“Relaxation at Excellence”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed February 2, 2007

Just returned from a 5-night stay at ERC (Jan. 25-30). The main objective of our trip was relaxation and ERC certainly provided that.

1. FOOD - This was our first time at an all-inclusive and it was very nice to have the choice of many restaurants with no reservations necessary -- the 24-hr. room service was terrific - especially nice for breakfast as I'm not fond of having to get showered first thing for coffee. The food was delivered promptly (always within 1/2 hr). The restaurants located at the pool, The Grill and Lobster House, served good lunch-time fare. The service in The Grill on one occasion was horribly slow but we soon found out that the meals could be delivered either pool-side or beach-side so whe never bothered wasting precious sun time after that. The restaurants we chose to eat at for dinner, Toscana, Barcelona & Chez Isabelle, were average at best. The service, however, was great (especially Alfredo at Chez Isabelle). This just isn't a place to go if you're looking for great food -- but then again, at an AI we weren't really expecting it. In a nutshell, good breakfasts, good lunch, average dinners.

2. RESORT -- Very beautifully maintained! The meandering pools throughout were kept exceptionally clean and looked beautiful. The beach was much prettier than we anticipated having read prior reviews -- more than enough palapas and the sand was a powdery white. The water was warm enough for me band I was surprised there weren't more brave souls! Word of caution, if you decide to take a walk in either direction off the resort, it isn't so attractive -- beach has lots of debris. The swim-up bar at the main pool was alot of fun and people very friendly -- grab a drink and float around on the many floats provided.

3. SPA -- Wonderful! My husband I booked side-by-side massages (I, aromatherapy and he, deep tissue). Included in the price was a 1-hr. hydrotherapy circuit beforehand -- gets the blood flowing! A very relaxing experience and I'm glad we treated ourselves.

4. ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES -- Plenty of activities provided during the day if you wanted to participate -- we went to the tequila tasting which was fun and actually informative. No more tequila here unless it's 100% agave! You can really do as much or as little as you desire here. The band at the pool during the day was nice however the "shows" at night at the theatre are hokey. But you can just sit in one of the many comfy lounge chairs, have a drink and wait for the fun in the disco to begin at 11:00! The disco was fun and one night had Karaoke which was funny.

As we were there for only 5 days and mainly wanted to relax in the sun, we only spent one-day off-resort -- went down to Playa del Carmen and was pleasantly surprised by its New Orleans-like festive atmosphere -- we were glad we spent a little time there so we actually felt like we'd seen a bit of Mexico!

In short (or actually length!), this is a terrific place to get away from it all with your spouse or s.o. and enjoy the sun -- you'll have a great time.

21  Thank tonyandpatty
There are newer reviews for Excellence Riviera Cancun

Reviewed February 2, 2007

My boyfriend and I just spent a week at Excellence from Jan 18th to the 25th and had an amazing time! We are both very well traveled and ridiculously critical when it comes to the resorts we choose, and this is definately the best all-inclusive we've been to. We have stayed at Secrets Capri (also very nice but a little to quiet for us), the El Dorado Royal (boring with a bad beach), Riu Palace Las Americas(great location).
Excellence is exactly as it is described on their website, great rooms, Really great food (did they have to put a scale in the room?) and plenty to do.
The entertainment staff was fantastic, but did not pressure you to participate like some other resorts.
The bartenders were always happy and ready to serve. This was the one thing that stood out, they never "ran out" of the premium liquors. We made lots of new friends drinking shots of Don Julio Tequila. ( Hello to Sammy & Rochelle, all the other Chicagoans, and Wes and the group from DC )
Dinner was fantastic every night because you don't need reservations, anywhere.
We loved the Theater, and ended the night in the Alegria Bar (open until 1am)
The Health bar ( kind of a hidden treasure, near the Spa) Real fruit smoothies from 9 until 4pm. YUMMY!
I didn't make it to the Spa but everyone that did go, said they Loved it.
The only thing that went wrong was we had to call once because the maid hadn't been to the room yet by 5pm ( if you make a request with concierge your room will be cleaned at the exact time every day) I also got a few mosquito bites after dark ( next time I'll bring some OFF wipes just in case)
Overall, this hotel is amazing. For a romantic getaway, can't go wrong with this place, it may cost a little more but it's worth every penny!
GO BEARS!!!

Stayed: February 2007
25  Thank BeachLove1999
Reviewed February 2, 2007

My husband and I and another couple spent the week of January 20th to the 27th at Excellence Riviera. It's really nice when your hotel is only a 15 minute ride from the airport. That was a bonus!! Upon our arrival we were greated with friendly service, cool towels and a glass of champagne. We then proceeded to check in which went very smoothly and quickly as there was only the four of us checking in. We were then taken to our room and given a small tour on the way.

This is a five star resort and you do still have to remember that this is five star in Mexico. The rooms were really really nice. We love mexican decor and style so we loved the room. The bathroom is nice and big. The shower could fit 4 people and we did not have any problem with water temperature changing like other people did. We did notice a bit of a musty smell when we first walked into the room but we didn't seem to notice it after the first 10 minutes or so. But as I read this in other reviews I did bring 2 vanilla scented travel candles and it was nice to have that. Do remember to keep the drains in the sinks closed. You will notice that after your room is cleaned the staff will close the drains. Please take note, the toilet paper in your bathroom is baby powder scented. That is a nice touch. Remember to wear the little slippers they provide for you when getting out of the jacuzzi tub or shower as the marble floors get extremely slippery when wet.

The property is kept very clean and although I didn't find it as lush as other properties i've been to in the area it was still very nice. As i'm sure you've all read the beach isn't the best. I love a nice beach and love to swim in the ocean. But I knew what to expect from all the reviews I read so I wasn't disappointed. But the water is very cloudy and was quite rough but I did swim in it and it didn't make my time at Excellence any less enjoyable.

Now for the food! I've been to other all-inclusives and i've been on numerous cruises. I have never had food like this on a cruise or at any other all-inclusive. You have to remember that everyone has different tastes in food. What I like you may not. This is just my opinion but it might help some of you. The Grill was just what I would call o.k. We never made it to the Lobster House for dinner but for lunch it was nice. The shrimp cocktail was great, served in a coconut shell with cocktail sauce that had mango in it. Very good! Caesar salad was great! Served very differently than i've ever seen before. Chez Isabel was wonderful! The food and service were superb! Spice was great too. We ate there 3 nights! Oregano was great for lunch. If you go there remember you can go inside and get something from the buffet that is set up in Barcelona. They have sushi which was great! The pizza at Oregano was wonderful. We went to Toscano one night and I didn't enjoy any of my meal at all. But that is all personal preferrence.

All in all the trip was one to remember. We met another couple that live in our area but didn't really know and that was great. Although "he" and if "he" reads this "he" knows who "he" is. Well "he" got us all into the tequilla one night and that is as far as I will go! LOL
We also met a young couple from Chicago ,who were there on their honeymoon. Good luck Jen and Matt I think you guys will do great! If you read this send us an e-mail! I thought the staff were wonderful and I would love to come back to Excellence. I don't have much to say in the way of negatives other than I felt the room was very slow to get cleaned. I heard this from a few other people too. When you come home you will need to air your suitcases out. There was quite a smell in the luggage. I think some of it is from the hot humid climate. I just put my suitcases out in the cool air for a couple of days and I think that should take care of it.

I hope this helps anyone considering going to Excellence Riviera. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I think that Excellence has spoiled me now as I don't think I could go back to a normal all-inclusive where they have 2 restaurants that you can eat at 2 nights. I don't think I could go back to eating at buffets again for most meals. Now, my husband said he had a great time and would go back if we got a deal. He said he would not pay full price. BUT I WOULD! If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Carol/Coquitlam, B.C.

29  Thank franklinsmom2001
Reviewed February 1, 2007

I just got back from ERC last Friday to sub zero temperatures in Toronto, I want to be back there!!!!

This was our honeymoon.

