My wife and I just returned from the Excellence Riviera. We spent ten wonderful days celebrating our honeymoon. Overall, this hotel is fantastic. It is very well kept, clean and spacious. The beach is beautiful and it provides miles of soft sand to walk on. The pools are just the right temperature and offer plenty of options, each offering a different vibe. Overall, the food is good. The French, Italian, Japanese and Meditteranian restaraunts are ok, kind of like cruise ship food (nothing to write home about.) The Mexican restaurant was good but it would be fun to have it ocean front (where the pizza place is). The Lobster house was great though. We ate their twice and each time we had the lobster. Delicious! The setting and ambience of the Lobster House far exceeded the other restaraunts.
The bar service, beach service and the room service were awesome! (we had room service for breakfast each morning, made to order, mmm!) The X Lounge is a great place to chill and watch the stars pass by. We spent our days on the beach under a palapa with a bed and chaise, then in the afternoons we would float one of the pools. We did order one drink at the swim up pool bar but, didn't stay. The crowd there was kind of the frat-boy-who-never-grew-up type. Fine for some, just not our style.
So we headed back to the beach where the sound of the waves lulls you right to sleep.
This is a very romantic hotel and they really work on keeping it that way. It was so refreshing to not have any kids around. The lack of children really helps to create such a romantic atmosphere. We were very very impressed with the resort and we are talking about planning a trip next year to one of their other resorts.
We only did two activities outside the hotel. We walked down the beach to Puerto Morelos. Since it was a Sunday, the town was quiet. But it was fun to walk around the square. We hired a guide for snorkeling right there on the pier. He took us out to the reef (about a 5 minute boat ride) and then we snorkeled 2 spots. They make you wear a life jacket because it's a national park. I didn't care for the life jacket (makes it kinda hard to dive down to get a closer look!)
We also took the (wrong) boat to Isla Mujeres. We named it the the Vomit Boat. It was about a 35 foot long, enclosed, no opening windows, door shut, smelling of fish, toilet and diesel fuel. The captain never got the boat onto plane so it followed EVERY swell! About 35 minutes later we set foot on the pier at beautiful Isla Mujeres! We rented a couple of chairs at Playa Del Norte and swam and hung out with a few beers. We did a little shopping, my wife bought a skirt and a hot bikini! Then as we walked back to the Vomit Boat, we noticed a super sleek blue and yellow SHIP (Ultra Mar) that had top side seeting, no fish and the engines were all covered! Needless to say, we made our way back across the channel on the Ultra Mar. What a great view! So, don't ride the Vomit Boat!!
The only thing we thought might improve the place would be to keep the Lobster House / Grill open every night. Also it would be cool to have a cabana beach bar on the sand. Maybe even moving the X Lounge out over the water using the twin piers. How cool would that be! We are laid back people, enjoy some drinks (mai tai's and mojeto's!) and wanted to spend our time together. If you are looking for a romantic place to stay where you can focus on your partner without distractions, this is the place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos