“Excellence is excellente!”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Excellence is excellente!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this most beautiful resort from July 14-24. We were celebrating our 8th anniversary. The Excellence package jr swim out room with ocean view was perfect. Close to the action, but surprisingly quiet. Highly recommend. The food was delicious. Great restaurants and prompt room service.
We arrived to a private check-in in the excellence club Lounge. This lounge made me feel special!
Anything I wanted could be dealt with in the Excellence club lounge. As part of our Excellence club anniversary package we were given breakfast in bed, romantic private beachfront dinner, beautiful farewell dinner, and a couples massage with hydrotherapy treatment. My husband and
I agree this was our favourite massage experience!
The service from Marianna (public relations) down to the maids was definitely five star.
I want to give high praise to Alfonso the tennis pro, Benjamin Pedraza, and Luis (lobster house).
My husband and I are avid tennis players who love our food and drinks and dancing. We loved this resort!!!

Room Tip: If you want action, choose swim up ocean view. If you like quiet and serenity, choose the spa side...
2 Thank SusieGW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,750)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Excellence Riviera Cancun 7/20-7/27.
This was our first get away to an adult only resort in Riviera Maya, however we have traveled to Riviera Maya several times with children and stayed at various all inclusive resorts.
The main difference is that it is totally catered to the needs of adults, providing privacy, excellent service, very good food and and accommodations. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
Activities are great and every day you will receive a program delivered to your room providing guests with info/specials/programs for the next day. Anything from wellness, fitness and cooking demo to your nightly entertainment theme.
The rooms are big, very clean with service twice a day. We especially liked it in the evening when the bed was made for the night and the lights were turned on, curtains closed.
For those that care about the beach, it is excellent, no rocks, soft sand, lots of shade and beautiful ocean, really warm. There was see weed but it reminded us more of pine needles and did not bother us at all.
We took a cab and arranged for a day pass at no extra cost to visit the sister resort at Playa Mujeras. We were eager to compare them as we were recommended the other place but chose Riviera location due to price.
The other resort operates absolutely the same, same restaurants with one extra option, excellent service, beach, pools the only difference is it is a new resort made in the very modern style unlike the one we stayed was more traditional but both presented us with the same food choices, services, etc.
One night, resort hosted reception and all managers were out there to greet and meet guests. I thought it was a great idea to provide feedback face to face and we left absolutely happy to know that staff cares about its guests.

Room Tip: we stayed in bld 6, second floor. I found this location great for us and close to everything.
3 Thank Victoria K
Waynesboro, PA
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun from June 29 to July 6, 2013. This was our 12th stay at ERC. We have done numerous trip reports in the past, so we will only add the following:

What a welcome home we received. We thought it was quite odd that they left us walk by ourselves to the large wooden doors, we thought they know we are home and know our way around, however, when the doors opened there were numerous ERC employees all there to welcome us HOME AGAIN! What a nice surprise it was.

We always stay at the Club level and feel it is worth the little additional money you pay for all the extra things you get, especially the private beach and pool area, Club with free computer access and Concierge service, and all day snacks, appetizers and top shelf liquor. This trip Excellence has added many new features to the Club level bringing it back to the 5* level, these include special horderves and specialty drinks delivered to your chair during the day, Afternoon Tea and Treats on Tuesday, Chocolate Buffet on Thursdays, and new wooden beach chairs with plush chair pads. They rearranged all of the furniture in the Excellence Club, the check-in desks are now up front, the couches are in the center and the dinning tables to the rear of the Club. They now have (4) pool and beach concierges and the level of service they provide is very nice. Moises is still the Club pool bar man, and he along with Melissa and Rosie keep the drinks flowing.

The quality and selection of food in our opinion, is very good, and we seen many new menu items on this trip including Toscana going back to their original menu. We feel the size of the evening meals is sufficient and if you find you are not full, just order another course. The breakfast and lunch buffets have an endless selection and the new Las Olas beach restaurant gives you a chance to be lazy and dine by on the beach.

The overall cleanliness and beauty of the resort is impressive, it is always spotless and clean everywhere you go.

Even since our March trip, ERC has added many more new employees and managers, but not to worry, as the resort is still being run to the top notch service and expectations that we have encountered on all of our previous trips and with the changes to the Excellence Club, it is now even better.

The Martini Bar is such a classy place with exceptional bartenders eager to serve you your favorite libation, and in the evening it turns into a social venue with very good entertainers performing on some evenings.

Excellence Riviera Cancun always provides us with a care free, very relaxing vacation and the employees really make this place “special”.

Also, we would like to mention that we have used Twinsburg Travel now for over 25 of our vacations, and Jason and Jane have always provided us with superior service, thanks Twinsburg Travel!

Room Tip: For a very extra special vacation select the Club for your stay you will not regret the choice.
5 Thank sunylatitude
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the quality food encountered at our Restaurants and our Resort facilities.

