“Just Beautiful Perfect Vacation!”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Long Island,New York
“Just Beautiful Perfect Vacation!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

What a clean beautiful Resort. Went with my immediate family (hubby,kids 19,15 and 10 years of age) and spent 6 nights. The food was delicious plenty of choices and juices. Great Drinks, tiki huts on beach for shade. They had a seperate area for children and activities for young and old. We saw an amazing fire show after dinner.The pool area was an adventure, just fun and it was convenient to just swim up and get your drink in the pool.You have to book dinner at certain restaurants in advance and we saved the best one for last and they had a wedding the last night we were staying. So, ask questions about when certain restaurants are available.
We got an ocean view suite which was beyond fabulous!!!! The balcony was huge and over looked the ocean. The kitchen was nice with a well stocked fridge the views were just amazing from our living/dining area. Master suite was so luxurious with a huge bathroom. All together we had 2 1/2 bath rooms. It was more than we expected. Very relaxing vacation. Not much of a night life if you are looking for dancing but we were so tired from excursions and fun in the sun all day.
All I kept thinking was what a great trip for a family/friends reunion!! Because they have a seperate area for adults only this resort is a great choice for couples too. Well laid out property.

Room Tip: Go for the oceanview you will not regret it!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,798)
monroe
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Our first all inclusive family vacation was very disappointing. We arrived at the hotel 30 minutes prior to check out and were not permitted to enter the room on minute earlier. At the front desk we were informed that if we wanted the room that we had already paid dearly for, we had to pay an additional $260.00USD. The bed was so lumpy and hard we had a back ache for most of the trip, pillows were well over used, and the ocean view that we paid for twice was a joke. Also, the private jacuzzi we paid for was unusable!!!! It was full of bugs and looked dirty! We called the front desk and asked that it be cleaned, so the next day when we came back to the room someone filled it with water and left it!!! It looked so used and stained, there was no way any of my family members were going to sit in it! The man and young woman at the front desk were very rude most of our stay. The person that was designated to sell us a time share was equally rude and dishonest after he found out that we had no intrest in buying excursion packages or time share from him. The beach was terribly rocky if you attempted to go out past mid calf level. The bell men, housekeepers, kitchen staff, housekeeping staff, and bartenders were some of the nicest and hard working people I have ever met. I will not go back to this resort. This resort needs to go in and clean house, get rid of most of the staff at the front desk and get rid of all of their nasty sales people across from the front desk. I am telling everyone I know not to waste their money at this place!
Christy from WI

Room Tip: I don't know how to answer this question honestly due my personal experience with this resort.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank christy g
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your preference.
We are sorry that your were not fully satisfied with our resort and our services.
We also regret that you were not happy with the level of service that we provide and that you won´t recommend our resort to others.
There is always a manager on site in case that our guests like to express any issue while their stay with us.
We are at your service anytime amigos and feel free to contact us anytime.
Thank you again for your stay and for sharing your feedback with us!
Eugene, OR
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our family of three, including a 7 year, booked this vacation through costcotravel.com. We loved every minute of our trip, and wouldn't have changed a thing (ok fine, our butler had his own issues). The platinum club is awesome, the honeymoon suite is awesome, the view from our room was awesome...I think you get the idea!

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite has a Jacuzzi and includes platinum club.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a perfect stay in our resort.
Thank you for so many good comments and for recommending our resort.
It will be a pleasure to serve you all again in a near future amigos:)
On behalf of our staff I thank you once again for choosing El Cid.
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My family of four (and two other families) spent 6 days at El Cid Marina. It was a great trip. The staff was very accommodating whether it was housekeeping, pool, activity or restaurant staff. We had children between all the families from ages 8 thru 14. We felt very comfortable having the children roam freely through out the resort. If they wanted to visit the beach and we were at the pool it was an easy, safe walk for them. We enjoyed the activities around the resort. Our girls painted pottery (extra cost). The pool staff was great in involving everyone in the activities at the pool and beach, yet if you didn't want to that was fine also. We used the kayaks a few times. There were boogie boards to borrow and Hobie cats. For an extra cost a group of us went snorkeling which they loved. There are plenty of excursions offered at the hotel as well.

Every night there are shows or activities and they were really fun. I loved the Mexican night where they brought in shopping (but I do think the prices were higher then when we went in to the town of Puetro Morelos).

We ate at all the restaurants. I liked the restaurant in the lobby the best as far as reservations go, but I think the buffet (which changes nightly - themed) was good as well. Mostly all of the food we ate was good.
We had the jr. suite with the Murphy bed. It was perfect for our family (a king for mom and dad and queen for the kids). The room was well maintained. I read a review to bring clothes pins to hang bathing suits on the deck, which I did and recommend the same. the breeze is great but string at times (at least facing the ocean).

