“Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
dallas
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

My wife and I just returned from the Excellence Riviera. We spent ten wonderful days celebrating our honeymoon. Overall, this hotel is fantastic. It is very well kept, clean and spacious. The beach is beautiful and it provides miles of soft sand to walk on. The pools are just the right temperature and offer plenty of options, each offering a different vibe. Overall, the food is good. The French, Italian, Japanese and Meditteranian restaraunts are ok, kind of like cruise ship food (nothing to write home about.) The Mexican restaurant was good but it would be fun to have it ocean front (where the pizza place is). The Lobster house was great though. We ate their twice and each time we had the lobster. Delicious! The setting and ambience of the Lobster House far exceeded the other restaraunts.
The bar service, beach service and the room service were awesome! (we had room service for breakfast each morning, made to order, mmm!) The X Lounge is a great place to chill and watch the stars pass by. We spent our days on the beach under a palapa with a bed and chaise, then in the afternoons we would float one of the pools. We did order one drink at the swim up pool bar but, didn't stay. The crowd there was kind of the frat-boy-who-never-grew-up type. Fine for some, just not our style.
So we headed back to the beach where the sound of the waves lulls you right to sleep.
This is a very romantic hotel and they really work on keeping it that way. It was so refreshing to not have any kids around. The lack of children really helps to create such a romantic atmosphere. We were very very impressed with the resort and we are talking about planning a trip next year to one of their other resorts.
We only did two activities outside the hotel. We walked down the beach to Puerto Morelos. Since it was a Sunday, the town was quiet. But it was fun to walk around the square. We hired a guide for snorkeling right there on the pier. He took us out to the reef (about a 5 minute boat ride) and then we snorkeled 2 spots. They make you wear a life jacket because it's a national park. I didn't care for the life jacket (makes it kinda hard to dive down to get a closer look!)
We also took the (wrong) boat to Isla Mujeres. We named it the the Vomit Boat. It was about a 35 foot long, enclosed, no opening windows, door shut, smelling of fish, toilet and diesel fuel. The captain never got the boat onto plane so it followed EVERY swell! About 35 minutes later we set foot on the pier at beautiful Isla Mujeres! We rented a couple of chairs at Playa Del Norte and swam and hung out with a few beers. We did a little shopping, my wife bought a skirt and a hot bikini! Then as we walked back to the Vomit Boat, we noticed a super sleek blue and yellow SHIP (Ultra Mar) that had top side seeting, no fish and the engines were all covered! Needless to say, we made our way back across the channel on the Ultra Mar. What a great view! So, don't ride the Vomit Boat!!

The only thing we thought might improve the place would be to keep the Lobster House / Grill open every night. Also it would be cool to have a cabana beach bar on the sand. Maybe even moving the X Lounge out over the water using the twin piers. How cool would that be! We are laid back people, enjoy some drinks (mai tai's and mojeto's!) and wanted to spend our time together. If you are looking for a romantic place to stay where you can focus on your partner without distractions, this is the place!

5 Thank DallasLowrider

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,518)
  • Korean first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

Just read a review that said everything about the Hotel was awful, if you've just booked your onto a real wnner, so go and enjoy

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LiverpoolMike
Bedforshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

After being depressed from returning from the ERC in April, I thought I'd better share my experience at the ERC where we went to get married with 12 other travellers (family and friends).

We flew from London Gatwick on 14.4.2009 for two weeks. We booked through First Choice Premier and paid £3600 per couple for junior suites and £4300 per couple for an ocean view junior suite. Flight service was poor. Delayed 1hour on plane, poor check in service etc. Cancun Airport was ridiculous. I think we waited around 1hour to get through immigration and then a further 2hours to get through baggage control. I'm not sure why they feel they need to scan you bags, when they have been scanned already.

Once out of the airport, we didn't see any time share people. We were not allowed to take baggage trolleys outside of the airport, which is a scam so that the guys outside the airport help you... for a price. Be warned incase you don't have any local currency on you. We had private transfers to the hotel that were very good. The journey took around 20-25mins.

Arrival - Once we arrived at the hotel, the long journey seemed worthwhile. Nice towel to freshen up on arrival and then through the main entrance to met with some champagne (which actually is very drinkable). The reception is beautiful.

Check in - The check in staff really do let this hotel down. After travelling for 20hours door to door, you don't really want to be told that you don't have the correct paperwork. I think the guy on reception asked me around 10 times for some voucher which we didn't have. I had a receipt for every guest which stated how many rooms we had, but he wanted the elusive voucher. After loosing my temper and asking to see the manager, it seemed that he could locate us on the system very easily. I honestly think he was just trying to be rude, and after 20hours, I wasn't prepared to take it. After around 30mins we finalised the check in procedure. We missed out on the guided tour to our rooms and were left to wander aimlessly around the hotel looking for our block. We even had to ask some other guests for directions... not the sort of service you should expect from a hotel of this calibre, however things generally improved from here.

Rooms - Really nice rooms, no musty smell and no ants. Always kept clean, and always had turn down service. No problems with theft and did use the safe at all times. The hot water in the shower was intermittent which was annoying, especially with sunburn!

Food - Breakfast was good with lots of choice. Lunch was okay. I would say that the lunch menu became a little repetitive after a while. Perhaps they should rotate the menus every week or something. For lunch you can either go to Barcelona (Buffet) or The Grill where you can get burger, hot dogs, chicken wings etc or The Lobster House where then menu is more fish based. Dinners were hit and miss. We liked Chez Isabelle (French), Spice (Japanese) and The Grill (Steakhouse), all of the other were okay with probably the Mexican restaurant being the most dissapointing. I think this hotel does need one buffet restaurant for dinners. This would allow some people to get a quick bite, and it would free up some of the a la carte restaurants. I think on one occasion all of the restaurants apart from one (Mexican) has a 1.5hour waiting time. The staff also couldn't accomdate groups of more than four. We did manage to arrange a couple of group meals for all 14 of us, however tended to wait around 45mins between coureses on these occassions.

Drinks - Drinks choices are very good. Premium brands used and some nice beers. They don't do Corona by the bottle which is dissapointing, but you can get cans of it if you ask nicely.

Entertainment - I found the entertainment okay but too short. I think it started at 9pm and was finished by 10:30pm. After this there was nothing to do, other than go to the nightclub. I think the nightclub closed at 12:30am, so after that it was either down the beach to cause mischief (with a 6pack of beers) or home! I am abit of a night owl, so found the early finish a shame. Day time entertainment was okay. They had bands around the pool on some days, but again these finished too quickly. By the time the crowd got going the set would be over, and then that would be it. No music until the evening entertainment came on. Don't get me wrong, I understand the hotel isn't an 18-30's in Ibiza, but I think even the older folks would have liked a bit more going on.

Pools - The pools were very nice, they were quite cold though. The towel game at this hotel is the worst I have ever seem. If you stay here, please, please, please, when you are finished with you bed take your towel to the bin provided. I couldn't belive how selfish people were in this hotel. As for floaties... I did'nt even see one. The hotel really must do something about the beds.

Beach - The beach is nice. The sea bed is rocky in places. My sister cut her foot quite badly which should have had stiches. Water shoes wouldn't be a bad idea. The water can get very rough. I am a keen sailor and only got out twice in the first week sailing. The water sports centre wasn't even open for the second week. We did pay for a scuba trip which involved a lesson in the pool. We were supposed to dive the following day, but were told we couldn't due to the conditions. We were given this excuse everyday until the end of our stay. We were refunded for our dive, but charged for the lesson. I think this is a scam as they didn't warn us about the fact that it could be cancelled.

Location - The hotel is pretty much on its own, although there is a new hotel being built next door. Due to the fact the hotel is isolated, we found taxis and excursions very very expensive. We have stayed in Playa Del Carmen before and found trips much cheaper, I guess due to the proximity of so many other hotels. If you want to do lots of trips then bring plenty if money with you. I think the dolphin trip was $250 pp.

