“We will be back!”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Let me first start this by saying.....if anyone has a negative comment to say about this resort, they are clearly looking for something to whine about.
The staff is amazing, didier, deyanira, Melina, Mary, Robert, Paulo, Antonio, louis, just to name a few, they will make any other place you stay at look bad when it comes to customer service. They are there to please you, and take their jobs seriously and are very passionate, kind souls. When we arrived, there was a note to our family asking us to please enjoy our week with two tuxedo strawberries on it that we're fresh and delicious.
There is always someone cleaning, be it a pool, the beach, from hand rails to cutting the grass - the place is immaculate!
The food is great - my father commented he would be back simply for the cooking! The buffet in the main lobby was our favourite spot, although the food is similar everywhere you go. I did find the service at the Alcazar better, everyone is friendly and eager to please though!
We got married here and it was simple, quick and amazing! They were able to use my iPhone and play our songs easily for the ceremony.
They have a wide variety of drinks - alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Their bar staff is knowledgable and fun - our group was especially fond of Robert! On his night off, I grabbed my iPod dock and the other bartender let me plug it in and get the party started!
If you are spiritual and want to experience tradition, I strongly suggest the temazcal. It is one of my favourite memories, aside from the wedding! :)
We had three children with us, two are ours, they were able to play in the pool and in the ocean and had a blast! We were a bit weary of letting them out of our site at first, but two days into our stay we felt fine with leaving them at the pool alone as this resort is extremely safe!
I cannot say enough nice things about this place, we will certainly be back to let everyone know in person how lucky we feel to have had all of these wonderful people touch our lives with such kindness and gratitude.
Enjoy your stay here, it's beautiful and well worth it! :)

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephanie C
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you, your husband and the rest of your family had a nice stay with us and that everything on your wedding went smooth and well coordinated:)
Thank you also for sharing your comments and for complimenting many of our staff members for their nice service.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in a near future in our resort and thank you again for your preference.
We wish you the best together amigos,muchas gracias!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,975)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

First of all, I have been to many all-inclusives in the Maya Riviera. Although the El Cid was very family friendly, I would not return or even recommend to friends.
First, the pros:
Rooms and grounds were very clean and well taken care of. I love the size of the resort, everything was within a 5 minute walk. The pool was great - kids loved the rock structure for cliff diving and waterslide. Beach was nice, nothing extraordinary. We found drink service around the pool and on the beach to be good. Never went very long without a drink. Alberto is a very hard worker! A la Cartes were average, Mexican being our least favorite.
Now for the cons:
Front Desk service hands down the worst out of every place I have stayed. What is the point of offering "mega pass coupons" for upgrades if eveytime you asked for something the answer was "NO". Diego and Pablo were especially rude. Especially when it came to scamming us on late check out. Peope pay good money to come to your resort .... try stepping up your front line customer service.
Main buffet was too crowded and made me feel like I was in a cafeteria - very loud and cramped. We much preferred Alhambra for the "open" feel. Hats off to a few waiters who took care of us for breakfast and lunch - they were very attentive. Overall, line ups were ridulous and the food was so so. We never went hungry or got sick.
I found it very odd that staff was entering our room at all hours of the day. Sometimes at 9:30 at night to offer "shampoo" even after turn down service had already been done, very strange. And they didnt give you notice - one quick knock and they were in, no announcement. I understand that they have a job to do but the amount of times they entered our room was a little on the excessive side. We always used our room safe. Had heard of other guests walking in on staff rummaging through their things.
This destination is average. I would not return to the property. A vacation experience is truly what you make of it. There was potential for this place to be much better but unfortunately it left a bad taste in my mouth.
In addittion, we were NEVER approached by a time share person once!

Room Tip: Building 16 was great for ocean and pool views
3  Thank MommaNeedsATan

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your past stay with us.
We regret that our hotel did not exceeded your expectations.
Thank you also for your positive comments:)
In a resort there are always Pros and Cons and with the help of the feedback of our guests we are always improving our resort.
If you ever reconsider to visit our resort we are at your service anytime:)
Thank you again for sharing your opinion and for your stay amigos!!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Firstly the 15 minute drive from the airport was enough of a reason to take a serious look at this resort itself. I figure it gave us an extra half day on the beach compared to something a bit further from Cancun. Also if you are flexible consider flying in and leaving midweek. Last year we flew in on a Friday and were in the airport for nearly 4 hours, this year we flew in Tuesday and were in and out and through security, waiting for the bus, beer in hand in less than an hour

We arrived with a party of 24 for a wedding to take place on the resort. Check-in was seamless and quick. I was in my room within 15 minutes. Me only complaint about my room was that we were in building 19 which is the least central building on the resort, so needless to say we did a tonne of walking, bring baby powder just in case.

