“Perfect Getaway”

Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I chose Excellence Riviera Cancun based on positive reviews from TripAdvisor and other sources. It is definitely the best bang for your buck as far as an all inclusive vacation. We were transported to the resort in a private SUV, who was waiting on us holding a sign with our name. At arrival, every aspect of the resort was clean, and the staff went above and beyond to ensure we were taken care of from the minute we walked in the door to the day we left. The resort is off of the main Cancun strip. So if you're looking for a late night party atmosphere, this is not your place. Even though there are other resorts lining the beach, we didn't even notice they were there. We really enjoyed taking advantage of some activities scheduled throughout each day. Various cooking lessons, kayaking tours, tennis, etc, etc. Must brag on the tennis instructor, Alfonzo. He far exceeded expectations in his instruction and tenacity. He was able to work with all skill levels within the same group, while focusing on different aspects of each individual's game, and creating a customized lesson on the fly. He will stay on you until the fundamentals are correct. Don't go looking for an instructor to tell you how great a tennis player you are! He has one job- making sure you are fundamentally a better player. The nightly entertainment was enjoyable most days of the week. Fire dancing, circus show, native dancing, urban show, casino night (with play money.) We enjoyed a wide variety of restaurants for dinner. The food at each was delicious and well presented- although we did dine at Chez Isabelle multiple nights, as we enjoyed it the most. The beach does have a bit of seaweed and the water isn't clear like that of the Caribbean. We did enjoy getting out in the ocean several times, so it is swimmable/wadable. The resort does clear the seaweed from the sand daily. The only complaint we heard during our stay was from an older gentlemen complaining they didn't have raw fruit for dessert at the dinner buffet...some people will find any way to be miserable. Only word of advice: bring bug spray, and use it during the evening. Mosquitos love tourists, apparently. All in all, we would definitely visit the resort again!

Room Tip: Paid for the upgrade to Excellence Club, and would certainly recommend it. Private check in, pool, b...
11 Thank Tracy T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,584)
  • Korean first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

Went to cancun as part if our honeymoon. The service from start to finish was amazing. The staff could not do enough for you. All the good served at the hotel was great with good choices. Would definitely go again in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Gav198
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

We just returned from ERC and if I could give them six stars then I would! We wanted a place that was relaxing, on the beach, adults only, and top quality service. ERC is this and more!! From the greeting upon arrival with cool towels and champagne to the our last day checking out, we were pampered and provided the most royal service. The restaurants are exquisite!!! I could not believe they could ALL be so good every night during our stay!!! Staff are friendly, smiling and willing to help with any of your needs. No one pressures you to do anything except relax!!! The only thing I was unprepared for were the mosquitoes in the evening!, I left a lot of me in Cancun!! Bring repellent and leave your sweet smelling lotions, etc at home! The spa was amazing with services fit for a king/queen!! The lazy river is addictive and extremely clean, comfortable and fun!! I definitely recommend ERC to anyone wanting quality service and outstanding pampering!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. We had a junior suite spa which overlooked the lazy river and the spa. I wa...
5 Thank T H
Long Beach, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I have read the many poor/terrible reviews for this resort , and can only say shame on me for not reading these reviews before this trip. It would have saved much grief, time, money and physical illness for me as I would most definitely cancelled my trip and forfeited any fees and penalties.
We traveled as two couples and we all agree that experience was dreadful, but I will speak here only for myself and my partner specifically. Everyone should give their own personal account of their trip and share their individual experiences, but I do have their blessing to express in detail every horrible aspect of this trip experience.
Where to begin??
Reservations were made several months before the trip which was July 1-9. These reservations were made directly by us and Excellence Resorts via phone and e-mail confirmation. Both parties specifically requested two King rooms and we're told "yes, of course."
The first "fleecing" occurred when we checked in at the Excellence Club. You see we paid extra for what they call "club level" and expected to only the best resort experience but all went down hill from that check in moment. Our travel mates were assigned their king room and my partner and I were assigned a double queen room as kings all of a sudden we're in short supply.

We were placated by being assured that our room was on the top floor, was a corner room, and "so much of a better view" etc. There was no negotiating this first screw up with them, so we accepted the double queen room and chalked it up to inferior reservation methods.
Upon entering our room we were hit immediately with the smell of mildew that was horrific and unacceptable. We were beside ourselves. I called the front desk and told them that the room had a terrible smell and that I did not want to inhale mold spores as I am very concerned bout the health risks of doing so. It was sickening. They sent someone up to the room who proceeded to light sickening incense and sprayed some nauseating lemon stuff and left telling us to "have an excellence day" . We then unpacked with wishful thinking that the stench would get better. It never did. The resolve of the sickening spray and incense made the stench unbearable so I contacted the front desk once again insisting that we be relocated. They gave us 3 rooms to check out that we're available and I was elated at the prospect of moving. The four of us went on a "smell" tour to these three other rooms only to have them all smell the same with the exception of the last room building 8 on the first floor. It did smell musty but it was the least musty smelling room of the bunch. We ran back to the original musty smelling room #8361 unpacked everything and proceeded to new stinky room #8161. The smell was minimal at that point but still there. We kept it because there was no other option of us. During unpacking for the 2nd time, I noticed that my Mont Blanc pen that I have had for 30 years was missing. I looked frantically through all the luggage and called the desk.
I asked them to reopen the first horrible room so that I could further search the room which took quite some time but someone finally let us in to search. It never was found. The security people I spoke with and the concierge assured me that they would search for it and offered to call the airport to speak to someone in the lost and found there to see if it was left there during the insane immigration process. They never called me to let me know either way if they were successful at locating the pen nor did they ever inform me that they called the lost and found in my behalf. They could not have cared less.....it should be noted that the mildew smell in this room never abated and only got worse when the air conditioner was on which had to be. After unpacking all our things the four of us tried to be philosophical about all the events thus far and decided to go to the beach.

The list of problems/issues/poor service that we experienced were legion and here are some of those problems:

Substandard food in EVERY restaurant that we went to with the exception of the breakfast buffet. There was a 60-90 minute wait every night for dinner at every restaurant and a pager was given to us like you get in a strip mall of an average restaurant. The food was inedible. They have absolutely no idea how to broil a simple steak let alone prepare elegant cuisine. I am a food service professional and trust me, the food at Excellence was sub-standard at best and in my opinion not fresh nor suitable for human consumption. I ordered room service twice and could not identify the "object" that was supposed to be part do a turkey club sandwich. The food on both occasions went into the "Z box" to be picked up and they had to be called 48 hours after it was put there. The hamburger was white on the inside which in my opinion was due to soy extenders being used and only God knows why I ate it. As soon as I finished eating it I knew I was in big trouble. I was "stricken with the revenge" for two days and felt as though I was dying. I never had such stomach pains or the runs like that in my life. During those two days of illness I called room service asking desperately for dry white toast and bananas to stop the runs. Would you believe that they told me "sorry Señora, that is only available for breakfast"!!! I could not get a banana in the late afternoon early evening until I complained to the assistant general manager. Then like magic bananas and toast, which they could not even do right, appeared. It was then that I knew we were in the middle of a nightmare and could only pray that eight days would fly by so that we could go home sweet home. (Imagine wishing your vacation was over)? If there were a way out, the 4 of us wanted to leave but how?
After the illness subsided there was basically nothing I could eat as I never recovered during that entire trip. There were attempts to eat but the food remained consistently sub-standard and my diet consisted largely on bananas.

Another insult to us we're the cheap drinks they tried to serve us, yet another fleecing attempt by Excellence. They boast that they serve you drinks on the beach and that is true. However, after one piña colada you learn that If you want a drink other than a virgin piña colada, one must get up from their lounge on the beach and trek up to the bar and give directions as to how to make a piña colada. They know damn well how it's made, but they tried so many times to skimp on the rum. So please do not be impressed with the "bar service on the beach" features. Here's the best part of bars/food on the beach....they all close at 5:00 pm.... Happy hour! All with the exception of the bar by the main pool which was reminiscent to the insanity of a cheap cruise ship bar. This place has mastered the art of fleecing the paying guest and does so with the famous slogan, "have an excellence day". Oh yes here is another fleecing moment during one of their famous excursions. You go into the town where they drop you off by ferry for one hour to sightsee. You have to use the bathroom somewhere..., finally you go to the bar where they drop you off near, and in order to use the toilet you MUST buy a 10.00 bar drink. Nice right?

When you cannot get a decent meal,a good drink, a room without a mold/mildew smell, when you must wait over one hour every night holding a pager for a sub-standard meal, when you cannot get a banana from room service after breakfast time to stop the runs which you got from their disgusting food, you have to wonder what the hell is happening at this resort?? It was the worst vacation by far that we have ever taken and will never, ever return and will be honest with anyone who asks our opinion about this resort. Shame on you Excellence Riviera. There is nothing excellent about this resort, in my opinion from our experiences of eight days. If I ever hear the parroted "Have an excellence day" again, I will scream. Oh yeah one other thing. They tried to fleece us going back to the airport to home with taxi fare when those transfers were paid in advance. Anyway they can...they will try.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
38 Thank rolin528
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Riviera Cancun to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

We would like to mention that certain room categories offer either a kind size or two double beds and as a resort policy, the suite locations are upon request and subject to availability. Moreover at Excellence, our guest requests are considered priority, and the hotel always do their best to meet guest preferences when possible.

Our guests comfort is very important for us, therefore in every room you can find an aromatherapy system that helps dehumidify, and eliminates bad odors caused normally from the humidity produced from the contrast between the cooled inside air conditioned and the warm air outside the room. When both enter in contact, this produces the humidity, and might caused bad odors. This is something very typical of the tropical climate, especially in the Caribbean whose surroundings are mainly composed by beautiful mangroves. We are sorry to hear that we could not find a solution that could help you to enjoy your time at your Suite.

We are very much concerned by your review since we have high hygienic standards and our staff is well trained on this food & beverages safety practices. The resort undergoes continuous evaluation from external recognized institutions in order to accomplish this goal.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.
Lake Grove, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

The service at this resort was amazing, all the people we came in contact with were always eager, willing and happy to help us with anything and all we needed or wanted. The food was delicious and drinks were great.

Our only downside to the resort, which unfortunately for us was a big one. The water at the beach, was not as beautiful as it is in the other parts of Mexico we have been to. There was an over abundance of seaweed and garbage in the water. There were all kinds of wrappers and plastic floating up to shore and the seaweed was so heavy they had to have a tractor come by constantly to shred the seaweed on the beach. It was so awful that we wouldn't go into the water at the beach and had to use the pool. We feel when we go to an island we want to swim in the beautiful waters at the beach, not spend all of our swimming time in a pool. That was a huge disappointment and would unfortunately deter us from going back or telling our friends to go visit the resort

Room Tip: Water front on the ground level
8 Thank Maryanne L
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

First off, if you are thinking about booking this place for an adults only vacation and it fits your budget, DO IT!!! This place exceeded every expectation that our group could have dreamed of. I will try to provide some insight into why this resort is the place to go! Traveled with my girlfriend (now fiance after this trip!), parents, and my brother and his girlfriend in late June and early July 2014. Here is a breakdown of everything that stood out and everything that I think you should know about the Excellence Riviera Cancun!!

Ocean - Yes, there is seaweed in some spots. But, honestly that did not make one difference to us. We were in the ocean almost every day. We swam to the bouys a few times and played football in the ocean as well! We even jumped off the pier a couple times (before they told us not to). Water is amazing.

Beach - Perfect. Plenty of chairs. Lots of beds too in the front by the water...these have no shade but are nice for a late afternoon nap. Some people save them, but we never had a problem finding one when we were looking. No problems finding chairs with palapa's any day, any time. They do have service out there for drinks. Never asked about food, but they may do that as well. Service was amazing, and even if it wasn't there when we needed there is always a bar within 100 yards anywhere on this property.

Pools - Amazing. There are party pools, relaxing pools, and lazy river (with no current, but still cool). We enjoyed time at each depending on the time of day and what our mood was at the time. If you really want a PRIME spot right by the swimup bar or main pool, you will have to reserve your chairs by 9 AM or so. There's really no need to do that as there are always chairs available somewhere and always a bar within coughing distance. We enjoyed the back pool by our room (building 9) on late afternoons for a nap or just to lay on a raft with a drink. It was very quiet, and often we had the whole thing to ourselves. The beds by these back pools are a great place for an afternoon nap as well! Pools were also a great temperature.

Alcohol - I normally stick to beer, margaritas, occasional whiskey drinks at home. We all splurged here all week. They have just about anything you want. Often, we would just say "Surprise us with a shot, or a frozen drink" and it was always awesome!! By the second half of our trip, we all had our favorites. Banana Mama's, Supermans, Mango margaritas, Pina Colada with Blue Curacao are all amazing! They also serve coffee drinks w/alcohol at the Cafe Cafe Bar from like 4-6 every night I think. Every time we thought of it, we would go grab one! Same goes for the "coconut drinks." Around 11am everyday, they serve a pina colada type drink in freshly cut coconuts on the beach area right by the pool - they make about 50 of them and they go pretty quick. Some of the drinks aren't that strong, so if you're trying to get after it ask for double alcohol!
They also have quite a variety of Mexican beer. Top shelf liquor included Don Julio, 1800, Johnny Walker, Crown Royal, etc. The only disappointment I had was their regular margaritas on the rocks. They were just average. But, by the end of the week, I had figured out how to tell them to make them and they were great! The room also comes with 4 bottles of liquor, a bottle of red, white, Corona, Corona Light, water bottles, Coke, orange juice, diet coke, orange soda, sprite, etc. That is all refillable too whenever you want!! We didn't drink too much in the room, but it was nice to have a glass of white wine or a shot of tequila before dinner some nights!!

