“Great Vacation !!”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I can honestly say I’ve never written a review in my life but considering prior to my trip I was on trip advisor every day, I feel it’s only right for me to write my own. I traveled with my boyfriend from New York and stayed for 9 days, 8 nights. We booked with Cheap Carribean.com and got a great price! First let me tell ya we traveled Aero Mexico out of JFK and I was a little nervous at first because I never traveled Aero Mexico; however I was pleasantly surprised it was great. They served meals and liqueur for free… and the way home it only took us 2hours and 45 min to get back
After reading numerous other reviews prior to my trip I was truly prepared for the worst, but I have to say I think people are being a little harsh.
The time shares ‘sharks’ aren’t as bad as people make them out to be. If your honest and say ‘ ya know what I’m not interested’ then they will leave you alone. Or you can suck It up and sit through it and get a free massage out of it. The beaches are great, the water is a little rocky but not to the point where you can’t go swimming. We brought water shoes for running on the beach and ext. so I would advise you to buy a cheap pair; actually we used the water shoes for everything. As for the chairs, I never had a problem getting two chairs under a little palm tree but I was up early and I didn’t mind going down to the beach and watching the sunrise but I could see how people would get annoyed. But there are seriously an abundance of chairs ; I did not see on person laying on the sand.
The staff I found was very friendly, everyone was smiling and it was a very comfortable environment. It you take care of the bartenders, waiters and housekeeper then you won’t have any issues. I took advice from a previous writer and tipped the housekeeper the first day and requested extra towels and bottled water; no joke we had extra towels everyday and over 24 water bottles in our room.
We were in building 16 on the 4th floor which was a great view of the pool and the ocean, I definitely took advantage of the balcony; we people watched and also had a great view of the shows at night. The beds are very uncomfortable; but the overall room is great.
We tried all four restaurants and never had any problem making reservations (maybe because it was only 2 of us) but I would make reservations for a few days ahead. For example our first night there I made a reservation for Sunday night and we tried the buffet the first night. The food was good, no real complaints. Buffet breakfast was great and I also loved the room service selection.
The drinks were strong (not strong enough that you couldn’t drink it but strong enough to enjoy it) and they gave decent liquor. My only complaint was the Corona on tap was not that cold! They defiantly need to make it colder!! The music around the pool was not loud enough, only when they did pool aerobics was it loud. I wished they had some reggae bands that played outside or a little bit more Caribbean music around the pool. At night in the lobby bar they had a saxophone player that was good but very boring, put me to sleep. The band that played entertaining, I just wish they played outside.
As many people mentioned in other reviews the resort does lack night life after 10 pm but they do have a disco that plays from 11-1am that is not bad, my boyfriend and I only made it out past 10 pm one night because your honestly doing so much during the day and the sun and drinks alone make you ‘shot!’ I wish they had more than one Jacuzzi because it filled up very fast and kind of grossed me out because there were so many bodies in the Jacuzzi and the water temperature could be a little ‘hotter’ and it only stays open until 7pm!!!
We took a bike your into town one day and had a great time with friends we met. One night we went into town for drinks and found a lot of cool little bars. I would defiantly recommend going into town, they even have a few really nice restaurants on the water.
We did two excursions ATV’s which was so awesome along with a cave adventure and the Catamaran/snorkeling trip which was fun except the snorkeling was very long , or at least it felt like it … but it was a great experience and exercise!
Overall my boyfriend and I had a great time, we are both in our late 20’s however did not mind all of the kids and met so many great people. The resort is not huge so it’s very easy to acclimate yourself and adjust to your new environment. I would defiantly be going back in the near future with my whole family!!

Room Tip: Building 16 very close to everything!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Alex1477
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your excellent review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your boyfriend had a relaxed stay and enjoyed our resort, services and facilities.
Thank you also for sharing your review on Tripadvisor and for recommending our resort.
We look forward to serve you both again in another opportunity amigos.
Thank you again for your great comments and for choosing El Cid.
Muchas gracias and see you soon:)

Write a ReviewReviews (6,975)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just returned from my second and most definitely not my last vacation to the El Cid (next year 2 weeks - 1 just isn't enough).
Our vacation was just as amazing as last year if not even better........we were so happy to see some of our favourite waiters/servers again this year. Everyone at the resort is so friendly always smiling but there is always a few that really make a lasting impression. I would like to personally thank them first:
Raymundo our favourite waiter at Alcazar (my mother wanted to bring him home and adopt him).........and also to Didier and Emmanuel for excellent service.....Jose and Gregario at the Hacienda Arrecife restaurant and my son's 2 favourite guys Alfredo and Miguel (who on our last night there knew my son liked the neopolitan ice-cream and there was none left - so he made a little scoop of vanilla/chocolate & strawberry and put it all together in 1 scoop for him) at the ice-cream/dessert station at Alcazar........and to Frederic Ceglarski who gave us the building we asked for again this year (16).....also to Frederic who did something above and beyond what I consider to be such outstanding service......prior to arriving at El Cid I had sent an e-mail asking if it was possible to have tangerine juice for my son (who has special needs)....thinking it was like at home you could go to the store and buy a carton of juice, store it in the fridge and maybe have it for us when we arrived (I did receive an e-mail back to say yes no problem)....to make a long story short.....they don't carry tangerines at the resort but they sent someone out to buy some for my son and they "freshly squeezed" his glasses of juice for him!!!.....Seriously....who does this??...I was so blown away and a little embarrassed....I would never have asked this if I had of known it would take so much work.....but the juice was so yummy!!...........Thank-you....thank-you for that :)

- Our room was perfect....everything was spotless and we had a great maid who was always checking to make sure we had everything we needed. As well the guy who re-stocked the fridge was by almost every day to make sure our fridge was full.
The views from building 16 are amazing....you are looking directly over the pool and are facing the ocean as well.....it doesn't get any better than that!

- The food was amazing.......lot's of variety.......we only ate at the buffet's because of my son but they had nightly themes.........Fisherman's night, International, Italian, Mediterranian, Fusion (to name a few).....always some type of rice, pasta and potoato dish, fresh veggies, and always fish, chicken, pork and beef........as well there is a grill that you can have your meat cooked to your liking. Always lots of salad options......fresh fruit, meats and cheeses, sushi, and a pasta bar.
- The desserts...........a little slice of heaven........and they have all kind of toppings for the ice-cream for the kiddies and a chocolate fondue.....what more could you ask for?
Breakfasts were very yummy too.........lot's of fresh fruits, juices,pancakes, french cinnamon toast, eggs made to order, bacon, sausages, pastries, yogurt, fresh breads....etc

- The drinks are delicious - they used fresh fruit to make daiquiri's....margarita's etc....no syrup!!

- The beach.........beautiful and clean........not huge but a great size for families with kids.....they can keep an eye on them easily - and the surf on red flag days seemed best for a little boogie boarding and not to rough.

- The pool is huge and very clean.............kids and kids at heart will love the cliff jump for hours and hours! the pool is about 4ft for the majority of the pool but there is 2 areas at the kids club end that is nice and shallow for the little ones. And the Kids Club - my son is too old to partake but from what I saw - the kids that went loved it and couldn't wait to go back the next day....and each child had an attendant with them...and they treated the kids like they were their own. Anyone with smaller kids will love this about the resort.

- The grounds of the resort are so pretty and so well kept....and it is nice that the resort is on the smaller side so you can wander around and not get lost.

- Lastly I would like to comment on how hard everyone works at the El Cid and how they go out of their way to help (I noticed several waiters help the elderly or kids take their plates from the buffet back to the table)......please be generous and tip these people and have patience if they aren't immediately back with another drink or spoon for you or if they don't understand every single request - we are visiting these people in their country and they try very hard (Treat people how you would like/expect to be treated)......I have never once seen anyone one of the staff standing around doing nothing....they work their butt's off to make sure we have wonderful vacations and a little gratitude and acknowledgement goes a long way......don't forget about the people working behind those hot grills all day making your eggs...grilling your cheeseburger.....the dessert guy who is constantly running between serving ice-cream..making sure the desserts are full and cleaning the utensils.......make sure to smile, say thank-you and tip them even a couple of $$.

If you are looking for a great - safe - friendly place to take your next vacation - then Marina El Cid is the place for you!!

7  Thank jeepwidow_10
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your amazing review and for your second stay in our resort.
We are so glad that all your family spent a nice vacation once again.
It will be a pleasure for me to share your lovely comments with Frederic, Raymundo and the rest of our staff for their nice service and for their efforts to assure your family a happy stay:)
We look forward to have you all next year in El Cid one more time.
Thank you again for your nice review, for your second visit and for complimenting Frederic and many other more.
Muchas gracias amiga, hasta pronto familia!!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We've just returned from our vacation at Marina El Cid Resort and Spa.
While our general impression of the resort is pretty good except for a few things (such as: we had to go to the beach or the pool area around 6 am every morning to reserve shezlongs for ourselves, otherwise you'll end up sitting on the sand or the ground. People reserved shezlongs early in the morning and then just didn't show up till noon or even later...I can't blame them. I felt pretty bad myself about having to do so but ... we got used quite soon to this) I strongly advise you not to buy anything from the Flea Market - as it's called - which comes to the resort on Wednesday nights.
The prices are overly high, you can get souvenirs at the resort's gift shop (the prices are fixed and not high at all) or go to Puerto Morelos (less than 10 minutes by car) and get some stuff from the local vendors there. You can still bargain with the sellers there and get the thing you like for a better price.
The vendors from the Wednesday market ask way too much for the stuff they sell. Which I can perfectly understand, BUT at least if they didn't cheat...
I am still frustrated though I know I have no one to blame but myself.
After bargaining with one of the vendors for three items we agreed on the price and he stepped back to wrap the things up. He gave me a packet with my things, I gave him the money - being very happy that I got authentic Mexican plates from a local vendor (who said that he won't be there for another two weeks so I should buy it today:).
Of course, I saw him again at the market next Wednesday.
When we got back home I opened the packet with the plates I bought only to find out that there are not three but only TWO plates...
Would I've known that one cannot trust a vendor at the market (call me naive) I'd had checked the packet before.
So! BeWARE!
Bargain well and check the packets with the stuff you 've just bought!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind comments and for your preference.
We are glad that your vacation with us was nice excepting for the issue with the vendors.
I already shared your comments with our activities manager and he will forward your comments to them and check what happened.
Thank you again for sharing your review and for bringing this issue to our attention so we can correct it immediately.
Muchas gracias amigos and we hope to see you soon amigos!!

These things were EXCELLENT:
The Food - Really! We at ate all 4 restaurants. The Marina & the Mexican restaurant in the main lobby (the name is escaping me) were best, but even the buffets were fresh, and very clean. I'm extremely picky about cleanliness and food.
The Beach - beautiful white sand. Clean! I saw no garbage, and they constantly rake up any seaweed that washes up (not that there was much). I brought beach shoes for my kids ages 7&8 but they didn't even use them.
The Pool - if you are a kid (and we have two, ages 8 and 7). The water slide and rock jumping literally kept them busy for 2 days. The water didn't seem cold to me, although it wasn't extremely hot weather during our stay.
Mixed Drinks - Fresh mint in the mojitos, fresh limes delivered daily. They must go through 10,000 limes a day? Fresh fruit in all the drinks and all drinks made to order. We never waited long for a drink, either.

These things were AVERAGE:
The wine. It's fine, but if you know your wine you likely won't love the 'house' choices.
The staff. I wasn't disappointed, but they weren't overly friendly, either. In fact I was supposed to have a butler (I signed up for the plantinum service) and after he delivered my bags to my room the first day, I never saw him again. Not that I really needed him for anything, but I thought it was strange.

These things were BELOW AVERAGE:
The platinum service - in general is a waste of money. We went with a family that didn't sign up for it and we had the EXACT same experience, other than my friend went with my husband to the plantinum club once to check her email (they don't charge for internet access there).
The chair situation at the beach and pool - I am an early riser but literally had to set my alarm to get my towel down by 6:15am to get a poolside chair?! Ridiculous. I've never seen a place where people can put an empty bottle of water on a beach chair and claim it for the day.

Things I wish I had known:
1. Don't sign up for the platinum service. Just call ahead and get reservations at the Marina and the Mexican restaurant just before you go (they do fill up, I was surprised).
2. Check out the kids club. We didn't until the last day and the kids had a blast that day. I think I was so worried about being sold a 'time share' that I neglected to get the full tour when we got there. I think getting to know the property a bit would have been worth while.
3. Buildings 17, 15 and 14 are on the ocean. We were in 19, way in back behind the alligator pond (yup). We techinically had an ocean view, but we could have been much more conveniently located. Especially since we were supposedly "platinum". I wouldn't book a room here again unless I could be guaranteed in building 17.
4. Lastly, the staff is very good at politely taking your request and doing nothing about it. We requested to be near our friend's room (for convenience) and they politely said they would try but "can't guarantee" it. They also "couldn't guarantee" adjoining rooms (why not?). They could get 2 rooms next to each other, but this is not helpful when you have kids. You need them to be connected.

In summary, we had a lovely time. It was not perfect. I can easily see someone who is not as easy going being annoyed on various occasions. Where was my butler? Why did I even have one? Why can my kids not order a virgin drink at the pool bar? Why can't I bring my room service down to the pool and eat it? Why do I have to put my towel out at 6am to get a chair? If you can overlook these things and just enjoy the clean facility, amazing food, and beautiful beach, and just watch your kids jump off the rock structure in the pool whilst sipping freshly squeezed mojitos - well then you've found the right place!

Room Tip: Go for building 17, 15, or 14. building 17 would be my first choice.
5  Thank klmklm1

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are so glad that all your family had a nice stay with us with the exceptions that you described on your review.
We apologize if you were not satisfied with the Platinum service, I will share your comments with them.
Thank you also for your positive comments, all the reviews from Tripadvisor are really important for us and help us enormously to improve and reinforce our services.
It will be a pleasure to serve all your family again in a near future and thank you again for your preference familia.
Best regards!!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Within the first few hours of our arrival at El Cid, my boyfriend and I were convinced that this could be one of the best vacations we've been on. We stayed at the Now Jade 2 years prior and traveled to the Dominican last year. Both vacations were all inclusive so we were able to accurately compare our experiences. I had booked this vacation back in October of 2012 so I think I got a very good deal on our room. I decided to book the platinum club junior suite and it was definitely a great choice! The view was spectacular. We stayed right above the adults area and had a great view of the ocean. I paid almost $1,000 more to stay at the Now Jade and had a crappy partial view of the ocean.

The check in process went very smoothly and the gentleman that assisted us in the Platinum Club was very enthusiastic and accomodating. I did notice, however, that after our initial check-in, he wasn't as enthusiastic and didn't seem to go out of his way to help us. We arrived at the hotel around 1pm and was told that our room would not be ready until 3pm, which we had expected. We went back right at 3pm and were able to get right into our room. The Platinum Club lounge was very nice. We didn't take advantage of the liquor, but loved the espresso/coffee machine as well as the bottled water and snacks available.

Our room, as I had said, was very nice. The room could use a little updating and some TLC but we weren't too concerned since we didn't plan on spending much time there anyway. I didn't notice any smells and it didn't feel damp upon entering. I did notice, though, that the air conditioner made a loud noise when it kicked on and off, which startled me a couple times, but didn't affect my sleep. The bed was pretty uncomfortable. I called down and asked for them to bring an additional mattress pad which helped A LOT! They also put this cover on top of the mattress pad that almost feels like paper. After the first couple of nights I removed and that helped even more. We were in the room a couple times when the maid stopped by to clean it and she did a very thorough job. She cleaned the room every day at the same time and even stopped by a second time during the day to freshen everything up.

I cannot comment on a lot of the restaurants because we found it much easier to eat at the buffet for every meal. We did eat at the mexican restaurant one night and the food was decent. Definitely not something to write home about. It was somewhat obnxious that all but the buffet required reservations. That is one of the main reasons why we didn't eat at them. The buffet typically had choices for everyone. Each night they had a different theme but also had standards such as pasta, hot dogs(for the kids), and fries. Don't expect to find super healthy options. They did have different cuts of meat available but most items consisted of rice or something fried. Overall, the food wasn't great, but you don't typically go to an all inclusive for the food.

The one thing that bothered me most about our stay was the service at the restaurants. We would have to order 2 drinks each because the staff usually didn't come back to refill. I understand they are busy but perhaps more people need to be working in order to provide more attention to the tables.

The pool and adult areas were great! The adult area is a hot tub that isn't really hot during the day and then the temperature goes up at night. Luckily we woke up early every day and were able to reserve the good chairs in the adult area. If we weren't down there by about 7am, we would have to settle for the crappy blue chairs. The palapas could only be reserved by platinum club members and we had a very difficult time getting a reservation. You could reserve one a day in advance. One morning I had asked about a reservation around 9am and I was told that they were all booked for the next day. We finally were able to reserve one but it ended up being cloudy that day (go figure). There seemed to be ample chairs around the pool but I did notice around 10 or 11am they were mostly taken.

The grounds are lovely and they take very good care of them. I noticed some people commented about lights that were tipped over with exposed wires and the staff driving golf carts around and into "crowds" of people. Yes, I did notice some of this stuff too, but the staff have jobs to do and if it requires taking a busy path with a golf cart to do it, then that's what has to be done. I saw a light knocked over as well, but I also realize that it can take a couple days for something like that to be fixed. I definitely don't think these minor details would ruin my vacation.

