“Pushy and rude sales staff!”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was my first visit (and last) to this resort. The accommodations were relatively clean. There was a moldy smell in the lobby and throughout the property… possibly due to the lagoons surrounding the property. The service staff in the restaurant was pleasant and attentive. The food was average – not a lot of menu choices specifically in the Mediterranean restaurant. There were 2 weddings during our stay on the property so some of the restaurants were not available to the guests in order to accommodate the wedding parties. We were given a tour of the spa which was not very impressive. The 2 ATMs on the property did not function during our entire stay. The wireless access is $15/day or $60 for the week and the service was unreliable and spotty. We also had to call everyday and ask for face towels. Housekeeping would remove our used face towels but not replace them.

But the BIGGEST disappointment was the SALES STAFF. Obviously, their job is to sell you into a some type of timeshare or vacation club arrangement. We had already made plans to visit a sales presentation at another resort - (Moon Palace – which is a great resort btw). Upon asking for a taxi to Moon Palace, we were suddenly accosted by 3 sales staff members trying to prevent us from visiting this resort – apparently intimidated by their competition. The staff does not have the authority to dictate where we can and cannot go. Well, what a difference in quality, service and professionalism at Moon Palace. So we decided to return 2 days later to Moon Palace to enjoy a few treatments at their lovely spa. Upon asking for a taxi, a sales staff person from El Cid (wish I would have taken down this guy’s name) came out and essentially accused us of lying about our reasons for visiting Moon Palace – like we owed him ANY explanation. He was rude and harassing. If you are so intimidated by your competition, IMPROVE your offerings instead of trying to prevent and persuade your guests not to visit other properties. Give them a reason to stay!! Very unprofessional and disappointing. I will NOT be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mlanaej
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your comments and for your preference.
We sincerely regret that your past stay with us was not as you expected to be.
We are a nice hotel and our staff is our main resource and is always kind and courteous, we will find out who was the person that was not nice with you and we will take the necessary actions.
We are at your service anytime and thank you again for your feedback and for your preference.
Warm regards friends!!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Let me start by first saying that this resort is a wonderful place! Some of the things that we are disappointed with are hard for management to predict or control so I will give the pros and cons of this resort.
Pros:
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful property and so clean ! The workers are constantly making the grounds immaculate. The rooms are great (except some locations and the thinness of the walls!) But overall, the restrooms, restaurants, bar areas are so clean and comfortable.
All the workers (except front desk staff, which I will include in the cons) are amazing. They all take such pride in their work and are so happy to wait on you. Please plan to take $100-$120 in ones for tipping for a week. Giving these people a few $ everytime they wait on you is well deserved. I can't express our thanks enough to ALBERTO (beach waiter), FRANCISCO (pool bar), VIOLETA (lobby bar) and the countless others that took care of us and our room attendants.
Yes the beach is rocky but that is a part of their shoreline. Bring water shoes. They do a nice job of keeping sand in the swim area and cleaning the sea grass on a daily basis. But a beautiful relaxing view no less.
The food was pretty good; huge improvement since 2010. We found no issues getting reservations for the special restaurants. Drinks were good as well except the Modelo Light, we really could have done with regular Modelo but it was still cold beer ! Surprisingly nice red wine too !

Cons:
The front desk employees have such attitudes, like they are doing you a favor to check you in or to answer any questions you may need them for. Maybe they just get that way because they deal with rude foreigners (not us but I did see many travelers treating employees less that politely). We had been there before and purchased our package through cheap caribbean and got a beautiful ocean/pool view room in building 16 and requested the same for this trip only to find out that now these rooms are not apart of our package. We ended up being ok with the room we did get in bldg 19 but were definitely disappointed since this building mainly had families. They insisted that if we wanted to move it would be an additional charge so we declined and just dealt with it.
The single most annoying racket is the time share gig. Those people are pirhannas and we knew how to deal with them, turning down their offer of a drink when you arrive (you can get your own as soon as you get your bracelet and walk 20 ft to the bar !!) Then they ask if they can just have a minute of your time...say NO and No thank you to the drink...that you just want to get to your room. We saw countless couples enduring this needless waste of vacation time and thought "oh boy, more rookies".
If you are coming here as couples, then you might want to reconsider....although the last time we came the small amount of kids and families were the minority, not so now ! It is kid central and really not any place to escape this. Some of the kids are rude and act entitled and parents are just clueless as to the consideration and courtesies you should pay to others in public places.

The other disappontment was the Amercian music !! Ughhhh...we came to enjoy the Mexican culture and between the pool and the lobby bar all we heard was old US top 40 from years back. We would have loved to have that native Mexican/Latin music. It seems that perhaps the resort is trying to cater so much to its travelers that its losing its mexican ambiance. this is something management could change.
The chair/palapa saving is out of control !! To see people come out and put their towel on a chair at 8 am and not return for HOURS later is rude and insane. I understand when you want to run in and get a bite to eat for 20 mins but there were many "saved" chairs for hours on end with no one in them.
Overall this is a very nice resort and given my comments, its a personal choice of what you want out of your experience.
Some things you should do when visiting this area:
The Jungle Spa, Puerto Morales (look it up on this website!)
Catamaran Sail and Snorkel...one of the best reef snorkel areas !
Take a trip into the village of Pto Mls, such a cute and quaint town.
See the Ruins..Tulum is amazing

Room Tip: Higher rooms will give best view even in "non" ocean front buildings Platinum Club is not...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice review and for your second stay with us.
We are glad that you enjoyed some aspects of your vacation mainly the attention from Violeta, Francisco and many more.
Pleace accept my sincerest apologies for the lack of service that you experienced at the front desk I will make sure to share your review with our front desk manager and with all the receptionists.
If your ever reconsider to visit our resort for third time feel free to contact me anytime amigos to assure you a perfect stay.
Thank you again for your feedback and for your second stay with us, esta es su casa, amigos.
Kind regards!!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed at Marina El Cid the 3rd week of April. It was quite windy at times but a warm breeze. My family were happy to vacation at this resort. The food was good. Preferred the pool buffet more than the lobby bufet. Ate at all the restaurants at night. Not too much of a problem getting reservations. Loved the shrimp tempura at the Marina restaurant. My daughter liked the Salmon, I did not like the sauce. My husband's tuna steak was a little dry. Pretty much liked everything at the other restaurants. The service was very good through out the resort with the exception of one bar server at the pool side bar. The young man server at the pool buffet even made me fresh tea because I wanted ice tea unsweetened with breakfast and lunch. When he saw me , he instantly put the tea bag in the water. Then made another one for me just in case I might want it.Never much of a wait at the bars The bar tenders would give you cans of beer if you wanted too. Beach chairs usually easy to find. I went out fairly early in the morning to reserve pool chairs, they did get taken some days very early. The cliff jump and slide were fun for tweens and kids. They even have tubes you can borrow to float around the pool. You can bring a raft if you want to use your own. The pool is so big, never crowded. I really liked the convenience of this smaller resort. The ocean was great but yes, very rocky. You can't go in if you don't have water shoes! Mine unfortunately went missing the morning before we left. I was up around 6am so put my shoes on a beach chair to save them in the shade. I went back at 9am and the shoes were gone. Not sure if someone stole them or the cleaning crew took them away. If was a shame because I was not able to go into the ocean the last 2 days of my trip. Just giad I have them most of the trip. I took water aerobics every day, fun. I also took yoga,pilates and zumba classes. The instructor was very good. I really had a good time and liked the resort.

Room Tip: Stayed in building 19 family suite. Good location. Was on 3rd floor and had a good view. If you w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a happy vacation in our resort and enjoyed the resort in general as well as the activities.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor and for recommending El Cid to others.
It will be a pleasure to serve your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your great review and for sharing your experience with us.
At El Cid, there is something for everyone:)

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Pros:
staff, on the whole are unbelievably nice
beautiful grounds
beautiful beach
excellent value for money
buildings 15 and 14 are beachfront and have stunning views
nice views
love the free and unlimited sodas delivered to room
only ate in the buffets which were mainly good
rooms are kept flawlessly clean
very entertaining comedy/magic show

cons
we fell asleep at 9pm after a gruelling day swimming and diving only to be woken up at 9.15pm by a hotel employee powerwashing the floor right outside our room. its an incredibly loud noise that is as loud as a construction drill, and despite calls to the front desk and to the employee directly to stop, they continued until 10pm. really inconsiderate to guests who may want to have an early night.

hotel is in the middle of nowhere so no going for evening strolls after dinner
you have to pay $12 a day for wifi and only one person per room can use the wifi at a time
deserts at the buffet were pretty much the same every evening and were mainly horrible
tv only has 3-4 english channels

overall, i probably would not return mainly because i prefer a hotel that is right in the thick of the action, but certainly the hotel is excellent value for money and has stunning views and really nice staff.

Room Tip: buildings 14 or 15 are ocean front but are more expensive

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice comments and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that you spent a nice holiday with us excepting for the issues that you kindly described on your review.
Regarding to the issue with the person that was washing the hallways we will make sure to avoid that situation in the future and please accept an apology for that inconvenience.
Thank you also for recognizing our staff and for recommending our hotel for families.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in a near future and thank you again for your feedback and for your preference.
Warm regards amigos!!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Well, it was quite the vacation. My wife and I really liked our time at this resort. First off, although breezy every day we were there(10 days), the weather was awaome. That breeze felt great and never caused us any problem at the resort. Sand beaches were great but the water side of it has lots of coral. Very hard on your feet. I definitely recommend wearing some type of water shoe. There are certain areas where you can go into the water and not be bothered too much, but most of the beach is coral. Nothing the resort can do about that, and nothing I would want them to do about it.
Certain little issues though: the fridge is not stocked automatically and I believe it should be. It isn't too much trouble fo them to just top up the water, or the odd couple of beers. I was not impressed considering its quite a decent resort. We had to call a few times to come replenish the fridge. One time they didn't arrive for over 3 hours, so had to call them again(we didn't wait for them but when we returned after the three hours, we noticed they hadn't been to our room).
El Cid Vacation Club...basically boiler room environment and is their way of taking your money. I have read numerous complaints online about how what they tell you at these presentations, is far from what actuall is provided(RCI, Wyndham hotels, etc). All I can say is beware. You only have 5 DAYS to cancel if you do get talked into purchasing. Mexican law. The resort really only wants your money from what I experienced, and if that means stretching the truth a little, well, they are sales people, that's what they are good at.
The food was good enough. The buffet provided us nutrition for the whole time we were there. The a la carte(Marina)was not anything special, and we didn't try the others as we decided that buffet was more convenient for the two of us.
El Cid is a busy place, the service was very good, really. I believe they do the best they can. The grounds are kept up very well. Every one of the service workers, groundsworkers, etc., all said hi as you walked by them.

I notice most all of the responses from the hotel at the end of these reviews, is very generic, of which we will likely never hear again from them, so I believe their replies are not worth a lot.

I realize this review may be a little tough to make sense of. We loved the resort, the weather, the workers. We hated the experience with the boiler room sales tactics. Would/will we return?
Definitely to Cancun and area, maybe not to this resort. I really shouldn't be too hard on them as I am guessing most of the resorts are going to have the same sales pitches.

YOU HAVE 5 WORKING DAYS(NOT BUSINESS DAYS)TO CANCEL YOUR VACATION CLUB MEMBERSHIP IF YOU GET CAUGHT UP AND SIGN SOMETHING. IF, WHEN GOING THROUGH THE PRESENTATION, YOU ARE MAY BE CLOSE TO SIGNING UP, STEP AWAY FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, OR A DAY, THEN GO ONLINE AND CHECK FOR COMPLAINTS. THAT IS SOMETHING ONE SHOULD DO NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE AT.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Links2
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your past stay with us.
We are glad that your stay with us was nice and that you enjoyed our facilities, restaurants and mainly the warm attention from our hotel staff excepting for that detail.
All the reviews on tripadvisor are really helpful for us, I respond every review since five years ago to let know to our guests that we appreciate their reviews and also which actions or strategies will be implemented on the opportunity areas that they kindly highlighted on their reviews if it is the case.
We are at your service anytime and thank you again for your kind review and for your past visit.
Best regards friends!!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Before I write the review for this hotel - I wanted to clarify why I give it an average instead of excellent as follows:

1. Olympus Tour Bus - It has nothing to do with the hotel. They're located at the convention center. They're being ridiculous. I booked a round trip shuttle from Airport to the Hotel and Hotel back to airport. I had to wait for 1/2 an hour from the airport to the hotel. Then the driver was asking me for tips ... really... tips should be based on your service.... Don't ask unless you're doing a good job. Futhermore, they required us to go to see Rafael at the convention center on the same day so we can make an appointment for the return trip. This is unacceptable. We did not go on the first day and we got a note on the room. I paid for the shuttle... why do i have to waste my time to go talk to someone trying to sell something to me?? El cid needs to take some action about it. It's irritating.

2. When I arrived at the hotel, the hotel staff are super nice. The challenge is you have to go through the timeshare saleperson. Check in process was very easy. We were 2 hours early but they gave us the wrist band so we can find something to eat. It's hotel policy that you cannot check in to your room until 3 p.m. That's fine with us. Victor was wasting our time with his annoying sale pitch. We paid full for everything we do not need to spend time to hear for discount this and that. We do not need it. If we do - we will ask and find you guys. Again It's so irritating

3. Hotel needs to do something with the "Water" not drinking water. The water smells like mud. We could not stand it. I'm not sure this is something can be done.

4. Room service - Room service is taking way too long roughly at least 45 minutes. While we were there for 5 days, we had to call so many times to asking for drinking bottles water. It's NOT refill automactially by the staff. We had to go to the lobby buffet or one time we found the water delivery person to get water. It's not like we are stealing water to bring back to the u.s. It was so hard to find water at the resort.

5. Beach - Beach view is beautiful. Every morning I see the staff go out and clean up the beach. The thing is this is something I can't blame on the hotel, the beach is dirty (seaweed and etc) and rocky. You have to find a right spot so you can go in without getting hurt. I wish the hotel provides beach/under water shoes.

6. Exchange U.S dollar - Before I went to vacation - I had already exchanged a $20 single bill but it was not enough for 5 days tip. I asked the bartender, front desk and other staff. They either don't exchange or they only exchange peso. I had to walk around for 1/2 an hour before i found the store near the tennis court entrance. They were willing to exchange $20 for single. I wanted to exchange for single so I can give out tips i don't understand why it was so hard.

7. Internet - Okay we understand that we have to pay. The hotel should at least provides free wifi at the lobby so we can check for flight status and etc.. it's 4 peso a min...

Other than that everything is wonderful - Staff service level is awesome. I have to give 5 star. Kukos to them. They work very hard and always have a smile on their face. The hotel is very extremely clean. They even clean the bottom of the pool. Drink all you want and eat all you want. Buffet is probably your best bet. Other restaurants you have to reserve for dinner like alcazar, la marina, and etc..Bike tour was nice. I forgot the tour person from UK, she is wonderful. Nice british accent. I would have rated 5 star but there are factors involved that's why I have to give a rating as an average.

1  Thank Brandon N
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind comments and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your wife had a nice holiday with us and enjoyed the attention from our staff.
Thank you also for your feedback, we will discuss your points with our executive team and we thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and for your feedback:)
It will be apleasure to serve you and your wife in another occasion amigos.
We hope to see you soon and thank you again for preferring El CId Resorts, we are always improving with the help from all our guests, gracias!!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at El Cid Marina from April 12th to April 19th. I highly recommend this Hotel for any family oriented vacation. The food was very good and the grounds beautiful. All employees were very nice and especially Alberto, the man who walked up and down the beach offering drinks, he was very nice and helpful. I would have given El Cid Marina 5 starts if it wasn’t for the Water Sport Team at the beach. On Monday, April 15 my husband inquired as to the 10 minutes hobie cat ride and he was told that they didn’t have rides now and it was after 2 PM. We went back at 3:30 PM and Osvald told my husband that there were no more reservations, that he had two more people waiting and there were no more rides. The signs said open until 4:30 PM and the brochure until 5 PM but they didn’t want to take more people. My husband insisted and we waited in the place reluctantly Osvald accepted. When the gentleman that was taking people to the rides came to us he was obviously unhappy and was very discourteous with us. He also protested that we were 2 adults and a child, he said why three but we saw three people going in prior occasions. He did take us but it wasn’t an enjoyable trip because the person taking us was in a bad mood and unhappy to have to take us for a ride. I can’t say his name because he didn’t say Hi or his name to us and he almost ran over our child foot with the. We were back from our ride at 4:05 PM. We then walked up and down the beach this gentleman was talking with other guests waiting for 4:30 PM at his post. I don’t understand why he had to treat paying customers like the way he did. He is one rotten apple in what it is otherwise a great team.

Room Tip: I like Building 16, great location.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear family:
We are so glad that you and your family had a happy vacation in our resort excepting for the detail that you kindly commented on your nice review.
I just shared your comments with our sports and activities manager and I assure you that we will take the corrective actions required to improve on that area.
We are at your service anytime and we sincerely hope that you could give us another opportunity to serve you again with your family in a near future.
Thank you again for bringing this situation to our attention and for your preference Familia:)
Best wishes and good luck amigos!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#2 of 27 in Puerto Morelos
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!