We arrived at the Cancun airport on January 19th and we were very lucky, our baggage was the first off and we walked outside to a nice surprise - our package included a private car to ERC. So we landed at 11:10AM and were checked in by 12noon.

What a wonderful welcome, we were offered champagne, cool towels and "Welcome Home". Front desk staff were wonderful to us and explained how things work. Bellman took us to our room and along the way gave us a wonderful tour.

Property: Outstanding - beautiful. I couldn't stop taking pictures.

Room: We were in building 7 - faced (2) pools and we had a side view of the ocean. The room was beautiful. I was amazed at the size of the shower - I told my husband that I want that size at home. Loved the double sinks and the toiletries that they offered. I didn't notice any musty smell but now that I'm home I'm finding that my clothes have a musty smell and I had to wash them a couple of times to get rid of that smell. Not a big deal. Also I found the beds very hard. Each morning I woke to a dull backache but the wonderful shower took care of that.

When we opened the door to our room there was 2 huge towel swans on the bed and rose petals scattered everywhere plus champage and a fruit basket.

Food: The restaurants are superb
Toscana (Italian) - try the Flambeed Bananas for Dessert
Chez Isabelle - Try the Chateaubriand & the Chicken Dish
The Grill - Best Filet Mignon we've ever had
Spice - Had the Sweet and Sour Pork (perfection)

We also ate lunch at The Grill - great hamburgers and quesadillas. Oregano also makes personal pan pizza's. The veggie pizza is delicious.

We never did try the Mexican, Mediterrean or Lobster House.

We also had Room Service one night - had club sandwiches and caesar salad that were excellent.

I must say every meal was excellent and I can't complain about anything.

Drinks: Corona - tastes much better in Mexico
Blue Hawaiian - my new favourite drink
After dinner/show drink - Bailey's on ice (they bring the bottle to you and pour you a very healthy shot right in front of you.

Pools - We hung out mainly at the Excellence Club pool which was heated. The first day we were at one of the unheated pools and it was a little too cool for my liking. At the Excellence Club pool we were taken care of by Amable (she is excellent, always smiling, she couldn't do enough for us. Even brought us lunch by the pool one day. We didn't have any problem get a float, they were always plentiful and people were very respectful about using them and then putting them back when finished.

Beach: It was fine. By other reviews I was expecting the worst. We were pleasantly surprised. It is plowed every day and the workers are always making sure it is clean. You may see some seeweed but very little. I thought the water was beautiful.

Shows: We enjoyed seeing the shows. The dancers put alot of heart and soul into their performances. The entertainment staff are a bunch of characters.

We didn't go on any excursions as we were both exhausted and wanted to recharge.

My new husband who doesn't like to travel really enjoyed this resort and I think we will go back for our 5 year anniversary.

This is the best resort I have ever stayed at and I can't wait to go back sometime soon.

Go and enjoy!!!!!!

18  Thank Suev
Reviewed February 1, 2007

We had a two week stay at the Excellence. It was the most memorable holiday we have taken! We did a lot of research on-line to ensure that we got the best and this hotel and their staff were it! Special mention to Louis at the front desk and Abimael at the martini bar and Leonardo at the Mexican restaurant....what great people. We could not fault one thing on our vacation!!! And that is remarkable! The food was fantastic. The service is outstanding. There are so many activities if you want to participate. There are fantastic shows every night. Relaxation is extreme! The spa is awesome and we took part in the circut. Our excursions were fabulous. All in all - we will be back for sure! Just a fantastic getaway from it all and a great place to connect with your loved one, enjoy with your friends, meet new friends....

