“Love the Elcid!”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 13, 2012

THis was my frouth trip to Cancun/Puerto Morales with my sisters (YAYA!) We have stayed at several places - the NOw Jade, THe RUi Cancun, and hte Azul Sensotori. THis was by far our favorite. First of all, we had a 2 bedroom suite, which was great for us - it can be such a hassle funding hotels with adjoining room - we may have preferred an upper floor but our patios (one iwth jacuzzi!) looked right at the beach and was VERY convenient to the pools, the beach and the bar by the adult jacuzzi/spa area. The people were great the staff at meals were funa nd accomodating - Vincente, Didier, bartenders Angel and others I wish I remembered the names of were TERRIFIC! Angel inthe Platinum club checked us in easily and we were all coming form different pplaces arriving at different times and it was hasslefree.

THe towel thing was no big deal, the drinks were great - jsut ask what you want and all the bars had dark rum, good gin (beefeater and tanguray) and absolut vodka so jsut specify and you are good. My sister lovd the high end tequillas in the platinum lounge - we would always do the Platinum service - nice to go in and be able to get whatever drink you want and a snack.

ALso, most resorts have house white wine that is undrinkable - the red is boarderline drinkable. Well, at this resort the white was not the best of course but it was drinkable. I think they had a better blend in the platinum club. the red was also better than most. The wine list that you can buy from is fullof wines we pay 7 or 8 buck for in the US and they are 30 to 50 on the lsit - typical but not much better than the house - at least the ones I noticed.

Teh food was good - at All inclusives my expectations are always low - the buffet was good fro breakfast and luch especially - the fish they prepared each day was delicious! The restuartn were OK - the marina was my LEAST fav. The mediteranean was OK - they have a fun special coffee drink that was delicious! THe MExican restruant was also OK - the sauces were delicisou but the meat was dry (I had pork) THe rooms were FANTASTIC and again, the staff wlecoming, fun and accomodating. the evening entertainment was OK - the Karoke was most fun and band in lobby was fun to dance to. The disco doesn't start until 11 so we never quite made it tot hat so I can't comment. I wopuld definitley be back!

Room Tip: If you ahve a need for two rooms, the 2 bedroom suite, shich is not heavily advertised has 2 bedroom...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank YaYa4_VA
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your friends spent a nice vacation in our resort and that you would love to come back in a near future.
Thank you also for sharing your review with us and for complimenting our staff for their warm and nice service:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your friends in another occasion and thank you again for sharing your review and for your preference.
Hasta pronto amigos!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hotel was beautiful. We booked a 1 Bedroom suite, which had 2 full bathrooms and 2 balconies. Very helpful with the kids while they were waiting until my husband and I were ready to get out and about. Platinum Club staff was extremely helpful and courteous. Seemed they were always there when we were looking for something. We booked the Dolphin excursion and then went to El Garrafon. Worth every moment. We went snorkeling, zip-lined, swam with dolphins. Took a couple trips into town, Puerto Morelos. Stumbled upon a fantastic restaurant, John Gray's Kitchen.... we went there twice actually it was so great. Can't wait for our next trip to Mexico!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Lisa C

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice vacation with us and enjoyed all the natural wonders that surround Puerto Morelos.
We hope to serve you all in another opportunity and thank you again for your past stay and for sharing your review on tripadvisor.com
Warm regards from el Cid amigos!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This review is way overdue-
This was our second trip to the Marina El Cid. My wife and I took six family members- all married, with us last March- We had four rooms in different buildings but they all had great ocean/pool view. The food & drinks were great and their staff is outstanding.
We enjoyed the bike tour with Victor to Puerto Morelos, snorkeling at the reef, relaxing around the pool and going for long walks on the beach.
I have booked our room for March 2-9, 2013 . This time it's just my wife and I going, we are looking forward to our vacation at this great resort.
Cheers from Alexandria, Minnesota

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brad W

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your awesome review and for your stay with us last March.
We are so glad that your family and your friends spent a nice vacation in our resort and that your are coming back next year again:)
We are at your service anytime if you need any help with your future reservations.
Thank you again for your preference and for your nice comments.
See you next year familia!!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at El Cid Puerto Morelos from November 6th – November 11th, 2012. *Be careful of reviews written by people with 1-2 reviews. These are typically staff members.

We arraigned private transport through USA transport from the airport to the hotel. Round trip cost was $69 + I tipped $5 each way. No issues, they were easy to find as we exited the airport and stopped at a store on our way so I could buy a few things. They e-mail you a pick up time when you book and the driver will also go over that time on the way from the airport. Our flight left Cancun at 11:45, the driver was at our hotel waiting at 8:45.

We arrived at El Cid a little after noon and check in is not until 3 so we had to wait around the hotel for a few hours. Our stay included membership into the platinum club however this did not seem to give us much of an advantage checking in early or with a better room . We were told our room would be ready in an hour and it took almost 3. No big deal, grabbed lunch and a drink. Between checking in and being given our room key they tried to get us to sign up to take a time share type tour. They offered us ½ off a few things. Sounded like a rip off so I declined and just said I wanted to get checked in.

There are four restaurants. We ate at the Mexican restaurant on the first night and it was garbage and would never eat there again. I talked to a few people that said they ate there and loved it and the menu was different the night they went. The last night we went to the sea food restaurant which was good or as good as all inclusive dinning can be. The house (free) red wine was good.

The nights in between we left the resort.

Day 2 we went into Puerto Morelos and ate at Pelicanos which I have eaten at several times before. I recommend the fish fillet. Fantastic every time. A large fish fillet is around $12 and beer is cheep. *Pelicanos has an extreamly high trip advisor score.

Day 3 we ate dinner in Playa at Tarraya which is located off the main drag of 5th ave on second street on the ocean. If you turn on second street towards the ocean Tarraya is on the right (north) at the end of the block. Fantastic on all accounts and I highly recommend the fish fillet as well. We had the dinner for two which is a little bit of everything and I can’t express in words how good it was. The dinner for two was around $35 and beer is $2 *Tarraya also has an extreamly high trip advisor score.

Back to El Cid…
Overall the resort is clean and well kept. There is a slight mold smell in the rooms however this is typical of all hotel rooms in Mexico from the worst to the best. The food is ok and exactly typical of most all inclusive in the area. We booked 10 days out and paid $1,000/person for 4 nights with air. For the cost, it was just fine. Although we ate out 2/4 nights I feel we still received a good deal. Personally, I would not return to El Cid mainly because there are so many other resorts that I would like to try. I would not discourage others from going. Just remember your in a third world country and nothing is ever as nice as you mentally envision it.

I did not bring kidds. I did however checkout the kids club and from the looks of it was mainly children from Mexico utilizing it. I would likely not bring my daughter to this resort until she is 8+ and she could be content by the pool or beach.

To get from El Cid to Puerto Morelos, we walked along the beach going north until we ran into a beach restaurant just before a gate and dock that will not allow you to go any further. We entered the beach bar, bought a beer and exited out the back to a road where we turned right. If you walk about another 5-10 min you will hit the main square whith shops, restaurants, bars, and my favorite restaurant Pelicanos. Total walk via beach: 20 min approx .80/mile or 1km

I did like the availability of the platinum club. The internet was not slow and we were able to make reservations day of with no issues. I was also able to stop in to get extra beer for our room. I recommend tipping often at El Cid. I typically gave $2 when I ordered a set of drinks at the start of the day and $5 at dinner/lunch. $5 to the guy that brought us to our room and $5/day to the maid. I would say the best tipping value was the $5 maid tip. Write down what you want with $5 and she will get you what you need. The guy that gets drinks at the beach is a 65+ year old guy with a bad hand. He busts his rear so I always gave him a tip. If I went to the pool bar myself to get a drink and it was early in the day I would give $2. If you like bloody mary’s tell them you don’t want them to add bitters. Not sure why they do.

I also recommend you bring your own coffee and standard filters. They have coffee machines in the room but their coffee is not good and rather weak. I would also bring a hand full of straws because for some reason they do not give you straws in your drinks by the pool and beach. Likely to keep the straws out of the book and ocean. Whatever, throw it away when you’re done. Also, they only will give you 1 towel per person no matter how good looking and wonderful a person you are.