Fishing - I had booked 3months prior, a 46ft fishing boat for me and 6 others. I booked through the hotel reception. Despite bringing the email with me, the hotel hadn't reserved the boat. Again the reception staff were completely incompetent. I had booked the boat for my stag day, so I was pretty annoyed. I had to quickly book an alternative charter through Aquaworld. Be warned the boats are very small. The cabin was very uncomfortable and smelt heavily of diesel. The boat was around 35ft, but really shouldn't have been out in the conditions. The seas were huge. We went 26miles out to see to a reef. We caught plenty of fish but the conditions really ruined the day.

Wedding - We went to this hotel to get married, and if you are considering a wedding abroad, this is a really good choice. Veronica Ozon was our wedding co-ordinator and she was absoloutly brilliant. She took care of everything. We decided to get married on the pier instead of the beach. The ceromany took around 20mins and our judge spoke very good english. The service was much like a non-religious service back home. Very informal. After the service we were taken around the hotel for photos whilst are guests enjoyed a Mariachi Band and canapes and cocktails. We decided to have our meal in an area they called the lobby. This was an indoor part outdoor terrace just off the main lobby area. I would really recommend this area for your meal. Its completely private, the food was great and the views were amazing. The service here was exceptional. Noah our main waiter was just superb. He is such a great guy, and made our meal really special. All in all it was a superb day and made the whole holiday.

Day after wedding - As part of our package we had a spa session included which was very nice. The hydro circuit is worth doing even if you don't have a treatment. We also spent the day around the spa pool which was much quieter than the beach front pool. We also had a meal on the beach included which was very nice.

Summary - All in all this hotel is very nice, and I would go back, but perhaps not with a big group. I think this hotel is geared up for couples rather than groups. If you are considering a wedding here, I don't think you would be dissapointed. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank James H
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

Went with my husband to celebrate the 4th of July for five nights July 2-6. We were pleasantly greeted with a cold towel and glass of champagne at check-in at 12 am. We were very hungry and were told that we were in luck since Oregano was open till 1 am. No such luck. The bartender at the lobby bar suggested we order room service at the bar but they refused to deliver to the bar, only to our room. Not sure why they wouldn't accomodate, but we didn't make a big deal of it.
The room was nicely appointed and the AC worked great. However, the bed and pillows were not Heavenly quality and the TV was not a flat screen. The grounds were very nicely decorarated and spacious. There were lots of pool floats and plenty of chairs, however we mostly hung out at the swim-up bar. On numerous occassions, we noticed cups and scum floating in the water from a bad skim/cleanup in the morning. One bartender Diego was good and the other one always looked hung over. We tried ordering lunch at the swim up bar only to be told you can't order there. Good luck finding a staff member to order lunch from! I looked for over a half hour to flag someone down only to have to wait 1 hour to get a club sandwich. At noon they played music for water aerobics. The crowd spoke and suggested leaving the music on after aerobics but were told they could NOT do that! Why not??? The entire swim up bar (30+) people begged for music only to be told no.
Breakfast at Barcelona was just ok. The coffee was disgusting! It tasted like cruise ship coffee. The piano player and violist at breakfast was a nice touch.
The Beach-don't waste your time! The water is filled with seaweed and jellyfish.
We made friends at the swim up bar and wanted to have dinner together (6 of us) at Chez Isabel, the French restaurant. After waiting 30 minutes, we were escorted to a 4 top! They suggested splitting us up although they had two 4 tops next to each other. duh. They refused..only after we complained a manager accomodated us. While half the party was in the cigar room, the manager came to our table to tell us to keep our voices down. Are you kidding me?????This is VACATION, not a library!!! We were really irritated by now. Same situation at Lobsterhouse. After waiting 2 HOURS for a table, they finally sat us, this time 8 of us. I don't understand why they can't accomodate a table of 2 the same as a table of 6 or more? Service overall was just ok. Staff did not appear to be motivated by tips, weird.
This place is certainly NOT 5 STARS, close to 3 1/2. The staff needs a bit re-training, the pools need cleaning, restaurants need better chefs, and the beach needs a new beach. I probably will not come back to this place. If it wasn't for the new friends at the swim-up bar, we would have had a lousy time here.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank EscapeChick
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

We went to the Excellence Riviera for our honeymoon and everything was amazing. From the moment we stepped into the hotel the service was great. They greeted us with champagne, quickl collected our bags, gave us a quick tour of the hotel and brought us to our private check in at the excellence club. We stayed for 8 days and ate at almost every restaurant....you can order room service any time you want but i recommend the buffet in the barcelona restaurant for breakfast, the grill or buffet for lunch, and for dinner all the restaurants were great but our favorite was spice. Everywhere you turn there is another pool or bar. The beach was great and we even had waiter service there. The room was cleaned twice a day and the entire hotel was beautiful. We recommend the spa....we had a couples massage and the hydrotherapy treatment which you will not find anywhere. We booked our shuttle service and excursion through olympus tours who were also very accomodating. For our excursion under alternative tours we sent for a short bike tour, 3 zip lines, and swam in a cenote....this should not be missed. We spoke to many other guests who have been to other all inclusive resorts and everyone agrees that this resort cannot be beat. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and we can not wait to return.

OKC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

I used TripAdvisor extensively to choose this resort, so now that we're back, I felt I should finally register and give back a little.
First of all, it's actually hard to think of anything negative to say about our experience. You're treated like royalty from arrival to departure. If you want to relax and be pampered, this is it! Every positive review I had read was confirmed. As for the negative reviews, I suspect those people might need some professional help! There is, however, one recurring negative comment I can confirm. Our bed was too firm for my wife, although I had no problem.
We ate at Chez, Lobster House, and Spice. All three were great, but Spice sent us into orbit! Absolutely Fantastic!
We stayed on the beach for our 4 days, and thought it was fine. We had no problem getting loungers, and would wake up a little earlier to secure a bed. There were no fistfights over beach spots as some might have you believe.
If you're already booked, relax, you've made a good choice. Your partner will think you're a genius for picking it;-)

9 Thank FestusOKC
pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

What a wonderful place. I am typing this from our room at the Excellence. We have been here 4 days and have loved every minute of it. We booked our tour with Liberty travel, got a good price with air and transports. Will use them again.
Breakfast at the Buffet is delicious. My husband has been eating papaya every day and been so happy. There is everything you would want for breakfast and more.
Lunch - we have only eaten at the grill since we love the ocean breeze during the heat of the day.
Dinner-Dress code is long pants for men if you go to the inside restaurants but you can wear shorts to the outside restaurants.
Lobster House (outside) - Delicious lobster but some great shrimp meals too. And the ocean breeze is lovely.
Grill (also outside) Good steaks with some other chicken and fish items.
Mediterranean-(inside) Again delicious but no ocean breeze. The moussaka was delicious and so was the swordfish. The baklava was a little too nutty, not enough sweet but the piano player was wonderful.

Room: we are staying in building 8000 in the Excellence Club. I would say the upgrade is worth it if only for your personal concierge . Our keys stopped working and we went to them and the problem was solved with a new lock installed within 1/2 hour. The room is beautiful and the free internet is nice. Housekeeping came early day 1 and late day 2. We made a request for her always to come early and she came early today. The mini bar is great stocked with everything you need. We don't drink beer and I told the stock guy and he replaced it with diet coke, fanta etc. Since we are staying in bldg 8000 it is a little walk to the main restaruants but far away enough so you don't have to hear the loud music at night. The room has an indoor and outdoor jacuzzi!! and the balcony is great.

Pools-If you can't find the multiple pools you need a new pair of glasses. The place is covered with wonderful saltwater pools. Since they are only at 40% capacity we never had a problem finding a chair.
Beach-Beautiful fine grain sandy beach. There is some seaweed and rocks but what would you expect with the living reef not far away.

Service-we have found everyone to be very very friendly. They put service first with a smile. We have been tipping the waiters a few dollars at each meal but have seen many who haven't.

Lastly, today we took the tour of a lifetime. W went snorkeling with the Whalesarks with Caribbean Connection. This was an amazing trip. The sharks are beautiful, gigantic and very calm. We did get a little sick on the boat ride out there so keep that in mind, but well worth every penny if you are here before September 1st.

Overall this is a wonderful, beautiful, fantastic place to vacation I would recommend it to any couple looking for a relaxing vacations. Feel free to email me with any questions.

6 Thank jsmccandlish1
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,569 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!