13  Thank SASunlovers
Reviewed February 1, 2007

The best hotel resort we've ever stayed in. We don't generally go back to places as there are far too many places in the world to see, but we are very tempted with this one. The moment we walked in, there was a WOW factor about the place and most certainly when we got to our room. The room was of the highest quality; 4 poster bed, sitting area, large bathroom, huge walk-in shower, jacuzzi bath in the room AND outside on the veranda! And a hammock on the veranda to relax in too. We had a ground floor room opposite the Spa, from where you could walk 10 paces and be in the lazy river that meanders its way around that part of the resort.
The location, right on a superb beach was brilliant, the sand was soft white, the bar service on the beach superb and mostly the large variety of restaurants there, were fantastic. The French restaurant however, stood out as being the absolute tops. Only there a week we tried all the restaurants. You can eat facing the sea under a thatched roof, providing it is too windy. There were 3 themed evenings in the short time we were there too. The breakfast buffet is to die for!! We found all the staff to be very friendly; their grip of English was superb and we had no problems at all apart from 7 days was too short at this superb resort hotel.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family
22  Thank Lipsock
Reviewed January 31, 2007

We returned to Excellence Riviera Cancun for 14 nights in January 2007, for a second time since it opened. We originally spent 14 nights two years ago exactly, in January 2005 when it was Secrets Excellence. That time we had a first floor room in the main hotel. This time we booked the same but asked our travel agent, the cost of an upgrade to the Excellence Club. We were quoted 1600.00 British pounds (over $3,100) plus extra for a sea view and a swim up room. We declined but contacted the hotel directly about a week before going and were quoted around 750 pounds for all three. We accepted! Be aware also that I spoke to a lady from NY who had paid around 50% more per night than us so rates for rooms seem to fluctuate dramatically.

I have to say it was quite nice having the swim up room but as the sun beds had no shade and little shelter, the outside area was useless in the sun and useless when it rained so we had about 1 hour late afternoon outside. The other extras within the club are:
1) The Club room with free internet. Usually one of the 3 computers was out of action and there was often a queue. I noticed no such queue at the “pay” computers in the lobby.
2) Four litres of alcohol in our room. We drank half of one but as the ice machine didn’t work in the hallway, since we had to order ice from room service, we found it just as easy to order the drinks too.
3) Fresh flowers. They died after day four and were not replaced
4) Fruit bowl (three apples)
5) Extended room service menu (not worth worrying about)

There were a few other perks such as separate check-in and timed room cleaning but to be honest we used virtually none of the extras. We felt that even at an extra 700.00 pounds (a fraction of the real cost) the club just wasn’t worth it.

Now with that out of the way, my other gripes are that:

1) The Asian Restaurant food was not a patch on the original one. The flavours tasted very commercial and the Japanese Teppanyaki which had been such a great piece of theatre the last time, was basically some food quickly cooked, mainly burned and put thrown on the plate together before the cook disappeared.

2) There is still a lack of both shelter and shade. If it rains, all the outside bars are out of use as there is no shelter around them so we were left with going to an indoor bar at the theatre area or the main Martini bar. It would have been fun if a sheltered area around each of the outside bars could be created so we could just continue to sit up at the bar until the rain passed. There is also little sunshade. None by the ground floor rooms, and only a sprinkle of fixed ones around the pools. At the Excellence Club pool, all the shaded areas had towels on them before 7.00am and they stayed there all day whether people used them or not. This is poor poolside management reminiscent of a budget hotel in Spain. We spent a number of mornings in our room waiting until the cooler afternoon as there was no shade.

3) The inclusive house wines are OK, not great, but OK. I like my wine and would have paid the extra to buy a better one but the rates were nothing short of horrendous. Even a bottle that would be around 4.00 pounds ($8.00) at home was an extra $40.00 there. I, like everyone else, stuck to the inclusive wines.

Now with my whinging out of the way, I can still say that the hotel is immaculate, the staff in general. are superb (with the exception of Omar in La Toscana who was so bad mannered that I was tempted to complain but with everyone else being so nice, I let it go) and the hygiene is absolutely superb.

If anyone reading this is in doubt about the hotel, don’t be. I think the main thing is that the hotel is so good that the few things that I didn’t like really got on my nerves. When a hotel is almost as good as it can be, you just want it to go that extra mile and be perfect. No one that we spoke to was unhappy with the hotel. Maintenance of the gardens is beautiful and if you report any fault, someone is at your door in minutes.

I am happy to answer any personal questions if anyone has any queries but regardless of my moaning above, if in doubt – just go!!

Ian Hamilton, Edinburgh, Scotland.
ian@kewhouse.com

#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!