“Excellent & Exceptional”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
chicago
“Excellent & Exceptional”
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Oh I would love to tell you all about it, but I will run out of space and time.

It was our first trip to Mexico from states, we usually travel to Spain, Turkey and other European resorts(since we used to leave in Europe for a long time), but this time we wanted something close to states, without any time changes. The flight was only 3 hours from Chicago and we were offered transportation right way, which was arranged earlier. It took only about 25 min to get to hotel.

Before going there, I did spent a lot of time reading reviews and comparing all inclusive, adults only resorts at Riviera Maya, so I was a bit skeptical after reading some of them about this place. I wanted to make sure our trip unforgettable, since we were also going to get married there. And we weren't disappointed!

First of all, our ceremony was beautiful. Ramon-wedding coordinator did a pretty good job arranging everything. Our photographer Mauricio Clayton and the guy that filmed everything (I don't remember his name, but he did remembered to add music to dvd that I asked for!:) were fun to work with and we have beautiful pictures and dvd for memories, thanks to them.

Food and the service were exceptional as well. You have a choice of 8 different restaurants. We didn't really care for Mexican food, so that was the only one place that we didn't visit. But resort did a huge outdoor mexican buffet night event, when we could taste authentic mexican food while listening to mariachi music. We really enjoyed dinning at Lobster house, Grill was good too, as well as French and Spice with asian food (except sushi there).

Entertainment was available for you every day. I thing that was neat. You would get the list/schedule of different option every day including yoga, tennis lessons, beach volleyball, games, shows, concerts etc, so you just can choose whatever you feel like doing. If you don't feel doing anything you can always socialize by main pool, or if you prefer to stay in a quiet spot by pool, you can find that it as well.
We had to problems finding towels or available chairs on the beach or by pools, though maybe because our morning were starting pretty late around 12 pm:)

For those who is interested in running, there is a lane to run around the resort or a lot of people was running by the ocean (the sand is really easy to run on). I regret that I didn't bring my running shoes, because somebody mentioned in reviews that there is no space for that. Not true! And gym is really spacious and well equipped as well.

I have to mention also resorts spa Mille. It was truly an oasis of natural luxury, that I just absolutely loved. Thank you Karen, for helping to make my wedding day and me, beautiful and special.

There were no bugs on resort (it might be different if you are traveling during another time of the year) or smell in the room (we stayed at building number 6). We had little ants in the room though, that I sprayed with my bug spray and they have disappeared:)

Defiantly recommend that place to everybody. I was concerned about the age of people who were staying at resort when I read reviews. But it was a great balanced mix from 20 something to 60's. Mostly travelers from States and Canada as well as a few British visitors.

1 Thank spulka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,746)
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I am a Travel Agent. And I'm very late with this review. My husband and I stayed at this resort from December 25- January 2nd. We wanted to spend Xmas and Newyears on the beach. And we got much more than that. It was 87 degrees on Xmas day. They had a beautiful New years dinner party too. Thats was included in our stay. They have some the best all-inclusive food. NO reservations needed. It was like a dream. We got the quality time we very much needed. They have nightly entertainment, live bands, awesome spa, 24 hour room service, pool & beach service and top shelf liquor. Did I say a Lobster House restaurant with the best fish tacos and of course lobster. I was just sitting at my desk thinking about this place and remembered I need to tell someone. You! lol If you have any questions feel free to email me [--]

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rsteno
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed April 20, 2010

My wife and I just returned from our stay at the Excellence Riviera Cancun resort. We joined my sister and new brother-in-law on their honeymoon from 4/14 - 4/19. All I can say is - WOW! This resort is top notch, and I see no reason to look anywhere else!

This was our 2nd all-inclusive experience, our first being at the Sandals Grande St. Lucian a year ago for our own honeymoon. I will make comparisons throughout. I will say now that I am VERY happy we went to Sandals first and Excellence second. We loved our experience at Sandals but had nothing to compare against. Had it been the other way around, we would not have enjoyed our Sandals stay nearly as much.

