“Had a good time....but a few pointers”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kelowna, Canada
“Had a good time....but a few pointers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I agree with the comments made by Barbara L. from Flin Flon. First off here's what we liked. The room was nice with lots of space. The staff were "outstanding". They were always cheerful and I think the smile was glued on their faces. I always enjoyed talking with them. Kudo's go to the pool staf who organized and controled all the daily happenings and games by the pool. They could really get you involved. The grounds were in tip top shape and the whole resort was spotless. Enjoyed my daily visit with the turtles and lonely croc. The food was good but at times was cold. My wife and I don't eat any sea food but for sea food lovers this is the place for you.

I do want to thank the Best Day Staff of Joe..Hulio...and Timotho. They were always there for us and it was comforting to know they would look after us promptly. Well done Guys.

Now for some of the dislikes. We did not get the room that we asked for. Even though we booked in September we were told the room we asked for was not available. We had asked for a simple room with an ocean view and two double beds. We ended up in building 18 on the 2nd floor looking at trees and a river and had a king size bed. Our sink was plugged for our 14 day stay and we reported this 4 times to the front desk with no help from them. I feel the time Share people are like Vultures. Until you are recognized by them there will approach you every time you are near the lobby. The location of the hotel is not very good. I would be ok if the collectivo's were still available but since they are not $10.00 is pretty expensive for a one way trip to town. Getting 2 face cloths....2 hand towels ...a shower mat was almost impossible. I think we had to go and find the cleaning staff pretty well everyday to get something that should have been in the room. I realize this is a children friendly Resort. Outside in the pool area and the childrens play area fun was had by all. However inside in the dining area it was impossible to have a fairly quiet evening meal. Another point with the kids is that there were times when we wanted to have a before dinner drink or one after diiner there were no seats available in the indoor bar as Time Share people were doing their thing with new comers and family's were there with their kids. I thought a bar was for adults!! There were no newspapers available unless you had the gold band on your wrist. The gift shop received about 5 daily but they were gone in a heart beat.

Now for my biggest complaint. WHERE IS THE CANADIAN FLAG OUTSIDE???? My wife and I were shocked that there was no flag representing Canada. I would be willing to bet there were more Canadians at the resort than anyone else. We asked the front desk staff but they didn't know why. There is not even a pole for our flag.

Now having said what I have , we did have an enjoyable holiday. I only hope my review will help someone looking to visit the El Cid.

Room Tip: Good for a beach holiday.....exploring on your own is too expensive with the cost of taxi's. Eve...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Timandjo_11
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your stay with us.
We are glad that you and your friends had a nice holiday in our resort.
We are a family friendly resort as I commented before and everybody know this and of course that are kids enjoying their vacation, we offer a silence zone for adults only:)
We always have the Canadian flag on the entrance of our resort, on the past days we replaced for a new one.
Thank you again for your comments and for sharing your review on tripadvisor.com amigos, esta es su casa:)
Best regards!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,721)
Wilton, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

First I want to say we LOVE El Cid! We have been every year and we are coming up on our 7th year this year! You will find this is a truly relaxing fun resort! Our children our 16yrs. old and 19yrs. old. and they love it. The activity staff is wonderful and stay in contact with the kids over facebook thru out the year! Even though the staff comes and goes there are still a few that are still at the resort, which is nice for the kids. Now for the hotel we are platinum members, and 4 out of the 6 times we were given the room we requested. Being a platinum member you have extra perks, and we find it important that we get a room or close to where we want to be. Building 17 floor level beach front is the BEST room around. This is why we became Platinum members. The staff through out the resort are top notch employee's they are warm friendly and go out of their way to assist you. The pool is WONDERFUL....now my only complaint is having to get out there at 6am to save two seats! Once you get your seat you are fine, but the problem is people that save seats and never come back to them through the day because they are at the beach or off on activities. Staff should be removing towels if the chairs are not occupied within a hour. This service is done a lot at other resorts, keeps chairs free for people that want to lay by the pool. Food, wow, never had a complaint and I have one picky eater and there is always food to be found for him. You won't find a McDonald's or a Subway because you are in MEXICO, and you should be eating Mexican food. Nighttime show's, they are good but they are the same shows year after year time to change them up alittle. As for them being outside BEAUTIFUL....the weather is usually warm never had a bad day of weather. Going into town has become expensive as it is now $10 each way, the resort should looking into doing something for the platinum member's about the cost. During the day it is a wonderful walk on the beach into town, but it is nice to go into town in the evening to support the local shops. We feel totally safe at our resort and we highly recommend El Cid Spa & Beach to everyone! We will be arriving in two weeks once again so stay tuned for our review. I will keep you posted on changes that were made to the resort since last year. As we know they are making changes daily only to improve the resort! I wanted to write this review because I want people to know this is a wonderful resort.

