“Excellente !!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Erie,PA
“Excellente !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2007

This was our third trip to this resort !! It is Fantastic but first i would like to take a moment to personaly thank the staff memebers.

Big hugs to Santos, Amabel, Moses, Damian, Juan Luois, Alfredo and our special friend Enrique Rocha you all are the best !! I miss you already!! Thanks again for making my birthday something to remember!!! Scobby Doo!!! Haha

Mike & I would also like to thank the girls in the Excellence Club lounge for all you do!!!

Our stay was wonderful great weather lots of nice people and the service is excellent.

The Restraunts : were all very good but we really like the French & Barcelona The food was really good. The Mexican has gone down in quality from the last couple of times we were there but do order a Mayan Coffee!!! Yummy !!! I think you can only get the Mayan coffee at the Mexican but I'm not sure about that.

Our room : was fantastic you will love the shower it's huge!!!

Big hello's to some of the people we met, Ruth & George.

to : Jan & Ken (UK) hope to see you dont forget Mike's beer cuzzie

To: Jack & Rae(Lancaster Pa) who me met on our last night at the resort hope to see you Jack & Rae Next year in January 2008 the 10th through 22nd,?

Greg & Denise hope to see you as well.

Just pack your bags and go this resort!! The food & Service is out of this world!! Should be a 10 star !!! Anyone have any questions just email me and i will be happy to answer and concerns you may have.

miamitami114@aol.com
Enjoy Tami McClimans Erie, PA

• Liked — Everything
1 Thank miamitami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,526)
  • Korean first
Bolingbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

Let me first begin my stating that my wife and I traveled to Excellence Riviera Cancun when it was owned by Secrets Resorts. I want to state that because no longer is that true. Therefore, my review may be different from the reviews of current.

Moving on, Secrets Excellence was truly amazing. To begin my adventure, Excellence is set back quite a 'bit off the main road, which is nice because there is piece and quiet. The staff is overly nice and willing to assist with your every need. Service was above and beyond any expectation that I could have had. The pools are magnificent and the adjoining pool bar always made for a great afternoon (or morning!) drink. The grounds were always beautiful at night and there was just enough night-life...not too crazy, but not too quiet. All of the restaurants were amazing! There was never a problem getting sat and there was never a long wait for entrees. Service at the restaurants was also amazing. I highly recommend leaving a few dollars at each meal given the fact that the staff work hard at meeting and exceeding your every need.

The beach is beautiful, but the water is not the greatest. Sometimes murky with seaweed...I think my wife and I swam in the ocean only once or twice. However, we were always on the beach to play volleyball. The beach continues for miles and can easily be walked, which we did many times during sunset.

Overall, I would highly recommend Excellence. From the beautiful all-marble rooms to the amazing service, Secrets Excellence is certain not to upset.

• Liked — The amazing service!
  • Disliked — The water...at times murky and overloaded with seaweed.
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
13 Thank caymansun32
Hingham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

Just returned from a 5-night stay at ERC (Jan. 25-30). The main objective of our trip was relaxation and ERC certainly provided that.

1. FOOD - This was our first time at an all-inclusive and it was very nice to have the choice of many restaurants with no reservations necessary -- the 24-hr. room service was terrific - especially nice for breakfast as I'm not fond of having to get showered first thing for coffee. The food was delivered promptly (always within 1/2 hr). The restaurants located at the pool, The Grill and Lobster House, served good lunch-time fare. The service in The Grill on one occasion was horribly slow but we soon found out that the meals could be delivered either pool-side or beach-side so whe never bothered wasting precious sun time after that. The restaurants we chose to eat at for dinner, Toscana, Barcelona & Chez Isabelle, were average at best. The service, however, was great (especially Alfredo at Chez Isabelle). This just isn't a place to go if you're looking for great food -- but then again, at an AI we weren't really expecting it. In a nutshell, good breakfasts, good lunch, average dinners.

2. RESORT -- Very beautifully maintained! The meandering pools throughout were kept exceptionally clean and looked beautiful. The beach was much prettier than we anticipated having read prior reviews -- more than enough palapas and the sand was a powdery white. The water was warm enough for me band I was surprised there weren't more brave souls! Word of caution, if you decide to take a walk in either direction off the resort, it isn't so attractive -- beach has lots of debris. The swim-up bar at the main pool was alot of fun and people very friendly -- grab a drink and float around on the many floats provided.

3. SPA -- Wonderful! My husband I booked side-by-side massages (I, aromatherapy and he, deep tissue). Included in the price was a 1-hr. hydrotherapy circuit beforehand -- gets the blood flowing! A very relaxing experience and I'm glad we treated ourselves.

4. ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES -- Plenty of activities provided during the day if you wanted to participate -- we went to the tequila tasting which was fun and actually informative. No more tequila here unless it's 100% agave! You can really do as much or as little as you desire here. The band at the pool during the day was nice however the "shows" at night at the theatre are hokey. But you can just sit in one of the many comfy lounge chairs, have a drink and wait for the fun in the disco to begin at 11:00! The disco was fun and one night had Karaoke which was funny.

