“Perfect family vacation for all ages”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Perfect family vacation for all ages”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The trip was all-inclusive, including the airfare. The resort was close to the airport, a plus and in a safe area so you were not forced to stay on the grounds. The resort set-up was very compact so that you could walk easily to everywhere. Three generations went for 5 nights and there was always something for everyone. The beach is 40 feet from the huge pool and there was always a lounge chair available in both places. The staff was friendly, helpful, and attentive. The buffets were never crowded enough to require a line. The food was different every day and delicious and varied. There was a grill in each one that you could take a selection (fish, meat, vegetables etc) to and have cooked to order - again no wait - or build your own omelet for breakfast.. There were 3 restaurants to make reservations for a sit-down meal. The food was more upscale and had great service but hard work to get a reservation for more than 2 nights of the 5. The rooms were larger than I expected: 2 sinks, a great walk in shower, constant towels, a nice balcony that was great for drying beach wear. Activities were endless: fitness room, yoga and spinning classes, tennis,fun pool activities for all ages (anyone could participate in any of them), large white beach (area for pickup soccer, football, frisbees,beach volleyball), hobie cat sailing and kayaks in the Gulf, beach chairs, hammocks in the sun or under shade of trees, hot tub for adults, bars and travelling bartenders everywhere, bike tour, safely walk a mile into Porto Morellos( a small town with sights and shops). Casual dress and beach wear made a great vacation - even walk in bare feet from room to pool to beach. The place was quiet and relaxing everywhere, except for activity time around the pool, so it was a very pleasant place to be. The whole atmosphere was like summer camp with the staff doing everything possible to help you have a good time. The only disclaimer on the trip is that I would not go back without either a few friends or family. It was having our whole family there together enjoying all the above that made the trip so fabulous. We could do anything together and never had to wait in a single line.

Room Tip: It is always a trade-off. We were on the first floor which was noisier because the towel carts and o...
15 Thank traveler30226
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that your family had a relaxed stay with us and that every generation of your family found something nice to do:)
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.com and for recommending our hotel.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in a near future and thank you again for your preference.
Happy new Year family!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,798)
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2012

A little background: I went as part of an extended-family trip around Christmastime. The price was right: Booking through CheapCaribbean.com, we paid about $1,300 per person for five nights (double occupancy) at this all-inclusive resort, airfare and transportation to/from the airport included.

The positives: A nice, relatively compact resort. Large rooms; I believe that everyone has a balcony overlooking the pool (or a fragmentary view of the pool) or the ocean. Clean and well-maintained. The staff was universally & consistently friendly. (The servers were appreciative of tips that people in our large party gave after meals, but people who we didn't tip were warm and courteous as well.) The kids made friends with the guest-activities staff. Speaking Spanish with the staff (or trying to) also broke the ice. A good variety of activities, if you wanted to participate: beach volleyball, aqua-aerobics, a "crazy hour" kayak race in the pool, a short bike ride into the tiny town of Puerto Morelos. A big, but not gigantic pool with a waterfall, slide, wading area, swimming area, and, of course, a swim-up bar. Tennis courts (two, I think) on the roof of the main building, squeezed in around the HVAC equipment. Drinks, drinks, drinks, if that's what you want. Lots of lounge chairs, beach towels, and enough hammocks. Small, cheesy entertainment (fire dancing! Mayan-style(?) dancing to a recording of techno music) nightly. Food at the breakfast/lunch/dinner buffets was good, not great. Dinner at the three restaurants for which reservations were required was a cut above and sometimes delicious. There was also a kid's club which kept younger kids busy for the day; they looked like they were having fun, but we didn't use the service. It was maybe an hour drive to the ruins at Tulum (we took a private tour), so we were able to get a little bit of sightseeing in. The bike excursion into Puerto Morelos gave us about an hour of free time, which is about all you need to check out the tourist shops and/or buy groceries. We could also go running into Puerto Morelos on our own, which we did a few mornings to buy a local paper from the OXXO convenience store. There were a few restaurants and a coffee house in town. It felt safe.

