“There's Nothing Better”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Portland, Oregon
“There's Nothing Better”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

From the moment we stepped off the shuttle, we were treated like royalty. Fresh washcloths that smelled of lavender were handed to us after our 8-hour flight. As soon as we put the washcloths down, champagne was given to us on a silver platter. We turned around to get our luggage but we were too late – taken care of. Check-in was fast and efficient and we never saw a mention of timeshare peddlers.
The room was beautiful, well laid out and had a great view of the spa and lazy river. We found the bed to be quite comfortable and had no problems sleeping whatsoever. The bathroom was large and perfect for two people and the patio was a nice addition.
Restaurants:
French – exquisite
Steakhouse – fantastic (Josh’s favorite)
Lobster House – my favorite by far
Japanese – mind-blowing
Mediterranean – meh, not my favorite. Mediocre, not bad.
Italian – great place to snack for lunch. Smaller portions, kind of Olive Garden quality which means edible but not the greatest thing you’ll put in your mouth.
I’d say dinners are always superb and breakfast and lunch are just “good”.
The service is absolutely the best part of this place. I’ve been a lot of places but none have been able to touch the service at Excellence Riviera.
The bars were great and we always got tasty drinks right when we wanted them from smiling service staff. The hotel grounds are phenomenal.
Down sides: nightly entertainment and seaweed ladened beach with jellyfish hiding within the leaves.
The beach itself was gorgeous and we spent everyday on it under those hut umbrellas they have set up. We LOVED it but were disappointed when we couldn’t swim in the ocean without either being stung or having to wade through copious amounts of seaweed. They tried to keep it clean and did sweeps of the surf often, but there is just too much to keep up with.
As for the nightly entertainment – people lip-synching to bad music, poorly while dancing even worse. When they had live bands they were actually pretty good, just not the dancers.
If you do one excursion: swim with whale sharks. It’s empowering and humbling all at once. The guides are incredible, educational and funny.
I loved this vacation and this resort so much, I’m taking my mother for her “mile-stone” birthday this year to Excellence Punta Cana.
Oh and the fact that it’s adults-only and seams to draw a more European crowd is a total win too.
Bonus - it was both of our birthdays on this trip and they went above and beyond to make us feel special :)
This place is almost perfect!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Active_Travel_Chick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,746)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed April 5, 2010

At 8 am this morning I awoke in my bed to the sounds of a neighbour chipping wood with his very loud woodchipper in his back yard. Yup, my vacation is sadly over! Compare this to the luxury that I enjoyed over the past week when I would awake in our room at the Excellence Riviera Cancun resort, open our curtains and awe at the idyllic panorama that presented itself each and every morning. Everything is set to gentle at this resort. Although there was some live music,(mid-day and the larger, central pool where there was more of a social atmosphere), the most raucous it got was band playing a few Bob Marley tunes, the reggae beat keeping time with the gentle crashing of the surf. No, this is not a resort to party at, and while not monastic it is certainly allows the soul to rest and recoup.
My husband and I have gone to the Caribbean yearly over the past 10 years. We have been lucky enough to have been 'bumped up' to some 5+ star resorts, (normally out of our price range), for example Paradisis Palma Real in Punta Cana and RIU Palace Las Americas in Cancun. These resorts were unbelievably luxurious and well appointed; champagne breakfasts, delicious food, beautiful, clean rooms, excellent entertainment and very good service. But I must report that we enjoyed similar—if not superior—luxury at Excellence Riviera Cancun. What sets Excellence Riviera Cancun apart from these other luxurious resorts though was the calm, almost Zen-like atmosphere. Everything was very pleasant, relaxing and serene; there was never a feeling of being overcrowded at this resort. Thanks to the resort's design there are distinctive sections surrounded by lush gardens leaving you with the feeling of seclusion and privacy. For the more adventurous there was a more social scene, closer to the beach, a larger pool, with a swim up bar and activities such as water volleyball, aquacise. But there was never any of that annoying throbbing club music or loud yelling of partiers. Personally, my idea of a resort vacation is to be poolside with a good book and several pina colodas and Excellence provided the calm and relaxing atmosphere that I so desperately desired.
I know that this is quite a long winded review but I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the unbelievable service we received from the staff while we were there. Fast service in the restaurants, servers who anticipated your needs,(at breakfast immediate coffee refills, if you drop a fork there is a mad rush to provide you with a fresh one), and poolside drinks arrived quickly. The staff's was English was quite acceptable, (we found out later from a bartender that the resort provides its employees with language education), and what was most impressive was that the staff were obviously very happy to be working there.
I would like to provide just one example of the exceptional service we received from the staff that should illustrate my point. We noticed that our bathroom scale in the room was not working, (not a big problem, but we wanted an accurate scale to weigh our luggage before we returned to Canada because on the way down to Mexico we were dinged handsomely at the airport for being over our luggage weight restriction). On our way back from breakfast we stopped at the front desk, reported this very minor situation to the receptionist and returned directly to our room. Upon arriving at our room, there at our door was a staff member waiting with a new scale for us!! Unbelievable! We were a couple of Canadian gringos completely agog!
Also I would like to put in a good word about the spa. I would not usually purchase any spa services because I feel that they can be a little pricey, and to be frank when I have used the spa services at other resorts I found them a little bit lacking. But without hesitation we would strongly recommend the Excellence spa to those who are world weary who need to recharge their batteries. I had the 2 hour Excellence massage and although at first I felt a little quilt about spending that much money for it, (I paid $120 USD), I would soon realized that it was worth every penny!!! I was led through the water therapy portion of the massage which was fabulous but then the actual massage that included aroma therapy, shiatsu and Swedish elements, I think removed about 2 years of accumulated stress which, believe me--as an ICU nurse--is a lot of stress!!
In summation, words fail me when trying to express how very exceptional this resort was. We all need those moments in our lives when we can leave the stress of the work world behind, relax, renew our relationships and appreciate the beauty and qualities of a new place. If this is what you have in mind when it comes to a vacation, do yourself a favour and pack your bags and head off to Excellence Riviera Cancun!!

3 Thank Lee L
new york
Reviewed April 5, 2010

First off, if you haven't booked your vacation yet - STOP HERE!! Look at the Excellence's sister resort down the road, Playa Mujeres, because after having stayed at both I can tell you Playa Mujeres is much newer and nicer than Riviera Cancun (even though both are still way above any other resort in Mexico)!! But if you are going to the Riviera anyways, read on:

Since there have been so many reviews on the good/bad, I thought I would just add my two cents in about whether or not you should book the Excellence Club (EC) or not.

After having done both the EC and Non-EC, I would say it ultimately boils down to this: If you are a beach bum and spend >75% on the beach = Book EC!

If you don't mind lounging at one of the many pools and doing the beach ~50% of the time= Don't bother booking EC!

I could go on about the other "perks" of EC but they are not really different than the Non-EC side. For example:

Drinks: Unless you are a heavy drinker and need huge bottles of Tequila in your room, the mini-bars on the Non-EC side are just fine. The one "special" EC bar isn't any different than the others, still only one bartender, and the drinks tasted the same.

Internet: There is Internet in your EC room but it's not wireless, you need to ask for a cord. But who is online that much in paradise anyways ?

EC Club Lounge: Very small, and it's an office so it's not really a place to "hang out" during the day while people are busy working away at their desks. There is food in there which is nice, but is it worth the extra money when room service in your room is free...?

Room Service Menu: Yes, it is much longer on the EC side. But we found out you can order it from the Non-EC side anyways -- just ask!

Check-in/Check-out: EC offers private check-in and out, but it's more like you just have to walk further to a different counter. Both EC and Non-EC people get champagne and hand towels, and there will be a wait since there are only 2 people at the EC desks also. Plus, we had an early flight out and the EC office wasn't even open. The bellmen serve both EC/Non-EC so the only difference is who you say "Goodbye" to at the counter.

It may sound like the EC side isn't worth it, but I'm not trying to say that! :) If the above-mentioned things are worth the $$ to you, then by all means - Splurge!

The point is, the Excellence Riviera is so amazing that we went back this year and decided to try out the EC. I am a beach person so I felt that the quiet and way more private side was well worth the extra $1000 for the week. However, if you are not really a beach person (and they do have plenty of quiet, private pools), or a big drinker, then you won't be disappointed by doing the Non-Excellence Club.

Hope this review helps!!

13 Thank kieangel
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed April 3, 2010

I am writing this quick review as I sit in the business centre at the Excellence Riviera waiting for my ride to take me and my wife back to the airport. All other reviews seem to be extremely accurate as it pertains to the quality of food, service and hospitality.

So, rather than be redundant, I thought I would write the top ten tips you may want to know when you visit this fabulous resort...

1. All restaurants are great. If you wish to see the oriental cooking display at the Spice restaurant you need to reserver your place at the the table by 6pm for the 7pm dinner. It fills up quickly so be on time to reserve.

2. There are many chairs available by the pools or on the beach around the resort. There is really no need to scrounge for a chair early in the morning... unless you really want to.

3. Try the drink-of-the-day every day. You will not be disappointed.

4. Here is a telephone tip... if you have the latest ipod touch then download the free skype application to use with the wireless service in the lobby. With skype you will be able to call any land line in North America for free (or a small fee of a few cents). I used this system when I was here to connect with the family back in Canada and I used about 25 cents of skype credits. Much cheaper than calling with a cell phone or a calling card!

5. Tipping is not mandatory but the service is really outstanding. My wife and I had lunch delivered to the quiet pool and we tipped the service guy $5 when he delivered the food to our lounge chairs... outstanding!

6. The Excellence Burger at the grill is outstanding! Definitely one of the best I have had...

7. You can order a Filet Mignon with your lobster at the Lobster restaurant even though it is not on the menu. I did... it was fantastic.

8. The Snorkeling Adventure package is the best one offered. You can buy it from Mary in the Lobby. It offers three snorkeling locations and a free lunch for just $80 per person. Well worth the money when you consider the others were $40 or more for just 40 minutes (one location).

9. The cab ride to Cancun and Playa del Carmen cost the same at $35 USD each way. Find some friends and share the fare. We did... it worked out great.

10. If your shower seems cool to you, then turn the handle to the middle (between hot and cold) or even slightly to the cold indicator. We had hot water for as long as we wanted...

That is all I can think of... gotta catch the ride! Have a great stay at Excellence Riviera!

19 Thank SteverCalgary
Reviewed April 3, 2010

We stayed from March 18th – 25th. We stayed in Excellence Club building 7 and our room number was 7155 on the second floor. I had requested a 4th floor room, both at the time of booking as well as by email directly to the resort 2 days prior to our arrival, and received a response stating that our room would be assigned to us on arrival subject to availability. I was a little surprised when our driver pulled up to the security front gate and the gate guy informed our driver what our room number was! Having done all the research I had, I knew this would be a second floor room. A little disappointed, but oh well… we were happy to finally be there!

We were greeted with the sparkling wine and towels as we waited outside for our Excellence Club bellhop to take us and our luggage on a little tour to the Excellence Club lounge to check-in. I didn’t dispute the room location at all upon checking-in, again, I was just super-happy to be there. We were also informed that our room would have two beds. Didn’t bother us, I almost cheered!! We each had our own bed lol! Our room wasn’t ready and they gave us a beeper and told us to enjoy ourselves and would beep us once the room was ready. We decided to just stay put and enjoy the Excellence Club lounge buffet, and had a few drinks while we Skyped the kids on our laptop using the EC lounge’s free wireless connection. Our beeper went off in about 50 minutes and we were showed to our room.

Room: Walked in and immediately noticed the mildewy smell. Now, here’s the thing… it wasn’t awful. It was definitely there, but you didn’t notice it at all after having been in the room for more than 5 minutes. The best way I can describe it is it smelled like a basement, but not bad. We didn’t plan on spending a whole lot of time in the room anyways, so again, I didn’t dispute the room. Some people have mentioned on here that leaving the A/C on helped… I found the exact opposite to be true and found it was much better with the patio door open for a few hours. All of the bed linens smelled fresh as did all of the fabric to be found in the room. I actually went around sniffing everything in the room with this review in mind. We loved the bathroom. The shower was huge and had an adjustable shower head fixture which accommodated my hubby, who’s 6’4”. We did NOT have the fluctuating water temps like a lot of other rooms, and the pressure was super strong. Double sinks, Bvlgari soaps, lotions, shampoos etc. Even toothpaste, a toothbrush, sewing kit, shower cap, comb and shoe shine cloth. I found it a bit dark applying make-up too like some other reviewers but didn’t find it to be a big problem. In fact, the room on the whole was pretty dimly lit, but again, not a problem. I opted to leave my hair dryer at home and used the one in the room. It’s tiny, but did the job.
Huge flat-screen LCD tv with lots of American channels, bar area with coffee set-up and 4 big liquor bottles (ours were Skyy vodka, Beefeater gin, Jose Cuervo, and Jim Beam), 1 bottle of red wine up with the liquor and 1 bottle of white wine in the fridge. The fridge was stocked with Bud, Bud Lite, Corona, Corona Light and pop (in glass bottles) and water. When the fridge guy came I asked if we could swap out some of our Corona for Sol and lots of extra Coke Light. Not a problem, he did it every day for the remainder of our trip. If you wanted to swap out any of the liquor you could have done that too. (Sol was offered in Excellence Club only)
The beds were fine. My husband has a terrible back and he never complained once. The balcony view was great! We had a gorgeous view of the beach and we could also look to the left and see what was going on at the main pool area, which is where most of the activity at this hotel takes place. We never used the jaccuzzi outside. Same goes for the one in the room as well, so I can’t comment on them. We locked ourselves out on the balcony and had to ask our neighbours to call down and send someone up lol! Don’t shut your door when you’re outside!!! I knew this before hand and still made the mistake.

Restaurants: Ate at all of them except for the Lobster House. Hubby enjoys seafood, but I don’t and there wasn’t really anything else non-fishy on the menu. Breakfast buffet was heaven. Absolutely everything you could want. You name it, they had it. The lunch buffet was great too. I won’t go into detail about everything we ate and where, but I will say that Chez Isabelle was our favorite for dinner, and we actually enjoyed Agave for dinner unlike many other reviews. We went with another couple that we met there (which maybe made the difference), and had a great dinner with the Mariachi band playing and our waiter gave me the tequila shot of a lifetime lol! Ask for one if you go. Basically all of the food we had was great. Pasta firm, meats cooked to perfection, meals warm, presentation was great. The only gripes I had were so minor. The greek salad at Barcelona made me laugh, order it for fun. My husband ordered the cannelloni at the Italian and the portion made us laugh out loud – three tiny cannelloni for such a big guy. And I had to ask for a spoon to twirl my pasta. Big deal. All the complaints that you read on here from self-described “foodies” are ridiculous. The service was just so consistently great in each restaurant! We loved it.

Bars: Drinks were never watered-down, unlike other reviews I’ve read. We’re not the fruity concoction-type drinkers though. We’d have only one or two of those a day and even then, we sometimes asked for doubles. We mostly drink wine, beer, whiskey and shots. All you had to do was ask for whatever you wanted and it was yours. Every two weeks the bartenders switch bars. Watch out for Filberto, he’s a riot! We also loved Wilbert who was at the swim-up while we were there, and Lorenzo who was with Fil at the Cafe Kafe bar. The Cafe Kafe was our favorite! It’s outside the theatre. It was a great place to meet up before dinner and again after. We didn’t use the martini bar at all. We just preferred to be outside. We found the Excellence Club beach bar to be a tad quiet for our taste during the day. But the EC beach wait service was AWESOME! Diego was our waiter and I loved him. He was so sweet. We never ordered food on the beach or at the pool, but we saw others that did and it looked great! Think club sandwich with fries or burger-type stuff or nachos, etc. We even went to the night club/disco Alegria twice. It was hit and miss depending on the day. Only 4 nights out of 7 while we were there did we see anyone in there. But it was super fun when we went in. The DJ has a great Lady Gaga mix, ask for it!
For wine drinkers: There are 4 wines included throughout the resort, 2 whites and 2 reds. There was a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (Antares was the name) and there was a Chardonnay, but I can’t recall the name. For the reds there was a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Merlot. I’m sorry I can’t remember the names. The sparkling wine was Mexican called Dubois. And the in-room wine was both a tiny bottle of Spanish red and white, called Rene Barbier. I never drank it. You could order wines off the wine list at the restaurants, but the prices were pretty steep for us. We noticed lots of people bringing wine with them. I was happy with the Sauvignon Blanc, as I prefer a dry wine.