If you would like to go to Playa / Cancun from El Cid via Taxi, it will cost you 400 pesos ($32) each way or $40 if you pay in USD. We walked to Puerto Morelos and took the city bus to the highway ($1) and it runs every 15 min. It drops you off at the main highway which is well lit and a lot of people. One side of the highway is a bus stop going to Playa (south) the other is a bus stop going to Cancun (north). The city bus or a city van will stop and tell them you are going to Playa or Cancun to make sure you are on the correct bus/van. The cost to get to town is $2. The bus will drop you off on 5th ave directly in the heart of Playa across from the Mc Donald’s. Below the Mc Donald’s is a bank with 2 atm’s outside. A great place to get pesos because the exchange rate is good being a bank and there is only a $3/atm fee.

If you take a van in from the highway you will need to walk about 3-4 blocks to the main 5th ave where all the shops are. Again, I highly recommend going to Tarraya which is located off the main drag of 5th ave on Second Street on the ocean. This will be the best fish you will ever have.
I recommend you leave the resort for at least one meal. The resort food is ok at best and you should really treat yourself to at least one fantastic meal.

In total we paid $1,050 per person for 4 nights with air. We booked 10 days out.

Room Tip: We were in room 18511 Which was a “pool view” however we had a great view of the ocean. If you are...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stillalarm
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that at the end you had a nice stay in our resort.
I have been complimenting tripadvisor reviews for four years and I would like to comment that all the reviews are genuine and verified by tripadvisor:)
We hope to serve you again in another opportunity in this your resort,we might be a resort in a third world country but our service is first class and always with a smile.
Warm regards from the sunny Puerto Morelos!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was pretty confident booking this hotel for our family's first vacation, but a little worried because the reviews seemed to be either 5 stars or 2. But, I can honestly say I was not disappointed. The hotel was nice, the room was clean, food was decent, and staff very friendly. I did not find the pool dirty and not one of us got sick once from the food. The beach was clean, I did see seaweed, but they did clean the beach, and I did not find it unreasonable. We did notice some large rocks in the sand as we walked out into the water. We brought water shoes, but didn't do too much ocean swimming so we never used them. Still a good idea to bring them though. The daily activities list was amazing! Something different all day everyday for kids and adults! Kids club was awesome for our 6 year old, hourly activities that change each day. Spa was amazing! I felt this was an awesome place for families, everyone was having a good time, but didn't have to worry about my son being around a bunch of belligerent drunk adults doing shots at the bar. Only negatives I could mention are the timeshare salespeople are a little overbearing. Had to turn down four different people before they would let us leave the presentation. Also, beds were hard. Only other thing that would top off this resort is if they offered free calls to U.S and/or free wifi. We would return to El Cid again.

Room Tip: Building 16 is right by the pool, yes the activities are loud, but we were never in the room in the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Miranda O
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family spent a nice vacation in our resort and that your first stay with us was a pleasant one.
Thank you also for sharing your review with us:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your family again in another opportunity and thank you again for your preference and for your nice comments.
Best wishes familia!

Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from a two week trip here , it was an amazing holiday from start to finish , they cannot do enough for you , you dont need to tip for service , it is automatic , nothing is too much trouble at all, the rooms were clean and large enough for us as a four , the food is fine always a good choice ,the weather was amazing , what more can i say , only that we cant wait to go back !!!! soon :))))

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank shelfHalifax
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that all of you spent a nice holiday with us and that you would love to come back in a near future:)
Best wishes to all!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a nice resort but I think the management needs to change the attitude to try to rip the gests off. They have agreement with local taxi drivers to let them charge $10 for 2 kilometers driving to the city. They ask $7 for national preserve entrance which is $2 only. They charge $3 to use a wash machine for one load and more...
The food is horrible, pool is dirty (I looked using goggles and was horrified, look at the image I uploaded) – we all had ear infection. Only positive was a great selection of alcoholic beverages served.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank USSlovak
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear guests:
We regret that our hotel did not exceeded your expectations.
I would like to mention that our hotel has not any arrangements with the taxi drivers or anyone else, we are a serious hotel and with honest staff and that is why after seven years of operation we still one of the favourites resorts in Puerto Morelos.
Our pool is cleaned and tested three times a day and due to the wind sometimes there can be some trash, but we add chlorine and all the required chemicals daily:)
We are at your service anytime if you would like to contact us and thank you again for your review.
Warm regards!

Ocean Riviera Paradise
#68 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!