Excellence Riviera Cancun
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$421
$305
Bookit.com
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita(Puerto Morelos)
$590
$460
$269
$231
Official Site
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort(Puerto Morelos)
$265
$462
$448
Acamaya Reef(Puerto Morelos)
$40
Hotel Arrecifes Suites(Puerto Morelos)(Great Value!)
$68
$66
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
13,695 results
All reviewslazy riverchez isabellelobstermartini barthe grillflavor marketsol barspa viewbarcelona restaurantclub poolroom serviceour honeymoonfrench restaurantlas olasmichael jackson showclub levelswim up room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We spend 14 days over Christmas and New Year and would definitely go back to this all inclusive resort. The food was fantastic and a very friendly staff. As we arrived to our room we could smell the the mildew and mentioned this to our bellboy. We where contacted immediately by the front desk and offered a different room which was to our satisfaction. It was impressive how efficiently our problem was resolved.
The entertainment was very professional. New Years Eve party was fantastic.
This was one of the better all inclusive places we visited.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room make sure to let the staff know.
3  Thank Helena S
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

The cleanest, most Beautiful place I have ever stayed. The Service was Phenomenal, as was the Food. You need never leave the Resort during your stay, everything you need is there including shopping for souvenirs.
If you should choose to sight see there are plenty of options: we got help from the Jr Excellence Club to book a private tour to Tulum and 3 of us were chauffeured in a new SUV to and from and we had our own personal tour guide, who spoke exceptional English as did our driver.

As for the trip to Chichen Itza we booked bus tour thru Amstar with Cancun Passion tours and had wonderful guides and a very nice bus to travel in.

Excellence Riviera took care of all of our needs

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Laurel M
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We travel to Mexico at least four times a year and we rarely repeat places unless they are just top notch. We have developed our favorites. I have been to about sixty resorts now: To date my top two still remain Secrets Maroma Beach, and Iberostar Grand. If you are traveling with kids go to Barcelo Palace. Now for this Excellence review: Excellence Riveria Maya kind of falls out in the middle of the pack. There were things they did well and areas where they were more than a little lacking.

First what was as expected. The rooms are nice but not phenomenal. They were clean and reasonable but not luxurious. The food was reasonable but not as good as some other places we have been. The french restaurant I thought was one of their best options. The filet was really nice there. The other restaurants were very edible but this is not food you would seek out if it were a restaurant at home. The grounds were lovely and well kept. The staff was by in large really friendly. What was lacking was entertainment staff. They weren’t even around to do the posted activities during the day. There was no volley ball unless the guests started a game. There were just very few activities period. I don’t think a single one of them introduced themselves to us all week. Usually by the end of a week we know everyone. My husband is pretty sporty and I am sort of a large personality. We are not shrinking violets. No one was just super engaging or anything. The service was adequate. Some people were a little friendlier than others. Still no one stands out and usually every resort has someone who really is fabulous. Not this place. The bartenders were good at the lobby bar, some at the pool bar were better than others. You could get top shelf liquor here if you wanted it. Drinks were by in large good, with a few exceptions.

The week we were there we unfortunately had really bad crappy weather. It rained for six days straight. Not a little rain like monsoon style down pours for days. That made the beach and pool a complete no go.

Now this is where this resort could have shown but they just were terrible. Usually if the weather is bad a hotel will get the entertainment staff to get some games or activities going on in the theater or lobby. I barely saw entertainment staff all week. Its like since it was raining they just all went home. It was kind of terrible. People were so unhappy and just sat around reading. One day after four days of rain they had pole dancing lessons in the theater. It was the only activity I saw them have all week. Weird choice for that crowd but ok. I mean how many fifty year old women are going to put on their stripper heals and do pole dancing in front of strangers. Needless to say they didn’t get many takers. Still at least they bothered to to do something that day. What I am saying is the activities around here are severely lacking. The entertainment staff is invisible/ non existent. A few small details like this would make this place much better.

Over all I was sort of disappointed considering the reputation this place has. I would not put this one on the repeat list. It’s ok but it’s not great . There are other better resorts for the price.

Room Tip: stay close to the main building
4  Thank SterlingSmithJames
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We also regret that our entertainment offer was not of your full satisfaction. Excellence assures tranquility but never boredom. We offer a full array of leisure activities for body, mind and spirit to relax—or recharge. Our Excellence guests can enjoy bicycle tours, tennis lessons, board games and also live music, shows and many other daily entertainment. Our entertainment program is deliver to your room the day before within The Excellence Times. Our activities schedule is also available on a board between the theater and our main swimming pool.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed here from january 7-16 and it was great all around! The spice restaurant was our favorite and dont miss the rodizio special at the grill!! The road leading in is terrible and it is not uncommon to wait for 20-30 minutes to get down the road though it is not too long. We loved the open air theater area where we frequented often after dinner for the shows..fire show and michael jax show are the best!! Guirremo in the grill was awesome we really enjoyed him.walk the beach to the right for about a mile or 2 to puerto morelos was nice way to walk off all the food! Haha.. We might return to this property if the road gets fixed but prob not until then.

2  Thank jtodd1122
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Left New Jersey on Super Bowl Sunday at 4:30 AM with 7 other couples and met up with 2 other couples at ERC. Great flight easy trip from airport to Resort. The wicked road many spoke about was bumpy but we were lucky there was no water along the way. Arrived quickly and was greeting with their traditional cold towel and champagne. Check in was easy however we did have to wait for our room which took approximatley two hours.Went right to the Martini Bar and started drinking early. Had a quick lunch at Barcelona buffet which was fair, went to Spa to confirm my Wednesday appointment, checked out the gym and back to front desk for room. It took a fews hours to get to know my way around but once you do, you find shortcuts to everything.