The trip from the airport to the resort is only about 20 minutes. We used Olympus Tours booked through Cheapcarribean.com - both were a pleasure to deal with!

Check in was a breeze. We were greeted with the complimentary champagne toast, etc. and our bags were taken up to our room. The resort is BREATHTAKING! Very modern without being sterile or cold. The lobby is a sight to behold.

We went straight to our room and our jaws dropped when we walked in. The room was 100 times nicer than the room we had a Sandals. I should note that we had a standard room at the Excellence; no upgrade, etc. At Sandals, we upgraded to a 'Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse Concierge Room' which is basically a fancy name and not much else. Some key features of the rooms at Excellence:

*Hot tub standard in EVERY room (how can Sandals call themselves a couples resort and not have this??? shame on them!)
*Beautiful walk in shower with adjustable shower head, built in bench
*Completely tiled, stunning architecture
*24 hour room service with an extensive menu - STANDARD! (again, we had to book a concierge room at Sandals to get this, and the menu wasn't even as big)

We did not experience hot/cold fluctuations with the shower as some other reviewers have mentioned. My only critiques would be that the beds are very hard, and I LIKE firm beds. You might sleep better on a rock! I personally would have liked the bathroom to be completely separate (it's sort of built-in to the room), but this is just personal preference.

The resort is immaculate. Super clean, manicured, just beautiful! They work very hard to keep this place pristine. It's a relatively large resort and there are all sorts of nooks and crannies to 'get lost' in. I had a hard time at first with the layout and found it to be a bit confusing, but eventually figured it out. This is actually good though, because you really get to 'explore' the resort when you're lost and wandering around trying to get back to the lobby!

Pools - there is water all over this resort! I guess it's really just a few pools, but they are HUGE! The lazy river is wonderful with a current that carries you along, around twists and turns, under bridges, etc. My only critique here is that the pools aren't heated and can be a bit cold. It rained our first few days there and this could have had something to do with it. In the summer months, they're probably fine. However, I think one major upgrade would be to heat the pools - the pools at Sandals were heated and people were ALWAYS in them.

This resort has SO MANY chairs, huts, etc. it's unbelievable! It seemed like we were always fighting for a place to sit at Sandals; never a problem at Excellence. Also, the chairs were very comfortable, and a lot of spots offered 'straw roofs' for shade. Another MAJOR KEY FEATURE for us is that the staff walks around all day taking drink orders! This service was non-existent at Sandals. You'll just be lounging by a pool and somebody will come up to take your order. They always got it right, were quick and did it with a smile. PLEASE tip a dollar here and there; they work so hard and don't make much money.

Bars - 10 bars on this resort! You will basically walk around and run into a bar everywhere! Drinks were made in typical resort (sort of weak) fashion; just order your drink with a shot and problem solved! Bartenders were friendly and will make whatever you want. Ask them to make you something special and sit back and enjoy! Bars were opened late - the bars at Sandals were closed by 9pm. WTF is that???

Restaurants - 8 on the resort, all unique!

The Barcelona - has an amazing breakfast buffet every morning and that was always our choice. If you can't find what you want at this buffet, I don't know what you could possibly be eating! Food was not 'cheap' buffet style either - everything was fresh and nicely displayed. 2 omelette stations, every kind of juice and pastry you can think of. Separate station just for Mimosso's. This restaurant also has a lunch buffet which we did almost every day - very good choice of foods and a wonderful dessert layout. For dinner, it becomes an a la carte Mediterranean restaurant, but we didn't have dinner here.

Spice - Thai a la carte, Japanese Hibachi all in one! This was our favorite place - we ate the Thai once, and did the Hibachi twice! You MUST try the Hibachi - the show is great and the food is excellent! Be careful with the Sake; I had to go back the 2nd time because I could barely remember the meal from the first time around!

The Lobster House - we had a 'dinner before dinner' here while we were waiting for the Hibachi. The menu was small, but the food was pretty good.

The Grill - Typical Steakhouse menu - burgers, steaks, etc. I wanted to go here for dinner but we didn't get to. We did go for lunch and it was just ok. However, the location of the restaurant is BEAUTIFUL! It's outdoors (but covered) and is surrounded by one of the pools!

