We felt very safe in town so no worries there.
We used USA transfers and as always they did a great job, timely fashion and polite.
We really did like El Cid and I would go back if I were taking the kids. Honestly we chose this because of the location, the cliff jump (yes we are big kids at heart too) and the price.
Overall great trip and it is what you make it so have fun!!

Room Tip: building 18,19 were great
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank layne323

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your perfect review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your husband spent a nice adult vacation in our resort.
Thank you also for sharing your review on tripadvisor and for commenting that you will bring your kids in another occasion:)
Please feel free to contact us anytime if you need any assistance for your future reservation.
Thank you again for your great review and for sharing your experience with us.
Best regards amigos and see you soon!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#6 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!