Beach: Fine, white, powdery sand and very wide. The swimming was a little adventurous on windy days as lots of sea grass gets washed in and the water got a bit murky when it was wavy. But we loved that. We were killing ourselves laughing at each other one day as we stepped on mystery things we couldn’t see. On calm days you can see the bottom perfectly. The tractor goes by everyday and cleans the beach. One of the main reasons I booked Excellence Club was to try and avoid the chair reserving game. We could ALWAYS get a palapa any time of day on the EC side. And an EC beach concierge would even walk with you and find you one if you arrived in the pm. Nice. An interesting fact: The best palapas at the EC beach are to the right. The ones to the left are a bit lower (actually it’s the sand that’s a bit higher). The plapas that were being reserved the most were the ones in the first row and the ones to the right. We never cared where our palapa was as long as it wasn’t too low, and we always managed to get one to the right. The EC beach is extremely quiet. We never used the beach on the non-EC side so I’m afraid I can’t comment much on that.
You can walk for miles in either direction, and we did. Excellence is sandwiched between two family-oriented resorts: Dreams to the south, and Paradisus to the north. You WILL see and hear children. And the odd family would walk by our beach with kids. We walked to Puerto Morelos for fun one day where we had some beer and ate at Pelicano’s.

Pools: EC pool was so quiet we never used it. It is the only one that’s heated. We just preferred the action at the main pool and so used it instead. The fact that the main pool wasn’t heated was a let-down to our friends that we met there, but we didn’t care at all. The main pool was as warm as we could ever hope ours would get in the summer here in Canada. It was high 70’s. Now here’s where you will find the reserved chairs! The ones under palapas were the ones that were reserved first. There are only about 8 or so shaded areas around the main pool to sit. We got a palapa here twice during our stay. On our way to breakfast we would just reserve our spot and come back to it right after and stayed put the whole day. We woke up early every morning around 6 am so the chair reserving never bothered us too much. We never used the lazy river, but found that it was also extremely, extremely quiet and peaceful around there.

Grounds: It’s exactly as others have described… beautiful, clean, amazing..

Spa: The most beautiful spa I have ever been to in my life! They do employ both female and male masseuses. If you have a preference make sure you make it known when you book your treatments. Also, the marine wellness circuit: I highly recommend doing this with a partner!! I did it alone and was wishing I had someone to laugh with the whole time. It’s included with any spa treatment. I had the Excellence massage and it was great. I’ve had a few massages before and I can say that this one was my favorite. The only thing I didn’t like was that the robes were thin white cotton and if you were wet at all from the pools, it clung to you and, well, you know. I found myself averting my gaze when people walked by.

Tipping: We tip and we tip well. I’m sure it didn’t make a difference in service, but having worked in the service industry, I just enjoy tipping. We tipped everyone. The mini-fridge person is different from your housekeeping person – keep that in mind. All of our tips were accepted graciously and appreciatively here.

Activities and Entertainment: We are in our mid-thirties and were a little nervous before we left with people commenting on the average age here being around 50 and that it was a very quiet place. We found the ages of everyone to be quite varied. People who are looking to make friends, do activities and have fun at the bars will. And everyone looking for quiet solitude will certainly find that too. It really is predominantly couples at this resort. Seemed pretty gay-friendly to me as well, which I loved. There is a list of activities that are included in the little newsletter you get with turn-down service for the following day. There are things to do from 8am – 4pm and then in the evening there are other things and then the nightly shows. My husband tried the rifle shooting when I was at the spa and he came back laughing. Unfortunately it was just a pellet gun. The archery would have been better, but we didn’t do that. There were kayaks, peddle boats, windsurfers and snorkel gear you could take out at the beach. Kickboxing, yoga, ping pong, Texas hold ‘em, tequila tasting, Mexican cooking, volleyball, pool tables, Spanish lessons, even bingo! The reggae band at the pool rocked. They got people up dancing. Theme nights are really fun too. Just be prepared to be seated at large tables with other people. If you like shows, the Michael Jackson show is the best. The circus one was pretty good too.

Service: Here comes my one major complaint. It’s not even that big of a deal to me, but could be to someone else. Our room was not cleaned every day, and we only got turn-down service 3 times the whole time we stayed. Eeek! And not only that, housekeeping was at different times each day, so late sometimes that turn-down service would have been redundant. Considering the EC price, I just expected more. This is the one and only area that Excellence did not meet my expectations.
Other than that, service here was superb! Everywhere you turned people were bending over backwards for you. You will fall in love with this place because of the people who work here. Try to make it out to the Managers Night. You will get the chance to meet them and see for yourself just how much they care about their service and about making your stay as perfect as they can.

Room Service: We had it twice and both times were for breakfast. It arrived in about 20 minutes and it was warm. Great!! See my pic. They set it all up for you in the room or on the balcony or you can use the magic box. We never used the magic box for room service, but here’s a tip: they prefer it if you store all your dirty dishes in there. I left a dirty fruit plate out overnight on the tv stand to find tiny ants all over the place. Not a complaint.. could happen anywhere.

Excellence Club Upgrade: Worth it? There is a lot of thought on this throughout these reviews. For us it was worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed the Club beach and do feel it was a bit nicer (spaced out a bit better and nicer beds) and less occupied than the other side, at least while we were there. Like I mentioned, towel games never an issue here. We visited the Club lounge everyday to see what Juan was cooking up for the little buffet and had some drinks. We loved hanging out in there and enjoyed having the ability to exchange our money and get small bills, and check-in/out was nicely done there too (while seated in nice chairs). Liquor and wine in the room was good in theory, but we preferred to go to the bars. Never used the upgraded room service menu. Never did use the jaccuzzi on the balcony. Sol beer was nice. The beach bag was handy. Flowers and daily fruit plates were ok.. none of these little extras make it worth it. It all really boils down to whether or not you want an ocean front room. Period. And we did.

I struggled with my overall rating of Excellence. I should really have given it a 4 star rating because our stay was not “perfect” because of the room smell and the housekeeping issue, however, the service and people and the genuine desire to please far out-weigh any of the issues we had. Would I go back? In a heartbeat!! In fact, I don’t think I would even consider another resort in the Mayan Riviera. Would I recommend it to a friend? Absolutely! I give it a 5. Go, enjoy yourselves and fall in love with Excellence Riviera Cancun.

18 Thank ontariofarmgrl
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2010

We were recommended to this hotel by friends who said it was better than Sandals - it most certainly was. Adult only, all inclusive with friendly professional service, a choice of a la carte restaurants to eat in, and with beautiful grounds including numerous pool areas, and a large beach frontage if you prefer the beach.

I don't think I could say a bad word about the whole experience, and if it was little less distance to travel to get there, we'd be back in a flash.

6 Thank PennyH2009
Markham, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2010

We booked this trip via Sunwing. We were looking for a relaxing vacation and we decided to book this resort because of the reviews and we were not disappointed.

All the meals / drinks were included (through we did not end up drinking much anyways). Of all the restaurants, my favorite was Mexican. All of the restaurants provide very pure meals, none of it was over seasoned. However i do have to say i personally did not enjoy the Asian cuisine since it is not completely authentic (but I am Asian so for obvious reasons I cannot like Asian food that is not authentic)

The beach is so close and they have all these little huts set up for your pleasure.

I would actually advise asking about their Excellence Club experience as it allows you access to a more private area on the beach as well as an improvement on some of the amenities. However staying at their regular swim up room was already spectacular experience. Staying in a swim up suite was very convenient and we did not have to walk up and down the stairs. We are also provided with direct access to one of the pools and our own lounge chairs.

I would also strongly suggest doing a spa treatment. It was an extremely beautiful ritual for us including their marine wellness was an experience really like no other. If you bring your camera, their staff will also take pictures for you along the way.

6 Thank dorisli
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!