14,823 results
All reviews lazy river chez isabelle lobster martini bar the grill flavor market sol bar spa view barcelona restaurant club pool room service our honeymoon french restaurant las olas club level michael jackson show swim up room
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I traveled here solo as a present from my (wonderful) husband (as our trip to Cancun in March was a bit rainy, & hubby had to work some of holiday). My stay was for 4 nights, April 4-8, 2014.
Background: I/we have stayed in different areas of Mexico/Caribbean at both all-inclusive's approx 20 different visits. We love Mexico, and this area in particular (Riviera).
I AM LONG WINDED>>>BE WARNED :)

The front desk
Was a pleasant experience. This was a a great surprise, as this is where we usually find it most frustrating, when we visit a resort. My room was ready at 1pm when I arrived, and my experience was one where I thought I was being cared for, and indeed felt like they cared about my overall stay. Very professional, and friendly. so off to a great start!

he fellow who brought my luggage and showed me my room was thorough in explaining different things about my room, & various things about the resort. I was in Block 1, 3rd floor room 5. 1305. I had a king bed, and in the bath-room area (open to the room) was a separate shower area with its' own door, and a toilet area with its own door, double whirlpool tub and double vanity. There was shampoo, conditioner, liquid bath soap, hard soap, shower cap,, shoe shine cloth, hair comb, shaving kit (cream and shaver), emergency toothbrush and travel size Colgate toothpaste! I had all the towels and face-towels provided each day. My hair is shoulder length, and the hair-dryer provided was perfect. In the fridge were beer, coke, diet coke, orange pop, sprite, small white wine, water and snickers bar, m&m's and oreo cookies!! I also had tea and coffee making, and two bags of plain chips. they also gave me a full bottle of red wine, liquor - vodka, tequila and whiskey. Each room has a nice balcony or patio with seating.

I did ask to be upgraded (and paying for the upgrade) to a swim-up suite, but none were available during my stay. I'm glad now I didn't get one. The swim up suites are of course at ground level, which can access the pool, however, you are not guaranteed to have steps down to the pool by your room side. Most did not. Also, there is a grassy area that separates your room/patio from the pool. I also asked to be put closer to the beach, but none were available at that time. No problem, as I did discover, the over-all layout was a clever design, nothing is further than 5 minutes from anything here. Each suite over-looks the pool and/or ocean. Each room is basically the same, with some in each block being a bit longer. Very easy for all to navigate the resort.

RESTAURANTS:
Breakfast: Service was amazing. I dined each morning at the breakfast buffet - Barcelona-Toscana. You can sit in or out-side while at the buffet. The level of food quality is above what we normally experience at most all-inclusive 5 star resort buffets. The level to service here is also above average. You can also choose to dine off the menu at the open air restaurant (Lobster-house) that is normally a sea-food restaurant for lunch and dinner. I am allergic to seafood, so I chose not to have breakfast here (just in case:))
Lunch:
Again, I ate at the buffet (Barcelona), I also dined at an open-air restaurant that is bedside the main pool/swim up bar - The Grill. I had a bad experience here with unfriendly service. It was after the normal lunch hour at 2pm. However, the grill is open until 3pm. I felt rushed, & my server was not a "happy camper". I also had lunch at Las Olas at the Beach. One day they had entertainment at Las Olas, a 3 piece band playing hits from 70's and 80's. Great idea!
Dinner:
I am sorry to say that I did not experience the food at any of the main restaurants each evening. My choice though, as I was traveling solo, I chose to order in room service for my evening meal. I heard around the pool that most really enjoyed their experiences at dinner both with service & food.
I can say that the room service menu, while slightly limited, was very very good, and delivered quickly (within 45 minutes). It was always delivered by friendly smiling, professional fellow, and the food was kept hot and placed nicely in my room.

Drinks:
hey were very good here. Banana Daiquiri's were made with real bananas, and not a mix. Not everything held the same....for instance, my strawberry drinks did not have any real fruit. However, the majority of the drinks were made very well. The service both at the outside bars around the pools and by attendant who comes around the pool/beach areas was very friendly, with only a few exceptions. The special coffee's were especially good at the Cafe Kafe bar. There was always a "drink of the day". Make sure you try the "iceburg" drink!!
The vodka etc. was not top shelf. You had to be staying on the "club side" to achieve that. That is one downfall of some resorts to myself & my husband. When paying a premium to stay at an adults only resort, that is calling itself 5 star, there should be consistent service, products throughout. I don't like to get there, and see another section that you must upgrade to. Fine if the resort wants a premium paid for ocean side rooms, but not for service or things like liquor product.

Entertainment/Activities:
I joined in with the yoga class one afternoon. I teach yoga for a living. I found the instructor to be very friendly, but the postures/poses were too advanced for the average person. I was shocked at some that were taught to persons with unknown abilities.
Water Aerobics was fun, and I watched the Vball games in which were played at the main pool. They do a good job with activities, and they are well varied. Everyone is extremely friendly doing the entertainment.
You are given a turn-down service each night. Should you chose not to have the service, you may want to put a do not disturb sign on the door. One evening - I had fallen asleep early at 9pm, I awoke to a visitor standing over my bed! Turn-down service !
You are given a sheet called the "Excellence Times" each eve. under your room door with the next day's info on it; spa info, tours & excursions, evening shows, activities/entertainment, specials, restaurant info and also a note regarding no saving of pool/beach chairs.
You are also given a wee separate note with the weather conditions of the next day. I thought this was very thoughtful.
If you do save a chair/lounger, you are left with a a copy of the "excellence times" with guest services regarding pool loungers circled and the time written in.
As I was a solo traveler,& did not par-take of the prior eves entertainment, I was an early AM riser, and got to my chair at around 6:30am. I would read for half an hour, then take a wee dip in the pool when it officially opened. There were maybe one or two people who did this. I do appreciate that they are taking steps to stop lounge hoggers, but I was using mine, and when I swam in the pool only to get back 15 min. later to a note over and over in the AM, I didn't appreciate it. I did go for breakfast & take my things off the lounger at 8am, but when I got back to the pool 30 min. later- all the loungers in the "prime" spots (with umbrellas) were taken, with no one there. Notes were there, but the persons sometimes didn't show for hours. I was only gone 15 mins!! There has to be a better way. I know it happens every place we go to - but something different has to happen.

Over-all,The workers -
Work incredibly hard. Most are so warm and friendly. I tipped a bit deeper, as service was so genuine. -about $150.00CDN in Mex. pesos 4 day stay (housekeeping, fridge attendant, meals, drinks, porters, etc). They do make you feel valued. Not just a forced "Hola", but most asked how long I was there for, or where I came from, or was I having a good stay etc.
I would say this spot is above 5 stars when it comes to service. Yes, there were a few that were not, but that was certainly the exception.
The pool:
Was a good temp. while there. The main pool by the swim up bar was a bit cooler, but it was refreshing in the afternoon. You can swim along the lazy river type pools and get a pretty good work-out. You do have to get out and enter to the next section a few times, but no biggy.

The beach-
Nice in that the waves were not too big the first two days. The water is a bit murky, and yes there are spots where you will find seaweed compared to PDC or Tulum area. The beach line clean-up (sea-weed) is done by tractor each morning. Not as much turquoise colour as the other areas along the coast either. There are not as many people on the beach as other spots I have stayed. Not the best beach along the coast, but nice to take a "small" dipfloat in. Red flags on one day while there...high winds.
Shopping;
On resort, there is a silver shop, a cigar store, a small clothing/hat/t-shirt store, and upstairs by the lobby is another shop selling needs like shampoos, lotions, toiletry bag items, and other souvenirs.

Negatives
You do have to be up early enough in order to get shade. I would say they need a few more umbrellas here. There are spots in the pool where tiles are missing. Some where I scraped my foot on, and had to have it bandaged. Nothing was done with these missing tiles in particular or the loose ones during my stay. There were a few persons who were not friendly. Very few however.
Two out of the 4 days there was some rowdiness by the main pool (by the beach). One group were younger - people beside my lounger said the group were there for a wedding. Anyhow, the entertainment person got them to do a drinking game with tequila. One young girl got over-drunk and started taking off clothing later in the afternoon, another four were walking around the pool loud, with glass drinks & cigarettes dropping them into the pool. I'm sure this is not the norm, it did ruin an afternoon for me. I was hoping security would put an end to it. The next afternoon, I went to the beach so I wouldn't have to bother with it.

Overall, this trip was about relaxation and it mainly delivered! Food was above average, and grounds were beautiful. Would I/we go again, possibly.

Room Tip: All rooms face the pool system. Clever design/layout makes all locations a good choice! However, if you want ocean view - pay for it in advance to be sure to get it!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
12  Thank trip-together
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Spent 4 nights at this resort to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We enjoyed our stay very much. The restaurants were good and overall the service was excellent. Our only sub-par service was at the Indian themed restaurant called Basmati. Not bad service, just not great. We received spa services from Mille and they were fantastic(highly recommend Olivia!) We spent most days on the beach under a palapa and Mable was the most attentive server I have ever encountered. She learned everyone's name and remembered their drinks every day!! I would highly recommend a stay here although sometimes it would be a bit loud at night with live bands playing but they usually stopped by 10:30pm.

3  Thank Kattnyp2930
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is one of the best hotels We have stayed in and didn't want to go home we really enjoyed it . The only thing I would say is that as its an all adult hotel that maybe there should be more music round the main pool bar and that the night entertainment should go on for longer . Oh the spa was amazing please try it . X

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Jenny657
Reviewed April 15, 2014

All in all the Excellence Riviera Cancun was a great experience. Its a huge resort on a beautiful beach, tons of amenities. The pool and the lazy river were so fun and the nightly entertainment was a hit. Staff is super friendly and accommodating.
My one and only issue was with the restaurants, if you are a foodie and enjoy going out for a nice meal this resort is not for you.
First night at the Grill I had ordered filet mignon with steamed veggies, the filet was completely charred on the outside and the veggies were not fresh but frozen vegetables. The Lobster house only serves fish so I didn't eat there cause my boyfriend doesn't eat seafood and they had no non-seafood selections. To my surprise the buffet provided the freshest, tastiest food - I suggest eating there for breakfast and lunch daily. Other than that the only other restaurants where I had an OK meal were the French restaurant and the Mexican one.
I will most likely not do an all inclusive again because for me it doesn't pay I don't drink a lot and like to eat healthy, fresh food which I have never received at an all inclusive resort.
But other than that the resort was great!

4  Thank ak9574

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. On the other hand, we are disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences.
We also would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

we just returned home from the excellence riveria cancun for the second vacation at this destination. the property is very clean and well maintained. the guestrooms were a bit musty but not to bad that it bothered you. we book under the excellence club so we can have a few additional perks to our vacation. the club poolside and beach side offered our own bar area and more comfortable lounging. the bartenders Moises, Maybel and Reuben were excellent. They seem to really love their job and catering to us vacationers. our favorite restaurant was Chez Isabelle and we ate there three times we enjoyed it so much. we had Benjamin as our waiter and on our third night there, we specifically asked for him because he was great! we would definitely go back but may venture to the new excellence resort coming soon....the finest majueres!

Room Tip: book the excellence club, ocean view! - it's great
1  Thank Melissa R