Excellence Riviera Cancun
$444
$248
$173
Official Site
Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
$263
$178
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort(Puerto Morelos)
$317
$232
$566
Cancelon
13,865 results
All reviewslazy riverchez isabellelobstermartini barthe grillflavor marketsol barspa viewbarcelona restaurantclub poolroom serviceour honeymoonfrench restaurantlas olasmichael jackson showclub levelswim up room
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We did a couples retreat with 16 of our friends in October of 2013. The place was amazing. We asked to have rooms close to each other but we were kind of spread out into 2 groups. That would be the only negative of our trip. Seating for 18 for dinner was not an option but kind of expected. The nightly entertainment was great. We had a third floor room. A couple we were with upgraded to the swim up suite which i would reccomend, that was very nice option. Rooms and staff were great. I totally expect to visit this resort again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a swim up suite, well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James U
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This review is a bit late, but I want to write about our awesome experience. We stayed in June 2013 after going through a tough year, we needed this break. We booked the Excellence Club swim out suite. If you love luxury, the excellence Club is Worth Every Penny. I loved relaxing on a four poster bed on the beach every day, it doesn't get better. The beach Club concierge are awesome. Sergio is great! They walk you to your beach bed, roll out towels for you (don't even have to carry them) it was ridiculous but we loved it! There is an Evian spritz service, they will spray your face or give you a glass of champagne. This is all part of the club beach service.
The Club lounge is sweet. Treats abound...there is a special buffet for guests and menu changes daily. Cute selections. We received and invitation to an Afternoon Tea with managers. They really went all out with cakes, tarts, cookies, chocolates, ice cream treats and more.
The swim out suites are nice, our room was well kept and located on the corner in building 8. The fridge is stocked to the brim, they include wine and sweets too. Maid service was excellent. Our terrace loungers by the pool were supplied with towels before we even got up in the morning. Room service is superb, great selections, lots of choice.
The Club concierge treated us like royalty. We were given a dinner for two on the beach! It was like a dream. We preselected our individual menus that consisted of 5 courses. We had a photographer take nice pics. During dinner a harpist came out of the blue and played our fave 'quantanamera' in a sweet melody on his harp.
Could it get any better at Excellence? Yes! We were treated to a relaxing couples massage and hydrotherapy circuit. If you are a club guest, hydrotherapy is included with your stay. The Mille spa is divine! The lovely gal who rubbed my shoulders after the hydro circuit gave me a small sample of the massage cream she was using because I commented how much I loved the scent! Oh these people really make the place shine!
The Indian restaurant Basmati is super! Food is declicious at the steakhouse too. The pizza oven at the beach is awesome. Breakfasts were eaten al fresco daily. I could go on about how much we Loved Excellence. They are service focused and it shows. Ps: the BVLGARI toiletries in the club rooms are a nice touch (equivalent to four seasons hotels). 5 STARS!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank thebittytraveler
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed for 5 days over Valentines Day weekend 2014 with a group of 5. The resort is beautiful. We stayed in the swim up rooms in the Spa 3 building. It was very quiet in this part of the resort and we could always find a large poolside bed to lounge in, but you cannot see/hear the ocean at all. It is more difficult to find a cabana or beach bed near the main pool or ocean. Although, you are not supposed to reserve them, each morning early they would all have stuff on them with no one in sight. I wish they would've enforced the rule better.
The room was incredible. Very large with lots of space. The shower was enormous with a large (big enough for 2) rain showerhead with excellent water pressure and plenty of hot water. It had an indoor and small outdoor jacuzzi tub which we did not use.
My favorite part was you could walk the beach for miles in both directions. About a 35 minute walk south leads you to the town of Port Morelos. There's a great public beach with a bar/restaurant with clean bathrooms called Unico. The town felt very safe and the stall vendors were respectful and didn't hawk at you. Just a FYI- you will pass a "clothing optional" beach about halfway on your way into town which surprised us. We took a snorkeling cruise which went to the "National Park" reef only 5 minutes from Port Morelos. Best snorkeling ever! Even better than our favorite spots in Hawaii. We made 2 snorkeling stops. The water was only 5-12 ft. deep in both places. The reefs are beautiful but we were amazed by the quantity and variety of fish we saw including a sea turtle and rays. The guide who took us stayed in the water with us and pointed out many things we may have missed otherwise. We signed up with Olympus tours on a small boat (it takes up to 10 but we had our own private group of 5). Because they limit the permits for the boats, not all tours go to the best areas. Make sure to ask about the reef. It was also a great trip for people who get seasick (like me) because you spend very little travel time in the boat. Most of the time is spent in the water. We also used the spa and got a couples massage which was very relaxing. Because we did a last minute appt. at the end of the day, they allowed us to come back the next day to experience the H20 therapy which was included in the spa services. It's a series of steam room, whirlpool jet stations, etc. Absolutely unique, lots of fun, and so relaxing!
The drinks were excellent not the usual syrupy drinks you get. Overall, the food was good with a few just OK meals. The only real problem we had was that the resort seemed to have a very difficult time seating our group of 5 people. We would arrive and there would be plenty of tables, but we were always told we had to wait (sometimes over an hour). I don't know if they just weren't staffing well so they couldn't handle a full restaurant or what the problem was. Having to wait while sipping Mango margaritas is not such a terrible thing. Some restaurants would give you a beeper so you could walk around too.
My only caution is to make sure you count your cash. Twice we came back to our room and our safe was unlocked. We were sure we had locked it before we had left.. As far as we could tell, I think a $20 was taken each time.
Overall, I would highly recommend the resort.

6  Thank mu86warior
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I met another couple at Excellence for a group vacation. It was more than I had expected, it was absolutely incredible! The restaurants were all wonderful, the service was top notch, the facilities were soooo clean! I can't really think of one thing that wasn't at least 4 star. We really had just a great, great time.
Our days consisted of meeting up for breakfast and then making the difficult decision to sit out by the pool or the beach. Once that piece of business was taken care of, the rest of the day was spent in the sun with drinks flowing freely. Sometimes, it did take the waitstaff a while to get to you, but there were so many bars around with immediate service that the worst that could happen is that you ended up with 2 drinks at once. You could eat lunch at the beach with a different theme each day, grab a pizza at the main pool bar, or at one of the restaurants.
The bar staff and a seemingly endless supply of drink ideas - both alcoholic and none alcoholic. They leave a newsletter in your room every night with the next days activities and featured drinks. I should have paid more attention to that newsletter! My favorite drink was called a Hemingway, but seems to be known by that name only at Excellence. It's a mojito made with champagne, and it is light, refreshing, and delicious.
We did take an excursion to Tulum which included an adventure tour. It was easy to book onsite, the staff was super helpful, and there was no problem with us taking some of Excellence's pool towels with us.
Thanks to Beach Bum Vacations for coordinating our vacation. We will be back!

2  Thank MoonNessie
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I cannot begin to explain how much we loved our stay at the Excellence resort in Rivera Cancun. They did everything in their power to accommodate every want and need we had! The food was flavorful ('Lobster House' and 'Agave' the Mexican Restaurant were our Favs..but we loved them all!) Service was phenomenal and the drinks were plentiful! We cannot wait to go back! I highly recommend this resort.