Room Tip: Platinum is the way to go, but only if you make sure to get all the details upfront of what is inclu...
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Vacationed with spouse and 3 kids. Upgraded to 1BR suite before arrival to ensure enough space, platinum was the only choice offered but guaranteed ocean front room. I have a feeling we paid more than others for the upgrade based on other TA reviews since we arranged before our arrival, but I was worried if I waited until we arrived to upgrade that it wouldn't be available due to Spring Break crowd. I would say platinum not likely worth the cost during less busy time, but we were able to reserve palapas on beach and make week worth of dinner reservations with one phone call. However, had to call concierge each morning shortly after 7am to reserve palapa on beach (for the NEXT day) and even then sometimes not available. At peak season, they don't have enough palapas for all platinum guests, which was frustrating. Midweek they finally told me I could look for Thomas who is in charge of surveying the palapas, and if a reserved palapa wasn't occupied by 11am, he could assign to us if we found him by around 1030. Would have been nice to know this tip the first 2 days we were there. I did not bother to play the towel game at the pool (IMPOSSIBLE), as we were fine sitting on the edge of pool or actually being in the pool. But we did have to resort to setting our towels, shirts, etc on bushes since there were no tables to even set stuff on. I did notice that during the week they appeared to add more chairs to the beach area and by mid-afternoon there would be a few random single chairs around the pool. As far as the rest of platinum service, we never physically saw a "butler" once. There were plenty of computers to use in the platinum club each night around dinner time (maybe 16?). I am presuming since we checked in very late (after Midnight) they did not inform of us all the platinum services, so we just had to figure it out along the way. We were never approached by time-share people, but likely only because of our late check-in.

Room: initial room was Building 14 1st floor which faced the back of a palapa around the quiet adult hot tub (read: NO VIEW). I immediately called front desk and asked for higher floor (if paying for platinum and beach front I expect a real view) and despite being after midnight they did move us to Bldg 15 4th floor. View much improved. We were an end unit: PROs bedroom was quiet since no neighbor on other side of wall. CONs since end of bldg is angled back, our view was NOT panoramic but 1/2 of view was actually of bldg 14. Only other downside of Bldg 15 is that the music from the evening shows performed poolside (Fire show and Caribbean show (9pm-10pm) was quite loud if you have young kids trying to sleep early. Maid service was outstanding. 2 large bathrooms, plenty of closet space, in room safe. King bed in Master was not hard at all, but pull-out Murphy bed was a rock but just for the kids and they crashed out no problem, had full size cot for 3rd kid. In room coffee maker for coffee on balcony in am....never did find coffee that was supposedly in the lobby in the mornings. USA today delivered daily upon request for the week.

Service/food: we thought service was excellent and very prompt. Relatively slowest service was dinner at Marina and still not slow at all. Lobby and Mexican restaurant for dinner were quick. Only once ordered drink from server around pool and never received, anyways was faster to walk/swim to bar. Despite spring break no significant lines for drinks :) We actually preferred the poolside restaurant for lunch buffet because smaller, less crowded, and quieter (acoustics of the main lobby buffet very noisy). Although the lobby buffet did offer a vaster selection at breakfast/lunch. Only had to wait in line for table at buffet once and only about 10 minutes. The servers always quickly cleared plates from tables, though drink service at meals a little more spotty. Food quality was fairly good for buffet/all-inclusive fare, better than past experiences. At buffet, food was refreshed often. Kids liked pasta, crepes, ice cream (longest lines of course were for dessert). They had long hours available for each meal, breakfast as late as 1130 in lobby and lunch as late as 5pm by pool. Since no "snacks", we would usually grab a couple extra cereals in the AM if kids got hungry in the room.

One suggestion for management would be to improve the opportunity to view the photos taken by the many photographers. There were lots of photographers taking impromptu pictures of kids on the beach/pool but only had 2-3 viewing computers in lobby and usually a long line around dinner time to view. Although we would have likely purchased, we didn't want to wait in line. Hint: be sure to remember photographers name because that is how they search for your photos.

Fitness room was nice but very crowded despite having 4 treadmills, 3 or 4 ellipticals, free weights, universal....didn't to get a machine or space between 7-930am. Made appt for daughter to get TWO braids done on last day at spa since ladies weren't at poolside that day, and took over an hour despite having an appt...a little frustrating.

Beach itself was fine, yes lots of seaweed but they worked hard to clean up constantly (just walk opposite direction of the marina and you realize the difference). We did bring water shoes, but really not absolutely necessary. We were able to run on the beach in the AM's thru the Marina towards the NOW resort. Pool (besides the chairs) never felt crowded despite the Spring Break capacity.

Size of resort was perfect, nothing more than 3 minute walk away, comfortable letting our young teens go to restaurant together on their own etc. Expedia listed as 3 star, but I would give 4 stars. Just what we were looking for....nothing terribly fancy, but nice and clean, not a huge resort, and food and drinks very much satisfying. Plenty of staff around. Nothing over the top but certainly worked well for us. I read a year's worth of TA reviews about this resort so our expectations were certainly met.

