“It's nice but it depends what you like ?”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
London, United Kingdom
“It's nice but it depends what you like ?”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Me and my wife just returned from 2 weeks at the Excellence Riviera Cancun and have mixed feelings.

Hotel
-------
The Hotel is massive! It's like a University Campus. There are 9 restaurants a massive foyer and central entertainment area and lots of pools. It is a little tatty in places and needs some touching up but its ok.. Some of it is very impressive but other things let it down like pools with fountains that also contained tacky statues and where all the pipes and cables were visible !
We had quite a lot of rain and this hotel isn't set up for rain... Everything leaks, the Martini Bar is always wet and because the floors everywhere are marble the whole resort becomes a death trap ! Another thing to consider is if the weather is bad the Grill and Lobster pot restaurants are pretty unusuable, they were not open a lot and when they are it's windy as hell and they leak !
The road leading to the hotel is a disaster zone... it is flanked on both sides by mangrove and just floods all the time.. also the water erodes the road and getting in and out of the hotel is like a 4X4 offroad experience.. I can not stress how bad it is, cars get stuck ! If you have any back problems or are frail do not come to this hotel you will get hurt driving in !

Pools
-------
There are lots of pools but the main pool is pretty much off limits as it's like Spring Break. The US guys seem to holiday in large groups and take over any areas they settle in and are soooo loud.
We hid by the lazy river as our room was just by it, it winds around the spa and is a much more relaxing place to be.
The pools seem clean but note the Lazy River is salt water.

Beach
--------
White Sand, Brown Water... Sums it up really.. if you are looking for turquoise seas then dont come here !!

Rooms
---------
The rooms are very overrated. The bathroom area is good and the shower room is very good, the shower is powerful and endless hot water. The toilet is in a tiny box room on it;s own and is very unpleasant.
The rooms are very dated in comparison to other hotels in the area, we requested a King size bed but we got twin beds pushed together with a king mattress thrown on top. It was probably one of the most uncomfortable beds i've ever experienced in a hotel. Getting home to memory foam was amazing !
We had a Swim Up Suite (4007) which is a complete con... It isn't a swim up it is a ground floor suite with a couple of sun beds on the grass (which is muddy and also had a concrete drain in the middle of it). There is no access tot he pool other then to jump in and then climb out. No steps.. If you want steps you have to go to the other side of the pool, get out then come back over the bridge to your room. Its an utter con ! DO NOT pay for a Swim Up !!!

Staff
------
The Staff rescue this resort they are utterly amazing without exception.

-------
Buffet Breakfast is amazing, i've never been to a buffet with so much choice. We went here most days but that was mainly as the other options (Grill / Lobster Pot) don't open until 9am and also were usually flooded !
French restaurant is good, Grill is good, the rest i could give or take.. Being a brit i can confirm the Indian is not good... The food is ok but tastes nothing like it should. I tried a Madras and a Rogon Josh and they both tasted the same and also both had creamy sauces ??
It was very mediocre if I’m honest and I’m not particularily a “foodie”.. It all ends up tasting the same and I was desperate to get out and try some local restaurants but more about that later…

Drink
-------
The Drink is endless and top shelf brands (if you request them, otherwise they use cheap substitutes). There are quite a few bars but you would be amazed how hard it is to get a drink at peak times. Also if youre a Brit as opposed to a tipping American you will also find it harder.

Entertainment
------------------
The entertainment is amazing but I say that with a caveat. They put a lot of effort in but it just wasn’t my cup of tea.. The whole experience was very much Cruise Ship and I’m just not interested in that.. Give me a beach bar with some chill out music any day of the week.. They do have one but as it rained a lot it didn’t open.. when we got some good weather we got excited but it still wasn’t open ? Disappointing !

