$315
$261
$241
$160
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $182/night.

Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
$242
$291
$160
$480
$294
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
$378
$236
$285
$269
Priceline
14,384 results
All reviewslazy riverchez isabellelobstermartini barthe grillflavor marketsol barspa viewbarcelona restaurantclub poolroom serviceour honeymoonfrench restaurantlas olasclub levelmichael jackson showswim up room
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed at the Excellence RIviera Cancun for our honeymoon and we were blown away by our experience. The resort was truly 5-star quality and the service was excellent - everywhere from the bellhop to the waiters to concierge to housekeeping. This resort was the definition of luxury. We stayed in the Excellence Club Beachfront Junior Suite. We opted for the Excellence Club which gave us a private indoor club with gourmet appetizers, premium drinks and leather couches. The room was spectacular with marble pillars around an over-size Jacuzzi tub, a gigantic walk-in shower, a separate eating area and a good-size balcony with another jacuzzi tub and an amazing beach view. The Excellence Club also have us a private section of the beach with very nice wooden (with cushions) lounge chairs, curtained cabana beds and wicker beds to sunbathe in. The beach/pool waiter service from Sergio, Kepler, Melissa, Joel and Eldin was exceptional. Sergio would meet us on the beach every morning and put fresh towels over the beds for us. He also went out of his way to get us change so we could buy items from the beach vendor one day. On a rainy day when finding shelter under a tiki umbrella near the pool, Kepler went all the way across the resort to get us lunch from the Spanish buffet that he told us about (the Paella was excellent BTW). Melissa was so courteous and took great care of us with drinks on the beach. Eldin was very friendly and helped answer all of our questions about the resort. Joel did not disappoint with the drinks at the pool bar. The restaurant food was outstanding. We were highly impressed with the Indian restaurant, the Italian pizza place Oregano and the Grill. The turndown service was superior, always leaving the room dimly lit with chocolates and relaxing music on the TV. We highly recommend the Excellence Club, especially when we saw the section of the resort which had the regular beach - everyone had plastic chairs and was packed together like cattle. The resort and beach was always so clean and well taken care of. We recommend this resort to anyone going on a honeymoon, anniversary or just a special trip together as a married couple.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mdp27
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Everything about my stay at Excellence was wonderful. The staff are all very nice and accommodating in every way possible. Hotel room was beautiful, and we had the cheapest kind. Great amenities. Good entertainment every night. Lots of activities for people to participate in. My favorite part was having servers on the beach bringing you drinks throughout the day.
Food was decent. My favorite meal was at the French restaurant and lunches from the grill.

My only negative comment is the road into the hotel is a mess and had our vacation been longer, I would have been deterred from going on excursions outside of the hotel just to avoid having to take that road again. They were working on it on our way in and out, but its a disaster and was very flooded on our way in to the hotel.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed good. We had a pool view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Food was terrible for the most part with the exception of the breakfast buffet, Oreganos pizza, and The Grill filet steak.
Most of the restaurants were far too dark you could not read the menus. Oreganos was the worst for lighting that the server actually handed us a small flashlight to read the menu. Basmati restaurant was a close second for poor lighting.
We had a swim out room overlooking the spa. The grounds outside the room were lovely and the music coming from the spa was so relaxing while laying by the lazy river on a sun bed. The room itself needs updating, tired old looking bed covers, one bedside wall lamp actually hanging off the wall, uncomfortable hard mattress. Again with very poor lighting throughout the room, you had to turn on all the lights so you could see in the closets.
The resort grounds were gorgeous and very we'll kept and clean.
Good luck requesting a specific location and type of room, such as a room with 2 beds for example. We tried through the tour we booked who sent a message directly to the hotel and when we arrived they had no knowledge of the request. I had also asked to have a bottle of champagne on ice in our room upon arrival. This I had arranged directly with the hotel prior and had received a confirmation of such but again upon arrival no one knew anything about it.
Would we stay here again.... Probably not.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight. Swim up rooms by the spa are quieter and the music is so relaxing while soaking up the sun by the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PageUp
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for having chosen Excellence Riviera Cancun as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

We are disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences.
We also would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.

At Excellence we are committed to provide services and facilities in consistency with the hotel high standards, a continuous supervision is held in all hotels areas to ensure our installations comply with this goal. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This hotel is by far the best hotel we've ever stayed in. This hotel offers luxurious accommodation, delicious food and superb quality customer service from staff. I would highly recommend this resort for couples looking to get away from it all! Would definitely be back!!Personal big thank's to Alfonso- tennis instructor and member of entertainment team.His tennis lessons very professional and helpful for all levels from beginner to advanced players.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Leonid R
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the Excellence December 20th - 27th, 2013. We went on the recommendation of a friend who has stayed at a number of AI's and this was her favourite. When booking, I did look at the TA reviews as I always do. Normally I take the negative reviews with a "grain of salt" but a number of them came from Canadians which was a surprise to me.

Let me start by saying I am a very experienced traveler and have contributed 69 reviews to TA. Apart from extensive travelling in South America, we have stayed at over 10 AIs in the past and the Excellence is right up with the best of them.

Anyone who writes a review on a hot destination complaining about the humidity, musty odour, seaweed in the ocean really needs to check into a hermetically sealed hotel room with a chlorinated pool in North America. You are in Mexico, it is hot, it is humid, there is a jungle that has bugs and the ocean does have seaweed!

We arrived in Cancun on Friday December 20th and was met at the airport by the transport company we always use, USA Transfers. We arrived at the hotel and were promptly checked in and shown to our room 5008.

Rooms:
Our room was a swim out room directly across from the non-alcoholic bar. The benefit of a swim-out room is not the pool (for us), it is the nice loungers that are in your yard. The room was very clean and spacious. It had all amenities including toothpaste. The shower is the best I have seen at any hotel (Four Seasons included) with a Grohe rain shower and hand held wand. Water was always hot and lots of water pressure.

The bar was stocked daily and along with the regular beer and pop, there were also bottles of hard liquor and snacks (chips, snickers, M & Ms, Oreos).

Bed was a bit hard the first night but fine after that. The only improvement in the room could be better (more) pillows. They were a bit flat (for me).

AC was fine. Yes, the AC goes off if you have the door open, as it should. I did not find that the room smelled musty at all. It was a bit humid, but you are in the jungle.

Night one was a Mexican fiesta in the main plaza. There was a bit of a wait so we headed over to Oregano to share a wood fired pizza. It was excellent and the waiter was FANTASTIC! Later in the evening, we managed to get into the Mexican Fiesta and the food was very good.

They also had an arabian themed night on the beach. The food was AMAZING. I have no idea what I was eating but it was so good!

Restaurants: We ate at:
French Restaurant - Highly recommend the mushroom stuffed crepe to start and the duck was AMAZING.

SPICE - I am not a fan of asian food however I had the Kung Pow and it was very good. My husband had sushi to start then shrimp for his main. Said it is the best he has ever had.

Mexican - I love Mexican food so I loved this restaurant! This was our "Christmas Dinner"!

The Grill - Not my favourite. I ordered steak medium rare but it was a bit over cooked for my liking however I should know better and should of ordered rare (they use thinner cuts of steak than we do in Canada so hard to get medium rare).

Italian - This for me was the only disappointment. The the alfredo sauce was quite runny however I do believe it was just an off night as I had other pasta at the buffet which was excellent.

The Buffet - Only open for breakfast and lunch. Hands down the best buffet of any resort I have been to. The attention to detail on all of the items and freshness was just like being at an a-la-carte. Instead of what typically happens (someone comes out and plops more food on top of existing food), they take the items off the buffet and replace it with a fresh pan. There were no heaping piles of mashed potatoes, instead, nice piped individual rosettes of potatoes. Very nice.

Bars - We really only spent time at the Martini Bar before dinner. All top shelf liquor. It gets a bit busy between 6:30 and 7:30 but after that, it is much quieter.

Pools - Generally at this time of the year, the pools tend to be a bit on the cool side. The pools ar the Excellence were the warmest of any resort we have been to. Our swim up room was on the "quite pool" and it was very quiet. Generally no problem finding a lounger or bed. The only annoyance is other guests that think they have to float on 3 loungers at one time so they don't get wet however, generally if I wanted to use one I could find one.

The main pool has a bit more action however still quieter than any other resort I have been to. They are less loungers around the main pool and since some people think they have to leave their stuff there all day (and not use them), it could be hard to find one. The resort information does say that if stuff is left there and the chairs are not being used, the stuff will be removed however, I didn't see any staff remove anything. I really don't think they should have to. Guests should just use common sense. If you are leaving for 2 hrs for lunch, take your stuff!

Beach - I did read a complaint about the beach and that there was seaweed. Welcome to the ocean! I will tell you that there was a tractor out multiple times a day cleaning the beach and I did not find the beach dirty at all. I would say that the water itself it not quite as nice as the beach at the Valentin but that is a result of what is in the ocean, how close the reef is etc. It was still warm and more than swimmable. There is lots of room to walk on the beach and I walked each morning to Puerto Morales every morning (about 5K return).

Activities: The activity staff is friendly but very low key. They are not yelling at you playing loud music trying to get participation. We did the bike tour to Puerto Morales which was great. We did a couple of Spanish lessons however they were a bit too basic for us but good tourist Spanish. They had a cooking class where the chef prepared cerviche and guacamole.

Shows: They didn't "shows" every night but there was always something. One night there was a Mexican Magician/Comedian and he was super funny. They had the "Rock and Circus" show which was really good along with an Aquatic Show during the day. One reviewer noted that the shows are "not as good as Vegas" but they are FREE and very good considering!

This resort is the cleanest resort I have ever been to. The public bathrooms were immaculate. Always stocked with real hand towels and very clean. They even have grounds keepers walking around looking for bird poop on the cement to clean off! Seriously clean resort.

The staff were always very professional and friendly. The only thing I am finding is that the higher end you go in Mexico, the less Mexican the resort. I do speak intermediate Spanish but find that people would respond to me in English. Once I continues in Spanish they would switch over.

Overall, I would totally recommend this resort for couples who want to get away. It is quieter than other places I have been to, very clean and professionally managed. The food was excellent and we totally enjoyed our time here. It is one of my two favourite resorts in the Mayan (the other being the Valentin….I would score the Excellence higher on rooms, pool, shows and food but the Valentin higher on beach and activities).

Room Tip: We were in 5008. It is good if you want to be out of the sun. If you want to be in the sun, you may want to move a block or two down. Swim up room has great loungers.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Cheryl K

Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us. It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts of your 10th anniversary and that we were able to exceed your expectations making of this celebration a unique and memorable experience.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants.

At Excellence Riviera Cancun we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission.

We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.