7 Thank DebD88
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for choosing our resort.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice vacation with us.
Thank you for your good comments and for your feedback regarding to our Platinum club I already shared your review with Julieta our Platinum Mgr. to check those issues,I would like to comment as you did it on your review that we already add some more chairs and four more palapas in our beach area:)
We hope to serve you and your family again in another occasion in this your resort.
Thank you again for your preference and for your review.
Esta es su casa!
Edmonton
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Great spot nice size, was disapointed my kids were not allowed at the swim up bar, or in the hot tub. having to get up at 3am to get a chair by the pool sucks too as there are not nearly enough chairs to go around. Line ups are a little long at the buffets for lunch & dinner. The pro's, great rooms, food is really good, pool & beach are great. Good service.

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Our family just returned from a 10 day stay at the El Cid. Overall we were very happy with the accommodations and service provided. With a few exceptions they do measure up to a 4 star standard for a Mexican Resort.

Check In:

Our room was ready upon arrival and we were efficiently processed by the front desk staff although we did find throughout our stay that they were less than friendly or helpful. I suppose when you have to deal with every ones problems day in and day out you become a little bitter? You will be referred to a timeshare rep under the guise of a concierge to show you the resort. Knowing this in advance we politely declined after a short spiel and were not bothered again.

Room:

We had a junior suite in building 18 which we found to be adequate in size for our family of 4 including two young boys. Because of the smaller size of the resort and the convenient layout, none of the rooms are far from the pool, eating facilities or beach. Our room was on the 3rd floor which did permit an ocean view. The room was nicely appointed with dual sinks, a large shower, king bed and double Murphy Bed. I've read that some find the beds to firm but they seemed fine to us. One disappointment was the wireless internet service. Not only was there a $60/week charge to have internet in your room but this allowed access to only one device and the connection was intermittent and slow. Not acceptable in this day and age in my opinion. On tip: if your suffer the same poor connection try taking your laptop to the balcony. More connection options and better reception.

Service:

Most of the staff of the El Cid provided excellent service. The operations manager Mr Bustamante does a fine jog of keeping his staff motivated and efficient. The housekeepers did an outstanding job keeping our room clean. Occasionally however it was necessary to intercept some extra extra towels from one of the cleaning carts as towel restocking wasn't always generous. Waiters and bus boys at the restaurants and buffets were consistently friendly and attentive. Bartenders at the bar next to the water slide and cliff jump were sometimes surely but this was often the busiest bar and with their long shifts I'm sure we were seeing some burnout. The best drinks and service were provided by the beach bar next to the adult hot tub.

Facility and grounds:

The point has been made before but bears repeating, the grounds and gardens are lush and immaculately kept. The gardeners should be commended for their work including cleaning the beach area every morning of sea grass. The pool is large and beautiful. It includes a nice area for the kids with water slide and cliff jump. Although our kids didn't always take advantage, the kids clubs always had something on the go for the youngest children and teenagers. A games room for the kids would be a nice addition. The gym was nice although it should be kept colder for those using it for cardio. I'm not generally a treadmill fan but they overlooked the ocean which made the experience allot nicer! Wnen the hotel is at capacity finding a chair/longer at poolside or on the beach after breakfast is a problem, as it was for the first half of our stay. Had to play the game of getting up early to save some loungers, especially if you want some shade, which is not something you want to do while on vacation in my opinion. The op manager is looking into this issue. If you opt for the platinum club (I believe another $50/night premium) you have a reserved area of palapas and loungers.as one of the benefits.

Food and Drink:

The food at the buffets was always plentiful, regularly restocked and usually fresh. The quality was generally good although we noticed some cost cutting measures and the variety was limited especially for stays a week or longer. There are 3 restaurants on site where reservations are required in addition to the 2 buffets. We stuck to the buffets as the kids preferred them although we tried the Mexican restaurant one evening and it was fine. Alcoholic drinks are pretty much what you would expect from an all inclusive. Too bad tropical drinks were made with pre made mixes high in fructose. Overall the food and drink was good but definitely not 5 star.

Location:

If your looking for nightlife and shopping this resort is not convenient to either. We were not and were happy with the quiet beaches and quaint town of Puerto Morelos, an easy 3km walk from the resort. Note: Puerto Morelos is not accessible by walking the beach due to a dock facility that blocks the way. The proximity to the reef for snorkeling is nice but still requires a boat hire as it''s too far to swim from shore. We found the best deals on snorkeling tours in town, about $25-35/person vice the $45 charged at the hotel. The airport is close, about 20 minutes, especially compared with those choosing to stay in Playa Del Carmen or Akumel. The beach is nice but most of the sea floor is rock covered and best to swim with water shoes or sandals. Tip: the beach on the right closest to the marina breakwater was pretty much rock free.

In short the El Cid provides good value as a family orientated Mayan Riviera Resort

3 Thank Mike Q
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed our resort and the service from our staff that works really hard to please to our guests:).
We will gladly share your great review with our hotel staff and we know that there is always a lot of improvement areas:)
We hope to serve you all again in a near future in our resort.
Warm regards amigos and thank you so much for your visit and for your trust in El Cid.
See you soon familia!
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#21 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!