Room Tip: go for the beach views, we like the lower level's.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your fantastic comments and for your frequent visits to our resort.
We are so glad that you and your family always have a nice time and enjoy all our services and facilities.
Thank you also for recognizing our hotel staff and for recognize our improvements and changes.
We will see you in two weeks amigos and thank you again for your loyalty and for sharing your review on this site.
Muchas gracias amigos and see you in two weeks:)
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Marina El Cid service is built for production and not personalized, it seems to me that there is some attitude amongst some of the staff towards guests. Our group of 4 stayed between Jan 23rd to Jan 31st, 2013.

Positives
- NIce Facility
- Nice Pool
- Nice Beach
- Good Service in the Main Buffett and very nice people serving
- Spa Servce was excellent but expensive

Negatives
- Terrible Housekeeping despite tipping (missing towels, no face cloths, broken running toilet, lights out over vanity, no soap etc.) Tipping should be expected for doing a great job not an expectation for running the cart by the door.
- Food Inconsistent, bland and I was diagnosed with Salmonella poisoning from the trip and only ate in the resort, the El Alkazar (Reservations) restaurant was average at best the Steak was terrible and the Seafod was overcooked, it was obvious the food was mass prepared and precooked which is surprising with Seafood.
- Bartending was poor at best, the bartenders pour 3 oz of booze in a 6 oz cup making the drinks undrinkable for most and when the ladies tried to request a custom drink they were ignored and the bartender just poured whatever they wanted. Attitude, Attitude and yet more attitude from the bartending staff, Buy some shot glasses and listen to the customers.
- Early morning phone calls from Time share and staff noise outside the rooms at night. I recommend ear plugs
- Hot water in the am is in short supply
- No exhaust fans in the bathrooms and when you have Salmonella Diarrhea that sure would have been nice for my wife at least
- I fixed the Toilet flush handle five times

Room 16010

Senior Bustamonte maybe implement some of the suggestions that are generated as people don't leave negative feedback because they enjoy it, they are trying to help improve your facility and inform others, remember that your facilities are peoples temporary homes while they are away from home.

I wouldn't go back before trying another resort on the Mayan Riviera.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hal5000
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your preference.
We really appreciate all the suggestions of our guests and when those suggestions are reachable, we apply them.
All the food prepared in our hotel, water and ice is completely safe and we follow all the HACCP and international standards and we are certified by external companies with years of experience.
In El Cid we know how important vacations are, and we always do our best with our team to serve to our guests in the best way possible.
We already took some actions regarding to our bar service amigos:)
We hope to serve you again in another occasion, esta es su casa.
Best regards!!
Flin Flon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

The positives of this resort are the staff who are very good, the awesome pool and swim grotto, the great swimup bar. The resort is overall very nice, with rooms being in several separate buildings all of which are not far from the amenities. Nicely laid out. The food was very good, if not a little inconsistent particularly in the "a la carte" sections.

The negatives were the isolated location and the expensive transportation to go even a short distance. You are gated in and at their mercy unless you are fit and can walk in the heat down the beach 20 minutes to Peurto Morelos. You cannot do anything on your own such as use the snorkle equipment or the bicycles. There are no scooters for rent etc.

This is very much a family resort. There were more kids than at Disneyworld, and I am not kidding!!! The rooms are not soundproofed either so if you have a rowdy bunch next door you might as well go and join them in the fun because you are in the middle of it.

Everything here is about an upgrade. We got an OK room for our "luxury" purchase but it was set back more in the mangroves and swamp than near the ocean. We could not even see the pool. We could view crocodilles etc. Since we do not spend much time in the room unless we are ill we were not willing to barter for an upgrade. Ask about your room location right off the bat and make it very clear you do not want to be in the swamp. Make them show you your room. You will be exhausted, but this step will be worth it.

The beach is not a swimming beach (hence the wonderful pool) The bottom is rough coral so bring water booties if you want to swim, and your own snorkel equipment. Down the beach about 40 miles we had other family members at a similar resort where the snorkle equipment was handed to them on the beach, transportation was cheap, they got spa credits etc. So again do your homework.

As I said everything is about bartering for an upgrade. There are very few shade huts on the beach (and non around the pool). Every nice day the shade huts are roped off for the Platinum club members. So much for the luxury vacation package.

The tours sold buy Best Day and the resort were expensive. If you can get in to Puerto Morelos, which is a mini playa del carman you will find many tour operators in the many stores and businesses around the beach. They look better than the ones at the hotel and are much cheaper. Lots more fun in Peurto Morelos unless you like the structured life of a time share resort.

Oh yes and did I mention this is a time share resort, so you have to duck the sellers.

Basically I will never go to a resort like this again. It is great for a family with small children, but once you are past that, or if you are young and childless you can have a lot more fun staying in resorts right in the communities. Do your research. Be prepared to pay lots extra if you stay here unless you are content to lay around the pool all day and never see anything else.

Avoid the Cancun airport on weekends at any cost!!! I can not stress this enough. This is a terrible cattle call, coming and going. 100,000 guest go through there in a month and most on weekends.

Loved Playa and Puerto Morelos. Will definitly try and get to this area again.

Room Tip: Always stress you do not want to be set back in the swamp. Make them show you your room first, eve...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Barbara L
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear friends:
We are so glad that you enjoyed some aspects of your holiday.
We are a family hotel and we like to see families enjoying their holiday all together, we have a silence zone for adults only, if our guests wish to enjoy that area.
We are an all inclusive resort and all our guests are treated with the same respect and the service quality and the best proof of this are the more than two thousand genuine reviews posted on tripadvisor.
Thank you again for your comments and for your stay with us.
We are at your service anytime, kind regards amigos!!
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Of the 3 resorts we visited in the Cancun area in 2012 this was my 10 and 11 year olds' favorite. The entry level rooms were quite nice, with well-stocked mini fridge. 5th floor seem nicer with view over the tree canopy.

Pros: great food, excellent breakfast choices incl licuados (smoothies), lots of activities, HUGE pool with cliff jumping, nice beach, lots of loungers, kids club okay (only used once), proximity to Crococun Zoo (expensive cab ride, but cabbie waited with all our luggage and gave us a discounted price after we continued on to Puerto Juarez), quiet in the evenings. Only tried one al a carte was okay. Gym was basic, but new. Good service. Internet is good (with a charge). Room safe good. Air con problem was fixed quickly, good service.

Cons: mosquitos in the evening, bit of a swampy smell (common in Mayan Riviera), beach has sharp coral, one little girl cut her foot and was screaming, but staff were well-prepared and responded quickly (also common on this coast).

Overall: Really liked the pool facilities, we were in the water all the time, safe for kids to walk around on their own, good food, had tennis (concrete court was not great but we played). Good sleep, not noisy, great for kids in 8-14, relaxing setup for singles, not much night life and far from clubs if that's your thing, but super for families. Would return. Check out my other reviews,

Room Tip: try upper floors for view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your fantastic comments and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice holiday with us and that your kids had a blast in our resort.
Thank you also for sharing your comments and for your lovely pictures, one of the main attractions of our hotel and Puerto Morelos is the wild life that you can find everywhere:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for selecting El Cid and for sharing your comments with us.
Warm regards familia!!
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

There were 4 of us who stayed there Jan 27th to Feb 3rd. We were somewhat concerned about the Time Share people based on all of the reviews we read but we were not bothered once during our whole stay. There are always around but if you don't appear to be interested, they don't bother you. The rooms are exceptional and the resort is very very clean. The food was as good as an All Inclusive can offer. The EL Alcazar A la Carte is excellent so if you go, definitely book that one. The Marina was also good.

If you are travelling with children, this is definitely a great resort....there were lots of children who all appeared to have a great time.

There are really no vendors selling stuff on the beach so if that is one of your pet peeves, you will enjoy this resort. If you want to purchase souvenirs, you have to go to the closest town which is Puerto Morelos. If you are up to a good "hike" you can walk it. Otherwise they charge you $10 us each way! Not worth it but they don't barter on prices. If anyone recommends the Pelicanos restaurant in Puerto Morelos, DON'T GO!! It was the worst food we ever tasted. There were 8 of us who went there one night.

We LOVED the staff. They made our stay one of the most enjoyable. Our favorite waiter was Allen who always reserved our favorite table outside and provided us with exceptional service. The rest of the staff were also exceptional. We had absolutely no complaints. It would take me too long to explain the difference the staff made in our holiday!!

TAKE MOSQUITO SPRAY!!!!!......The mosquitos are definitely an issue there so don't forget to take your spray!

Our rooms were very very clean....only problem is that you don't always get new towels and if you do, quite often you only get 1. We were a little disappointed that the Maids didn't make towel art. We tipped really well our first day - $10.00 but did not get anything extra so from there on in, we didn't. We are used to getting the "extras" which they don't do here.

Overall, I have no complaints and if we were to travel back to the Mayan, we would definitely stay there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Brenda K
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your friends had a relaxed holiday with us.
Thank you also for sharing your review, it is so nice that you enjoyed the warm service of our hotel staff:)
There will be always opportunity areas in any resort but we will continue improving our resort with the help of our efficient staff.
Esta es su casa amigos and we hope to see you soon:)
Muchas gracias!!
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Marina el Cid for 10 days in Building 16. We lucked out with the building - we had a pool and an ocean view ! We are a family of 4 with 2 little girls.
The room was big and always clean. HUGE shower and tons of hot water.
We ate at both al a cartes and the buffet - the food was good everywhere. Fantastic service by the wait staff and bartendetrs at both the pool and the beach
The pool was huge and the oasis in the center was awesome - the kids loved it. Sometimes it was tough to get pool chairs in the sun, but not bad if you were down early enough. My only complaint was that the pool was freezing - but we didn't get much sun in 10 days so I guess that's to be expected.
We are planning on returning to this resort again next year and this time bringing my entire family. It's small enough that it's easy to get around and we never had to worry about where the kids were. My mum doesn't get around well so it won't be too much walking for her. Hopefully we can request a 2 or 3 bedroom suite next year without being platinum members. We did sit through the 90 minute timeshare spiel which was a waste of time but it didn't matter.
I also wanted to mention Kids Club - it was fantastic. Sara and Ari do an amazing job and my girls absolutely loved spending time with them. I hope they're still there next year when we return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jacs223
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your awesome review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you had a nice time at El Cid and that you and your family will visit us again next year.
Thank you also for your nice comments and for recommending our resort on tripadvisor.com.
Please feel free to contact us anytime if you need any assistance with your future reservations.
Thank you again for your review and for selecting El Cid for your family vacation:)
Hasta la vista amigos!!
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,734 reviews
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!