“Cancun all inclusive for families.”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Arlington, Virginia
“Cancun all inclusive for families.”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

3 negatives -

1. You cannot avoid their "upgrade" timeshare pitch. You have to dedicate an couple of hours and they simply won't take no for an answer. They even suggested we put our 11 years old in the Kid's club (geared for children much younger) so they can pitch us. When we finally said no, the lady practically cried and said they would penalize her. The "discounts" you get for snorkeling and the tours are NOT part of the Platinum Club. When we said no, we walked over to the tour office in the lobby and got a better deal.... First they offer you something that matches it, then you say, "do you have any promotions?" and they give you a better deal. It's a shame this resort made me feel like I was getting a timeshare pitch.

2. There are not enough chairs by the pool.... around the 2nd day, you realize you have to go out at 2am and out a towel down on a chair to reserve a spot. Not relaxing.

3. Not very vegetarian friendly. My fiance is a vegetarian and was pregnant. So unfortunately, she could not drink alcohol.....but her food was limited to spinach salads every night from the buffet.

Also... beware of the "kid's stay free" pitch. It's for children 5-under....so when we showed up with a 7 and 11 year old, we had to fork out some $$$. SNEAKILY, if we paid cash (that we're sure went in the receptionists pocket) we got a mega discount. So there goes all of our spending cash on day 1.

Aside from that, it's still Mexico and it's still fun....if you drink enough alcohol and don't look for things to complain about, it ends up ok.

Room Tip: They rig the A/C's to only go to a certain level. Be prepared to call over and over until they...
1 Thank Francis P
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed our resort excepting for the issues that you commented on your review.
I would like to comment that we already got more pool chairs and regarding to the other issue with the charge of your kid, I do not know how do you make your reservation and there is a lot of different promotions and every promotion has it´s own restrictions and policies:)
We hope to serve you again anytime and thank you again for your visit and for sharing your review on this site, we are at your service anytime.
Best wishes familia!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,798)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed here in September 2011, and it was wonderful. The food was good, and they had a good variety of food. Room service was always quick, and they did a nice job of re-stocking the water in the room each day. The pool was AWESOME! The beach was also very nice; it was not very large but was well-maintained. The staff were all very nice and did a good job. We had a lot of fun doing the water aerobics and other water activities they had throughout the day. The rooms were nice and clean. We felt very safe the whole time we were here. I do wish that they would have had a dance club. If you're looking for somewhere with clubs/bars, this is not the place for you. But if you're wanting a nice, relaxing, peaceful vacation this place is great! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank B H
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your friends spent a nice time in our place.
It would be so nice to serve you all again in another opportunity:)
Thank you again for choosing our resort and for sharing your review on tripadvisor.com
Hasta la vista amigos!!!!
texas
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I definitely recommend this resort. My son thoroughly enjoyed the cliff jump and slide. The beach and pool were beautiful. We did book one of the reservation-only restaurants one night, but ultimately enjoyed the buffets just as much. (One evening they offered a delicious seafood salad with fresh lobster.) The spa was fabulous.The only drawback is the rocky bottom in the water, but, all in all, a terrific vacation.

