“Not worth the money we spent!”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money we spent!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We have just arrived back from 2 weeks of staying in this hotel.
We booked this in May 2011 after getting married in Greece the year before, so this was our honeymoon and you can say we were very much looking forward to it.
First impressions were amazing but this soon changed after being hassled for what they said would be 90 mins of our time but was really 3 hours later 4 sales reps trying to talk us in to a timeshare.

We have stayed in all inclusive places before in Greece and Cuba and it was very different with regards to the dining arrangements. Normally you have a buffett which is open every evening for dinner and then you have your A la carte restaurants which you make reservations for...no not this hotel the buffett was only open fri-mon for what seemed to be for when the locals come for a weekend. There was only ever 2 options for dining of an evening and if you don't like seafood then I wouldn't recommend you stay here. Same food all the time. Although the alcazar restaurant was very nice and nice staff.

If you do stay here then I would recommend you take money with you and do not rely on the cash machin in the hotel and this didn't work after 1 week into our stay and although we and a few other couples reported it, it was still not working when we left. And doesn't work at all with debit cards...good job we took our credit card.

Rooms were nice but cleanliness wasn't at all. Our bed got changed once and that was the night before we left...very pointless!!! The maid seem to do what was the basic cleaning like changing towels etc and I think our room got swept twice in our stay.

We spent 12 days out of 14 by the beach as the pool was disgusting! Never once did I see it get cleaned.

Entertainment on a night was very boring, we were back in our room by 9pm every night as there was not much happening at all apart from the same singer in the lobby every night.

Maintenance work started on our block whilst we was there. Just as we went back to the room for a siesta you would hear banging and drilling etc. I understand maintenance work has to be done but surely do it one block at a time, so it doesn't ruin people's stay.

On a good note the concierge Maureen is lovely and would do anything to help!

This has put us off Mexico. We will NOT be returning and I wouldn't give this the 5 star rating it has.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lynsey L
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your stay with us.
We sincerely regret that your experience with us was not as you expected,thank you also for your positive comments.
Regarding to our pool, every night at 10 PM we clean our pool and we add the chemicals required to ensure the hygiene of our pool.
Regarding to the other issues we will discuss them with the involved departaments to improve immediatly.
We apologize again if our resort did not fulfilled your expectations but I assure you that if you ever reconsider to visit our resort again you will experience our improvements.
Thank you again for sharing your comments with us.
Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,833)
High Point
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I traveled to El Cid Marina at Puerto Morelos, located about 30 minutes south of Cancun..after my first week at the El Cid Marina in Mazatlan...I was sort of Apprehensive going to this Resort, cause of the ALL INCLUSIVE...I am a member at the El Cid Resorts, and the others are optional..But, I was overally Impressed..The food was Absolutely Fantastic, the Buffet's changed every night, and have two other Specialty Resturants if you do not like Buffet's...There are NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES, for anything on the menu's..and, the Bar, in the middle of the lobby, OUTSTANDING...You have to Cut Yourself Off from drinking...anything you want, bottomless glass....LOL..Bar Tenders are Superb...I wish I had jotted down ALL the names of the Staff...All I can say is, EVERYONE DOES an outstanding performance in making your vacation a pleasure..I do want to ESPECIALLY THANK ''ANNA LUISA" One of the Concierce for helping me with ALL MY NEEDS at the resort...I can't say enough for ALL...Even though, the resort is all inclusive, you must at least go to the town of Puerto Morelos, which is only a mile from the resort..And Eat at THE PELICAN RESTURANT, order the WHOLE FRIED FISH..( it is not battered, like in the U.S. ) Delicious...it will hang over the large platter...yummm.

Room Tip: I think ALL ARE GOOD, of course the ones on the front, are closer to the Ocean, but, for me, made no...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank elgatoNorthCarolina
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear friend:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for visiting our resort.
We are so glad that you had a great vacation with us and that you are already part of El Cid family.
Thank you also for all your nice comments and for complimentig our hotel staff:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in a near future and thank you so much for sharing your review and for your trust in El Cid.
Hasta la vista,best wishes!!!
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We found this resort purely by accident the first time on Bookit (Jan 09). I asked the rep to compare it to blue bay which was the same price at the time. He said its like comparing a Mercedes (El Cid) to a Chevy ( Blue Bay). To be fair, I have never been to Blue Bay but partially because we love El Cid so much! The best way I can explain it is that you can get cheaper and you can get nicer but not both. This will be our 6th time in Puerto Morelos/Cancun. We are not partiers so we prefer being away from the spring break crowd. We got married there last year (July '11). The photographer although expensive is amazing! Trash the dress is a must ladies!! (This is the husband speaking)