Agave - Mexican fare, but we unfortunately didn't get to eat here. Next year for sure!

Chez Izabelle - Classic French Cuisine - VERY nice menu, food was very good! You have to eat here one night for sure! Service was excellent also!

There is a small pizzaria but we didn't get the chance to check it out. Next time!

Toscana - Italian, very good! Loved the salad! Worth spending a night here.

Nightlife and Entertainment - They put on a wonderful different show every night! They have a 'theater' and stage section in the lobby which is great! They did a Cirque De Sole' type show one night, international music and dancing another, and so on. Nightlife at Sandals was non-existent. Maybe closing bars at 9pm had something to do with that?
They have a nightclub which is decent with a live DJ and different themes each night. We checked it out one night and it was pretty good.
The theater area during the day always had something going on. One early evening they even did casino night, where they brought out tables and you could gamble, etc. Each day they had a big buffet which went on for hours - nachos, burgers, fries, etc. Very nice!

Spa - ok, this one is key. I'm one of those people who never would have paid the extra $300 for a spa treatment. My wife FINALLY convinced (or nagged?) me to do it, and i'm glad she did. It was EXQUISITE!!! 1 hour of hydro therapy (sauna, steam room, various water pressure massages, etc) followed by a 50 minute full body massage and a 50 minute facial. You really get the treatment here - you never feel rushed or anything. When your finished, they have a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for you. These girls were GREAT and definitely know what they're doing! Well worth it.

Staff - They were always friendly and courteous. The least accomodating was the front desk - we asked to move our room (to be closer to our friends) and they smiled and said there was nothing else available although i'm pretty sure there was. It didn't matter though, after 10 minutes in our room we didn't want to move anymore! Everybody always greeted you with a 'Hola!' and a smile. Housekeeping was there twice a day, in the mid-morning to clean, and in the evening for turn-down service. They were consistent with time.

Beach - this is more about location and less about the resort, but the beach at Sandals (the Carribean in general) is much nicer. The ocean water here wasn't dirty per se, but filled with seaweed and it gave the appearance of black water. The beach itself was nice with very fine white sand. We saw only 1 vendor on the beach selling sunglasses, and he never approached us. This was a relief from what I dealt with at Sandals, where every day the same 5-6 Rasta's were sitting there ALL day calling you over, bothering people, even asking to get them water or a beer. Sandals needs to do something about that!

They have a business center with free high speed internet so you can check the weather (or your facebook account!) and coffee - more like a little internet cafe.

Fitness center was small but decent - had everything you need for a full body workout.

All in all, this resort is TOP NOTCH and I can't think of anything else to ask for. I would not give up their great service and grounds for the few small things (softer bed, heated pools, etc) that weren't perfect. It comes down to all the little things they do which make it special - like cleaning out sand ashtrays and 'stamping' them with the Excellence logo. Just a nice touch which people appreciate. The Excellence training program must be special, because they are doing something right here. We will DEFINITELY go here again, in fact I see no reason to look anywhere else. We might try the Excellence in Punta Cana just to visit a different country. If you're looking to stay in Mexico at an upscale adults only resort, you are JIPPING yourself and taking second best if you pass on the Excellence Riviera Cancun.

4 Thank GeorgeB75
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed April 19, 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary at the Excellence Resort. All the reviews were right on!!. The service and food was out of this world! The only disappointment was the weather(rare occasion), however, Alex, Janet, and the rest of the entertainment staff at the excellence resort made even the gloomy days exciting and fun. From the live entertainment to the off site bike tour, and beach volleyball it truly was a fun and exciting trip.
The variety of high quality cuisine from the French ''Chez Isabell to the Mediteranean 'Barcelona' was exquisite. I would definitely recommend settling your dinner with a traditional Mexican Coffee in the Martini Bar. This was entertainment all on its own watching it being made.
Our quiet time was spent wondering the wonderful colorful lush gardens and pristine beaches.
Rooms were spacious,comfortable and fitting for a 5 star hotel. We had a swim up room with our own private hot tub on the deck, just a few steps from one of the many pools.
This experience was truly the perfect way for us to remember our ten years of marriage and we would recommended the Excellence Riviera Cancun to anyone looking for a quality hotel, with all the amenities supported by friendly, customer service oriented people.
You will not be dissapointed!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank eley864
Jersey Shore
Reviewed April 19, 2010

My mother and I visited Excellence in April. Being the resort does not allow children under 18, most of the guests were couples. But for good reason, the resorts' accommodations and services are perfect for newlyweds and couples. One thing to note, there is not a lot of privacy in the suite for changing, etc.

The staff was exceptional and always pleasant. The food was very good and I suppose it could be considered excellent in Mexico standards. If you want really, really exceptional service, leave a couple dollars as a tip for the waiters, etc. One of our waiters left us for a more 'distinguised' couple one of the nights. I'm sure for the tip.

We had a couple issues with booking excursions through the resort. We were talked into going scuba diving instead of snorkeling, took a scuba lesson in the pool, and then were under the impression that the instructor was also going to be on the boat with us when we did the actual dive. He wasn't there and since I was fearful of the water but felt comfortable with the instructor, I stayed in the boat and didn't go in the water. I guess that was my own fault. We went swimming with the dolphins which was absolutely fantastic and the highlight of my trip. No problems there. The horseback riding trip that we wanted to go on was supposably not available but were told another trip with zip lining (already did this in Alaska....really cool but not in the Mexican jungle) was available. We came back the next day, spoke to a different person and the horseback riding trip we wanted was available and was not full at any point. Hmmm.... Anyhow, the horseback riding on the beach was truly worth it. It poured down rain the day we had Tulum Express excursion booked, canceled it, and were told that it wouldn't be a problem getting a refund. When we checked out, it was still on our credit card. Hopefully they'll take care of the credit. Since the sun came out a bit a little later in the day, we rented a car through the service at the hotel (Budget?) and drove to Tulum. It was great and highly recommended. I'm glad that we didn't go on the tour since having our own car allowed us to stay there a little longer. By the way, the car rental clerk took $30 cash and placed the balance of $70 on my credit card. I have a strange feeling that he overcharged me and took the $30 as a tip! Not 100% sure though.

With regard to the food. These are the restaurants that we ate at:

Spice - This Asian restaurant was excellent and was my favorite meal of the trip. I believe there was a short wait (1/2 hour) every night to be seated but it was worth it.

Lobster House - Although this is an outside restaurant with great views, the food was medicore. The lobster was good but they claimed that they didn't have any drawn butter. A couple we ran into later said they had gotten some drawn butter.

The Grill - This one was hit or miss. First night I had filet mignon and it was overdone and fatty, the second time I went it was great. The veggy sides were good.

Tuscana - This was my second favorite restaurant. The shrimp and scallops were delightful and the side of pasta was a nice treat. But you may want to stay away from the red sauce if your used to US pasta sauce. The sauce, in my opinion (I'm Italian), was terrible.

Mediterrean - They serve a nice breakfast and lunch buffet at this restaurant every day. The selections of various foods were very good. We didn't go there for dinner.

We didn't try the Mexican, French or Pizza restaurant but heard they were all good.

The alcoholic beverages were plentiful and the Martini Bar in the main building was a great place to relax and meet new friends.

Also worth mentioning is the business center - great for checking e-mails. The nightly shows were high class and the stores were OK.

Overall, we went there to see the local sights, do a little relaxing, and having someone take care of us for a change. This resort lived up to all of my expectations and I'd highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank WaterfallsLover
Wales

..but I'll try..

From the moment I was greeted in the lobby with a big grin and the words "Welcome Home" from the concierge and handed a glass of cold, bubbly champagne I knew I was at some place very special indeed.

I was taken aback by the sheer beauty of the place and could feel myself getting giddy as we were taken on a mini tour by the hotel porter en route to our room. The place is absolutely huge and has meandering swimming pools laced throughout the complex.

I don't even know where to begin to really describe the place and I'm sure to leave out loads of amazing things but there plenty of other reviews to read to get an even better idea.