Food - Not going to go into too much detail, but 95% of our group's meals were fantastic!! We had lunch at the Grill the first day we got there, and the food was very mediocre. Other than that, I was impressed with every restaurant (tried them all except Basmati) and the breakfast buffet was unbelievable. Also, any time there was a dessert bar, I was in heaven!! Pizza by the pool is decent. Always something to eat somewhere!! Also 24 hour room service that we ordered for early breakfast before an excursion or a late night snack after the disco bar had decent menus to order from. We missed taco day by the beach, but heard it was awesome. Never had a problem getting a table for 6 either. Get in line by the Asian restaurant around 5- 5:30 to get a reservation for Hibachi. This is the only thing you need a reservation for, and it was totally worth waiting in line for 20 minutes!! I wish we would've gone here twice. Men will need long pants and a decent shirt for dinners at all restaurants besides the outdoor seating areas in the Mexican, the Grill, Oregano's, and the Lobster House.

Entertainment - Always something to do. Schedule of daily activities was located by one of the main pools and also on the sheet you get in your room every night at turn down service. The shows were awesome that we made it to!! (I suggest if you really want to see a show, you go to dinner before 6:30 as dinners often times take around 2 hours). Michael Jackson show was awesome! Sports bar/discoteca after hours is actually a pretty good time. There were probably 40 people or so in there both nights we went. Good tequila, good dancing!! We also did some volleyball in the pool a few times. Didn't do much else, the pool and beach were just too great to get away from! If they have the Couples Games while you're there, I would suggest not participating unless you really think you're going to win. It takes over 2 hours. Prizes are pretty awesome, but it looked like it just took way too long. The entertainment staff works EXTREMELY hard, so make sure to let them know how awesome they are (and tip them!). They had the World Cup games on in the theatre every day and even threw a 4th of July party out on the beach complete with a live band, full buffet, theme drinks, wait service, and a mechanical bull! Even fireworks once the sun went down!

Service - There's not enough to say. These people work so freakin hard. We didn't encounter one person that rubbed us the wrong way. Everyone smiles and says "hola" everywhere you go! Don't forget your $1's, $5's, and even $10's for tipping. I made the mistake of bringing all $20's for the most part, and often had a tough time finding someone to get me change. We tipped more often than not, but never felt like it was expected. We usually left between $15-30 after dinner for our group of 6 depending on the meal and service! Make friends with Miguel if he is your bartender one night - he is AWESOME and will take really good care of you anytime he sees you!

Rooms - Standard rooms are amazing and I can't imagine needing anything more. Big jacuzzi in the room, large balcony if you're not on the ground floor, and king bed for everyone in our group. Rain shower was awesome. There is also a clothes line in the shower that really paid off when it came it getting your suits dry! Double vanities, safe, mini bar, nice closet, flatscreen TV (that includes 2 adult channels). Honestly, I don't think the Excellence Club would have been worth the amount of money it costs to upgrade...unless you have a lot of disposable income and that doesn't matter then sure go ahead and do it! Swim up rooms were cool, but not true swim up like I've seen pictures of from other resorts. If you really want a swim-up, I would make sure it's in building 1 or 6. I think they are the buildings that get the beds for their swim outs instead of the two chaise lounges. Beds looked way better for that option. AC is amazing in the rooms. Very cool most of the time. Be careful leaving any doors open as your AC will shut off.
We were in building 9 on the 3rd floor. Honestly, I don't know if there's a bad room in this place.

Resort - Immaculate! Love the layout. There is always someone cleaning and the place looks beautiful all day, every day!! Love that it is spread out but you're also never more than a 10 minute walk away from everything!

Spa - If one thing screamed 5-star resort it was the spa! Absolutely beautiful and they did everything they could to make you feel like royalty. Ask about any specials that week because we lucked out booking on a day where they had a significant percentage off for couples massages - and man was it worth it! Not only were the massages incredible (followed by champagne and chocolate strawberries), but when you book any treatment you get this hydrotherapy session for free - it was SO neat! You basically go through 12 stations that range from steam rooms, cold tubs, saunas, ice rooms where you rub crushed ice all over your body, and multiple water pressure massages that all leave you feeling so refreshed! Definitely do it before any of your treatments you scheduled. Even if you don't want to splurge on a massage, it is well worth it to book the hydrotherapy session on its own - it's around $40 and they even give you a little massage at the end if you are solely doing the hydrotherapy without any scheduled massage afterward. Cannot describe in words how amazing this spa experience was!

Other -
Bridge over pool to the bar/beach gets very hot during day and also slippery.
Lot of the rafts are taken by 10 AM or so, but I never really saw an issue with people looking for them and not being able to find them.
Cold towel and champagne upon arrival. Check in and check out was painless for all 3 couples in our group.
Elevators get HOT
If you want a drink by one of the side pools, it may take a bit longer to get service. Just remember, they can't be everywhere at once and must gravitate towards areas with more people!
If you go deep sea fishing, they will prepare your fish in any restaurant you choose. We had our Tuna in the Mexican restaurant and it was prepared in 2 different ways and was amazing!
Concierge service was awesome here! - They helped me set up a special turn down service for my fiance the night we got engaged at the resort!! They had rose petals everywhere, towel swans on our bed, a hot bubble bath drawn in the jacuzzi, a bottle of champagne, and chocolate strawberries!!!
Also, cleaning service was always great for us. Sometimes it's a bit later in the day, but we never had any problems!
They give you a sheet every night at turn down service with the next day's activities, featured excursions, restaurants open for lunch and dinner, etc.
Room service can take awhile. Plan on an hour even if they say 40 minutes.
Don't forget their is a lunch buffet offered. We didn't find this gem til about our 5th day on the resort!! Their dessert bar is to die for.

Outside Excursions - We booked ours through our travel rep located at the hotel (Amstar). We did deep sea fishing and the Tulum/Akumel trip. We did 6 hours of deep sea fishing for 6 of us, so we got our own boat. I suggest if you drank at all the night before, or you have even a slight hint of sea sickness, take dramamine before departure! It's a long day on the water and a lot of rocking up,down, and side to side! The day we went it was really calm, but also very hot! They pick you up super early as well. We caught about 6 30-35 pound Tuna, and they filet'd them right on the boat for us and bagged them up with ice for us to take back to our hotel. Cool experience, but would I do it again, probably not in the next 10-20 years.
Tulum/Akumel - Unbelievable. Do it. If you like Mayan ruins, beautiful beaches, and snorkeling with cool wildlife (including sea turtles), then this is the one to do. We all loved it! Side note: you do not need to buy the $30 bottle of biodegradable sunscreen they tell you to buy - unless you burn really easily and need to reapply sunscreen all the time. Just don't put on your regular sunscreen immediately before going swimming with the turtles - some chemical reaction it has with the turtle's skin.
While we're on the topic of sunscreen, bring a lot! Don't plan on buying any at the resort because we heard that a single bottle is like $40-$50

Cheap Caribbean - Booked our trip through them...they were amazing, especially our hotel rep Alejandro. Provided all necessary information we needed prior to travel. Beware of other vendors in the airport before you get outside that will pose as your travel company's and try to take you to the resort. Thanks to Cheap Caribbean for warning us of this! Also, shared transfer rides from the airport weren't bad at all. Ours was in a van with 6-8 people with great AC. We even brought beers from the Welcome Bar outside the airport!!

All in all our trip here was outstanding - above and beyond what we expected- and we wouldn't hesitate in coming again!

Room Tip: Honestly, any room is great. Building 9 2nd or 3rd floor is a great quiet area. Building 7 is closer...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
17 Thank Taylor S
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Riviera Cancun have met your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We had such a great time here for my sister's birthday! Everything was perfect! The staff especially! Shout outs to Paola the Pilates and Yoga instructor! So cute and awesome we wanted to bring her home! Arturo for total body conditioning! He kicked our butts! Edwin for the bike ride to Puerto Morelos! What a fun day! The DrumsinParadise.com guys were so fun and funny! My all time favorite waiter at Barcelona, Abraham! He was so accommodating! Mimosa and Mexican coffee! Yeah baby! Love to all that made our vacation and my sister's birthday a huge success!! Can't wait to go back!!

Stayed July 2014
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,645 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!