Some tips: bring an extra towel - it was really nice being able to throw our towels on the chairs and not having to wait until the towel counter to open in the morning. Bug spray is not needed, we didn't get bit once by one. Order 2 drinks EACH at the restaurants (mainly buffet) - the wait staff will ask you what you'd like to drink and then never return so you need to stock up for the whole meal.

Like I had said, this was one of the best vacations (especially for the price) that we have been on! I will definitely consider staying at El Cid in the future if we don't decide to travel somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lfrisk

Dear Couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa 6 Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your excellent review and for your stay with us.
We look forward to serve you both again in another opportunity amigos.
Thank you again for your great comments and for choosing El Cid amigos.
Muchas gracias and see you soon:)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Every aspect of this hotel was marvelous! All the way from Timeteo and Ricardo at Best Day travel to Miguel the bellman who found our one piece of missing luggage. Staff were professional and courteous, the grounds were immaculate and beautiful. I knew where the timeshare people were so all I did was avoid them and all was fine. Pool was HUGE and the kids loved the jumping cliff. Food and restaurants were above average. I cannot say enough about this place, we will definately go back to enjoy it again! Puerto Morales was a great little town to visit. Felt very safe and secure the whole time there. LOVED IT!!!!

Room Tip: 18308 was a terrific room.

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that all your family had a perfect stay and enjoyed the friendly service from our hotel staff,
Thank you also for sharing your review on this site:)
We look forward to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for selecting El Cid and for your nice comments that we will gladly share with all our staff.
Muchas gracias and best regards familia!!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I got married at the Hotel Marina El Cid on November 12, 2012 and loved it! We stayed at the hotel for Thursday - Wednesday and got married on a Monday. All of our guests (30 people) also stayed at the hotel and we were all impressed. There are a few things I would like to review, so I will organize this way:

Food: The food was delicious. We loved the Mexican restaurant, Hacienda. I had a delicious steak and they made a beautiful Mayan coffee after dinner, it was quite a show! We ate there with a large group and they were very accommodating. We also enjoyed the other restaurants, especially the guacamole during lunch! We had dinner on the jetty as part of our wedding package and it was delicious and beautiful! I totally recommend this for couples!

Spa: My husband and I got couples massages. They were so nice and relaxing. They were included in our wedding package so I'm not sure we would spend that much if they had not been. We were able to spend an hour before our massages in the spa doing water treatments, steam room, and sauna. We then had our massages in a cabana on the beach. It was perfect.

Rooms: We got upgraded to the Platinum club because it was our wedding but I did see the other rooms and they looked just as nice. We loved our jacuzzi tub in the room but had cold water one evening and could not get hot!

Wedding: I cannot say enough good things about the wedding and our coordinator, Melina. First of all, we communicated by email for about 9 months. She accommodated all of my needs and always said yes. We met three days before the wedding and discussed all of the details. On the day of our wedding it rained for just about 30 minutes. When I arrived to the wedding and reception area Melina was soaked because she had been running around moving wedding favors and other materials. She stayed with us the whole wedding to make sure we had everything we needed. The ceremony was so beautiful on the jetty. The minister was great and even though it was windy, it was so perfect. We hired the mariachi band and a guitarist for the ceremony. The mariachi played while we were taking photos for the cocktail hour. We loved the photographer and videographer from the hotel as well. They were around for most of the night and each brought an assistant! They got some great shots. My only complaint is that we did not know we had to pick out our photos 4 days later so we had to drive from our honeymoon resort back to the original hotel to pick out the photos and it took up a whole morning. We also have not received our video yet. We made our own playlist and rented the speakers, which came with someone to control the music, we also rented some bright lights and a stage to light up the beach. It was an amazing and beautiful day, I could not have asked for anything better!

Entertainment was pretty good. During the day there were games, but the best part was the slide and cliff jumping rock! We loved the rock. The slide is a little rough, one of my friends sprained her ankle on it. You can also rent a hobby cat boat for an hour for free. Snorkeling was very close (in the marina) nearby. We did the snorkeling trip recommended by the hotel and it was great! They brought us to the reef nearby and we had an hour with a guide.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bethany G
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your fantastic review and for celebrate your wedding with us.
We are so glad that everything was magical on that important day and that Melina was really helpful and courteous during your wedding.
I just shared your review with her and with the rest of our staff.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another special date, maybe in your first anniversary:)
Thank you again for your fantastic review and for your confidence to celebrate your wedding in our resort.
We wish you the best together amigos, Que vivan los Novios!!!!