I circled that we traveled in Oct 11 because it only goes back 1 year

You must snorkel on the reef, we have done it twice. We have never been without platinum club. We had it free the first time and kinda the second time. ( the honeymoon suite has platinum club when available when booked on Expedia). We said we would not pay for it but really loved it as a free upgrade but as I am typing this my wife is seeing what it would cost to upgrade to it. (we are Expedia Elite Plus members and it says you get upgraded free to next available class if available)

My wife is not crazy about the desserts. Food is good, would not say great. Can not complain about service. Every issue we ever had that I can think of was taken care of the same day or overnight. ( Our honeymoon suite was not available the night we got there but they gave us free massages, facials, and pedicures for our inconvenience) The room we got switched from was a top floor with an amazing view. The room we got switched to ( honeymoon suite we paid for) had a jacuzzi in the room but otherwise same room with not as nice an ocean view (Junior Suite) Had we looked at room first we would have kept lower class room just for the view!!

My question is to any Expedia Elite plus members have you been upgraded or not? We currently have Junior suite w/o platinum... what can we expect to get upgraded to if anything???

Have no idea if there was a shuttle when we went in 09 but our guests in '11 found one that takes you to town. If it wasn't free it was $1.00 USD We never rode it ourselves. We have pics but I am being lazy. My wife may add them later.

My wife hates the lizards. They were there before us. Not in our room but on property.

Room Tip: 19509 was the one with the amazing view its a junior suite top floor. But its kinda far from eve...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jneen05
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for great review and for your past visits to our resort.
We are so glad that you and your wife enjoyed our services and our resort and that you are coming back next month once again to El Cid.
Thank you also for recommending our resort on this site and for your complete review:)
We will see you soon and if you need anything during your future stay do not hesitate to contact me anytime.
Hasta pronto amigos!!
Nova Scotia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We've visited this amazing resort twice already and have our third stay booked for this November (it's the only place we've stayed at more than once, and we travel at least once a year). After visiting somewhere else last year (and spending the entire trip comparing it to El Cid), we are counting down the days till we get there again. On that theme, and since Trip Advisor won't let me comment on other people's reviews directly, I would just like to talk about a couple of things I've seen pop-up in the reviews here lately.

Airport Transport - this service is not offered by this resort (though it may be provided by the company you book your vacation with), and as such the quality of airport transportation should not have any place in your review of this resort. It is a smaller resort, with not many guests arriving on the same flights, and I imagine it would not be cost-effective for them to offer this sort of service, driving back and forth constantly to and from the airport to pick up small groups of guests. There are transport companies you can arrange with ahead of time, or you can hire a taxi (one of the 'shysters' mentioned by a previous reviewer) to take you to the resport. As with any other airport I've been to, hiring a taxi at an airport is more expensive than a similar trip would be from a different location, so we usually arrange our transport ahead of time.

Towels - Yes, there is a charge if you lose your towels... large beach towels are expensive to replace. Every resort that I have stayed at has a similar deposit system in place for these, this isn't something that this resort alone does to rip people off, it's something that most (if not all) resorts do to try to keep people from stealing and/or losing towels. Basically, keep track of your towel (i.e. don't leave it on a lounge chair to save your seat while you're at breakfast) and you won't have a problem. If it's an issue, bring your own towel.

Internet Access - it's not free unless you upgraded to Platinum for your stay (which we always do). This is all spelled out in the amenties when you book your stay and shouldn't come as a shock. It doesn't require a timeshare membership to have access to the Platinum Club lounge (VIP room), but upgrading your stay does have many perks (one of which is free internet access... another of which is high end liquors). For us, it is worth it to pay extra for this service, but it is optional. Plus, it's so nice to have a seat while checking in, and having your first drink brought over while you're taking care of paperwork.

Time Share - unless something has changed in the two years since we've been there, these guys definitely take 'no' for an answer... a simple 'sorry, I'm not interested' and you will be left alone. There's no need to be rude about it, and I'm sure there are some perks involved with listening to them, but we've always asked to be crossed off their list as soon as we arrive (on our way to the platinum lounge to check in) and are left alone after that.

Closed Restaurants - during the off season, the resort isn't at capacity and some of the dining options are reduced. There were always signs posted the evenings to let you know which restaurants would be open the following day, and the menus are available at the concierge desk in the mornings to see what's for dinner before you decide on your reservations. These signs were easy to track down (actually, they were hard to miss) so there was never really a question of which restaurants were open each evening.