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us and that our resort became already one of your favorites:)
We will gladly share your nice review with our staff.
Thank you again for choosing our resort amigos and for sharing your review on tripadvisor.com
See you soon familia!
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This resort has amazing landscaping and grounds.
Food was excellent and waiter service was great.
Room service /Food service was wonderful Huge thanks to Ezequiel.
The only thing we did not like was that our room was not ready when we checked in at 6:00pm so they let us stay in a suite for one night until the next morning our jr suite would be available, it was frustrating just moving room to room. But other than that, I would recommend this resorts for families not party people.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that your stay with us was nice excepting for the incident with the check in, I will make sure to check this with our front desk manager to see what happened.
Thank you also for your nice comments and for recommending our resort for families.
We hope to serve you again in another opportunity amigos and please accept our apologies again for the detail with the check in.
Muchas gracias amigos, esta es su casa!!!
Hamburg, New York
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I traveled with my husband and 2 kids ages 3 and 13 months and we had a blast! The resort is beautiful and clean! The cliff jump and slide we so much fun! My kids loved the slide in the kiddie pool(my 3yr old loved the big slide as well). We never had trouble getting lounges at the beach or pool.The pool water was so warm! It felt amazing! The food was great, we never had a bad meal.The waitors Gasper and Felipe are the best!! Wonderful people, they made you feel like royalty! The front desk was very nice to us. We did not upgrade and the timeshare people were not pushy. We didn't leave our kids at the kids club but we did go and do some of the activities there. It was a lot of fun and the girls running it were great. My son loved making the clay animals. The only thing I wish we had was a bathtub in our room to bathe the kids, but they got use to coming in the shower with me. One other thing the birds stole my daughter binkies. we went through 4 of them and ran out the last day! So hide them well when not using them. We had a great time and I would love to go back!

3 Thank Tammy S
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your perfect review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a great holiday with us and would like to come back to our resort in a near future:)
I will gladly share your kind comments with our hotel staff and also will comment your suggestion with our executive team.
We hope to see you soon familia in our resort and thank you again for your visit and for sharing your experience on this site.
Best wishes to all!
Greenville, SC
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My wife and myself are very discriminating travelers and really do expect to be well taken care of when we book a trip. We were at the Marina El Cid from Wednesday May 14 through Monday May 14th. We fell in love with the Marina El Cid and they could not do enough to please us and to pamper us. It truly was a great experience and we would return again. I cannot begin to say enough for the cleaniness of this resort. They are always cleaning up something and it was beautiful. The food in the restaurants was fantastic. They have three restaurants that you can make reservations at and they do a great job with their food. There were two buffets that had excellent food. The maid service was twice a day and a couple of the nights our bed were turned down waiting for us. We did not do the Platinum Club and really did not need it. The swimming pool was the largest that I have seen at any resort and was not that crowded even on Saturday and Sunday that we were there. We did not have to get up early as some has suggested in their reviews. The nightly entertainment was very good and entertaining. It was probably the best that we have had in the 12 years of doing the all inclusive resorts. I cannot say enough good things about this resort and I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a good time and at a reasonable price. Cheap Carribean.com was excellent in their service of our vacation and Olympus Tours our transportation to the resort and back to airport at the end was very good and punctual. There are so many that I could mention individually but have been thinking about it and really the whole staff should be complimented for such a good job. We took one tour and that was to the Chechnezen Mayan ruins with Cancun Passion tours. The whole crew that we were with were tremendous and knew what they were talking about with respect to the ruins. The only thing that we did not care about was the people who try to get you to listen to their time share as soon as you get through customs at the airport. Walk past them and do not even give them the time of day and you will be alright. However, saying that we had a wonderful time and will return again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank clynchGreenvilleSC
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your wife had a nice holiday with us and thank you also for planning already your second visit to El Cid.
We will share your great review with all our staff amigos:)
Thank you again for your review and for your visit.
Esta es su casa amigos:)
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We went down for my cousins wedding and it is a beautiful location. The service at the on-site restaraunts and bars was excellent. I don't think I would have done something like this if it hadn't been for the wedding but I'm hooked. This was just like a cruise without the rocking boat and small rooms. Speaking of rooms, they are spacious, clean, and had a beautiful view of the ocean.

Room Tip: The hotel spa was very expensive (double what I'd pay at home in the states.) We found several s...
2 Thank richdodge
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a happy stay in our resort and that you also enyoyed your cousin´s wedding.
We always share this comments with our hotel staff because the feedback from our visitors is the best tool that we have to improve our place.
Thank you again for choosing our resort and for sharing your review with us.
We hope to see you soon familia!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#21 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!