ROOM- we splurged for an oceanview room and my wife and I were extremely happy with the view. The room was a shade smaller than the Secrets Silversands however it was worth it. We were in Room 6331 which was semi attached and faced both the main pool and the ocean. For some reason Room 6331 is not on the room directory. Later in the day I couldnt find the room and asked an employee and even he didn't see it on his list. Anyways it was private and pleasant enough for us. The room A/C's vary throughout. 4 of my couple friends moved their rooms due to lack of A/C in room and musty smell. The fridge is okay at best they give you 2 pieces of candy and 1 pack of oreos along with beer soda and water. The bed was fine and the shower was huge.

Pools:
so many to choose from however the water was extremely cold. We hung out by the main pool and many of us didn't actually go into it until Tuesday when it finally warmed up some. We were lucky we had no rain the whole time there. Yes people complain about the saved towels down and they will remove them if you do not return in 30 minutes but we had a group of 20 and we tried to save at least 10 lounges per day as we all wanted to hang out together. I was up early along with a few others and we would take turns watching out for Senior Lifeguard. Never an issue. Towels and rafts were plentiful before 11 00 am. There are a number of bars around the main pool which was great because the pool service was fair at best. Amazing since we tipped these people every single time they came back with drinks.

Beach:
Spent one full day at the beach and found the water to be warm and the sand was very fine and clean. The only issue with the beach are the locals trying to sell you crap every few minutes but otherwise it was a fine. The drink service on the beach was a bit better than the pool. The beach was not nearly as bad as some people portrayed it to be. I thought it great compared to some other Mexican resorts I stayed at. Food and drinks were not more than a few yards from us and it was wonderful. The water was calm and pristine.

SPA:
The Miile SPA truly was the ultimate place to relax. The resort offers daily discounts however we reserved pre-flight and saved 20%. Everyone at the SPA was just fantastic. 5 of us went for the 80 minute excellence massage along with the Hydro Therapy water treatment. Worth every penny and actually cheaper than places I go to in New Jersey. The whole experience started at 1:30 in the afternoon and went on until almost 4 PM. Truly the highlight of my trip. And I recommend you do it sometime in the middle of the trip. My masseuse was Karina and she was remarkable. I had No problem given her $20 tip and $10 tip to the Hydro Therapy guide.

GYM:
The gym was good if you arrived early. I was there daily before 7 AM and was able to workout with machines free weights and some cardio without waiting. The Gym is very clean plenty of towels and cold water in the fridge. The rest rooms were immaculate and it was great to work off the added pounds I would be putting on at the buffet.
One of my friends in my group held a daily cardio max fitness class outside the gym with members of our group each morning around 8 AM and some people we didn't know showed up and others asked where they could sign up. That worked well for those he didn't used the gym.

Restaurants:

Mexican Restaurant
The First night was Super Bowl night and they had some lousy buffet food being served. Since the game was horrible most of us went to their. We had to wait a little bit eventhought he place was half empty. The service was good and food was okay but it took forever to come. I truly believe they are short staffed in many of the restaurants. Don't even remember what i ate so it wasn't memorable.

Chez isabelle Restaurant
We asked for seating for 10 and at first they were not accomodating until my friend handed the maitre'd $20 and promised to buy a bottle of wine. They set us up in their wine room and it was like a private party. They came thru. The food was outstanding. I couldn't decide between the filet mignon or the sea bass so I ordered both and so did most of our group. It was perfect.

Lobster House
Great service great food. A bit of a wait but worth it. Order the Lobster with chipolte garlic butter and the steak tenderloin.

Spice Restaurant
The worst food and service. I am not into sushi and we wanted the hibachi but due to language barrier they didn't understand us and likewise. Again not overly crowded but had to wait. Ordered medium rare steak and rice. The steak was well done and I refused to eat it along with some others. Left immediately and went again to Lobster House and again was not disappointed.

Italian Restaurant
We wanted our whole group to eat totgether and they were more than accommodating. We took over a good portion of the restaurant and the service and food were very good. I ordered seafood risotto but it was two fork fulls of risotto and i was still hungry. Ordered a medium rare steak and it cam out perfect. Again very good service.

Indian Restaurant
Not a fan of Indian food but tried because my better half wanted it. Went with 3 other couples and it turned out to be vey good. I recommend the spicy shrimp in some sort of garlic sauce.

The GRill
My favorite for lunch. Went there four times. You must order the short ribs ask for double order and the onion rings. I ordered it 3 times I was there. Also the Philly Cheesesteak was different but good. and the guys there were great.

The Buffet
had okay service and large selection of foods. breakfast there every morning and some time had a quick snack. Best pistachio Ice cream i ever had, when they have it.

Entertainment
Didnt really see much of it as we ate late and it went on when we were eating. Went to the disco there and heard some good old rock and disco music one night.
We caught the end of a lot of shows and heard some bands and singers around the resort. Most of them were good but everything begins to shut down early.

All in all to spend time with my wife and friends for my anniversary and their birthdays was great.

Bring lots of singles and fives. Tip accordingly as great service deserves at least $5 per person at a table. The SPA people tip well if you enjoyed the whole experience. Special shout out to Felipe at the Martini Bar. Also there this young woman by the main pool who offers design your own pottery. The women loved it and she finishes the product professionally. Make sure you tip her too, she makes next to nothing and you can go home with a nice hand made gift.

Would I go back to the Excellence? Probably not, but i wasn't disappointed either. I enjoy the Secrets resorts a bit more. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main pool are quiter at night. Ask for the 3rd floor better views
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends