“WONDERFUL!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
North Battleford, Canada
“WONDERFUL!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Every aspect of this hotel was marvelous! All the way from Timeteo and Ricardo at Best Day travel to Miguel the bellman who found our one piece of missing luggage. Staff were professional and courteous, the grounds were immaculate and beautiful. I knew where the timeshare people were so all I did was avoid them and all was fine. Pool was HUGE and the kids loved the jumping cliff. Food and restaurants were above average. I cannot say enough about this place, we will definately go back to enjoy it again! Puerto Morales was a great little town to visit. Felt very safe and secure the whole time there. LOVED IT!!!!

Room Tip: 18308 was a terrific room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that all your family had a perfect stay and enjoyed the friendly service from our hotel staff,
Thank you also for sharing your review on this site:)
We look forward to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for selecting El Cid and for your nice comments that we will gladly share with all our staff.
Muchas gracias and best regards familia!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,763)
Culver City, Ca
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I got married at the Hotel Marina El Cid on November 12, 2012 and loved it! We stayed at the hotel for Thursday - Wednesday and got married on a Monday. All of our guests (30 people) also stayed at the hotel and we were all impressed. There are a few things I would like to review, so I will organize this way:

Food: The food was delicious. We loved the Mexican restaurant, Hacienda. I had a delicious steak and they made a beautiful Mayan coffee after dinner, it was quite a show! We ate there with a large group and they were very accommodating. We also enjoyed the other restaurants, especially the guacamole during lunch! We had dinner on the jetty as part of our wedding package and it was delicious and beautiful! I totally recommend this for couples!

Spa: My husband and I got couples massages. They were so nice and relaxing. They were included in our wedding package so I'm not sure we would spend that much if they had not been. We were able to spend an hour before our massages in the spa doing water treatments, steam room, and sauna. We then had our massages in a cabana on the beach. It was perfect.

Rooms: We got upgraded to the Platinum club because it was our wedding but I did see the other rooms and they looked just as nice. We loved our jacuzzi tub in the room but had cold water one evening and could not get hot!

Wedding: I cannot say enough good things about the wedding and our coordinator, Melina. First of all, we communicated by email for about 9 months. She accommodated all of my needs and always said yes. We met three days before the wedding and discussed all of the details. On the day of our wedding it rained for just about 30 minutes. When I arrived to the wedding and reception area Melina was soaked because she had been running around moving wedding favors and other materials. She stayed with us the whole wedding to make sure we had everything we needed. The ceremony was so beautiful on the jetty. The minister was great and even though it was windy, it was so perfect. We hired the mariachi band and a guitarist for the ceremony. The mariachi played while we were taking photos for the cocktail hour. We loved the photographer and videographer from the hotel as well. They were around for most of the night and each brought an assistant! They got some great shots. My only complaint is that we did not know we had to pick out our photos 4 days later so we had to drive from our honeymoon resort back to the original hotel to pick out the photos and it took up a whole morning. We also have not received our video yet. We made our own playlist and rented the speakers, which came with someone to control the music, we also rented some bright lights and a stage to light up the beach. It was an amazing and beautiful day, I could not have asked for anything better!

Entertainment was pretty good. During the day there were games, but the best part was the slide and cliff jumping rock! We loved the rock. The slide is a little rough, one of my friends sprained her ankle on it. You can also rent a hobby cat boat for an hour for free. Snorkeling was very close (in the marina) nearby. We did the snorkeling trip recommended by the hotel and it was great! They brought us to the reef nearby and we had an hour with a guide.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bethany G
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your fantastic review and for celebrate your wedding with us.
We are so glad that everything was magical on that important day and that Melina was really helpful and courteous during your wedding.
I just shared your review with her and with the rest of our staff.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another special date, maybe in your first anniversary:)
Thank you again for your fantastic review and for your confidence to celebrate your wedding in our resort.
We wish you the best together amigos, Que vivan los Novios!!!!
New York
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We go to all inclusive resorts once a year with family and friends for the last 10 yrs and this was the worst experience ever. As a summary: check in process, restaurant reservation process, customer service and cleanliness of rooms/cribs - was by far the worst we have experienced.

1. Check-in process was the worst, staff was consistently unfriendly and at times rude. Check in time was 3PM, we came in the morning and asked if it's possible to check in by 2:00PM in time for our one yr old's nap, and requested a crib, the front desk associate pointed at a sign with a dismissive "no" and said: 3PM. We asked to speak to the manager - he said no. After walking around for a few hours we came to the lobby at 2:00PM to check our luck and were rudely advised not to come back until 3:00PM. We waited for an hour with a crying baby at the reception only to witness 4 couples with older kids getting family rooms before us. We asked to speak to the manager to see if anything could be done at all for the baby to go to sleep, explained that we are witnessing check in process and it'salmost 3:00PM and baby is miserable and were advised...to go and try to convince people to give up their rooms!!! 3:00PM came - no check in. 3:30 - the manager was yelling at us that he is trying to "operate a business" and already sent two people to check the room. When we asked him to lower his voice and explain why at 3:30 we are not checked in - he said very rudely that at the check out we can have those extra 30 minutes. Manager's name is Guillermo Trejo Luna. When we finally got the room, there was no crib in it. When 30 minutes later they brought in the crib (=small pack and play) - it was dirty. When we requested for a new crib, the cleaning person was trying to clean the crib side mesh's stains with some cleaning solution with no luck. They agreed to bring a new crib which was not much better. I personally took towels and washed the whole crib myself.
2. There is a buffet and 3 restaurants on premises. The way the reservation process works is that you can make reservations up to 3 days in advance to a restaurant of our choice. After a 30 min wait to speak to the concierge we quickly learned that the first 2 days are booked and the third day the first available reservation is 9:00PM to the restaurant that does not allow kids post 7:30PM. This experience lasted every day until the end of vacation. We spoke to several concierges (2 per day) who gave us highly inconsistent information about our choices. We had to wait for 30minutes to speak to a manager only to realize that the person we spoke to was not a manager, and then had to wait another 45 minutes to speak to a manager who was able to make a change and seat us during the last day.
3. Our room in building 18 had mold, we were not moved despite several requests, we tried to spend as little time as possible in the room. For people with small kids - it may be important - bathrooms and showers are beautifully designed in a way that there is a wide gap between the glass door and the wall with no lucks. For active kids who like to through things into the toilet or be with their parents at all times - there is no way to have privacy (lock) in shower or bathroom.
4. Ocean was wavy and rocky, pool area was great - water slides were a lot of fun for the kids.
5. Kids club was small and hot, we did not use it.
6. One of the three shows (fire show) was great, the others were bad
I wish I had seen some of the things we experienced in other reviews. This is the first negative review I have ever written about a resort.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a family room and although it is nicely designed it is not suited for a family - bath...
3 Thank Janechka
Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your stay with us.
We sincerely regret that your experience with us was not as you expected to be.
I just spoke with Guillermo, our front desk manager and he told me that he did all that was on his hands to help you and regarding to the restaurant reservations I am the one that talked with you and assisted you with your reservation on your last evening, by the way you already had a reservation for our Marina restaurant on that night and I also explained you that we have certain seatings for kids in our Alcazar restaurant and we can not make exceptions for respect to the other guests.
Regarding to our kids club, it might be a little small but the attention of Sara our kids club manager and her staff is first class as you can read on all the reviews posted on tripadvisor.
Please feel free to contact us anytime and apologize us again if you were not happy with us, we are always improving our resort and our services and we try to help to our guests as much as we can.
Muchas gracias amigos, best regards!!
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel was amazing, the staff was always helpful and delightful. The rooms were AWESOME!! The view was breath-taking! Everything was very clean and tidy. Was a great family place, lots to do for the kids!
The KIDS CAMP was AMAZING! All of the girls there were so great! Michel, Ari, Sara, and Kitty were the BEST!! I wish I could have brought them home with us!! They always took care of my kiddos, my kids didn't want to leave.
There was not a wanting for food, breakfast and lunch were enormous amounts of food.....almost too much. But I will say that the Marina restaurant was delicious, but the restaurant Alcazar was amazing (for dinner). Miguel was the BEST! He was great with the kids, but also very attentive to our table.
Went dolphin swimming and it was amazing as well! Best experience of my life! We also did a photo shoot with Noeli, she was great! I can send some examples if needed. The pictures turned out beautifully. Hector was also great....he was wonderful with the kids as well!
Overall, a wonderful experience for all! Would definitely return!

