From the moment we stepped off the shuttle, we were treated like royalty. Fresh washcloths that smelled of lavender were handed to us after our 8-hour flight. As soon as we put the washcloths down, champagne was given to us on a silver platter. We turned around to get our luggage but we were too late – taken care of. Check-in was fast and efficient and we never saw a mention of timeshare peddlers.
The room was beautiful, well laid out and had a great view of the spa and lazy river. We found the bed to be quite comfortable and had no problems sleeping whatsoever. The bathroom was large and perfect for two people and the patio was a nice addition.
French – exquisite
Steakhouse – fantastic (Josh’s favorite)
Lobster House – my favorite by far
Japanese – mind-blowing
Mediterranean – meh, not my favorite. Mediocre, not bad.
Italian – great place to snack for lunch. Smaller portions, kind of Olive Garden quality which means edible but not the greatest thing you’ll put in your mouth.
I’d say dinners are always superb and breakfast and lunch are just “good”.
The service is absolutely the best part of this place. I’ve been a lot of places but none have been able to touch the service at Excellence Riviera.
The bars were great and we always got tasty drinks right when we wanted them from smiling service staff. The hotel grounds are phenomenal.
Down sides: nightly entertainment and seaweed ladened beach with jellyfish hiding within the leaves.
The beach itself was gorgeous and we spent everyday on it under those hut umbrellas they have set up. We LOVED it but were disappointed when we couldn’t swim in the ocean without either being stung or having to wade through copious amounts of seaweed. They tried to keep it clean and did sweeps of the surf often, but there is just too much to keep up with.
As for the nightly entertainment – people lip-synching to bad music, poorly while dancing even worse. When they had live bands they were actually pretty good, just not the dancers.
If you do one excursion: swim with whale sharks. It’s empowering and humbling all at once. The guides are incredible, educational and funny.
I loved this vacation and this resort so much, I’m taking my mother for her “mile-stone” birthday this year to Excellence Punta Cana.
Oh and the fact that it’s adults-only and seams to draw a more European crowd is a total win too.
Bonus - it was both of our birthdays on this trip and they went above and beyond to make us feel special :)
This place is almost perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos