“Wish all resorts had this kind of service”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I will caveat this review that we are members at el cid. We have a very large number of points with a large time share company elsewhere, travel internationally for business and fun while staying at various hotel chains around the world and they all could take a lesson in service from this resort. The personal service and attentiveness was stellar. The location is great for couples and younger families wanting to have fun and relax. The only shortcoming here is the food. The buffets are solid and on par with any restaurant around the world, how ever the gourmet foods are truly lacking which is sad considering mexico's access to great ingredients. If you get an upgrade to platinum while here, ask for Rafael as your butler, he's great!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
8  Thank Real-Insight
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your awesome review and for your preference.
We are so glad that everything on your past stay was great.
In our resort we all work with the same vision in order to exceed our guests expectations.
We will be delighted to share your review with Rafael our butler and with the rest of our staff:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another visit in this your resort.
Hasta pronto amigos!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Reviewed September 21, 2011

My husband and I were there for New Year's this year, the staff, accomodation, food, attractions actually I would say everything was great, no complaints at all. Our room was perfect, we had a balcony which overlooked the pool and ocean, we enjoyed sitting there first thing in the morning with our coffee and before we went down for dinner at night with a cocktail. The a la carte restaurants I thought out did themselves with presentation plus the food that we chose was delicious. We did take in a side trip to Puerto Morelos, we rode bikes and that was so much fun. We also went to Playa for the day and we took the bus there. The staff were very helpful with directions and what was happening at the resort. Walking around the property and beach was good too. The main swimming pool was amazing - loved jumping off the big structure into the water. The exercise room and the classes that I did were great, not overly busy. Loved the close proximity to the airport. We would definitely go back again, highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Upandatem1
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your husband had a restful vacation in this your resort.
Thank you also for your kind comments, we will gladly share your nice review with all our staff:)
We hope to serve you and your husband again in a near future in this your resort:)
We wish you the best!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed at the El Cid June 2010. We have two boys 10 and 11. This Resort is AMAZING. The pools, water falls, slides, beach, snorkling and food. If you want a family vacation then this is the resort for you. We have stayed at many resorts in this area. From 5 star to 2 star. This is def our most favorite.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank katrina_dituri
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

Dear travelers:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a great stay in this your resort.
We will be delighted to host you and your family again in a near future.
Thank you again for sharing your review and for choosing El Cid:)
Best wishes from all our staff!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

El Cid is a cute little hotel - with great food in the buffet (how often do you hear that?), and good service throughout the resort... except... the front desk personnel. You have read it before in these reviews, and although it doesn't seem like a big thing much later, their icy attitude and unhelpful manners reduce your enjoyment of the resort.

Pool is nice - if you have kids, they will love the jumping and playing opportunities. Easy to get to Playa via taxi to Puerto Moreles, then bus to Playa - a fun little adventure.

Service on the beach is very good - they serve Corona which is a very nice touch.

Service in the restaurants is also very good for an all-inclusive style resort.

Booked with WestJet Vacations - they do a good job of delivering on this package. Recommend.

If the front desk was more accommodating, we would probably go back. Instead, we are prepared to pay a little more for a better service experience - too bad the hotel management doesn't seem to realize the importance of fixing this problem.

Sincerely.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Heathenrich
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you enjoyed our resort and the service of our staff excepting for the front desk.
Since last April several implementations were made in our front desk to give a warmer and efficient service to our guests:)
We hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you again in a near future to experience our improvement.
Thank you again for sharing your review and for your preference.
Best wishes amigos!

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We've been to Cancun quite a few times and this time we wanted a place that was newer, so we went south. I chose this resort because we were traveling with 13 year old twins and I wanted a place where they would be entertained. Here are my pros: The pool was fabulous and it did entertain my kids each day for hours. Our room was really nice. At the last minute we upgraded from a "family room" to a " one bedroom suite", and it was the best decision we ever made. The One Bedroom suite is well worth the little bit extra cost. We had the hotel bring in a cot and we were all set. The food in the buffet was good and we never got bored. The drinks were always good as well. The entertainment staff was great and every day starting at noon they ran "Crazy Hour", which was always a different pool side activity. The only cons I saw were: There are no indoor activities to be had if you've had too much sun for the day. Additionally, it would have been nice if they had teen activities or a teen room for teens to hang out in. The last thing I would take issue with is that the food in the "reservation restaurants" wasn't that good. We all actually liked the buffet food better. Overall it was a great vacation. Next time though we'll probably look for a place that has more activities for teens.

Room Tip: Paying a little extra for the one bedroom suite if you're traveling with kids is well worth it...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank Michelle D
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your nice review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family spent a happy vacation with us and enjoyed our services and your one bedroom suite.
Thank you also for your feedback that is a great tool for us, in our resort we are avid to know all the opinions from our valuable guests.
We hope to serve you and your family again in a near future in this your resort:)
Muchisimas gracias por su preferencia!

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Ok, yes it is another one of those very nice all-inclusives, not a big trip from the airport in Cancun. I have been here two years in a row, and the people could not be nicer. One of the families in my party had two children, and they graciously upgraded the room size to something more fitting for a family of four, without any extra charge....and why not, if it is available? Oh, and I tried to thank the person that did it for me with a little something (actually not that little) and IT WAS REFUSED! Great stuff for the kids, a diving pond off the rocks in the center of the pool you have to see to believe, a large slide and even one for the little ones. Not to mention the Kids Club where they hang all day with activities with kids their own age. Free internet would be nice, but they do charge...get with it people..other hotels offer it! Now the food and drinks....the bartenders by the pool will give you anything you want, and any beer you want, as long as it is Corona. A bit disappointing on that note. The fruity icey drinks are subpar to those you would get in a regular restaurant, because most are premixed. On the other hand, if you want a glass of straight Absolute vodka, it's there for the asking and served with a smile. Give the bartenders a few bucks, and you have a friend for life. (yes, Sr. Bustamante, (the manager) they do accept tips...AND LET THEM! The waiters are the same..trust me they will remember you..we do not all look alike! The food is good to average for an all- inclusive, and sometimes it is a bit repetitive. The breakfasts and lunches certainly have enough variety for everyone. While it is not gourmet Mexican food, if there is such a thing, it is more than adequate. And I should mention that I have been to about eight different hotels that do this in Mexico. I had to laugh at the adults who ate hot dogs and hamburgers with fries...is that why you came to Mexico?? The dinners are by reservation, and sometimes they stretch the menu to try and be something they are not, but you know what?... It's still pretty darn good! They may tell you that there is no reservation available and the restaurant is 1/3 full, but that has to do with the staffing more than the amount of tables....make a sheepish hurt face,smile, and ask again nicely, and if you don't have a reservation, and you are not a party of eight, they will do it! Overall a great vacation! Most of the bad reviews of this calibre of hotel seem to be from people that have never been to Mexico before, have expected something different. If you expect your hot dog or steak to taste exactly like your mother made, you are better off going to her house.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank ringo8553

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your frequent visits to this your resort.
We are so glad that you and your family had a pleasant holiday once again.
Thank you also for your your nice comments and for your suggestions, in our resort we are absolutely sure that our staff serves to all of our guests with warm service and always with a smile, thank you so much for recognizing them:)
It will be an honor to serve all of you again in a near future and thank you again for sharing your comments and for your preference.
Esta es su casa estimados amigos!

Reviewed September 13, 2011

My family of 4 (kids 13, 7) stayed at El Cid from September 3-10 as platinum guests (only because of a great deal through Expedia). We had a fantastic time and will definitely be back even if it was not perfect. I will try to section the review to make it easy to read.

Check-In-
Check in through platinum was ok. It was nice to be able to sit but the process was quite lengthy. We were greeted with a choice of drinks and a wet towel to freshen up. Everything was explained in detail and a butler was called to take us to our room. Upon arrival at our room, it was not ready even though it was 4 o'clock. We were taken back to the main building and told we had to wait. So we decided to eat an early dinner in the buffet. We did so and went back to the club at 4:45 and was told it would be another hour. We waited a few minutes and I finally said we just wanted another room. They were not excited about this but did finally get us another room.

Room-
We stayed in building 14 on the 3rd floor and had a great ocean front and adult pool view. The room was a 1 bedroom suite with 2 separate bathrooms with a huge stand up shower in each. The room was large and very clean. The beds were good for us and honestly even if they were rock hard it would have been ok because by the end of the day you are exhausted from all of your activities. The room also had a 4 person dining table in the kitchenette which was nice for the nights we ordered room service. Balconies off the living and bedroom areas were a nice way to end the day.

Grounds- The grounds at El Cid are immaculate! Beautiful lush green landscaping and gorgeous flowers. The crew was constantly working to keep the areas perfect. The front of our room was right in front of a pond full of turtles (cute little ones too) and never smelled. I know some have commented about a mosquito problem but we only had one night of that. The wind had completely died down and the attack ensued. Nothing El Cid can do to change the wind. lol Even if there were no ponds on the grounds El Cid and most resorts in the Riviera Maya lie between the ocean and huge mangroves and swamps. Mosquito heaven.

Beach-
The beach is very clean and the water looks gorgeous. There are quite a few rocks once you get in the ocean about 15-20 feet in. Wear water shoes and that should be fine. There were always lots of palapas and beach chairs. Actually there were some days when we felt like it was our own private beach. Lots of hammocks and 2 bars right on the beach. There are flags which indicate the safety of the water (based on wind and waves-I think) and I do not believe these were ever changed from red. There were some very obvious red flag days but others seemed very calm and the red flag, turned orange from the sun, was always fliying high. Use your own judgement.

Pool- I cannot say enough great things about the pool. My kids could have lived there and aside from our off property excursions, did. The cliff jump and the slide were awesome and my kids never got bored of them. There was always a small group trying new tricks off the jump and this kept everyone, even the onlookers entertained. There is also a water volleyball net and chairs in the water. The pool bar was ok. The staff was not very enthusiastic but made your drinks with a smile. The drinks varied depending on who made them. Very important - There is a life guard at he pool near the cliff jump. He was super nice but honestly did not seem at all interested in what was going on at the pool. He was not always present and sometimes would leave his station to chat with the ladies. I always watch my own kids in the pool, life guard or not, so please be sure to keep this in mind.

