“Quiet and Romantic”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
cold midwest
“Quiet and Romantic”
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We've never done an all inclusive holiday before and wasn't sure what to expect. It was 5 star quality from the minute we arrived,the setting is beautiful. It is a quiet resort, sometimes a little to quiet, only thing I would change. The staff bent over backwards for you, they were fun and easy going,the drinks/food were very good-excellent The room itself is designed for romance.
We highly reccommend this resort and are planning to return next year.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dogonefun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,750)
  • Korean first
kent
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Great hotel: very welcoming, friendly and helpful staff made for a fantastic holiday excellent - although the spa seemed very expensive so we didn't use it. Good choice of restaurants that did not need advance reservations: cant wait to go back

4 Thank RHKent
Albuquerque
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My dad and I (I am 33 and he is 64) booked a 5 day trip here as a last minute trip, after the recent death of my mom. We were looking to escape the constantly ringing phone and condolence emails and generally just escape, decompress, and sleep a lot after a pretty exhausting experience. The Excellence Riviera Cancun SO FAR exceeded our needs and expectations on every level and I would recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone who was looking for a beautiful, peaceful, incredible all inclusive to go to. Here are some of the highlights:

Tennis:
I took the daily free tennis clinic (9am everyday except Sunday) with Alfonso and it was phenomenal. I have been playing for a year and my skills massively improved through the clinic. There were people of all levels there each day and Alfonso perfectly tailors each drill to the skill of the individual. He is an incredibly good teacher who explains things in very clear and concise ways that really make you understand why you are doing things. This was also a great place to meet people and I made some good resort friends through the clinic who I would see around the rest of the days. I also took a private lesson with him ($45) and my serve improved more from his 20 mins of attention than it has in a year of lessons at home. There are really good quality raquets you can borrow for free.

Pilates:
The Pilates class at 8am each morning is incredibly challenging and amazing. The teacher is very hard but also very forgiving and encourages everyone to work at their own level. You get lots of personal attention as he comes around to each person during each move to make sure you are doing it correctly.

Swim Up Room:
We didn't book this but ended up being upgraded and if I went back, I would pay the extra money for this room. It opens right onto the pool and has it's own private outdoor jacuzzi, hammock, and two loungers. It was great for the afternoon sun and when I wanted a quiet time.

Vegetarian Food:
I am a vegetarian and am used to having very limited entree options but every single restaurant at the hotel had a whole special vegetarian menu with a special soup and choice of entrees. The food was phenomenal and creative and as good quality as the regular food.

Spa- Marine Treatment Circuit:
I wasn't really sure what this was, but it is so worth it- if you buy any spa service (we got massages and facials- both great) you get a free marine treatment circuit where one of the spa attendants walks you through a 45 minute circuit of targetted jets, water temperatures, and options which are supposed to really help your skin and body. It felt amazing at the end of a long day on the beach. Highly recommend it!

Service:
Overall the service at the resort is second to none. All of the staff are unbelievably friendly, helpful and seem to really enjoy their job and take a lot of pride in the resort. We tipped everyone. I know they say it is included but the service is so phenomenal it is worth that tip.

Clientelle:
The resort has a very impressive and diverse clientelle- everything from newly-wed's to senior couples and everything in between. Everyone was very friendly and mellow.

Some Things We Wished We'd Known:
* We elected to have our massages on the beach instead of at the spa. Unfortunately, a band was playing RIGHT beside the massage hut so for our entire massage we were listening to cover versions of Ricky Martin and the Rolling Stones. It would have been perfect if the band hadn't been playing and we could listen to the water. Check what else is happening at the front of the resort before booking a beach massage. The rooms at the spa are gorgeous and it would have been much more relaxing to just have them there!
* Rooms have DVD players but the resort doesn't have DVD's so bring your own if you want to watch a movie one night
* The only bummer is that a lot of the activities I was interested in (pilates, yoga, tennis clinic) were all grouped at the same time so I couldn't do them all. I suggested to the activity director that they try and spread them out more. He said they would work on that.
* We arrived early (9:30am) and didn't get into our room until late (3:30pm) they ended up upgrading us to the swim up room which was worth the wait, but i wish we had better packed/prepared for a late check in and had our swimsuits, books, sunscreen, etc. ready so we could have enjoyed the first day more. This was our fault, but can be avoided with better planning

Overall Thoughts:
Even though the resort is called 4.5 stars, I honnestly can't imagine what more you would get for 5 stars. It is incredibly elegant and beautiful but not snooty. The food was phenonenal, the staff incredible, the pools and beach perfect, the beach beds even better....honnestly, it is perfect. I SO highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed March 2009
16 Thank neverlandfarm
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I hope to keep this review short by making a simple statement: You should not be disapointed going here. There are many choices of resorts in Mexico, this should be one of your top choices.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at this all-inclusive, adult only, resort for 10 days and enjoyed every minute of it. It was recommended to us by our travel agent at Mann Travel. I even told a friend about this resort who was getting married 3 months after us and he decided to go and they enjoyed it as well. I'll comment by category here:

Food: The food is some of the best. We met people who had stayed at other resorts and heard many times that the food was the best they have had in the Yuchatan. We were happy. Breakfast choices were great, full selection for any taste. Lunches were good even though we ate many lunches off of the resort. Dinners....wonderful. There are many restaurants to choose from and many dishes. We always tried new items and enjoyed exploring different types of entress the entire stay. We had our favorites and even enjoyed ordering room service steaks and fish selections as mid-afternoon snacks! In terms of beverages...the drinks were quite tasty. Normally i would ask for top shelf liquor or shots on the side, received them and was always happy.

Location: Great location near Puerto Morelos, small town, just a few tourist shops...very local. If you enjoy feeling like you are off the beaten path, this is a cool little town just 2km away. You can walk there on the beach.

Playa Del Carmen is only a 25 minute cab drive. It's not cheap to get there, but much better town to visit than Cancun if you ask me. Many sights and sounds. Very boutique.

Attractions: They Yuchatan has many great attractions. At the resort, we learned to scuba dive right there and had a great time (twice) scuba diving just off-shore from the resort. We visited two mayan ruins, Coba and Chichen Itza...highly recommend both, and enjoyed doing a zip line and cave swimming excursion with our Coba package. We also used the spa and even though expensive, found it to be awsome. There is even a section of the spa that you can use at no cost from the pool and enjoy a bubble bed and theraputic waterfall. To also add....the pools are great and the layout at the hotel is such that you never feel crowded. They have beds and chairs on the beach and some days it was hard to get a spot...but just throw down a towel.

We are ready to go back to this resort and area again. If you are on the fence...you should find that most reivews of this place are top notch. We lived like kings for 10 days and enjoyed every minute of the amenities, activities and cuisine at Excellence Resort. They always had great activities, decent shows (typical for any resort) and good bars, restaurants and lounges. Great time. Hope you go. Have fun!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank DBTrips-NC
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2009

The name says it all. After staying at Aventura Spa Palace, my wife and I wanted to find a resort to top it. This resort more or less did it. The room and grounds were definitely better. Service was just as good. And the variety of restaurants was fantastic.

I didn't give 5 for service only b/c we had turn down service 2 times during the week. 1 day was my fault, as I had occupied the room while my wife was at the spa, but, they didn't return later on. I was taking a shower at the time and left right afterwards so I see no reason why they didn't return. Other than that, they did have excellent service. I figure 5 star has to be for perfection.

I've been to many resorts and this was the first time I saw a huge tractor which I referred to as the sand zamboni go through the beach tilling the sand in the middle of the afternoon with everyone tanning. A bit peculiar to do it at such a peak time. Night time when everyone is off the beach would make more sense. But, anyways, minor thing, it's just that it was the first time I saw something like that and I've been to 4 all-inclusive resorts previously.

They had fresh coconuts which was nice. But, it was only available for 1 hour at one location. I don't think many people knew about it. I found out only b/c I asked as I love drinking fresh coconut water and do so regularly at home. The stand is located on the beach towards the Excellence Club. When I was walking with 2 of them in my hands carrying them to my wife, I had to walk across the whole resort to the place we were laying at. Three people asked me where I got them. On another occasion, a whole group of friends got up to get them when I sat down. So, I think if more people knew about it, it would have been more popular.

Overall, an excellent resort, from the service, rooms, beach, restaurants (although the Aventura Spa Palace food may be slightly better), gym, and entertainment. One more thing, just like everyone else mentioned, to get a spot on the beach with an umbrella or even the poolside, you have to get up early. Not a problem for us as I am an early riser, but, take note!

7 Thank toucanman
Nashville
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We went to the Excellence Riviera Cancun Valentines Day weekend and we had an awesome trip! Here is a break-down:
Check-in/Rooms: We arrived around 1:30 pm and were greeted with 2 flutes of champagne. We were then taken to the concierge check-in (we had an Excellence Club room) where there was more champagne! The whole process was very speedy and we were in our swim-up suite Club room in no time. It was awesome!! Beautiful marble, bottle of champagne on ice (yes I was feeling it the next day), bowl of fruit, fresh flowers, huge shower, bulgari amenities, jacuzzi tub and gorgeous view of the ocean.
Grounds/Pools: The Excellence club has its own pool, beach & bar so we only hung there and it was awesome. Great service, and very private. There weren't very many people there at all which was surprising because it was a holiday week. The beach is great because they have both sun and shade. They also have these cool canopied beds to take an afternoon nap while listening to the ocean. Loved it!
The grounds are immaculate. The resort was the perfect size, not too big but large enough.

