“We keep coming back!”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
ELBRIDGE
“We keep coming back!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was our third trip to Excellence riviera Maya and we continue to LOVE this resort! This year we decided to upgrade to the "Excellence Club" rooms, which have clear views of the ocean and are closer to the beach and most of the restaurants. While the room itself was identical to the other rooms we've stayed in before, the location was an advantage, as my husband has some mobility challenges and is uncomfortable with too much walking. The Excellence Club also has other perks, including a dedicated pool and beach area which we enjoyed, premium liquor, which didn't really matter to us, private check-in which was very nice, and the Excellence Club lounge, which had snacks and drinks throughout the day and was a lovely indoor spot.

As always, the food was great, the grounds were immaculate, and there were plenty of options for things to do. But what really sets this resort apart from the rest is the incredible service. Everyone, from the gardeners and electricians to the waiter to the concierge staff, is always smiling, pleasant, and helpful. We just can't say enough about how wonderful the people are here.

I also want to mention the yoga classes offered at Excellence. I've been studying yoga for almost 10 years and am quite picky about yoga instructors. During our 7 days at Excellence, I enjoyed three yoga classes with Paola, a lovely young instructor. Her beach-front classes were well-taught and soothing, and appropriate for just about any level yoga student. I also took one class with a man whose name I did not catch. His class, held on the terrace of the spa, was definitely more challenging. He is obviously an amazing yogi himself, and a good teacher, but I wouldn't recommend his classes to beginners. I think it would be a good idea for the resort to identify his classes as more advanced, and Paola's classes as more gentle yoga.

We are already blocking out dates for another visit to Excellence in 2015. It's absolutely wonderful!

Room Tip: All rooms have basically the same layout (except the rooftop honeymoon suites), but the Excellence C...
7 Thank CAROL B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,640)
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2014

You won't be disappointed! We have been to a few all inclusives and did a lot of research for this trip after learning what we wanted from previous ones, which was good food and great service - and this place exceeded our expectations. Mind you, we upgraded to the Excellence Club and I think that is what really made it. We weren't sure if it was going to be worth it, but so glad we did. The pool for the club is warmer than the main pools, had lovely lounge beds all around it, and the service from all the bar staff was amazing. Reuben, Moises, Rosalba and Melissa took excellent care of us...always asking if we wanted anything and always had a smile. Also, club members can stop into the club's reception area anytime for gourmet nibblies and treats, and a killer martini before dinner or espresso in the morning. Service in the club area from Amable was great too! We wish we had figured that our sooner than later! The food was really good, and the breakfast buffet was great. My only suggestion for management is the excellence club area didn't have a washroom closer by...not a huge deal but for those who don't have elephant bladders, or a swim up on the ground level, it would have been nicer. Also, I would get a swim up room next time so you have some shade in the afternoon when you may want it as there are only 6 umbrellas around the pool, but there are plenty on the beach behind. I'm a pretty particular person with high expectations so believe me when I say you'll love it.

Room Tip: excellence club swim up room that is facing the beach. Good shade in the afternoon...
8 Thank cindy r
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 12, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this Excellent resort from April 2 through April 7. . I have been on six cruises, and have been to an all-inclusive before. Excellence Riviera Cancun truly is the winner.
From the moment we arrived, they make you feel like royalty, but never out of place. We got a glass of champagne and a cool towel. We proceeded through the beautiful lobby, and down to the MARTINI BAR, which became one of our favorite pit stops.
The scenery is breathtaking, as well as the service, the food and the numerous cocktail options,
I am a bartender, and it was interesting to try some their specialties. I enjoyed the" Coco-Locos" at 11:00 am by SOL BAR by the beach, the" Iceburgs","Bob Marleys" and "Dirty Monkeys".
They had plenty of activities including Zumba, Water Aerobics & Bingo just to name a few. With 10 bars, 8 restaurants and 6 pools there is room for everyone to find a spot to unwind.
No reservations are required, but the French Restaurant is the most popular, so get there early. Basmati served Indian food and was very good as well. Every morning the brunch at the BARCELONA was a great way to start the day. Lovely views of the beach and over two rooms full of breakfast offerings allowed you many options.
Every single employee greeted us with a smile and an "Ola" when you would pass them. Nightly entertainment was provided and was very good. We especially loved Claudia on Wednesday night in the plaza. She was very talented as well as the two musicians that accompanied her.
Lots of people that we met were there on return trips, and I could see why. We will surely be back and highly recommend it to anyone. It truly was Heaven on Earth !!!!

Room Tip: We were in Spa 4 building, and it was a little far from the beach, but we had a beautiful view of th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank CinSenn
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a two week stay our second visit to this resort and what a difference a year makes! We were very dissapointed at how the standards have dropped in the last year at this resort!
On our first trip we could not fault the resort it was a first class five star resort but this year I can only say that it is now an average resort.
This is nothing to do with how hard the staff work as that is not questionable they are all very friendly, helpful and try and do whatever they can for the guests but the attention to detail of supervision and management checks is just not there anymore. The management need to up their game and ensure that more checks are made throughout the resort.
Examples: Toilet block had no soap or means of drying your hands in either the gents or ladies for three days! Rooms were not cleaned to an agreed timing even though the hotel asks if you would like this service done by a certain time of day to just ask. Clean towels not always left even though the dirty ones have been removed. Hairdryer was in a dangerous condition and glowed red and smoked heavily on the first use. Patio door handle hanging off. Lovely loaves of bread on display for breakfast but no breadboard, knife or butter, this took 20 minutes to arrange after speaking with two or three different members of staff! These may all seem small things but as the holiday went on there was more and more of these small things happening all the time.
New rules introduced " Pool Police" they seem to patrol the site and leave notes on your sun bed to say you cannot reserve the sun bed even though you may have just gone to fetch a coffee or to take a swin. If you are not back within 40 minutes they remove your items, we even witnessed that they hid in bushes near to when the time was up then collected any goods left and put them into a bag and took them off to lost property,how bizarre is that? What is one supposed to do with their clothes etc. when they swin? Is a couple supposed to go for breakfast seperately to avoid losing a nice quiet area they intend to stay at all day because of poorly thought out "New" rules!!!
I fully appreciate that sunbeds should not be reserved if you have no intention of using them and where guests going off elsewhere for several hours on end should not expect to reserve a bed they are not going to use but for the guests that like to get up early and go down to the pool area and have a quiet read before breakfast or even a swin to come back and their personal possesions have been removed is frustrating and frankly not necessary. The hotel was not very full at all so it was not as though there was any waiting list for a bed. The "Pool Police" did turn a blind eye to certain other rules though like where guests hid pool floats under towels or in the porch areas of the ground floor accommodation not to mention ignoring guests taking glass bottles into the lazy river which if broken could cause some real serious injuries.
Many guests were complaining to each other whether they conplained to the management I don't know.
Maybe we were just very unlucky on this holiday but we had paid a lot of money for what was supposed to be a first class resort and we felt that we did not get value for money on this occasion.

Room Tip: Rooms around the lazy river are quieter and if you want to avoid the "Pool Police" then ta...
5 Thank SueSh66
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Riviera Cancun.

We really appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay. On the other hand, the Resort brings to our attention the fact that has implemented a new inspection procedure at the pool and beach area that looks to avoid or reduced to the minimum the practice of “saving” the lounges bed without being on use.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

We will forward your comments and suggestions to the above mentioned departments as your feedback is very important to us since it helps us improve on a daily basis.

Please receive our warmest greetings from Cancun.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I want to especially thank Sergio, Kepler, and Maricela for the amazing service and for making our trip very comfortable. They were always smiling, especially Sergio. They provided me and my friend with great service at the pool. We will hopefully come again soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Tatyana G
Spencer, Iowa
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was my second stay at this Excellence property and it was even better than the first time. ALL of the resort's staff were so friendly and helpful, but the concierges in the Excellence group were outstanding!! Any need we had was taken care of immediately. I traveled with my parents and sister for my 50th and my father's 75th birthday and they could not believe the fantastic service throughout the resort. The food is excellent, there are plenty of floaties and towels (unlike many resorts in the area that I have also stayed at), and everything is SO clean and tidy.

BTW - if you enjoy snorkeling, don't bother going off resort. The snorkeling excursions offered onsite at the resort are outstanding. You are a 3 minute boat ride from the coral reef. We even saw a couple of small sharks!
We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the nightly music (which ends around 10pm) are quieter. I think the Excellence Club...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Angela38410
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Our honeymoon was everything we could of dreamed of and more. We weren't sure how everything would turn out as we have never done an all inclusive before and sometimes reading the bad reviews would concern us but once we got there we had no worries. They were all washed away by the fantastic service and wonderful time. We have to give to give props to Gustavo at Barcelona who after the 2nd day knew us by name, knew what we liked to drink before we ordered and would talk to my husband at length about anything. Luis & Israel, the entertainment guides were FANTASTIC...really they made our trip perfect...thank you so much for the great service! Karen Camacho at concierge always helped us to book anything we needed or if we had any questions got them answered right away. Fernando at Alegria, you made the best drinks at the night club....I wish I could figure out the rainbow shot as it was so delish! Alfredo at Agave you were wonderful and so helpful at the fiesta night and at the restaurant. Maxamiliano at Blue Bar, thank you for always remembering us and just talking with us to make us feel comfortable...you made fabulous drinks! Paula - thank you for helping me do the yoga on the beach as I had never done yoga before but you always helped me out and thanks for teaching us the mud therapy These are some tips that we learned while we were there: Beach walks are wonderful and esp. at night the water is warm late at night and early in the morning. Yes there is seaweed and it's not crystal blue water but it's still beautiful and relaxing. The Mango Tango drink was my go to drink...don't miss it! I crave it even now and it's been five months. The rainbow shot goes down so smooth...it's another must! Dirty Banana & Banana Mama are amazing! Everyday at noon they hand out coco loco's (Drink in a coconut) on the beach and do it until they run out so get there early! We took a private taxi driver to cancun and it was the best decision. The driver was so informative of everywhere we wanted to go that it really helped us to know what we were doing. Spice & Chez Isabel were our favorite restaurants. We did hibachi the first night we were there and we really think it helped us to start to get to know other people staying at the resort and make friends. Rock & Burger day is so much fun...don't miss it! Mexican Fiesta night is another great night. The Aqua therapy is AMAZING and so worth every penny. It's really fun to share the experience with your significant other. We opted to then have a night massage on the beach and it was really fun to hear the real ocean in the background and not the CD of it. I'm a big fan of bingo so it was a lot of fun playing with Israel! Poker with Luis was excellent...just remember it's channel 38 not all in! The fire show on Bohemian night was fantastic and so much fun. Dance lessons were a lot of fun to do as a couple. We really enjoyed Alegria the dance club to just dance the night away. The Iced Hazelnut Coffee is amazing...try it! Room service in the morning was so nice and relaxing that I def. recommend it. The Michael Jackson show was so much fun. Don't forget that you get an Activity list every night at turn down and it gives you so many things to do the next day if you are in to that. Thank you Excellence for a fantastic honeymoon, your food, service, entertainment and everything you offer was everything we dreamed of! We hope one day we will make it back to your hotel to enjoy another fantastic time!

Room Tip: We stayed in block 6 in a swim up and the location was perfect. But if we did Excellence again we w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,717 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!