Things to do
----------------
There are lots of daily activities but to be honest we spent most of our time chilling by the pool and diving. The diving company onsite were good and well organized. The biggest issue with this hotel is if you intend on sitting tight within resort for your whole holiday then fine but if you fancy getting out in the evenings or just seeing some of Mexico you are miles from anywhere and to be honest the whole of the Riviera Maya is just tourist central and isn’t real Mexico at all !
Chichen Itza was amazing as was some of the diving but other than that we were going stir crazy in the hotel..

Summary
------------
I’d like to add a caveat before summarising, we had a lot of rain which probably showed the hotel in a less than perfect light but also showed some flaws others maybe don’t see. Also we have realized that large, out of town All Inclusive resorts just aren’t our cup of tea.
That said this place was a letdown given the amount of money we spent and the claims it makes on the website. The food isn’t the best which is annoying when you don’t have an option to just pop into town for a change. The rooms and hotel are a little dated. The Beach isn’t great and they also don’t have that many bars meaning getting a drink during peak times can be tough.
Another perfect example of why this isn’t a 5* is when we got back late one evening and decided to order room service. We asked if we could order something from one of the restaurants instead of the room service menu and were bluntly told no. Also I love Eggs Benedict, you can only get this on Room Service breakfast (and the eggs are hard boiled)… Asked in the restaurant at breakfast and was told it wasn’t available though the waiter did end up getting it from room service and bringing it to me!

Me and my wife have learnt a valuable lesson this holiday though... No more AI's and no more Carribean !!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank diktasty
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun with all Trip Advisor Readers.
We deeply regret your perception towards our hotel, was highly affected by the Caribbean weather conditions.

Certainly the ocean depending on weather conditions, can be seen more clearly some days than others. Be sure we definitely do our best to keep our beach as clean as nature allows.

We are also disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences.
As a luxurious all inclusive resort we personalize not only our service, but our cuisine as well, and in an effort to reach this premise, we offer 8 different À la carte options and 1 beach snack grill.

We would like to highlight that for our guests comfort, The Lobster House and The Grill, were closed during rainy days because they are open restaurants.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,799)
  • Korean first
wayne, nj
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was an excellent vacation. My friend and I wanted an affordable pre-holiday getaway that was an easy flight for both of us (from NYC and Chicago). It was my first all –inclusive and I was skeptical. I knew I could drink all I wanted but worried the accommodations and food would be lacking after hearing horror stories about AI resorts. z
Everything was fantastic - from the moment my cab pulled up to the gates. I was greeted with a cold damp cloth and a glass of champagne. (Cab was $70 from the airport - a van would be about half of that but stops at other resorts - about a 25 min drive).
My first impression was that the grounds were beautiful and everything is very floral and fragrant. Service was outstanding - you can tell that everyone here is committed to helping you have a great vacation and they cater to your requests.There was not ONE time that a worker didn’t stop what they were doing (emptying garbage cans, cutting the lawn, delivering room service) and say hello(and I noticed!) . I would definitely recommend it and would definitely go back.
Here is some of my observations:
- Room – We stayed in Spa building 1 – which overlooked the pool (not the bottom floor) and had a huge suite. Bedroom with 2 queen beds, walk in shower room, open bath (would have been super awkward to use with my friend lol), a small living room – and a balcony. Room stocked with bottles of toiletries, booze and snacks- which was a nice touch. I liked staying on the 3rd floor- good view – and there are these HUGE iguanas that roam around the property and I would have been terrified to open my sliding door if I was on the first floor. The benefit on the first floor is that you can literally jump into the lazy river from your patio. The drawback on the first floor is the foot traffic IGUANAS!!! 
- Spa was fantastic! Prices were reasonable and everyday there is a discount special for treatments. When you go to the spa, you get an hr long Aqua Treatment included to preceed your appointment. Includes sauna, whirlpool, steam room circuit - which was a great treat and perk which was great on the day it rained for us.
- The food and beverage service was good. There is always a bar open and pool service was pretty attentive. We didn’t have a bad meal - we ate at the seafood place twice, the French place and the Japanese place twice. Evening entertainment was hokey shows or mediocre bands. You don’t go here for the night life ... Decent booze selection and at dinner – you can upgrade from house wine to bottles.
- Lots of activities if you want - yoga classes, bike tours, poker lessons, kayaks
- Beach was red flagged so you couldnt swin (there were a couple days of storms) and lots of seaweed

Drawbacks were few -
- Difficulties with the shower - often only cold water
- No dresser or drawers - we had to pretty much live out of our suitcases (which is not ideal)
- No plugs near the beds

Room Tip: Stayed in Spa Building 1 - which overlooks the lazy river pool and the spa - on the 3rd floor. Very...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jcb41
Sacramento
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is my second time staying here and it is by far the best resort I've ever stayed at. I stayed at the Aventura Spa palace and Dreams Puerto Adventuras but this is by far the best.

Beach-is beautiful, we snorkeled here but it was not real clear water, beautiful color of blue. Always chairs and lounge beds available on the beach.

Room-Fantastic, clean, very nice. 6 bottles of full size spirits plus your refridgerator with beer, wine, sodas, water, snacks.

Restuartants are 5 star. Fantastic food, our favorite is the Lobster house, all you can eat, omg. We ate at all the restuarants they were all great.

Bars-10 bars, one a swim up. great.

Spa is by far the BEST SPA I've ever been too and I have been to 16 spas in my time. It's so worth the money.

They spoil you rotten here, if you have little issue, they are on it within minutes. This place is worth the money. It will be the most relaxing, peaceful, vacation ever. Can't wait to go back.

Staff-are all great.

Room Tip: Go out to the beach at the resort and have a massage under the white tent, its only $45 an hour, als...
2 Thank Tinafri
Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Rooms have a bathtub in the middle with no privacy in the bathroom.
Grounds are beautiful and staff was amazing.
Beach was nice but water was dark and rough - no beautiful Caribbean water here.
The road to the resort was full of huge pot holes and very slow ! Ridiculous ....

Room Tip: The rooms by the spa are remote (if you like that) not close to the beach and far from the main reso...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jbroer
Escondido, California
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I had what we can only describe as a wonderful time. Food was great (order 3 lobster tails) and the drinks were top notch (truly top shelf). The grounds were extensive, nicely landscaped and kept immaculate. The entertainment was pretty good with some better than others (the fire dancers and most of the bands/singers were very very good). It seemed like every time we turned around there was something that surprised us in a good way. The staff was outstanding...everyone, very outstanding. The restaurants were all good with some great (Basmati was delicious but the light was so low it was impossible to read the menu without the light from my cell...crazy). Laying around, floating around, sailing (hobies) around...best beach vacation we've ever had...better than the best cruise we've been on (6). So we loved it...now for the bad part. The road in from the highway. Hard to describe how bad the road is. My wife doesn't have the greatest of backs, and even though the transfer driver was extremely careful, the drive from the highway was tough. Apparently they had a lot of rain recently. The road was essentially washed out. I've driven on a lot of rutted dirt roads, but this paved road was the worst. Take it for what it's worth, but it was bad enough where we would probably choose another resort (and we loved this one) since there are other excellent choices in the area. Somebody...fix the road...I feel for the drivers and workers who have to use it each day.

Room Tip: 2000 bldg was in a quiet area but only a short walk to the beach and restaurants. Swim up rooms are...
2 Thank Don A
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5-day stay at Excellence RC to celebrate our anniversary and we were glad the stay was no longer. Based on our visit and the numerous complaints that we registered during our stay, I was surprised that upon checkout we were asked to write a Tripadvisor review. However, since we were, here are our comments.

In a nutshell, the overall attention to detail and quality were sorely lacking. We have stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres several times and always found it to be a premium property and first rate in every way. Not so with ERC which is old and tired. Beginning with our room, we had to visit the front desk three times in order to get two keys that worked in the door. We were told we must be de-activating one of the keys by placing it next to credit cards. Not so. In our room, the lighting was very dim and inadequate. We had to stand on a chair or coffee table to pull the chain to turn on the dim light on the ceiling fan. (Not 5 star at all!) The water in the shower fluctuated between scalding hot and freezing cold. We asked for Maintenance to check this out and were told it was working fine. The AC in the rooms is a water cooled system and, therefore, everything in the room (including all of our clothes, suitcases, etc.) were always damp. Since returning home, it's been extremely difficult to get the dank, musty smell out of our clothes, some of which were new for the trip. It may be impossible to get the smell out of our suitcases. The website indicated that a "pillow menu" was available. When contacting Housekeeping for different/additional pillows, no one seemed to know about the pillow options. The mattress on the bed was worn out. I contacted the Concierge Manager regarding the mattress and she had Housekeeping bring up a mattress topper to put on the bed. While the topper greatly improved the comfort of the old king mattress, the topper was too short for the bed and our heads and feet hung off the top and bottom of the topper!

The time our room was cleaned each day was extremely unpredictable as were the number of towels that we received each day. Likewise with the complimentary turn down service in the evening.

We ordered room service for breakfast daily to have hot coffee and a quick snack before working out. This consisted of coffee, toast/pastries, fruit and occasionally eggs. The delivery was always on time; however, there was great inconsistency in what we received.....often no plates, incomplete or no sets of silverware, cold hard eggs (regardless of the way they were asked to be prepared), unripe fruit and cold toast. The eggs and potatoes were inedible.

Because of our dissatisfaction with so many aspects of our stay, the Concierge Manager and Room Service Manager wanted to give us a "special dinner." Our last night, we ate in the dining room of Spice. Upon arrival, we were seated at a very nice table. As soon as we sat down, we were told they had a "nicer" table for us. They moved us to a dark corner with one of the chairs facing a wall. The table had rose petals on it and that must have been what made it special. Our dinner was fine. At the end of our meal, we were told they had a "special dessert" for us. It took 15-20 minutes for the dessert to arrive. The plate was decorated with "have a great trip" written in chocolate and an assortment of leftover desserts from the lunch buffet! Special indeed!! We saw platters of gorgeous desserts being delivered to other diners.

We enjoyed the food and service at Chez Isabelle, Agave, Spice (except for our "special dinner"), Lobster House (lunch) and Barcelona. Drinks at the bars were generally acceptable, if premium liquor was requested, but there was great inconsistency between bars/bartenders with the same type of drink.

We booked a spa package which was a highlight of our stay. It was a great experience despite the fact that the spa staff was unaware of the October discount for spa services that was listed on the hotel website.

Sadly, this hotel is a disappointment and sub-par for the many other 5 star resorts/hotels where we've stayed in the US, Mexico, or the Caribbean. We weren't the only unhappy guests and felt especially bad for couples who expected this to be a "trip of a lifetime." We travel extensively and expect a bad experience every now and then. For us the disappointment was that it was with one of the Excellence group properties.

Room Tip: If a "quiet room" is requested, it is likely to be in building 9. Our room was 9101. This...
3 Thank JohnTerry13
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Riviera Cancun to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

Nevertheless, we can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to present you the improvements made due to your valuable feedback.
Fleetwood, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have just returned from Mexico and the Riviera Excellence resort.This was our 4th.trip here and it is still the best place we have ever visited.There were some staff changes but the new staff were just as good as the last ones.The food and drink are top class and the service second to none.There were two in particular who made our stay so enjoyable,the guest manager Mariana who went that extra mile to ensure our stay was the best ever and a waiter we called El Gecko who always made you feel special.I would recommend this resort to anyone and if you can fly with Thomson s Dream liner all the better

Room Tip: Ask for a swim up room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
#11 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!