Room Tip: We had a room with an ocean view...we were on the top floor....both were great!!
1 Thank Michelle G
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your excellent review and for your preference.
We are so glad that all your family had a perfect stay and that your kids had a blast in our kids club.
I will gladly share your great comments with Ari, Sara, Kitty and Michel, we are so proud of our resort and our staff takes all the credits:)
Thank you also for sharing your pictures amigos.
It will be a pleasure to serve all your family again in another vacation and thank you again for sharing your review, for your preference but mainly for recognizing our kids club staff.
Hasta pronto familia, muchas gracias!!
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My kid had a blast but because of the rock feture they have. not good for adults. the BARTENDERS are miserable and only happy when their supervisors are watching them. even if you tip them well they are ignorant, even to the kids. For being a family resort they have lights that were knocked over by the grounds crew with exposed wires. the have rakes laying around the beach whcih my son almost walked on, and the drive theier gold carts throught the crowds and dont take the back routes?????? almost clipping kids. the front desk staff were excellent. and the will try to push time shares on you. room sevice from staff from night before will leave things in the hall from previous night until the next days at 8am???? does this mean that no security has walked the halls at night? how comforting. They have a long way to go. I cant believe that i paid more for this trip than i did for a RIU and the Barcelo. EL Cid you need to study the first class resorts standards.

Room Tip: they tell everyone that the got an upgrade and all i got was weeds in front of me. be cautious of th...
2 Thank charles m
Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your review and for your stay with us.
We are glad that your kids had fun and we really regret that our hotel did not meet your expectations.
In our resort we respect all the opinions and preferences and we always use the reviews of tripadvisor to improve our service.
We thank you again for your past visit and for sharing your opinion on this site and if there is something that we can do to change the perception that you had from our hotel do not hesitate to contact us anytime .
Muchas gracias and best wishes!!
Milton, VT
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Even though this is a very large family-friendly property, it was perfect for our honeymoon. The variety of food was fantastic and quite tasty. The housekeeping staff was phenomenal. We had a beautiful ocean view room. Building 17 is one of the best. We were on the ground floor which was actually perfect. We could walk out to the pool and beach. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Watch out for the timeshare folks who are actually staff of the hotel so it is deceiving. There is a concierge but they are located in the same place as the timeshare staff. Be sure to go to the desk marked CONCIERGE for information on the hotel.
The spa is spectacular. We did a couples treatment complete with hydrotherapy and massage. Very impressive.
TIP: The beach is sandy but there is coral in the water, bring water shoes for swimming!
All in all a great experience, highly recommend!

Room Tip: Not a bad room in Building 17, Building 16 a bit noisier given it is pool side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Honeymooners:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa 6 Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your perfect review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your husband had a relaxed stay and enjoyed our resort and our facilities.
Thank you also for sharing your review and for recommending us on this website.
We look forward to serve you again in another special occasion amigos.
Thank you again for your great comments and for choosing El Cid Resorts
Muchas gracias and have a happy life together:)
Lake Arrowhead, California
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We return to this El Cid because of the beauty of the beach, the amazing service and friendliness of the staff and because of the amenities they provide. This all-inclusive resort offers a catamaran snorkle trip to the reef, kayaks, boogie boards and sailboat rides, but if activities aren't your thing, reserve your palapa and just sit back and unwind.The beachfront is raked at least twice a day, resulting in beautiful soft, white sand to sink your toes into. If that doesn't do it, book a massage at the spa, beginning with their sauna, then steamroom and last, the jacuzzi, which give a head start to loosening the knots. The massage itself is in an oceanfront room--you'll melt! Have your meals buffet style or reserve a spot at one of the three restaurants offering differing choices off the menu. What tops it for us, however, is the service from the employees, who greet you with a hand to the heart. How many places can you go where you are not only hugged by the waiters when you leave, but are even given little gifts? It all works together for a wonderful vacation but it's these guys who keep us coming back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alison98
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa 6 Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for your continuos visits to our resort.
We are so glad that you and your husband had a relaxed stay once again and enjoyed the warm service that distinguish to each of the more than five hundred staff members that are part of our resort.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.com:)
We look forward to your next visit and thank you again for your preference and for recognizing our hotel staff.
Hasta pronto and warm regards amigos!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,803 reviews
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!