Now, for an actual review: The staff is amazing, always going above and beyond. The resort grounds are beautiful and well maintained, and everything is constantly being cleaned (the beach, the rooms, the windows, etc). Even though the resort is great for familes with kids (from what we've heard), adults travelling without kids are catered to as well - an adults-only 'quiet zone' by the beach with it's own mini pool and bar, reservation times where kids are not permitted, and staff generally seating adult groups separate from the families with kids at the buffets.

8 weeks from now you'll find me sitting around the adult pool, enjoying a margarita (or two or three), and soaking up the sun :) November can't get here soon enough!

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
11 Thank TribalJen
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your awesome review and for your second visit to our resort.
We are so glad that you and your friends spent a nice vacation with us.
Thank you also for all your nice comments and for your valuable tips for our future visitors:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you for third occasion on eight weeks and thank you again for your complete review and for your preference amigos.
Hasta pronto!!!!
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this resort for a week it was great. We loved it the staff was so pleasant and friendly all of our needs were meet. We will definitely be returning. The food was excellent so many choices. We had a couples massage there on the beach it was the best massage we had in awhile. The pool was gorgeous and huge. The whole atmosphere was relaxing.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Msdd911
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your perfect review and for your past stay in our resort.
We are so glad that you had a relaxed vacation with us.
Thank you also for recommending our resort and for all your nice comments:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for selecting El Cid.
Best regards amigos!
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is an incredible all inclusive hotel.
The quality of the food is extraordinary; I usually get stomachaches when I travel, but this time everything was so extremely well cooked with great ingredients, i just can't describe how good the food was.
The room was spacious, amazing! it can hold two beds! imagine! and it even has a kitchen, we never used it because of the all inclusive but it has its kitchen and that's always good to have even if plan to use it or not. Our room had ocean view and it was breath taking!
We sign up for the platinum club, which includes extra services (that I personally never used) and good quality beverages, such as Don Julio, 1800, Buchanan's, Black Label, etc. etc. etc.
The hotel pool was fabulous! besides being a huge pool, it has a amusement area!!! with diving area and a very fun slide!
There are also activities every day so you can play beach volleyball, water polo, water basket, aqua ball, ping pong, kayak, sailing, etc. very complete.
We also had the opportunity to witness a fire show and to release the Carey turtles to the sea!!!! that was... amazing!

Room Tip: You must go to the Great Barrier Reef and do some snorkel, it is absolutely amazing! If you decide n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dey M
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your awesome review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your friends had a great vacation in our resort.
Thank you also for recommending our resort and for your helpful advices to our future visitors:)
It will be a pleasure to serve all of you again in a near future and thank you so much for sharing your comments and for your preference.
Muchas gracias amigos y hasta pronto!!!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My family 6 adults 1 child stayed at El Cid April 2012 for 2 weeks. Beautiful hotel. The grounds were very well kept and clean(no trash). We stayed at the tail end of spring break so there were not a lot of smaller children which made for a relaxing trip.
The pool entertainment as well as the kids club were fantastic! Everyday it changed up.
The buffets were very good the typical menus for breakfast (order a smoothie in the one by the beach) At night they had different themes. All had good selection. There were 3 al a carte's. The one off the main lobby was by far the best. They would alternate the menu and you could make unlimited reservations here. Food was always good! The others Mexican and seafood nobody in our party really cared for. Both of these also had the worst service out of anywhere in the hotel.
The pool was very big and the cliff jump was a blast! The whole family tried it.
Beach was very nice with the best off beach snorkeling we have had out of 12 trips to Mexico.
We did not use our water shoes at all.
Poolside service was great! We were tipping about every second round as there were 7 of us. As soon as they opened in the morning they would bring us drinks, remembering what we all had the days before. this really impressed me.
Lobby service kicked butt! Chris was the server we always looked for and he kept our drinks and snacks full every night. Never have we had such great service(as we drink fast)
The down sides:
They do grab you as soon as you have checked in and tell you about amazing deals, this means waste hours of your time in a timeshare meeting to get these. Not worth it to save a few bucks. The lobby at night was super cold we ended up wearing hoodies with our dresses to stay warm. The entertainment in the lobby was pretty good but did get repeatative.
There were quite a few mosquitos this time of year. They were always spraying but I did get more than 30 the first night alone.(given the rest of the family had only a few) Please bring bug spray. Overall a really great place to stay. Out of all the places I have stayed in Mexico this is one of only a few I will be returning to. We loved it!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank lovemexico0220
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for excellent review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family spent a nice vacation in our resort and enjoyed all our services and facilities.
Thank you also for recommending our resort on this site:)
Thank you again for your nice comments and for selecting El Cid , we would be enchanted to serve you and your family again in a near future amigos.
Warm regards familia!!!!
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#79 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!