The food at the resort was great. We had some exceptional meals at the a la carte restaurants, and we never had any poor meals. I don't think they keep track of a la carte visits as we enjoyed it 5 of our 7 nights, and we didnt even try to get a reservation our first 2 nights. The buffet is obviously what you make of it. Fresh cooked steak, fish, chicken, burgers, sausage and hot dogs available with every lunch service, cooked right in front of you. Fresh pasta bar served with every lunch and supper service in the buffet's. Not as big of a selection as I have seen at Mexican resorts, but it was also a lot smaller resort so I'm sure that played a part in that.

The pool was pretty cold on the cooler days, but was very refreshing on the nice days. The staff at the swim up bar were great, very friendly. Although there was a server walking around from time to time at the pool we didnt see him often. Although I'm sure a tip would change that. Not many people layed around waiting for a server however, most were in the pool and would just go to the bar so there wasnt much need for a server.

The fun club did a "lazy game" the one day where we had to guess how full the hotel was and the winner got a prize. It was so quiet I guessed 65%, the winner guessed 91% and it turned out it was 92% full. So if you're looking for a quiet holiday this is the place to go. Nowhere we went seemed busy. You could find a chair wherever you wanted to sit.

The beach was unbelievable. But if you want to swim, while facing the ocean go to the far south side. The central and north side are fairly rocky and sharp. The ocean was exceptionally warm, probably 6-8 degrees warmer than the pool. There is also a beach bar on the far south end of the beach. It along with the lobby bar and disco which is even farther south are the only ones open late. The bartender Roberto at the beach bar every evening is worth every cent of your trip. I like to see different resorts instead of going to the same one every time. But if I go back to El Cid he will be a big reason I go back. Everybody loved him and he drew the biggest crowds every night, even if it was just to stop by for a cerveza and to say hello to Roberto.

The rest of the staff at the resort was very friendly and helpful. Some people say on here that they were rude. We were a group of 24 and met a group of 40 and never heard a single complaint about a worker. The maids were in our rooms 3-4 times aday, to tidy up and restock towels. Every afternoon between sundown and supper I would go for a siesta, and every evening when I crawled back into bed the bed had been remade with a treat set on my bed. If you are a beer drinker and will be dissapointed if youre fridge isnt restocked with beer everyday just put the tip in the fridge and they will restock it too.

I regrettably didnt have my children there but all I heard from the people who did was how great of a time the kids had. They have xbox on a big screen every night, the shows were very entertaining, and the kids clubs were great. Definitely a family oriented resort.

Overall it was an unforgettable trip. If you are looking to party your face off this isnt the resort for you unless you are bringing the party with you. We managed to stay up until 4 or 5 every morning but we had a group of 24 people so finding people to hang out with was easy.

Room Tip: buildings 18 and 19 are the least central
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jesse R

Dear friends:
We are so glad that you and all your group had an awesome stay in our resort.
Thank you also for recognizing Roberto our bar tender for his nice attitude and service, he is a great person and very professional:)
We would love to see you all back in a near future amigos and thank you again for your preference and for sharing your delightful review with the world.
Hasta la vista amigos!!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just returned from 8 day stay at Marina El Cid. We were with 3 children ages 4, 12, 14 (almost 15). We had the one bedroom suite. This was actually 2 rooms, it had 2 bathrooms 2 TVs a pull out from wall bed, and a king size bed and a couch and kitchenette with eating table. It was very comfortable size for our family. The beds were firm but comfortable. This resort was clean. The grounds were very well maintained. The staff was very friendly. The kids club was fabulous for my 4 year old. At first he didnt want to go, but after he saw they had a wii he was in. They had many activities for the children, making crafts and games at the pool and on the beach there is also a small playground for the kids. The women in charge were very enthusiastic, and all spoke English and were very kind. we would only leave my son there for a half hour or an hour at a time, but some kids stayed all day, if they could swim or had their own floats and the kids clubstaff would take them to meals. It was nice for my husband and I to have a little break from the 4 year old. For my older girls, the Teen club advisors, would come around and round up the kids for beach volley ball or water games, darts, spanish lessons, bracelet making, etc. They were very enthusiastic and fun for the kids.
Caution Mosquitos come out at sunset. stay inside for the first hour if you dont want to be eaten. And Never walk on the grass. they live there and will eat you alive. I had to buy Preperation H at the gift shop because it was the only thing I was sure would stop itch and shrink swelling.
We ate at 3 of the restaurants. We liked the buffet in the lobby the best. I liked the restaurant by the pool for lunch as it was convienent. There are 2 restaurants in the lobby; the buffet, and one that is only open for dinner, which you need a reservation for. We ate there once, the food was good, but for our family it was a little nervracking in its formality. The restaruant by the pool is a buffet for Breakfast and lunch, however, dinner it is menu and you need a reservation. We went there for dinner once. I dont know what was going on, but our waiter was very absent that night. I went and got my family a pitcher of water for refills myself, my husband took our son over to the kids club and came back before the waiter made another appearance. So for us the buffet in the lobby were the best. They are very organized. You do have to wait for the hostess to show you to a table first. ( our first morning we made the mistake of seating ourselves, there isnt a sign that says please wait to be seated, throughout our stay we saw other americans make this mistake as well)
The food was good. I especially liked the guacamole and salsa. my kids liked the waffles at breakfast, and we all loved the crepes with vanilla ice cream and carmel syrup and nuts. Wow!

