“Not one complaint!”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
New Jersey
“Not one complaint!”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We went to Excellence Riveria on our honeymoon and loved every minute of it!

The resort is gorgeous! Every view is picture perfect and the weather was GREAT in October. There were plenty of places to lay in the sun or the shade and there were even waiters that came to your room if you were laying outside.

Our room was ALWAYS clean. The maids came twice a day and always made sure everything was pristine before they left.

I am the pickiest eater in the world (no onions, beef or spicy food) and somehow all the restaurants, even the Mexican one, accomodated my requests. Breakfast wasn't incredible and I would have liked if they had a snack bar of some sort open 24 hours, but I am certainly not complaining.

The staff caters to your every need! David is the best bartender in the world! Abraham was an awesome waiter (Agave) and Roberto, Michael and Miceli were also very good bartenders.

We got a couples massage at the spa and I highly reccommend it!

Also, we had pictures taken with Lazaro and he took really creative and fun shots. We were so happy with our pictures! The photo shoots are free and then you can decide what pictures you want to get or you can buy all of them as a package like we did!

There are not a lot of places open late, but if you drink all day in the sun you will probably be tired by 10 pm. I wouldn't reccommend this resort to go to with friends to party. It is very classy and romantic.

My husband and I plan on going back next year to celebrate our anniversary. I would certainly reccommend this hotel for couples.

2 Thank chicadee707

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,799)
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Let me preface this by saying that I have been to Cancun once a year ever since I was 6 and in the last three years I have been going around 3 or 4 times a year because my boyfriend lives in the area. I have stayed at a lot of hotels in the area of Cancun in my day, and this was one of the few that failed to impress me.

The grounds of the hotel were absolutely gorgeous. Pools everywhere, bars on every corner, and our room had a nice layout.. I enjoyed the swim-up suite we had, as it was sort of a "private escape" from the rest of the hotel. However, that was about all I enjoyed at this resort.

It took until around 5 pm until our room was ready, and the resort was MAYBE at 50% capacity. All of the surrounding rooms in our building (6) were empty in the swim up suites, and only could see a couple of people scattered around the top floors. Our room had ants all over the bathroom sink at all times, after we told the front desk multiple times. I found the bed uncomfortable, and for me the place need to be majorly updated (old tv, old sheets, ect).

This place DIES at 1 am....they turn of all the grounds lights and everything closes. We got home at 2 am and even the front gate lights were off! The pools had bugs and leaves floating in them at almost all hours of the day, and the beach was not as clean as I am used to in the Yucatan.

The thing that really upset me? The food! Granted, I was not expecting a 5 star meal all the time as it IS an all-inclusive, but the food was disgusting!!! We ate at Toscana, Chez, and the Lobster House and lobster was by far the only thing that tasted half-way decent. My steak was tough, escargot was chewy, and our beef carpaccio was downright disgusting! Ok...the "foo foo" food was not okay...but my beach burger wasn't even tasteless. How do you mess up a burger?! They did have good drinks on site...when the bartender cared to notice you were there.

The only thing I liked at the resort was the deserts. I am not a picky eater, but everything was just downright tasteless and by no means did it live up to my more experienced palette. You pay on average $ 300- $ 400 a night to stay at this hotel for two people, and Senor Frogs has better food than what they serve here. Not to offend anyone who extremely enjoyed the food there, but this is NOT the type of quality I am used to for the Cancun area.

Service wise, this hotel is so-so. I found the front desk persons to be extremely unhelpful, and would continually ignore me to help other people whenever I came up to ask them a question...and this was AFTER a rather large tip at the beginning of the stay. While I found some bartenders and entertainment staff very friendly here, the overall atmosphere at this resort was rather cold. Cancun holds some of the most friendly people in the world, but somehow they didn't end up at this resort. The staff simply served, rather than attempting to socialize with their guests...something I am not used to.

For those who enjoy sub-par food at a 5 -star price, this is the place for you. For the others? Take your business somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Magikstarrynite7
London, UK
Reviewed October 19, 2010

As the title says ERC was just ok, the service and quality of food was amazing compared to other resorts I have stayed in nearby, but unfortunately there were far too many down sides to our stay.

ERC was recommended to us as a very peaceful resort without the party atmosphere, to ensure this was what we got we even upgraded to the Club area and initially on arrival to ERC this is what is seemed to be, with only a few groups to be seen, but then the sun came out and so did the groups of very loud, overbearing and rude Americans (I apologise to those who do not fit into this category, as not all did). Two days into our stay we woken up at 3am due to a large group chanting down the corridor, the following morning the first sight we saw was beer cans floating in the pool, people shouting across the pool because they were too lazy to walk to speak to their friends (around 10-20 meters away) and so our holiday went downhill fast! 4-5 days. We spent days contemplating how to escape from the hell we seemed to land in at one point we even considered ending our holiday early or moving to a different hotel. At night (for a while) we even avoided all bars because of these groups more interested in pouring shots down their throats and disrupting others, fortunately there was light and it turned out the majority of these guests were here for a wedding (a very large wedding), once departed normal service resumed with just the odd loud and overbearing individual.

The rooms are tired and in desperate need of some TLC, the sofa’s are worn (ours had an obvious very old tear in it) the fixed furniture again all show signs of age with chips and scrapes clearly showing on the upside the shower room is wonderful roomy and an amazing water pressure (better than I’ve experienced anywhere) and I personally found the bed extremely comfortable. The staff here cannot do enough for you though with the exception of one or two which obviously just want the tips, there are plenty of activities for all to enjoy, the beach is fine, the sea unfortunately is not clear (too much sea grass/sand being kicked up) and reminded me more of the horrible brown/grey you get on the English coast definitely not something you’d expect from the Caribbean sea.

The food, for us the food was amazing with the one exception of the Lobster House, we only visited the Lobster house once because it was so bad, but maybe we just picked a bad night, our favourite by far was the Mexican, the Lime soup and Fajitas were amazing and this was closely followed by the Asian restaurant, ultimately I don’t think you can go too far wrong.

Overall it was a good holiday but not a great holiday, if you don’t mind the groups wanting a long “party” weekend away it’s a good hotel but if you are looking for peace and quiet don’t upgrade to the Club request a spa view room (it was so peaceful there) or consider a much smaller hotel.

Would I go back, honestly I’m not sure, if I was guaranteed there were no large weddings, maybe...

3 Thank Hexab
manchester
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We decided to stay at this hotel for our honeymoon after trawling endlessly through all the trip advisor comments. Im so glad we chose this one!!!!! Pay no attention to the compalints on here - yes the room smelt a little musty upon arrival but light the incense stick and the smell goes. Yes there is a bit of sea-weed on the beach but for crying out loud, ITS A BEACH, what do you expect?!!!! they actually clean it a couple of times a day so it really does not matter in the slightest.
We flew with Thomson - staff in flight were wonderful but expect a couple of hours delay each way - on our outbound flight some numpty put something on the aircraft that shouldnt have been there so they then had to take it off! not exactly professional but there you go... i would definitely advise getting the upgraded seats but, again, be aware that Thomson like messing people around and dont care who they upset - they wont always board you on a plane that even have the upgraded seats.
Anyway, when we arrived we were greeted with the customary "welcome home" and given a glass of champagne. The staff on reception were wonderful - not rude at all like others have commented. They really cannot do enough for you at this place!!!!!
Ricardo the bell boy took us to our room - what a guy!!!! he was absolutely amazing, told us everything we needed to know about the hotel plus more!! Thank you Ricardo for making us feel so welcome!!!
Rooms are lovely, we requested a king bed with views of the pool and spa, so glad we did - each morning you can hear the faint music coming from the spa which is sooo nice. we had a bottle of champagne on ice in our room waiting for us for our honeymoon - if youre not on honeymoon dont feel left out - you can order as much as you want off the menu at anytime of the day or night, just ask for it - even if its 6 champagne cocktails!!!!!!!!!
I am quite fussy when it comes to quality of food but found the food here to be all in all very good - we did not rate chez isabel at all - staff are again absolutely wonderful but food is not - edible but nothing special. Stay away from the mexican restaurant - terrible!!!!!!!!! we couldnt even finish our meal there but what we did eat made us ill.
Spice is amazing - if you book the tepenyaki make sure you go with a rumbling stomach as the portions are more than enough for 2 people!!!!! if you like your meat then this is the place for you!!!!
Barcelona is great for breakfast - you WILL put weight on so dont even think about it!!
Grill was fantastic, we had lunch here most days - Luis the waiter is excellent, even tried teaching me Spanish. If you go for dinner here you have to have the fillet steak and ask for the lobster from the Lobster House - they will sort it no problem at all.
Lobster House again excellent - my husband hates fish but even he found something he liked.
Loads of place round the pool, however, it seams that a lot of Brits that were there have taken a leaf out of our neighbour's book and reserved seats at around 7 in the morning - to all those people get a life you sad, pathetic little skanks, and while you're at it, grow up!!!
If you want a place with shade unfortunately you do have to rise early to beat these magpies. However, there is even more space on the beach which we found to be more comfortable than the pool.
Look out for the coconut guy on the beach - fresh coconut cocktails are amazing.
We took out a cateraman which was great fun - if you dont know how to sail one ask for a lesson otherwise they will leave you to it!!
Nightime entertainment was ok, MJ show nothing special, circus howeber was incredible!!! the hula hoop girl makes it look a damn site easier than it actually is!
All drinks are premium brand, if you want a stronger drink again just ask for it....in fact if you want anything at all just ask. Check out the X Lounge - its only open from 7pm looking over the beach and up at the stars - great way to end the night.
Get a massage at the spa - worth every penny. do look out for the daily offers though as some of the treatments are a little too over-priced.
The guys at the Kafe Cafe are wonderful - thanks for a very memorable last night!!!!!!!!!
We were delayed coming back home due to a hurricane - everyone at the hotel are so well prepared for these that there is nothing to worry about if one comes during your stay.

All in all this place was incredible, this is the first place I have ever been to after 20 years of travelling that I would definitely go back to. We are even planning our returm trip in 2012 - juat need to save up!!!
We booked with Carribean Warehouse who are brilliant - they know everything about each place they have on their books. The staff go to these place so can give you a first hand account of them.

If you are thinking of going here just go, you really will not regret it. Dont listen to the negative comments on here - they are so petty and insignificant. Unfortunately you cant please everyone all of the time.
This place is outstanding, just go

2 Thank dina14
Ohio
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We arrived at Cancun airport on time at approximately noon on Saturday October 9th - along with many other aircraft! It took about an hour to get thru customs and out the door. I’ve never seen it so backed up and busy! We were greeted by Olympus Tours with our private transfer and were off to Excellence!

When we arrived at the gate of the resort, the security officer asked our name. He radioed ahead to the front desk and bell hop - then every person that we met during check in greeted us by name and welcomed us to Excellence. Our room was not ready as we were very early for the 3:00 check in at the resort but were given a pager that would alert us to when we could get in to our room. By 2:30 the pager went off and we were in our room in a flash!

The room was very spacious and very nice. We had a sofa with two chairs and a desk in the “lower level” of the room. There is not a dresser but there are shelves in the closet of which worked out just fine. We were in the 3000 block (non-Excellence Club) directly across from the Spa in a swim out room – of which I highly recommend if you don’t book the Club level. There was no musty smell in the room as mentioned in previous reports. There is, however, incense provided by the resort of which was replenished when we used it. No complaints about the room – except for the bed! That had to be the hardest most uncomfortable bed that I’ve ever tried to sleep on! After night two of no sleep, we actually flipped the mattress of which helped out a little. We were both up and down several times a night due to that mattress! I fell asleep in the hammock on the patio one day and slept better than in the bed!

The pools are incredible – but were very, very cold while we were there. Loungers with or without a palapa by the pool are non-existent by 10:00 AM (hence the recommendation of the swim out room of which you have two loungers and a hammock at your patio door). The resort was at 78% occupancy during our stay and it certainly showed while looking for a lounger by the pool. We only had luck in getting two pool loungers one day of our trip and that was only after a couple took off for lunch and told us they would not be coming back. And if you’re not in the Excellence Club – you can forget about a pool float as they are almost non-existent.

The beach is soft white sand and very wide. You can walk for a long way if you so desire. The resort does a great job of cleaning up the sea grass of which comes in from the reef. I personally didn’t notice many rocks and for me it was not an issue at all. There were many “attacks” of sand fleas – with my husband and I being two of the victims! Several people at the resort were sporting red dot calves due to those pesky critters! Unlike the pool, it was never a problem to get a lounger with palapa on the beach. The ocean water was at 82 degrees which was warmer than the pools!

The service at this resort is absolutely top notch! There was not a person that we passed walking that didn’t greet us with a smile and a hello. It was their pleasure to provide you with anything that you desired and it was (or seemed) very sincere from everyone. As for tipping, we spent about $100 for the week but did not feel obligated to do so. We tipped for the outstanding service that we received and not due to expectations from the staff. We were also told that for our next trip, email the concierge in advance our requests for liquor or anything else and they would try to accommodate – and again, we were not in club level.

Restaurants were good and had a nice selection. We normally are very tired of the food by the end of the week of which was not the case on this trip. We always had the buffet for breakfast and for lunch we rotated the buffet and the Grill or the Lobster House. Getting your order was a little slower during lunch at the sit down restaurants but you could get out of the sun and enjoy the fantastic view. We enjoyed the Asian and French restaurants at night the most and received outstanding service at both. The only dessert that I had during the week (diet!) was at the French restaurant and it was well worth the calories! We ordered room service for coffee and juice in the mornings and it was very quick to be delivered.

The grounds are meticulously manicured and absolutely beautiful. I sat on the patio early in the AM with my coffee and watched the grounds keepers’ water and cut any brown areas off of the plants. It’s very mature and very lush - just beautiful! The resort itself is very clean and I saw the workers picking up things (like paper or beer caps) and throwing them in the trash as they walked. All of the employees pay very close attention to detail and take pride in their work.

We did a tour of the kitchens one day and were impressed by the fact that they would take guests and show them the actual cooking areas. Talk about clean! We were introduced to white chef coats and hair nets that day as each of us had to wear both! If you get the chance to do the tour, it’s worth the time and very interesting.

We had the threat of Hurricane Paula on Tuesday afternoon announced by the resort. They did everything in their power to continue servicing all the guests at the highest level while also preparing for the possibility of a hurricane. They kept the guests well informed on status and what could possibly happen if there was an evacuation. Well, Paula sent us rain on Tuesday night that continued until around 2:00 on Wednesday afternoon. During that time, there were games, poker, music and all types of entertainment in the theatre area. As soon as the rains stopped, they hurried and got things back to normal for everyone to hit the pools and beach. They did a great job on all aspects.

We met some very fun, wonderful people from all over the globe! A big shout out to “The Donkey” and his wife from Scotland, Corona Girl and all her Gal Pals from Illinois, and several new friends from Tennessee, Georgia, New York, Vancouver, BC and London, England.

All in all – this resort is amazing and it’s the service provided that makes it that way. With only one complaint about this resort (BED!) we will be visiting the Playa Mujeres location next year for comparison! Now the only question is to club level or not to club level…..

2 Thank OhioTravelDiva
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
Reviewed October 18, 2010

After American Airlines botched our honeymoon plans to Excellence Punta Cana, we were rebooked at Riviera Maya. We had an amazing time! There were swan towels, rose petals, fresh fruit, and a chilled bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us, as well as a banner on our door. Even though a hurricane skirted us during our stay, they still had plenty of activities going on to keep you occupied. All employees are so nice and helpful. They're motivating me to learn Spanish for our next trip! The food is absolutely wonderful-best we've had anywhere. Your glasses never see the bottom. I would not reccommend the eggs benedict or the lobster...only 2 things we could have gone without during our stay. Rooms are wonderful and October is the perfect time to go. The shows are entertaining, and the perfect end to a day spent sipping drinks on the beach. The spa was great-definitely take advantage of the daily deals-the hydrotherapy pool is so relaxing. Perfect honeymoon for us!!!

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bphil10910
wjack
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed at the ERC from October 9th through October 16th. We have been to several all inclusives in the area before including Riu, Occidental and Palace resorts. I would have to say that ERC was the best of them (but not a lot better than Aventura Palace). Truly, people who complain about this place really must have some issues. The staff goes out their way to make everything perfect. We had few complaints, but the minor ones we did have were rectified almost immediately (TV not working, minibar not restocked).

The hotel is six years old, and immaculte for the most part. The rooms, bars and restaurants are all extremely clean. I never saw a bug inside anywhere which is pretty amazing for Mexico. The pools and grounds and are also beautiful and well maintained.

We did not stay in the Excellence Club and frankly I do not beleive we missed anything. We had a third floor room (they call it second) that overlooked the pool and spa. I thought the view was great. The food in all the restaurants is very good and I think we are pretty particular when it comes to food. We had only one bad meal the whole week and ironically, it was in Chez Isabelle (French) which almost everyone else seems to think is the best. The soups and escargot were cold and my filet could not be cut with an axe. We didn't complain, just left and went elsewhere. I personally thought that Toscana (Italian) was the best and Enrico, the manager, was awsome. We never ate dinner in the Lobster House, but requested lobster to be sent over to the Grill next door one night and they did so without hesitation. If you don't like something or request something special, they do their best to accomodate you. The breakfast buffet was good if not imaginative. Servado was the best buffet waiter, by far.

The beach was beautiful and not covered with seaweed as some have stated. They "vacuum" the beach at least once per day to remove any weeds or foreign material. There were plenty of lounge chairs on the beach and most were covered. The pools were also very clean if a little cold for my taste. There were plenty of lounge chairs both in and out of the sun. The hotel was only about 75% occupied, so there may be problems with seating around the pool when they are completely full. As others have noted there is a real issue with the "floaties". According to the staff there only 100 of them and people actually get out at 6:30 am to grab as many as can and hoard them-it's ridiculous.

All in all, an excellent all inclusive resort with far better than average food and beverages. I would definately return.

4 Thank wjack
#11 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!