As we were there for only 5 days and mainly wanted to relax in the sun, we only spent one-day off-resort -- went down to Playa del Carmen and was pleasantly surprised by its New Orleans-like festive atmosphere -- we were glad we spent a little time there so we actually felt like we'd seen a bit of Mexico!

In short (or actually length!), this is a terrific place to get away from it all with your spouse or s.o. and enjoy the sun -- you'll have a great time.

• Liked — Beautifully maintained
  • Disliked — Food
21 Thank tonyandpatty
Grayslake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

My boyfriend and I just spent a week at Excellence from Jan 18th to the 25th and had an amazing time! We are both very well traveled and ridiculously critical when it comes to the resorts we choose, and this is definately the best all-inclusive we've been to. We have stayed at Secrets Capri (also very nice but a little to quiet for us), the El Dorado Royal (boring with a bad beach), Riu Palace Las Americas(great location).
Excellence is exactly as it is described on their website, great rooms, Really great food (did they have to put a scale in the room?) and plenty to do.
The entertainment staff was fantastic, but did not pressure you to participate like some other resorts.
The bartenders were always happy and ready to serve. This was the one thing that stood out, they never "ran out" of the premium liquors. We made lots of new friends drinking shots of Don Julio Tequila. ( Hello to Sammy & Rochelle, all the other Chicagoans, and Wes and the group from DC )
Dinner was fantastic every night because you don't need reservations, anywhere.
We loved the Theater, and ended the night in the Alegria Bar (open until 1am)
The Health bar ( kind of a hidden treasure, near the Spa) Real fruit smoothies from 9 until 4pm. YUMMY!
I didn't make it to the Spa but everyone that did go, said they Loved it.
The only thing that went wrong was we had to call once because the maid hadn't been to the room yet by 5pm ( if you make a request with concierge your room will be cleaned at the exact time every day) I also got a few mosquito bites after dark ( next time I'll bring some OFF wipes just in case)
Overall, this hotel is amazing. For a romantic getaway, can't go wrong with this place, it may cost a little more but it's worth every penny!
GO BEARS!!!

Stayed February 2007
25 Thank BeachLove1999
Coquitlam, B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

My husband and I and another couple spent the week of January 20th to the 27th at Excellence Riviera. It's really nice when your hotel is only a 15 minute ride from the airport. That was a bonus!! Upon our arrival we were greated with friendly service, cool towels and a glass of champagne. We then proceeded to check in which went very smoothly and quickly as there was only the four of us checking in. We were then taken to our room and given a small tour on the way.

This is a five star resort and you do still have to remember that this is five star in Mexico. The rooms were really really nice. We love mexican decor and style so we loved the room. The bathroom is nice and big. The shower could fit 4 people and we did not have any problem with water temperature changing like other people did. We did notice a bit of a musty smell when we first walked into the room but we didn't seem to notice it after the first 10 minutes or so. But as I read this in other reviews I did bring 2 vanilla scented travel candles and it was nice to have that. Do remember to keep the drains in the sinks closed. You will notice that after your room is cleaned the staff will close the drains. Please take note, the toilet paper in your bathroom is baby powder scented. That is a nice touch. Remember to wear the little slippers they provide for you when getting out of the jacuzzi tub or shower as the marble floors get extremely slippery when wet.

The property is kept very clean and although I didn't find it as lush as other properties i've been to in the area it was still very nice. As i'm sure you've all read the beach isn't the best. I love a nice beach and love to swim in the ocean. But I knew what to expect from all the reviews I read so I wasn't disappointed. But the water is very cloudy and was quite rough but I did swim in it and it didn't make my time at Excellence any less enjoyable.

Now for the food! I've been to other all-inclusives and i've been on numerous cruises. I have never had food like this on a cruise or at any other all-inclusive. You have to remember that everyone has different tastes in food. What I like you may not. This is just my opinion but it might help some of you. The Grill was just what I would call o.k. We never made it to the Lobster House for dinner but for lunch it was nice. The shrimp cocktail was great, served in a coconut shell with cocktail sauce that had mango in it. Very good! Caesar salad was great! Served very differently than i've ever seen before. Chez Isabel was wonderful! The food and service were superb! Spice was great too. We ate there 3 nights! Oregano was great for lunch. If you go there remember you can go inside and get something from the buffet that is set up in Barcelona. They have sushi which was great! The pizza at Oregano was wonderful. We went to Toscano one night and I didn't enjoy any of my meal at all. But that is all personal preferrence.

All in all the trip was one to remember. We met another couple that live in our area but didn't really know and that was great. Although "he" and if "he" reads this "he" knows who "he" is. Well "he" got us all into the tequilla one night and that is as far as I will go! LOL
We also met a young couple from Chicago ,who were there on their honeymoon. Good luck Jen and Matt I think you guys will do great! If you read this send us an e-mail! I thought the staff were wonderful and I would love to come back to Excellence. I don't have much to say in the way of negatives other than I felt the room was very slow to get cleaned. I heard this from a few other people too. When you come home you will need to air your suitcases out. There was quite a smell in the luggage. I think some of it is from the hot humid climate. I just put my suitcases out in the cool air for a couple of days and I think that should take care of it.

I hope this helps anyone considering going to Excellence Riviera. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I think that Excellence has spoiled me now as I don't think I could go back to a normal all-inclusive where they have 2 restaurants that you can eat at 2 nights. I don't think I could go back to eating at buffets again for most meals. Now, my husband said he had a great time and would go back if we got a deal. He said he would not pay full price. BUT I WOULD! If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Carol/Coquitlam, B.C.

• Liked — Rooms were very quiet.
  • Disliked — Took too long for the rooms to get cleaned.
29 Thank franklinsmom2001
Mississauga, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2007

I just got back from ERC last Friday to sub zero temperatures in Toronto, I want to be back there!!!!

This was our honeymoon.

We arrived at the Cancun airport on January 19th and we were very lucky, our baggage was the first off and we walked outside to a nice surprise - our package included a private car to ERC. So we landed at 11:10AM and were checked in by 12noon.

What a wonderful welcome, we were offered champagne, cool towels and "Welcome Home". Front desk staff were wonderful to us and explained how things work. Bellman took us to our room and along the way gave us a wonderful tour.

Property: Outstanding - beautiful. I couldn't stop taking pictures.

Room: We were in building 7 - faced (2) pools and we had a side view of the ocean. The room was beautiful. I was amazed at the size of the shower - I told my husband that I want that size at home. Loved the double sinks and the toiletries that they offered. I didn't notice any musty smell but now that I'm home I'm finding that my clothes have a musty smell and I had to wash them a couple of times to get rid of that smell. Not a big deal. Also I found the beds very hard. Each morning I woke to a dull backache but the wonderful shower took care of that.

When we opened the door to our room there was 2 huge towel swans on the bed and rose petals scattered everywhere plus champage and a fruit basket.

Food: The restaurants are superb
Toscana (Italian) - try the Flambeed Bananas for Dessert
Chez Isabelle - Try the Chateaubriand & the Chicken Dish
The Grill - Best Filet Mignon we've ever had
Spice - Had the Sweet and Sour Pork (perfection)

We also ate lunch at The Grill - great hamburgers and quesadillas. Oregano also makes personal pan pizza's. The veggie pizza is delicious.

We never did try the Mexican, Mediterrean or Lobster House.

We also had Room Service one night - had club sandwiches and caesar salad that were excellent.

I must say every meal was excellent and I can't complain about anything.

Drinks: Corona - tastes much better in Mexico
Blue Hawaiian - my new favourite drink
After dinner/show drink - Bailey's on ice (they bring the bottle to you and pour you a very healthy shot right in front of you.

Pools - We hung out mainly at the Excellence Club pool which was heated. The first day we were at one of the unheated pools and it was a little too cool for my liking. At the Excellence Club pool we were taken care of by Amable (she is excellent, always smiling, she couldn't do enough for us. Even brought us lunch by the pool one day. We didn't have any problem get a float, they were always plentiful and people were very respectful about using them and then putting them back when finished.

Beach: It was fine. By other reviews I was expecting the worst. We were pleasantly surprised. It is plowed every day and the workers are always making sure it is clean. You may see some seeweed but very little. I thought the water was beautiful.

Shows: We enjoyed seeing the shows. The dancers put alot of heart and soul into their performances. The entertainment staff are a bunch of characters.

We didn't go on any excursions as we were both exhausted and wanted to recharge.

My new husband who doesn't like to travel really enjoyed this resort and I think we will go back for our 5 year anniversary.

This is the best resort I have ever stayed at and I can't wait to go back sometime soon.

Go and enjoy!!!!!!

• Liked — Service was outstanding - they just couldn't do enough for us.
  • Disliked — Beds - minor but I did find them to hard for my liking. My husband found them fine.
18 Thank Suev
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2007

We had a two week stay at the Excellence. It was the most memorable holiday we have taken! We did a lot of research on-line to ensure that we got the best and this hotel and their staff were it! Special mention to Louis at the front desk and Abimael at the martini bar and Leonardo at the Mexican restaurant....what great people. We could not fault one thing on our vacation!!! And that is remarkable! The food was fantastic. The service is outstanding. There are so many activities if you want to participate. There are fantastic shows every night. Relaxation is extreme! The spa is awesome and we took part in the circut. Our excursions were fabulous. All in all - we will be back for sure! Just a fantastic getaway from it all and a great place to connect with your loved one, enjoy with your friends, meet new friends....

• Liked — Luxurious
  • Disliked — Hard Pillows
13 Thank SASunlovers
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,582 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!