Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Hotel Hacienda Morelos(Puerto Morelos)
  • Pool
La Casa de los Angeles(Puerto Morelos)
  • Pool
Hotel el Moro(Puerto Morelos)
View Hotel
Cabanas Puerto Morelos(Puerto Morelos)
View Hotel
Suites 918 Hotel(Puerto Morelos)
Condo-Hotel Marviya(Puerto Morelos)
  • Beachfront
7,226 results
All reviewsplatinum clubmurphy bedcliff jumpinfinity pooltime shareplatinum servicebedroom suitekids clubconvention centerwater shoesboogie boardsitalian restaurantfamily vacationfire showmain poolmain buffetswim up bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed here from April 25-30th and had a fabulous time!  We had a little trouble checking in- the type of room we booked wasn't available, but they did upgrade us for a night.  Which was nice, but we then had to move rooms the following day, which was annoying.  It all worked out though and we got settled in and started enjoying the beautiful grounds and amenities.  It was my first trip to an all inclusive resort and I enjoyed it very much.  I could have used a little more variety in food, as it starts to get boring after a few days- but the quality was very good.  My favorite part of the whole place has to be the bar on the beach, and Roberth the bartender.  We were there every night and had so much fun!  The whole staff was very nice and courteous but we can't wait to head back next year and have more drinks made by Roberth!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Meganita83
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that you and your friends had a great stay with us.
Thank you also for sharing your review and for your compliments to Roberth our bar tender and I agree with you he deserve it, he is a big asset to our resort:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you again real soon and thank you again for your perfect review and for your preference.
Warm regards from Puerto Morelos!!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed at this resort for a destination wedding (April 23 - 30th). Very clean, nice resort with a long beautiful stretch of beach. The housekeeping staff were always friendly and thorough. However, we experienced many negatives through our stay.

The staff at check-in were rude, unwelcoming and unaccommodating.
The food is mediocre/okay at the buffets - most times dishes were either under cooked or over cooked. The selections were almost exactly the same everyday and the dessert selection at all the restaurants was the same everyday.
The restaurants requiring reservations were very hard to get in to and the odd time you were able to make a reservation it was for 8 or 9 pm.
The resort is very stingy with supplying bottled water. You cannot get bottled water from the bars or buffets.The only place you can get bottled water is from your room mini-bar (which is stocked each time you get room service).
The service ranges from excellent to very bad - it all depends on who your waiter/waitress is.

The biggest concern with the food is the cross contamination. On numerous occasions we saw staff use the same tongs/spatula on raw meat/fish and then use it on cooked meat, cheese or burger buns. There were two occasions where the meat we had served to us was under-cooked.

By the third day of the trip, 30+ people in the wedding party were sick with some form of upset stomach/food poisoning/diarrhea. We have stayed at numerous all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and haven't experienced this before.

Room Tip: Building 18 & 19 have a lot of noise throughout the night. Because these building back on to the swamp/tree area, staff are usually using noisy hedge trimmers and leaf blowers very early in the morning (7 am).
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ngill84

Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your past visit to El Cid.
We are so glad that you liked our resort and we are sorry to hear that you had some issues on your past stay.
I would like to mention that we do not have any report of ill guests actually we just have received really nice comments of the guests that attended that wedding.
In all our kitchens and restaurants we follow all the HACCP standars and we have several certifications in food handling, we use color tongues for every meal but I will make sure to share your feedback with our Chef.
We are at your service anytime and for us the health of our guests is our main concern and our reputation is the best proof of that.
Thank you again for your review and for your visit and we hope that you could visit us again in another opportunity amigos.
Kind regards!!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 6 days in April 2013 for a scuba diving trip. This is a very nice resort - very beautiful grounds, great beach and ocean access. I've seen some other reviews that mentioned a rough start with the check in process, and I have to say that we did NOT experience any of those issues. It took about 4-5 minutes in total to get checked in. We were then given a brief overview of the amenities by a different representative, but there were no sales pitches ever given to us at any point in time during our stay. I imagine if you let yourself get pulled into the "platinum club" room that it could have been a pushy sales experience, but just stay away from that room and you'll be fine.
There were always workers out keeping the grounds clean. They were out at 7 am raking up any seaweed and carting it away and out of sight. This was very nice. The pools were well maintained, and the landscaping was very tasteful.
One of my biggest complaints is the food. They required dinner reservations for most all their restaurants, which had to be made by 5 pm. Unfortunately, they were always booked up and we had to take the last slots at 8:30 or even 9:00, regardless of when we tried to make the reservations. This is just unacceptable. I would have to rate the food quality 3.5 out of 5, primarily because the food is WAY too 'fussy'. They should focus on good food that is delicious, rather than trying to turn every plate into a work of art. For example, one starter offered was Minestrone soup with a "touch of pesto." Sorry, but that just doesn't go together. There also wasn't a great variety to the food. Each restaurant stuck to its primary offerings, with just enough of a change to call each dish something else. There were a few buffet options which were pretty good, and in my opinion, offered a better overall meal than any of the restaurants. The service in the restaurants at dinner time was VERY spotty, at best. One night dinner took almost 2 hours from start to finish. The next night in the same restaurant took only about 45 minutes. I don't know if part of the hold up was with the kitchen, but I can definitely say the service played a big part.
Most of the rest of the service was great. The housekeeping was always thorough and professional. The beds weren't the most comfortable I've ever slept in, but they were adequate. The staff who park and retrieve your car are fast and careful. And most all the staff spoke English very well.
Of course a big plus for most guests is the free alcohol. While I'm not a drinker at all, I did appreciate having the in-room minibar stocked daily with free bottled water and sodas. The two drinks I did have during my 6 day stay there were obviously made with cheap well liquor, and stingily at that. It didn't bother me much, and I didn't really see anyone else who seemed to mind.
One thing I didn't appreciate was the internet charge. At $15 USD per day, or $60 per week, or $04 pesos a minute, the internet was very expensive. It's odd that the cheaper resorts and hotels offer free internet, yet the pricier hotels and resorts feel the need to charge for it. They should at least check you in for your flight home, but the concierge desk says they "don't have access to the internet on their computers."
As I mentioned earlier, this was a scuba diving trip and we used Wet Set Diving just up the road from Hotel Marina El Cid right there in Puerto Morelos. They are an amazing dive shop with outstanding service and great prices. The owners Tadd and Lindsay have a great crew that are all very helpful and friendly and they will work with you to arrange any type of package you want, from snorkeling to reef and wreck diving to Cenote diving (which I HIGHLY recommend).
All in all, I would probably stay at this resort again, since it was very clean and beautiful and very conveniently located to our preferred dive shop, as well as centrally located between Cancun and other hot tourist spots like Playa del Carmen, and the ruins at Tulum. I personally felt there were way too many kids in the resort but that can't be avoided. It was nice having our room so close to the adults-only jacuzzi area, and it opened with a gorgeous view of the beach.

Room Tip: Our room was a suite in building 15, with a direct view of the beach and was right next to the large adults-only jacuzzi, which was nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DerekJax
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a happy vacation in our resort
Thank you also for your feedback and be sure that we will work in your suggestions, with the help of the reviews of tripadvisor and great team work we are creating a nicer hotel day after day:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all in another time and thank you again for taking the time to share your review and for your preference.
Hasta pronto familia, esta es su casa!!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I, both 26, stayed from April 25-April 30th. We had a blast!! We didn't mind the little kids (they do their own thing) and the fact that there were no obnoxious teens running around was a huge plus. The beach was gorgeous, the resort is beautiful, the service is great, food is delicious and the drinks were awesome. I don't understand why people complain... Unless you are uptight and look for something to complain about, you will love it here. We would Definately come back.
Also, Playa del Carmen is a blast!!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Kas129a
RichardBustamante, Owner at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would to thank you for your nice review and for your stay with us.
It was so nice to read that you and your boyfriend spent a terrific holiday with us.
As you well commented in your nice review, in El Cid there is something for everyone and Playa del Carmen, Cancun, the Mayan Ruins, etc. are just breathtaking:)
We hope to serve you both again in a near future and thank you again for your review and for choosing El Cid Resorts.
Best regards, hasta pronto!!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Check in was rough and took far longer than it should have. Having come in from the airport tired hot and hungry, and late as the hotel transport made us wait a long time for other guests (although they were delightful so it was okay) Upgrading also held up our check in as we had to wait a couple more hours for them to find a room. If we had been told this at check in it would have been fine but we were kind of strung along hour by hour. While we waited we went to the closest buffett. Unfortunately it was toward the end of the meal time and things were picked over and messy which made us think it was always like that (It's not) and being it was our first all inclusive we were worried. We finally got into our room and it was really nice and very comfortable with two bathrooms which we like.

You must make reservations for dinner unless you eat at the buffett. This is a little tough when you want to hang out on the beach as long as possible and maybe not want to leave at a specific time. The first night we went to the "best " restaurant which you are only allowed to reserve once. We ended up walking out midway through our meal as it was so awful and headed to the buffett There were also very young children running wild around several tables as their parents were enjoying themselves and not paying attention. It was not a good night and I was certain we were not going to have a good stay.

Things turned around and from the next day on we had very good meals, very good service and enjoyed our stay the best we could considering hurricane sandy was hitting our home of nj at the time and we were scrambling to connect to all of our children in college and at their homes and our business and neighbors, friends etc., very harrowing but we were safe and warm in Mexico and did try to at least enjoy our stay (we ended up only having a handful of powerless days when we returned so we certainly couldn't complain since we missed the worst of everything and still had our family and home intact, when so many others have lost everything). We met wonderful people, had amazing weather, and the best of all was the spa which was incredible, our massages and the water treatment were unforgettable. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had to upgrade to platinum club to get any kind of view. Otherwise, we were going to be buried in a back building. This did not include wifi which was even more and couldn't be used in our room we had to stand in one area on our balcony :(
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NJgirl63
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice review and for your visit last october.
It was so nice to read that you and your husband spent a nice holiday excepting for the issues on the first night.
We are so glad that everything was ok back home and that your relatives and home are safe after Sandy.
It will be apleasure to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for sharing your comments on tripadvisor and for your visit.
Esta es su casa amigos, muchas gracias:)