The negatives: (1) Room related: Soundproofing wasn't good in the rooms; we could hear all the activity of the family in the adjacent room; they we quiet at night, however, so it wasn't unbearable. There appeared to be a lot of flies on the ground floor of the guest buildings (we were on a higher floor).
(2) The push to sell us time-shares was a little irritating. Sure, it was easy to decline the in-person suggestions that we take a time-share tour, but it was more intrusive when no fewer than three different rooms in our party got a wake-up phone call at 9 am the morning after we arrived asking if we were interested in taking a time-share tour. One member of our group went and visited the hotel lobby afterward & told them to back off. They did, apparently.
(3) Dinner reservations. We knew in advance that three of the four restaurants open for dinner -- the non-buffet restaurants -- required reservations. What we didn't know was how limited the seating was at those restaurants. There were limitations on how many reservations one could make and how far in advance one could make them, and the fact that we had a lot of rooms booked seemed to carry no weight; initially, they wouldn't let one room make a reservation for the group one night and another room make a reservation for the following night. It was only after some serious anger & indignancy from one particularly assertive member of our party that we were able to get most of the reservations we wanted. The way these reservations were doled out, we imagined they would be packed every night. But when we went to those restaurants to eat....they were, oh, half-empty. Our conclusion is that they were holding open tables for customers who hadn't bought an all-inclusive vacation, such as the people who moored their boats at the marina. Hey, that's their business strategy, and they're entitled to it. And they're not alone; someone that one of our group met who stayed at a similar all-inclusive resort near Tulum said that their party could get reservations at *their* resort's non-buffet restaurants only two of the seven nights they were there. But it's still a downside surprise.
(4) They could do a better job of maintaining equipment. They had a nice little gym with exercise bikes, weights, stairmasters, etc. I used the treadmills--high-quality w/out TV monitors. The safety feature that I think is essential on a treadmill is the string that you clip to your shirt that's attached to a magnet on the treadmill;if you lose your footing & start sliding backward, the string clipped to your shirt pulls the button off the treadmill, which immediately stops the treadmill and prevents you from flying too far backward. Only one of the four treadmills had a clip; the others had no clip and/or string. It can't cost much to get new safety clips for these, and it would make a huge difference. It would also help if they put a little more money into their biking gear. The bikes were okay, but about half the helmets had broken chin straps, and the safety vests they had us wear were falling apart. When we got to the (tiny) center of Puerto Morelos, there was another bike tour group there, evidently from another hotel. Their bike helmets and vests were all new & shiny. It was like a scene out of Meatballs when the kids from the ragtag Bill Murray camp see how nice it is at the high-class, wealthy camp.

I realize I've spent more time on the negatives than the positives. That's not because it's a terrible place, but because the hotel & travel agents are happy to tell you all about the positives. All in all, it's a nice place to spend a few days, if the all-inclusive Mexican resort holiday is what you're looking for.

Room Tip: Fewer flies on upper floors; rooms overlooking the pool probably get a lot of sound-system noise.
4 Thank hushaphone
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice stay with us.
Thank you also for your feedback that is really important and help us to improve our service and public areas always:)
It will be so nice to serve all your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your review and for your preference.
On behalf of all our staff we wish you a happy New Year!!
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We traveled to El Cid early December. Family vacation, ages 50, 48, 30, 29, 28, 6, 4, 1.5 yrs. My 50th birthday gift. The resort was remarkable! Not perfect but no complaints either. The mixed reviews were a concern for me, I wanted everyone to have a memorable vacation. I am not a picky person but I wouldn't say I am easy to please. I don't believe there is any reason for the harsh reviews. We did not upgrade to platitum I didn't think it was necessary although I have no idea what I was missing... We stayed in a 3 BR suite which was awesome for us. Gorgeous oceanview, large balconies. My grandchildren are early birds-we ordered 7:00 am room service for them every morning and they ate again at the breakfast buffet. The days flew by, too quickly. A few things I think are worth mention, bring bug spray, water shoes, adults be careful of the waterslide, at least I did not have a graceful experience. Internet service is limited and expensive. Walk down to the small oceanfront cafe/tour guide station-off property- say hello to "Ritchie" (tell him Chris, Jeff, The Quiet One, Mr Clean and family sent you) if you would like a good snorkeling trip or a fresh lobster dinner it is the place to go. Fair, reasonable and great company, Lovely people!! My family thought the food at the resort was fantastic. El Alcazar Restaurant, Daniel is the best waiter I have ever experienced, anywhere. The spa was worth every penny!! First day of vacation my 6 yr old grandson said "I'm not going to baby land" (Kids Club) Well, we couldn't bribe him to leave "baby land" after he gave it a try. We couldn't help but tease him the entire trip. If you do not have children I would reconsider booking this resort. They do a incredible job with families and allowing guests to have a great time but there are tons of children!! We did not experience a towel natiz limited space around the childrens area of the pool. The service was great. Incredible value! I would return in a minute.

6 Thank Chris K
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your fantastic comments and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that all your family had a happy holiday with us.
Thank you also for posting your opinion and for recommending El Cid and the nice town of Puerto Morelos.
We hope to serve you all again in a near future and thank you again for your stay and for your kind comments.
Esta es su casa familia, un Feliz Año amigos!!
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our 4th trip to the El Cid was pefect as always. The resort was close to full but you would never know it. Most people were at the pool,my wife and I spent all day at the beach.We met the Manager ,Mr Bustamante who rewarded us for our loyalty with an upgrade to Platinum Club.Gracias mi amigo ! The grounds were maintained perfectly and the guys at the beach kept up with the seaweed.We were in bldg 18 on the 5th floor,very quiet,I did not notice the noisy birds that used to nest back in the mangroves,did see a couple crocs tho. We thought the food was good at the buffet and excellent at the ala cartes. We will most surely come back again. The men and women in the Platinum Club were fantastic, hats off to our butler Gabriel.The El Cid is the best value in the Caribe...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 1384
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your fourth visit to our resort.
We are so glad that you and your husband spent a lovely holiday and enjoyed the benefits of the Platinum club.
It was really nice to meet you both and of course that the loyalty of our guests is greatly appreciated:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you again for fifth time in a near future and thank you again for your loyalty after many years and for your kind review.
Happy New Year my dear friends!!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We just returned from a 7 day stay at El Cid. We are a family of 4 and had a 2 bedroom suite ocean front peace of heaven. We travelled with another family who stayed in a family suite. The first thing, check in, it was smooth and quick. We were greeted with a drink and a smile! I must say entering our room for the first time was stunning! We had a small foyer that lead to two rooms, one had 2 queen beds and bathroom. The second room had a kitchen (fridge, micro wave and coffee maker), dining room and living room and bathroom with a separate bedroom and bathroom. The balcony ran the full length of the rooms (60ft ish) with a Jacuzzi tub. The view – the waves, the ocean was breathtaking!! The room was clean and maintained very well. The only issues were the missing TV remote in the living room and one day we had ants in both bedrooms. I contacted guest services and they promptly took care of the “little issues”! The beach was cleaned daily and ongoing throughout the day. I didn’t go into the water at the resort but others in our party did and said there was rocks, garbage and not much else to see…. But nothing the hotel can do about that! The pool was great, the odd lemon or lime wedge but they cleaned daily as well. The food was great! No complaints, except my weight gain! Overall a great experience! I would return, however maybe at a quieter time.
A couple mentions – The Beach Bar – Roberto!!! He was fantastic!! He engaged everyone who came to the bar and made us all feel very welcome! He could teach a few others what a few words of kindness can do!! Well done! He works the late shift out there from 8pm…go say hello!! And Didier in the Alhambra restaurant, which is the buffet located in the lobby area! Always a smile and a kind word! That and the mimosa’s! Wonderful server and he too made us feel very welcome! I must say on the whole we truly felt welcome and enjoyed the experience!
We didn't have small children with us but they resort seemed to have a lot to offer for all ages... first time I've seen Santa on a harley!

4 Thank hakomama
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your friends had a happy vacation and that your two bedroom suite was perfect for your needs.
Thank you also for commending to Roberth our bar tender and some other more for their spirit of service:)
It will be a pleasure to serve all you again in a near future and thank you again for posting your comments and for your preference.
Feliz Año Nuevo amigos!!
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We just return from a 10 day all inclusive vacation at the Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos Mexico. We have stayed in many other resorts prior to El Cid and originally were concerned about this being a smaller resort compared to the others we had previously visited. To our surprise this ended up being one of our favorite resorts, great food and facilities, friendly staff, and a great beach for long walks. The only downside was the moment we arrived the pressure to attend a "vacation club" meeting started and didn't end until we decided to attend in order to help our guest adviser "get credits". We had asked him if this was timeshare and his immediate reply was that it was not. We have been around the block during our many years of traveling to various resorts so we went in expecting exactly what we got. We escaped within 90 minutes but there were many that did not. Our conclusion was that this resort is a front for selling timeshares so beware, do your research before signing a cheque. We would stay in this resort again but will always go with a travel agency package which in our opinion is a much better deal with no long term financial commitments.

Room Tip: It would appear that most rooms have a good location except the ones in front of the elevator and ic...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bryan B
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you had a nice stay in our resort and that you would like to come back in a near future
Thank you also for sharing your opinion on this site.
We hope to serve you real soon and on behalf of all our staff I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year amigos!!
Hasta pronto!!
New York, NY
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We just returned from an 8 day stay at El Cid and loved our time there. We did not have many expectations or requests when we booked the getaway - we just wanted a few sunny days with our two toddlers, the sale price on cheapcaribbean was great and reviews on TA quite good. The resort, however, consistently exceeded all our expectations!

The room - we were upgraded to junior suite - was very spacious with beautiful view and very high ceilings. The furniture was new, everything was working perfectly and it was exceptionally clean. The bathroom was large too, though our room had no bath, standing shower only.

The grounds were also very clean. I was amazed at how many staff El Cid had - anywhere you turn, there would be a person ready to help. Everyone was really friendly and always smiling.

The beach was also very clean and there was always room even though the hotel was almost at full capacity when we stayed there. The ocean is indeed rocky - you need to enter the water at the far right on the beach (on the opposite side from all the rentals), the ocean bottom there is just sand ;)

I was also very impressed with the food - we are not big fans of large all-you-can-eat buffets but the food was very fresh and delicious! I loved the selection of fresh fruits and salads and the boys particularly enjoyed the grill during lunch - the chef makes everything from scratch - shrimps, calamari, fish, steaks. We ate everything - from sushi to medium rare meat and never had any problems with the quality and freshness of the food! We went to two restaurants and although we enjoyed service and atmosphere I preferred my giant salads and the grill at the main buffet.

I also wanted to mention El Cid's kids club - we never really used it for our kids but we saw the kids from the club all the time. The three teachers they had were absolutely amazing, funny and genuinely happy to be with kids. They had a huge range of activities from s'mores on the beach, staged batman performances and breaking of pinatas to baby disco and scavenger hunts. Our kids were always invited to participate - the teachers always had a couple of extra chocolates or prizes. My kids loved it and I was so impressed that Ari, one of the teachers, always remembers their names even though they were never in a club for a long time, just for a game here and there, and always with us.

With two toddlers we did not book that many tours, but we took the boys to the Xcaret and absolutely loved it. It is a full day tour (and quite pricey at about $130 per person but kids under 5 are free) but we (and the boys) swam in the underground river, loved the aquarium, the butterfly farm, the Maya village and the show. I would highly recommend the tour!

All in all, we had a wonderful trip and no complaints at all! Much more than we bargained for when we booked the quick trip!

3 Thank Sirius57
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice comments and for your preference.
We are so glad that all your family had a nice and sunny vacation in our resort.
Thank you also for posting your opinion and for recommending El Cid on tripadvisor.com
It will be a pleasure to serve all of you again in another occasion and thank you again for choosing our resort for your family vacation.
Una muy Feliz Navidad amigos!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#21 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!