To try and help you decide whether or not to go here, this place is for people who:

1) Want to relax
2) Be treated like royalty
3) Don't want any children running around screaming
4) Want a true, high quality and premium all-inclusive
5) Want a great beach
6) Want great food
7) Want the best holiday of their lives

I read almost every review on here before visiting the Excellence and feel like I need to address some of the negative reviews.

With regards to the musty room - I have no idea what people are talking about, perhaps some rooms have this problem, but mine did not. What I seemed to have gathered from negative reviews were that the musty rooms seemed to be on the ground floor, so I suppose you should ask for a room that is not on the ground floor.

With regards to the shower changing temperature - I also did not have this problem although one reviewer said not to have the shower all the way to hot or on full blast - which I did and never encountered a problem. I had a lovely shower every single day with no problems.

Ok, so lets talk about the positives people talk about.

The Rooms - The room was great. I had a standard 2nd floor junior suite. All the rooms have TVs and jacuzzis and the maids keep it really tidy and clean. They mop and sweep the floor, top up the mini bar and change your towels daily. They also give a turn down service in the evening so you come back to a freshly made room and topped up towels at night after having a nice meal and few drinks.

The Beach - The beach is wonderful, yes, seaweed washes up onto the shore, but there is a tractor that comes past and picks it up in the morning and the staff pick it up every day also. Trust me, it's really nice. If I had to find fault with the beach set up was that the sun loungers on the beach are really quite uncomfortable. The poolside ones have a cusion and I could have slept on them for weeks, but on the beach, they are very uncomfortable.

The pool/s - They are very well kept and very clean. There are loads and loads of them too. The lazy river is awesome and you are provided with floats so you can slowly drift around in the sun.

The bars - the bars are great and offer premium drinks from around the world, you can have your drinks as strong or as weak as you like. I read one reviewer mention that the drinks were watered down which is absolute nonsense. Have a few straight JD's on the rocks or a couple shots of zambuca and you'll soon see they are 100% pure. My favourite bar was the Martini bar and Humbrado

The Restaurants - They are exceptionally good and especially for all-inclusive. My favourite restaurants were Spice (Asian - have the private cooking session), Chez Isabelle (French - the Chateau Briand steak cut like butter) and the lobster house. I wouldn't recommend the mexican restaurant though - the food in there was a little bland.

The Staff - the staff make the place was it is. They are so friendly and nothing is too much for them. What I loved about this place compared with other all-inclusives I've been to was that they did not expect a tip. You could go through your whole holiday without giving a tip and I don't think your service would falter because of it. I did give tips because I personally felt they deserved it. If you want tip money, you can change your pesos or dollar bills at reception so you have a stash of single bills to reward as you please.

I could go on talking about how amazing all the little things are and go into more detail but I'd be here forever.

To conclude - You need to stop reading all these reviews and just book a week or two here right now. Trust me, you will not be dissapointed. This is the best hotel I've stayed at and the best holiday ever.

12 Thank thisisthelife21
New Jersey
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Had a swim up Junior suites in building 7- everything was right there- loved it and did not mind the noise-never lasted late.

Food was good-BurgerShack wasgreatforlunch-Roomservice breakfast-excellent- bed comfortableandclean.

Never had alack of toiletries-sometimes hand towelsand wash clothes-whoppie!

We did have a bit of a glitch at check in-but I refused toaccept it and they somehow accomodated us-all in one building. We had 3 couplesand they had 2 in 7 and 1 in 4-of course I wasin 4- andtoldthem it was unacceptable. They got us in 7with a bottle of champagne and fruit waiting.

We had food delivered one evening -hot tub-porch party and the service was great !

All bartenderswas awesome and alwayssmiling!!

Did not get to French Restaurant-having 6 people we had a hard time getting a reservation...oh well next time! Spice was my favorite!

Did not use Spa-but friends did and loved it!

All bars were good-top shelf and good pours- Martini Bar-above all favorite!!!

Pool,beach,entertainment all great! Met couples from Ohio and Philadelphia-everyone loved it!

We will be back!!!

#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!