We stayed at Excellence in June for our anniversary. We have been to Excellence Resorts 5 times and this was our 2nd trip to Excellence Riviera.
We have always loved everything about Excellence and that's why we have returned year after year. However, this year our experience was not like what we have experienced in any of our past visits.
One thing that had not changed was the beach/pool service in the club area. It was wonderful and the servers could not have been more friendly. We had poor service the one day we sat near the spa.
Cleaning and turn down service was hit or miss. Our minibar was restocked daily. Room service took a long time to answer the phone (if they answered) and there was one occasion our order never arrived.
The quality of the food in the restaurants was inconsistent. Some meals were really good and others were average at best. We both ended up with upset stomachs after the first day. (This has never happened during any of our previous trips to Mexico. My husband still isn't back to 100%). The evening shows haven't changed, but this year was our first time to be there during the White Party. This event was well attended and we enjoyed the music. Last year one of our favorite events was the Manager's Cocktail party. There was a theme to the food and drinks that were prepared and the chef explained each one and was available for questions. The managers mingled through the group and they seemed genuinely happy to be there. What we experienced at this year's event was the complete opposite.
My biggest disappointment came on our anniversary. I had emailed the resort in advance to reserve the wine cellar and I received a confirmation email.
On our way in from the beach the day of our anniversary we stopped in the club to confirm our reservation time. We were told we did not have a reservation. I showed my confirmation email and was told the wine cellar wasn't available because it was being used for a meeting. It appeared that our reservation had been removed because they needed the room for a meeting and no one bothered to contact us. We were offered the wine cellar for two nights later but nothing was offered for our anniversary evening. They told us they would compensate us for the cost of the wine cellar, but when we got there and ordered wine we found that they didn't include the cost of a bottle of wine. So exactly what was "compensated"? No one ever followed up afterwards.
Overall we feel like attention to details is not what it was in the past.
We love a lot of things about Excellence (the friendliness and dedication of the workers, the amenities, the size and locations of the resorts, the rooms, etc) however after this trip I do not think we will return to Excellence Riviera.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Excellence Group LLC, Orbitz, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos