“Almost Excellent”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Almost Excellent”
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Let me just say that I was addicted to this website for the past several months. I booked this resort based off the excellent reviews. My group of 12 went to SERC for my wedding Dec 4-12. Knowing that the resort may not be 100% after Wilma, we kept our reservations. To reschedule a wedding somewhere else or for some other time seemed impossible when trying to please everyone in our group. That being said, here goes.
When we arrived at the resort, we were upgraded from an oceanview room and taken to the Excellence Club front desk. Our room was ready early so we checked it out. We were thrilled! The view from Building 8 was beautiful. The room was spotless. We then went to meet up with everyone and everyone seemed overwhelmed by the place.

PROS
-Rooms are amazing, cleaned every day, twice a day
-Food is excellent whichever restaurant you choose
-Service is second to none at the restaurants, pool, beach, and bars. They really know how to take care of you.
-Staff is always pleasant and friendly
-Entertainment staff- John Paul, Carlos, and Oscar- definitely a lot of fun.
-Room Service always there within 30 minutes except the morning of our departure ( 50 minutes we waited then left to catch our flight hungry). Anyways, the waiters always pleasant and food always excellent!

CONS
-Electricity went out 4 times in our room. Not really a big thing because the first 3 times it was during the day and they were quick to fix it. The fourth time was at night, and we had to sit out in the hallway and wait forty- five minutes. After 3 calls to the front desk and no one showing up, it was security that got someone for us.
-People working on the hotel. At first, it was not a big deal. After waking up to the bulldozer on the beach, then to hammering by the pool, I was starting to get annoyed. Like I said, I didn't expect perfection, but I also didn't expect the noise. The painting and the planting was fine, because it was quiet! My expectations were that it was just the vegetation that was left to be fixed. I didn't know there was a lot of construction.
-AQUAWORLD! BE CAREFUL! Prices seem to change depending on who is asking! VERY SHADY! I would use APPLE instead.
-Roaches! Only saw one on the first day in our shower but my aunt had two in her room. Never saw a roach before, but it was huge! I got over it rather quickly and didn't see anymore the rest of the trip.

AND THE WEDDING...
We met with Claudia, the wedding coordinator on Tuesday. We did the blood tests and went over the wedding details in about 30 minutes.
-On Friday my dress and his suit were picked up to be pressed at 10AM. At 1PM I called Claudia looking for my dress. She said that I was supposed to have it by 1PM and that she would make a phone call. At 1:40PM I call again and she said it was to be delivered at 1:20PM. Of course it wasn't and after another phone call it finally arrived.
-The bouquet was beatiful, again, a little late, but beautiful.
-I was late arriving for the wedding, but everyone was waiting patiently. The ceremony went rather smoothly considering there was no rehearsal.
-Our families couldn't do a toast to us because they only put out 6 glasses instead of the 12 we needed. So, we toasted by ourselves.
-On Saturday, our last day there, we went looking for our marriage certificate and to pick up the DVD of the wedding. At the front desk, they told me the DVD hadn't arrived but that the marriage certificate was delivered to my room the night before. It wasn't. We spent most of our last night there trying to find it to no avail. At around 10:30PM we received a call saying that they couldn't find the marriage certificate but when they did, they would mail it to us. They also said the DVD had arrived and we could pick it up. When we got down to the front desk, they said the DVD was not there. I said that someone had just called me and said that it was. After Edgar made a couple of phone calls, he told me I must have misunderstood the call that I received. The man who called me did not say the DVD was there. Of course at that point, I lost it. I went back to the room and my husband stayed to give them our mailing address. We weren't back in the room 10 minutes before the phone rang. It was the front desk saying they found the DVD in Claudia's desk. My husband went right down to the front desk before they lost it again. We left on Sunday morning with the DVD, but no marriage certificate.
As you can see, I am still quite bitter about the wedding. I would not tell anyone to get married at this resort. There was no organization!
As for the resort, had it not been for Wilma, I'm sure the resort would have been excellent. There was just a little too much work going on there for the amount of money we spent on this vacation. Give it a month and it should be perfect!

• Stayed December 2005
27 Thank juslikeheaven

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,746)
  • Korean first
Reviewed December 1, 2005

Just returned from Secrets Excellence ,Rivera Maya.Wow, what a trip!!We have been to this area many times before and this was our best experience.We had been a little apprehensive because of the hurricanes recent devastation, but we needn't have been the Hotel re-opened 2 days before we checked in, and the minor inconvenience of the reconstruction work being done at the Hotel was more than made up by the level of service by the staff.Their was great attention to detail.
It was truly remarkable to watch the construcion crews pull this resort back into shape before our very eyes we were there for four days and were amazed at the progress made during that time.All the resturants and bars are fully operational and the hotel and scenery are still breathtaking.If you have plans to go there in the next few days or so do not worry ...Other than details here and there ..that do not get in the way of your vacation..The resort is pretty well in full operation.The day we left they were putting new Palapas on the beach, I bet by today people are lying under them.We would love to thank the staff, Edgar and Francesco (sp) at the front desk.The waiters Deigo, Carlos, Angel, Modesto,Luis and everybody at the Asian Resturant, they were terrific.The entertainment staff were a real kick, John Paul, Fernanda, Lorainne (JLo), you were all great!!!!Hope to see you again

47 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2005

I have just returned from a wonderful trip. The hotel is working very hard to replace the vegetation. There is minor damage to hotel and grounds. I am sure that within a very short while you will not be able to see any difference. I have stayed at several all inclusive hotels and this by far the best. The beach is great. They have several pools to choose from and 2 are even heated for the winter months. The food is fantastic and there is no need for dinner reservations. The service is the best that i have ever experienced at an all inclusive proberty. There is also no need to wear a braclet or carry around a card for your beach towel. Very good entertainment. I take approx. 5 or 6 trips per year and this hotel rates at the top. I am certain to return. If you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Stayed November 2005
52 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
PA
Reviewed November 28, 2005

We were the first 2 guests to arrive at this wonderful resort after hurricane Wilma. I just felt the need to come here and thanks the management and staff of SERC for the absolutely best vacation I have ever had. Even though the resort still had some storm related kinks to work out, we were treated like royalty. I have been to other all-inclusives, but none of them can compare, even with the hurricane damage. If you have any doubts about a Cancun area destination, please consider this one, you will Not be dissappointed.

• Stayed November 2005
74 Thank MCSCooper
Reviewed November 15, 2005

We had a wonserful time anything you need is on the resort. I would do it again. The food was good. Mini bar refilled daily. My only complaint is the bed. Very Hard!!! But nothing the hot tub couldn't cure. Great place to escape to

Stayed September 2005
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I have a very large group I'm planning for at Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun for the end of January. I was extremely concerned given some of the reports I read so I decided to go see the resort and the surrounding area for myself. Here's my evaluation:

I will begin with Cancun International Airport. No damages were visual from the outside. There was ceiling damage inside near the Customs / Immigration area and full repair work was in process. All gift shops, restaurants (except for one), and duty free shops were completely open. Full staffs were apparent at the airline counters and also in Customs and Immigration.

The road from the airport to Riviera Maya was completely cleared of all debris. The leaves on most trees were gone, however new buds were already apparent. I was told that the budding process will be in full bloom within 6 to 8 weeks.

The hotels along the Cancun strip did sustain major damage. I did not visit any of these properties but I was told repair work was under way and most expect to open between December and February. The beach area sustained heavy damage and it was mentioned the government is finalizing plans to repair the area. Interestingly, the restaurant we selected for our executive dinner, Puerto Madero, is in this area and had very minimal damage. It is fully operational along with its pier.

I visited Playa del Carmen and I estimate it is 98% operational. Repair work (painting, scraping) was visible on a few buildings but other than that everything is open and operating. Restaurants, bars, beaches, shops - everything is fine. All they really need is for tourists to return.

My group enjoys golfing so I visited the three courses they are interested in playing. The Moon Palace Jack Nicklaus course is closed. The course looks to be in very good shape but the club house requires extensive repairs. I was told they do not plan to reopen the course until late January. The Playacar course is open and looks great. The club house is not open yet but the repair work is scheduled to be completed in 2 to 3 weeks. The Fairmont Mayakoba course actually looks better than it did 2 months ago. It is in excellent shape. Two ocean holes sustained major damage and they were being rebuilt while I was there. The course is on schedule to open the first week of December.

Now to Secrets Excellence. The reports of major structural damage to the pools, SPA, and hotel are false. Two of the pools are already open. The others are being cleaned - no where did I see any major concrete damage. The SPA is being repainted and the SPA pools are scheduled to reopen next week.
The stone wall separating the beach from the pool area did collapse. They have already rebuilt about 20 feet of it and it has only been two weeks since the hurricane struck. As I was warned, the palapas are gone. The roof over the two beach restaurants is about 25% rebuilt and I saw 6 people working on it during my visit. The theater roof is also gone and the stage area suffered heavy damage. That area is scheduled to be worked on next week. The Ballroom suffered damage to the floor, walls, and ceiling but nothing that will require a huge effort to repair. The French, Italian, and
Mexican restaurants looked fine. I understand the Oriental restaurant had some sand and water damage but again, nothing major. Obviously, the grounds are not as beautiful as they were two months ago. However, I saw a team of approximately 30 workers cleaning the grounds and replanting new palm trees.
Assuming they continue this effort and plant new flowers, the end result will actually be an improvement. Room damage was pretty much contained to the swim-out suites. Each was being cleaned, repainted, etc., and because the water was not allowed to stay, I noticed no offensive odors.

I witnessed approximately 300 or so employees working in various teams repairing and cleaning the property. While I was there the hotel hosted a free buffet lunch for the workers along with a live band to provide music. The spirit couldn't be better. These people seemed to be very happy to have a job but more importantly there was a spirit of "let's bring it back better than ever".

43 Thank ginak748
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador
Reviewed November 12, 2005

Me and my boyfriend arrived on October 12th and were completely amazed at the resort and how picture perfect it was! Absalutly amazing and breathtaking!! The staff were great!! They welcomed us with wine. They were so friendly and were always smiling saying "Hola!"
Our Room was wonderful! It had a belcony and a beautiful view of the pool and Spa area.The Spa played the most sensous and relaxing music.
The housekeeping staff kept our rooms clean every day in a timely manner.
Entertainment was great! One night they had an Elvis impersonator on stage singing all his songs! Another night, they had a little circus act...etc...
Evenings by the pool were very nice and relaxing...
and very romantic! It is so romantic there that we almost decided to get married then and there! haha
We left just days before Hurricane Wilma. Such a shame!! I think about the staff and the resort all the time and wonder what they must have went through during Hurricane Wilma. It's so personal and get's me teary eyed seeing the pictures of what Wilma did to the Resort because it is such a beautiful place to have something so horrible happen to it and it's staff. I hope no one was hurt there and I will definatly re-visit this resort again in the future! A+++++

• Stayed October 2005
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!