We brought our own towels from home and also used the hotel towels. They give you a towel card for each person in your party to get a towel at the pool. If you lose the towel or card it is a $40 charge. The towels were nice because they were large, and warm. We didnt lose them.
The resort also tries to have activities incase swiming in the pool or laying on the beach isnt enough for you. My husband and oldest daughter did the bike tour to Puerto Morelos. They liked it a lot. The town is not that far away. (Many locals offered to take them snorkeling for much cheaper than the resort price). On the beach you can go kyaking no charge, or a small wind sailing boat no charge. they also have some beach games to check out and toys. My 4 year old love ping pong. they had 2 tables by the pool. If you lose the equipment a $1 charge for replacement. Also we played tennis on the roof. Ask for the racquets and balls at the front desk. $5 charge for lost balls. Since we were not serious players this was fine, but the fences are not really high enough; once my husband climbed on top of the staircase entrance to retrieve our ball, and found 3 other balls.
The pool was very fun for everyone. My oldest loved jumping off the rocks into the splash pool. Caution it is not a heated pool, so on over cast days it is chilly, on Sunny days very refreshing. The ocean is always warmer. They also had a giant chess set by the pool which was also very popular with my son. This was a wonderful vacation.
The negatives that we experianced were few. I think we must have had a different maid some of the time. Most days very good service. one day she took all the hand towels and bathmats and did not replace them, so we had to call and ask for them.
We did go to the membership presentation. We were going to avoid this, but we were offered a discount to a trip to CHichen Itza which we did want to see. It was intense, but we did say no. If you are interested in this type of thing, I would suggest you review your budget before going, so you can make a good decision if this is right for you. T
he trip to Chichen Itza was a mixed bag. We thought it was a 2 hour drive. A little long, but we thought our 4 year old could make it. It turned into a 4 hour drive as we stopped to change buses, pick up passengers, stop and see an underground lake, stop at a tourist trap to sell souvenirs and eat lunch; Drinks not included. (my husband paid $13 for 5 bottles of water with the Walmart member mark on them) before we finally got to Chichen Itza.
It really was amazing and our guide Jose was fantastic. I would have loved to stay there longer. We had about 2 hours there;1hour with the guide and 1 by ourselves to explore. then another 4 hours back with a stop in a town I could care less about and droping people back off. We had been at our lobby at 7am for pick-up ( the bus was late) and we got back to our hotel around 945pm. luckily the buffet let us in (they close at 930) as we were starving. So if you go to a tour Ask lots of questions about travel time. On the map it is less than 2 hrs away if you go direct.
The spa looked neat but more than I was willing to pay. Members get reduced rates. They do offer free 5 min massages around the hotel I did have that done once and it was very nice
At checkout we had a small mix-up. We had the bell boy come to the room and pick up the luggage and take it to the lobby for us. He gave us a claim ticket. When we checked out at the front desk they gave me another little ticket and told me to give it to the bell boy when we leave. So when I went out side I gave both tickets to the men at the bell boy counter. They went and got our luggage. When the taxi came and we were getting in they asked for the other ticket. I told them I already gave them the ticket. It was very confusing but finally they let us leave. Over all a fun time.

4  Thank WattFamily5
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your familiy enjoyed our resort and our services and facilities.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor and for recommending us, we will work in your suggestions right away:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your family in another opportunity and thank you again for your review and for trusting on El Cid.
Muchos saludos familia!

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Hotel lobby was nice. Rooms were excellent. The waiters were great, too. Pool was a bit dirty. Waterslide was bouncy. Cliff dive was awesome!!!! The entertainment staff Danny, Victor, Carlos, & all the others had fun games going every hour or so. They gave out prizes to people who won some of the contests. The nightly entertainment was great. The best shows were the Fire Show, Circus Show, & the Magic Show.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Powers12

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your stay with us.
We are so happy that you and your family spent a terrific holiday in our resort. Thank you also for sharing your comments with us and for commending our hotel staff for their nice service and attitude:)
We look forward to host you and your family again in a near future in our resort:)
Warm regards familia and thank you again!!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We traveled with 12 family members which included 5 children, ages 1, 3, 5, 8, and 10. The resort is beautiful with a great zero-entry pool for the very young children, the cliff jump and slide for older children. Very nice beach area and we took advantage of reserving a palapa a couple of days.

One of the biggest reasons we booked this hotel was the rooms - condo-like rooms available for the two families that had children. We booked a 2-bedroom suite for my son and daughter-in-law and their 3 children and a 1-bedrrom suite for my daughter, her husband and their 2 children. We were all in building 15 and the two suites were on the ground floor. This worked good for the days we got all of the children to lay down for a nap as the adults stayed on the beach immediately outside of the room with a monitor which we had brought with.

We took advantage of the hobie cat and also some of the activities around the pool. My bachelor 30-year-old son spent a lot of time at the beach bar manned by Roberto the bartender in the evenings. We attended two of the shows - some game-type show at the convention center the second night and the magic show on our last night. The magic show was pretty good - very funny. We also went to karoake night on the beach on Saturday night - lots of fun.

Make reservations at the sit-down restaurants early in your stay - hard to get in prior to 8 p.m. and we were platinum. Had the best meal at the mexican restaurant ever - shrimp with beef burrito appetizers. LaMarina, the seafood restaurant, was also very good - I had the salmon, son had the tuna (Ahi), etc. Never got to the Mediteranean restaurant. The buffets were very good - kids really liked the ice cream. Staff gave amazing service in the restaurants - didn't seem to mind the kids but worked around them well. Talked a bit with Gama, server at the pool buffet, very hard worker and nice guy. Great drink service at the pool from Carlos - kept the drinks coming and always with a smile.

Had some problems with the room keys - particularly the keys to the doors on the two-bedroom suite. Towel cards are a bit of a nuisance - I would suggest bringing a couple of beach towels with you; came in really handy for us. Room service was undependable - sometimes came right away and sometimes had to call again after an hour of waiting. Would like to have an outdoor dining option - all dining was inside and couldn't take food out.

Very rocky in the middle and off to the north side of beach; the south side was clear and sandy. We did a little snorkeling right off the beach - not too bad. Nothing like the snorkeling cruise we went on but still fun.

This is a great resort if you are traveling with children. Not so much if you are just adults. Not much nightlife and only bar outside open later was the beach bar - a little out of the way.

We were somewhat confused on the "free" internet access with platinum club. There are computers inside the platinum club but there is no free wireless for phones/laptops/ipads.

Room Tip: Buildings 15 or 16 were right on the beach and somewhat centrally located. Higher floors gave bette...
2  Thank plncpa

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and all your family members had a happy stay with us.
Thank you also for sharing your comments and for recognizing our restaurant staff for their hard work and always with a smile:)
We would love to serve you all again in another opportunity and thank you again for selecting our resort.
kind regards familia!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We have been to multiple all-inclusive resorts and while this one stands out as far as food is concerned, cleanliness, and services, it lacks in many other aspects. The staff was hands down, the most unfriendly we have ever encountered. I felt as if we were putting them out if we asked for towels or a drink. There were no waiters walking around at the pool bar or even in the lobby. I was very disappointed. Another thing I did not like was the room - I was with two 18 year old boys and the room we were assigned was something else. The "doors" on the shower and to the toilet were frosted, did not lock and there was a 2-inch gap all around. It was easy to see outlines in the shower and toilet. I had to have the boys leave when I was taking a shower. I loved the pool and the grounds but unfortunately I will never return.

1  Thank MomofTwo18

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your review and for your past stay with us.
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies if you did not enjoyed some of our services.
We know there is always improvement areas in a resort and we share all the reviews of this site with our staff.
It calls my attention that you commented that our staff was not kind and helpful, we could have opportunity areas but the service of our staff is always recognized as you can read in mostly of the reviews.
We are at your service anytime and thank you again for your feedback and for your stay with us.
Best regards!