Gift shop- The gift shop was well stocked with necessities and souveniers but really OVER priced. A 4 oz bottle of sunblock was $28!!! The snacks were $4-5 for an individual serving of candy or chips. Worse than a movie theater! lol Bring plenty of sunblock and possibly bug spray.

Tour Agency- Pronotours (?) was the agency in the hotel. We booked one tour to Tulum/Xel-Ha and were greatly mislead on the times and schedule. We paid for both tours but only managed to see one.

Platinum Club- The platinum lounge was nice to have. They have 5 computers that you can access to browse the web. You can also borrow DVD's and books. We did this for a few nights and it worked out great. There is a lounge area where you can make your own mixed drinks (premium liquor) and get sodas, water and light snacks. The snacks were sushi and some sort of desert and pastries every day. Oh and there is no free wi-fi in your rooms even with platinum. I read that on here but it is simply not true.

Laundry- I only mention this because by day 4 we had a lot of wet and dirty clothes. I knew I had read here that there were washers and dryers on site. So I called the platinum lounge and they said no. I called again later that even for the same answer. Once again the next morning, I called and they said we could pay to have someone do our laundry. So we did and it cost us $70! I chose to do this because of necessity but I would have gladly done the laundry myself. Well on Day 6 we walked over to the marina and there the washers and dryers stood. So for $5 I could have done my own laundry but noone knew where the machines were. When this was pointed our to the platinum staff they simply said the people we asked just did not know. No consolation was offered. This was not cool but did not ruin our stay.

Staff- The staff at El Cid were cordial but honestly we never had contact with anyone overly friendly, except for the very shy but always smiling maid. We tipped well or we thought we did. $5 for each meal and $5 a day for the maid. $1-2 for each drink. This was our first all inclusive so I was blind on this one. Anyway, again most were friendly, aside from the cooks at the restaurant grills, 1 pool bar waiter and a quite snotty waiter at the main lounge bar. Our butler carried our bags to our room and we only saw him again twice in 8 days and only in passing. But this was ok because we really did not need him for much.

Time share- We were never approached by time share people. We did see them a lot but they left us alone.

Maid service- The maid service was excellent. The rooms were thoroughly cleaned every morning and straightened up and beds turned down each night. We always had plenty of fresh towels and when we needed more for an excursion they gladly brought them over. These ladies (and possibly gentlemen) work very hard. Tip them well.

Food- Ahh the food at El Cid. Honestly, if I rated the hotel on the food alone I would say run as fast as you can. My husband works overseas in a 3rd world country and is used to eating really awful food but even he thought this was nasty. In fairness, we always found something that was decent but that was after trying a lot of other almost inedible dishes. Breakfast was the best because you could have them cook an omelett or fried/scrambled eggs at the grill but some of the other breakfast offerings were just terrible. Cold. Indescribable. Just not right. Lunch and dinner were times that the kids and I dreaded. I lived off bread and refried beans (which were actually quite tasty). We found a great restaurant in Puerto Morelos (Cantina Habanero) which we gladly paid to eat at a few times. Everyone MUST try it. Great food. Great service. Loved that little place. Anyway, the reservation restaurants were just as bad as the buffet. I got gnocci and chicken parm and it was not edible. My son got chicken nuggets and they were cold and rock hard. The mashed potatoes tasted like they were instant. Really BEAUTIFUL plating but only nice to look at. The mexican restaurant by the pool was closed most of the time but the one night we ate there was horrible. The menu was almost entirely seafood and our food was again cold and bland. Mexican night at the buffet was nicely decorated and made us feel festive but again, the food quality was terrible. For people who got sick I cannot say they were sick from the food. We never got sick or even felt bad after eating. We were very careful about drinking the water and how we brushed our teeth (bottled water only) and managed to feel great our entire trip. And just so you know I am not hard to please. I did not expect gourmet, I eat at McDonald's for goodness sake, but this really was awful and heard many others say the same.

Room Service- Room service was prompt (30-45 min) and the food was ok. We usually got burgers, spaghetti and quesadillas. It was nice to have after a long day at the beach or on a tour.

Shows- We only saw the fire show and part of the tropical show which were both spectacular! Lots of fun music and dancing. A lot of eye candy for the men. :)

I hope this info helps someone make a decision to stay at El Cid. Even with the food in mind, we will hopefully go back. The rooms, pool, grounds and location could not be beat for the price. Perfect sized resort for a family with children. It was easy to keep an eye on them.

Also, a side note Puerto Morelos is a sweet little town with lots of super nice people. Worth the $6 taxi ride.

Room Tip: Building 14, 15 had great views. Top floors views are the best but even the 2nd and 3rd floors will...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
16  Thank Jen J

Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family were satisfied with our resort and with mostly of all our services.
Thank you also for detailing all the aspects of your holiday, your review will be so useful for us and as we always commented on our responses all of this reviews help us a lot to improve all our services and facilities.
We assure you that for your future stay you will notice all our improvements.
Thank you again for sharing your review and for choosing El Cid:)
Warm regards!

Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 176 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
#73 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!