Bars/Restaurants: The bars are great. They'll make whatever you like and if you request higher end liquors they will gladly oblige. Our in-room bar did not have a 1.5 liter of rum so within 5 minutes of me requesting it, it showed up. Nice!
2 mornings for breakfast we ordered room service and it was some of the best food we had. (I saw this on earlier posts before we went and didn't believe it.) The other morning we ate at the Lobster House and it was wonderful, as well.
For lunch on our first day we had the buffet and as buffets go...very nice with a wide variety. Everything from pasta to sushi. I do not recommend getting anything that they grill to order because they will overcook it. The ahi tuna was great and so were the desserts. The second day we had lunch at Oregano the pizza place. The pizza was ok, not awesome but the nice thing is that Oregano is adjacent to the buffet so we (along with a few other people) would slide into the buffet and grab salad, apps, dessert to accompany the pizza. The third day we ate lunch at The Grill and it was really good. Our table sat as close to the ocean as you could and it was the perfect atmosphere.
As far as dinner is concerned, the first night we arrived we ate dinner at the Italian restaurant called Toscana and it was our least favorite dinner. The room (the same they serve the buffet lunch in) felt like an airport hotel banquet room. The food was ok, as were the wines by the bottle. (They do have a list where you can pay an additional fee for better bottles if you choose.) Overall that restaurant was average.
The second night we ate at the Mexican restaurant Agave and that was a much better ambiance. It was small and intimate and the had great guacamole.
The third night was our favorite meal, by far at the French restaurant called Chez Isabelle. The service was fantastic. The food was superb. The wines were great. Everything was awesome. Would definitely recommend that restaurant.

Entertainment: We only went to one show. They have a very nice outdoor theatre with a big bar and it was quite comfy. The show was two women singing hits from the '90s and a guy playing keyboards. (Actually not as bad as it sounds.) I have to say, we were VERY entertained and not because of the entertainment,. The people watching was so good! It was fun to see people let loose and have a good time (i.e. rushing the stage to dance with the singers in the middle of their songs). We did not go to the nightclub.

Spa/Gym: GREAT! I've been to quite a few spas and this one was very nice, mainly because of the service. Everyone who worked there was so kind. My husband and I each got excellence massages and were told to arrive and hour early. When we arrived they gave us a full hydrotherapy treatment (no charge) which was a lot fun. The massage was great and the spa is very nice.
The gym leaves a little to be desired. If you are a fan of cardio there are only 2 treadmills and 2 elipticals. Not enough for all the people desiring to use them. I asked the concierge where I could run and she advised I run the perimiter of the property. I did that for 50 minutes with a flight of stairs between each lap and I was set. If you're into cardio, bring your watch and running shoes and don't even go in the gym. They do have some weights and machines for lifting.
Tipping: Bring $100 in ones for tipping. We tipped everyone and it was always greatly appreciated. The service was wonderful and we wanted to reward and encourage the servers.
Excellence Club vs. the rest of the resort: I liked the Excellence Club because we had a very secluded private pool and the Club had internet, a private bar (best margaritas on site) and great service. The rest of the resort seemed great, as well. The main pool was more lively, there were more activities happening and more people. I prefer a bit more of a secluded trip but if you want to be more social you could definitely party at the main pool. There are also many pools winding throughout the resort so if you were not staying in the Excellence Club but wanted a more "private pool" experience you could easily find that. (Just maybe not with a bar nearby.)
We had a great time at this resort. We have travelled all over the world and it was the perfect place for a 4-day trip. Hope to return!

12 Thank mainash
London
Reviewed March 6, 2009

There are so many reviews about this hotel that the challenge is to write something that offers a different yet useful perspective.

As per the title of my review, for an all-incluive it is a great option - good food, good drink and good service all in abundance! In general there was very liitle to critizise so I offer a few thoughts from our stay.

The swim up rooms vary so much so check when you book which building you are in. In some you can bask in sunshine all day and really benefit from the room...others get no sun at all!

Tipping is 'included' in the price of the holiday - It isnt really. You will generally need to tip staff to get the best service. This is a popular short break destination from the US ,where tipping is often mandatory. For a stay of a few days this is no issue but it can get very expensive over a two week holiday!

The spa is expensive but it is fabulous so give it a try!

This was the first all inclusive holiday we have ever been on and I'm not sure we will go on another as I suspect we might be disappointed having experienced Excellence Riviera.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!