“Very good, but...”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Overall a good trip. Hotel, room, pool, grounds, etc all nice. Staff very good, entertainment staff very good. Good for families, we had 6 kids with us, three families. Food was good but not sure if its coincidence of not but half our party had or is having stomach "issues".
I'd still recommend the resort.
Now of course for the negatives:
Gym could be bigger, too crowded.
Taxi services: while out of control of the hotel, they should provide the feedback to the cab mafia - Cabs are a total ripoff. $10 for a kilometre ride to town? Come on!!!!
Internet/wifi: $60 for a week and it doesn't hardly work at all and if it does work is worse speed than dial up???? I called same day to cancel my Internet as it didn't even work in my room. A resort of this calibre and price should just include it. Heck just add it in to the cost, seriously. And must improve quality/speed.
Timeshare/excursions sales. Let me come to you if I'm interested in something. Don't need the pushy aggressive sales technique.
Did not appreciate the tour company "cancel" my ride back to the airport because I declined to attend their "mandatory" meeting / boiler room sales push. But I will take this up with Best Day / Westjet.

In light of all this, I would recommend the resort but just be aware of these points.

1  Thank Edmonton_CA
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your preference.
We are so glad that all your family spent a nice holiday with us excepting for the details that you kindly described on your review.
We are already on the process to improve our internet signal and make it faster:)
Thank you also for recommend us and for your next stay please feel free to contact us prior your arrival.
Thank you again for your review and for your choosing El Cid Resorts.
Best wishes to all!!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We just returned from a week at the El Cid with my Aunt, Uncle, 2 cousins, myself, husband, and 2 children (3, 1). We had a great time...your vacations is definitely what you make of it.

We booked with Cheapcarribean.com through our travel agent. She set everything up for us. We also did a private transfer to and from the hotel with Cancun Shuttle and they were on time and amazing with their services.

To start off, we weren't hasseled by the time share people at all. We were told, after we check in, to go see them over there for the layout of the resort. I knew better than to do that and weren't bothered once by them.

We arrived before the rest of our group and our room wasn't ready. We got there at noon and had to wait until 3:30pm to get into our room. I think, no matter what, they make you wait until 3 or after to get into your room. The maid service was good with refilling our mini fridge and towels were hit and miss. We didn't put our towels on the floor yet we still received new towels everyday. We usually got 3 towels when there were 4 people in our room, generally no wash cloths, and sometimes 2 handtowels so we used one as a washcloth. I did call one day for a washcloth because we didn't get handtowels either and they never arrived. We were in room 19310 which was a corner room and about double the size of the normal rooms. If you can, ask for the corner rooms. We also had a view of the ocean off in the distance from our balcony. The a/c worked well and we didn't smell a musty scent at all.

The pool was a hit with our family all day every day. We had a great bartender Vincent at the swim up bar. He knew how to make an amazing drink everytime. All our drinks were pretty strong too. The others, not so much. When he was there, our drinks were good. The entertainment team was okay but annoying at times too. It appeared everyone loves the cliff jump and slide and it was fun for all. I only did the slide twice because it was rough.

The food was average at best. I could always find something I liked. I ate so much pasta because most dishes had sea food of some sort in it. I don't eat sea food and it didn't cater much to anyone but sea food eaters. At least, we found something to fill our stomachs. The Mexican restaurant was terrible which is ironic because that is their cultures food. The Mediterranean was good the first night and terrible the second night. The menu even changed. The La Marina (sea food) didn't have anything other than sea food in there. Thankfully, I was allowed to order from the kids menu. The rest of my group said it was mediocre at best. The service at the buffet was hit or miss. I would usually have to go out the bar to get my own soda because nobody would help. High chairs was also a fiasco for us.

The ground our immaculate. It is a bummer that they don't have a grill outside for some snacking. I didn't like how the lobby, and all the restaurants were enclosed. After all, I am in Mexico for the climate and not to be in a/c all the time.

I did have a spa service. It was an 80 minute therapeudic massage. I did the hydrotherapy first (sauna, steam room, hottub) and then in for the massage. I was over 30 minutes late with them starting my massage because I was pushed aside for the platinum members to get theirs first (when I booked, noone was on the schedule). The service was good for platinum guests and not so good for regular guests.

We met lots of great people from the U.S. and Canada and hung out with them numerous ocassions. They were all alot of fun too.

All in all, we had a good time because we wanted to. It was fun, won't return, and will look to try a hotel somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: 3rd floor or higher for an ocean view - even if it is in the distance.
1  Thank love_to_vacation10
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are glad that your family had a happy holiday with us but we regret that you are undecided to come back to our resort.
We are always using the feedback from our guests to improve our services and facilities and if you give us another opportunity in a future you will experience our improvements.
We are at your service anytime amigos and thank you again for sharing your experience on tripadvisor and for your preference.
Best regards familia!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

DH and myself were at Marina El Cid 4/12-16. After MUCH help on this site from many contributors, of which a special thank you to Theboomanchu, Preziam and Senor Bustamante, we were so informed that we just knew it was a special resort, and all good reviews were accurate!

Check in was a breeze, we were actually given a choice of two rooms, and opting for bldg 14, 4th floor, walking in literally took our breath away, looking straight through the room out the patio doors: beautiful perfection!!!!! Our reservation was for a Luxury category room, more than ample space for two adults, and beautifully appointed, and in our opinion given the fact we had no problems dropping off to sleep each nite to the sound of the surf, the beds were not uncomfortable at all as some posters comment. The balconies are very near to the next rooms, but at such an angle that you still have complete privacy. Our balcony faced the pool, the beach, and ocean...what more could you ask for?
Grounds: As many others have reported the grounds are constantly being maintained and definitely show the pride that the employees take in their resort. The beach was always cleared, and a funny thing was that you could tell where the resort property ended: seaweed!!
Tours: We took advantage of the couples hyrdo therapy and massage package, very nice! The only drawback to this was it was too windy to have our massages outside on the beach, too difficult for our masseurs to keep the towels positioned properly!! Speaking of the breeze (?!!?), I don't know if it was stronger than usual but the snorkeling catamaran (sp?) tour we signed on for had been cancelled the same day as our massages, and was still quite strong the day we went out, but was still fun, the captain is a hoot!
Food: We had no problem at check in getting a reservation for two nights later at 6:30 for the Marina Restaurant, which I cannot comment on because as many others stated, we were just having too much fun in the sun at the pool and beach that we cancelled our reservations and opted for the buffet! I am happy to report that the food at the main buffet was always varied, delicious and fresh, I cannot count how many times fresh trays were replacing the current almost empty one.
We left our visit to El Cid, rested, happy and totally pampered!!!
Gracias to everyone, El Cid staff, TA friends, and Senor Bustamante!!!
Photos to follow, only have 600 to proof!!!!!!
Conny and Mike Olson

4  Thank co74

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort please allow me to thank you for your preference and for your amazing review.
It was so nice to read that you had a lovely stay with us and that you took advantage of our tours and Spa services.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor, as you also commented tripadvisor is an amazing and accurate website to plan a vacation:)
It was really nice meeting you and you and your wife and are more than welcome to visit El Cid in another occasion.
Thank you again for your lovely comments, for sharing your review and for your preference friends.
Esta es su casa and we look forward to serve you both soon!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We just got back from our 2nd trip to the wonderful Ed Cid resort. We had a great time last year and this year was even better! I really can't understand the people that give the resort bad reviews. I guess some people are just never happy?
The place is incredibly beautiful and someone is always cleaning or gardening or clearing the beach for your enjoyment.
The staff is INCREDIBLE..always a smile from each of them. Special shout outs go to Geraldo & Violeta in the Lobby bar...to Gilberto at the pool...to Chris and Angel at the jacuzzi bar and to Marco in the Hacienda buffet.
The food and drinks were always above anything else we have found at an all-inclusive.
If I could give you one suggestion it would be to PLEASE TIP these wonderful people who are busting their butts to make your trip better. Let them know you appreciate their work!
If we can answer any questions you might have don't hesitate to contact us.
We are looking forward to returning next year.

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your second stay with us
We are so glad that you and your lovely wife had a pleasant holiday once again and that Chris, Angel, Violeta and the rest of our staff served you in a nice way and always with a smile.
Thank you also for sharing your experience on this site and for recommending el Cid to others:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your wife again in a near future and thank you again for your great review, for your preference and for complimenting our hotel staff.
Muchas gracias amigos, hasta la vista!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We read tons of reviews before we booked. It sounded like a great place and we were interested in trying something new, that was slightly less expensive than 5-star. We had a great time together, but weren't impressed with the resort.

The grounds are fine - beautifully landscaped. We were happy to have an air conditioned bar (something we missed having on our last trip). The Mexican restaurant on our first night was fantastic for dinner. Delicious. We attended the timeshare/vacation club presentation for the next morning (my birthday) and signed up for a trial membership. We were excited about the opportunity. We had only been at the resort for less than 24 hours. It seemed pretty good, so far.

But then we began noticing things - the food was poor. We couldn't find much of anything on the buffets. And grew so tired of having buffet for breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner. The Seafood restaurant was horrible - and a place I specifically wanted to have my birthday dinner at. Nothing was good. Or fantastic like the night before at the Mexican restaurant.

The staff was friendly, but not on the ball with bringing us drinks, like we grew accustom to at 5-star. We realized you get what you pay for, and that's fine.

The beach was horrible. I couldn't understand why there were so many people surrounding the pool and not many on the beach. It was the rockiest beach we'd ever been on. We like to snorkel - my husband LOVES to snorkel. He bruised his foot on the rocks. I went in the water once or twice and gave up. I slipped on the slimy, wet rocks, and had a hard time keeping my balance with the waves coming in. You could take a small step and the rock would drop 6 inches or more under you. And I do yoga and had trouble balancing! We gave up on snorkeling and on the beach. Which is sad, because those are our favorite things to do.

The entertainment was nice. We enjoyed that there was variety in the evening.

The clientele wasn't impressive. A lot of white trash. Kind of felt like Spring Break with the DJ at the pool - playing music and hosting contests/games. Really annoying. Our room was right by the pool, so when my husband was sick it was nearly impossible for him to nap in the afternoon.

This place is really family friendly. And we get that if we had little kids this place would serve a purpose. They have a kids club and offer babysitting. There is a slide and jump off point in the pool that would tire your little ones out. There seemed to be plenty of activities.

This place just wasn't for us. I think we've learned that we prefer 5-star service, food, and attention (stocking washcloths properly, as well as minibar, etc.), as well as adult-only, a romantic/quiet place to spend some time together that still has entertainment in the evening, just not annoying DJs during the day. We also prefer a higher level of clientele and a place that has a more strict dress code (dresses and polos/khakis for dinner). Makes me sound like a snob, but the two previous 5-star vacations we took were phenomenal in comparison to El Cid.

I actually emailed to terminate the trial membership. We had 5 days to terminate and since we have no desire to return to this property, it was one of the first things I did on our first day back from vacation.

1  Thank munterbrink05

Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your review and for your past stay.
We regret that your experience with us was not a pleasant one.
As we always comment on this site all the reviews are really important for us and help us to improve always.
We are so proud of our resort and we love to serve guests from all over the world and we serve them with the same kindness and respect with no distinctions and please apologize us if you do not think this way.
We are at your service anytime and thank you again for your preference and for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.
Kind regards!!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have just returned from the El Cid. I am not sure what to say.
Lets start with the grounds. It is definitely a clean resort. Staff is out all day to clean and maintain.
The rooms: we had a junior suite. Not exactly a room I would call a junior suite. If you need 2 beds, save the money of the junior suite and stick with a 2 bed room. The Murphy bed is somewhat of a pain and no room to put the other furniture. Once the Murphy is out we had to climb over the rest of the furniture. All week long we fought with plugged toilets. Had to call Maintanance a number of times.
The food: this is just plain bad. We encountered simply bad, cold food at the buffet. Getting reservation at the other places is not as easy and when we get one we wondered why these places are empty. Food was also rather poor there. We also went to Puerto Morelos and had greater food there.
If you want peace and quiet, forget about this place. Loud music and activities around the pool, sometime until 9pm can get very annoying.
Drinks are also not what I expected. Not much Alcohol in any of the cocktails.

Just because of the poor food, we would probably not return.

3  Thank Carsten S
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear family:
Is with the valuable feedback from our guests that we are always improving our services and facilities.
If you honor us again with a future stay you will experience more improvements, amigos:)
Thank you again for sharing your experience on tripadvisor and for your preference.
Good luck and kind regards!!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here with our 2 kids (age 9) the week of April 12-19. Booked a one bedroom Platinum Suite. Had room #1446, which was an amazing room! It was a top floor, corner unit, overlooking adult jacuzzi, which meant no one above us or next to us on one side. Check in at the Platinum Club was a breeze. Thank you Maresa! She gave us a lot of info regarding the resort and then passed us on to another lady (super nice...wish I could remember her name), who gave us more info and offered us some "discounted tours". I kindly told her we were 100% uninterested in attending the presentation and she was very gracious about it. End of story...never again hassled by timeshare people at all. Resort and grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Never had any problem making dinner reservations in restaurants. Made them all on the first day. In fact, we ended up canceling our reservations after the 3rd day. We found that we were having too much fun at the pool or playing in the ocean, to rush and make dinner at a certain time. We went to the buffets after that, whenever we felt like it. The food was consistently decent (not outstanding, but good). I had heard that the Mexican restaurant was terrible, but Mexican Night at the buffet (Wednesday) was delicious! Food at Alcazar was pretty good...not as good at La Marina.
Never had any trouble getting chairs around the pool, as long as we were there to claim something by about 8:30. The pool is AMAZING! Huge selling point of this resort!! The cliff jump and slide provided hours of entertainment for both kids and adults. We reserved palapas through the Platinum Club everyday, which was nice. The beach is lovely, with powdery soft sand. The ocean water was so warm and swimable. But, DO NOT ignore the reviews advising you to bring water shoes! It makes all the difference and you will be sorry if you don't have them. It is extremely rocky. I would have to say, that is one of the main downfalls of this resort. Of course, there is nothing the resort can do about that. They do, however, clear the beach of seaweed every morning. We booked the Snorkeling Tour thought the resort and it was fantastic! Every single staff member we encountered was super friendly and pleasant, with the exception of the bartenders at the poolside bar (not the swim-up bar). They could take some lessons from the rest of the staff! A few standout staff members worth mentioning are Maresa and Rodri in the Platinum Club, our butler Alejandro, Didier in La Alhambra, Rooster from the poolside Tours desk, who always remembered my kid's names, and Fernando and the rest of the entertainment staff, who did a great job getting people involved without being pushy. I would definitely recommend this resort to other families. Not much to do after 10:00 for singles or young couples. And lastly, hello to our new friends from Connecticut...Corey, Gail, Casey and Ally! We had a great time visiting with you during our stay.
Sorry for the marathon review! It's just that I'm a Trip Advisor junkie...so I know how important detailed reviews are, when you're trying to decide where to take your family on vacation. Go ahead and book this place. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

4  Thank JillCW

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that all your family enjoyed our services and facilities.
As you kindly commented on your great review, all our beach staff cleans our beach area every early morning for the enjoyment of all our guests.
Thank you also for sharing your review and for recognizing our staff for their nice service and spirit of service.
It will be a pleasure to serve all your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your detailed and nice review and for your stay with us.
Esta es su casa, muchas gracias!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 176 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
#73 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!