At Excellence Riviera Cancun we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission. We all look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Rock Springs, Wyoming
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Fantastic honeymoon! We went June 24th-29th. From the time we arrived we were treated like a king and queen. I had read all the reviews and was very surprised that this resort was even better than I expected. I booked the excellence swim up suite and was very glad I did so. It was nice to lounge at the pool and not have to carry all our things with us. We could go in and out as we pleased. I also booked under the excellence club so it was nice to have our own private areas. The restaurants were all wonderful and it was nice to have many choices. There was nightly entertainment that I believe is better than shows you pay for in Vegas. We did spend a little extra at dinner one night on a special bottle of our favorite wine. It was not pushed to spend the extra and if you didn't want to there was still many other choices. I loved the fact that everything really is included. We ate and drank from out mini bar everyday and it was nice to know that it was included and stocked each morning.
The staff was always cheerful and willing to do what ever to make the guest happy. The staff went above and beyond. One morning we ordered room service and my husband had forgot to relock the safe after giving the waiter a tip. We went to the beach after our breakfast completely unaware that we left the safe unlocked. After a few hours we returned to change for lunch. My husband went to get into the safe and realized the safe would not open. We called the concierge desk and right away someone knocked at our door. We explained to him it wouldn't open. After just a couple minutes of verifying information from us he opened it and told us that the maid service had realized it was open that morning and called security right away. My heart sank, we had all our money and everything in the safe. Not a single thing was missing or out of place. The excellence staff really cares about there guests! I was so impressed that the maid did the right thing and looked out for us. I left a large tip at the end of our trip.
This resort is a paradise! We could just lounge or there was plenty of activities if we chose to do so. Everything from the rooms to the beach was very clean and kept up very well. If you are wanting a luxury resort without the luxury price I highly recommend this resort. It is as couples paradise that made our entire trip just romantic and wonderful.
We plan to go back for our anniversary!!!

Room Tip: We booked the excellence swim up suite in building 8. I recomment this because it is close to the b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leslie F
It is our pleasure to know that our Resort exceeded your expectations, making of your honeymoon, a wonderful experience to remember.
Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the food & drinks quality encountered, the service provided by our staff members, and the evening entertainment.

It would definitely be a pleasure to welcome you on your anniversary and to provide you another memorable experience.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled here in early April, 2013. We had an excellent time. The trip started off a bit rocky - one of my bags was left in the shuttle van, containing roughly $1200.00 worth of DSLR camera equipment. We arrived at the hotel at 11:00 AM and didn't get a room until 3:00 PM - I wish someone had informed us that we would not be able to access our room immediately, as we had been traveling for close to 12 hours and were exhausted by the time we arrived at the hotel. Anyhow, I didn't realize I had missing luggage until four hours after we got off of the shuttle van, at 4:00 PM. After informing the hotel staff, who was very non-apologetic, a bell man was able to call the shuttle van and locate my bag - which was completely untouched! I got the sense that the management staff at this resort aren't as dedicated as the wait staff, bell men, etc. I was so appreciative and I think this shows what wonderful treatment you will get from the staff you interact with on a daily basis at this resort!

My only other complaint is that I noted poop smeared on the wall of our bathroom. I called a maid to come and clean this, and sadly, she missed a spot. It remained uncleaned for the rest of the week, even though we tipped our maids close to $10.00 a day. I also had to call and ask that the tub be cleaned, because it appeared dirty (with hair) when we first arrived. Because of this, I felt the need to wear sandals in the shower - not something you'd expect for a five-star resort. The pool filter in the lazy river also appeared to not be working.

I will say that the food here was absolutely amazing! The waitstaff is some of the best I've ever encountered, and went out of their way to fulfill any food requests. We really enjoyed the evening shows, the different drink specials daily, and the helpfulness we recieved when booking excursions.

Though we had a few minor bumps, we REALLY enjoyed ourselves and would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Get a room near the spa if you are looking to sleep at night - rooms close to the beach or near the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Please receive our warmest greetings form Excellence Riviera Cancun.
We really appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We totally understand how you feel about not finding your room ready after a long travel, but something important to note is that our check in time is at 3pm. However if the room is ready before, we’ll be more than glad to offer it to our valuable guests.

As per the cleanness of your room, we are baffled by your review since we follow very high hygienic and cleaning standards. However, allow us to assure you that immediate measures have been taken with the responsible manager of the area to avoid future discontents on these matters.

We will be very pleased to host you again to live the real Excellence Resort’s experience that you deserve.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Firstly I should say that I like to go somewhere different every year but next year we are returning - ok well we are going to the other Excellence in Mexico just to mix it up a bit but I only hope it is as amazing. I cannot see why anyone would moan about this place - but some people are never happy!

All the positive things people have said I agree with so I thought I would add my extra points! I loved the Italian restaurant - just amazing. It deseves a mention - we chose to go back on the last night over the others (even the French which was fantastic). Cheese ice-cream?! Try it - was lovely!!

The carrot cake at the Grill was the best dessert I have had abroad.

Never an issue with sun loungers but we chose to stay away from the main pool so maybe that is why.

Staff just so friendly and even help you brush up on your Spanish. Betsy at the pool was superb and really looked after us!

Also the Flirtini cocktail at the Martini bar was soooo good!!

I know this review is a little different but all other things have been said so many times!

Room Tip: Swim up suite is the way to go
3 Thank clarabelleclifton
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day girl’s trip to Excellence Riviera Cancun 7/19-23rd. The resort lived up to the hype! Even though we saw many couples, we didn’t feel out of place and met lots of great people from all over. The resort is laid out so well. You can enjoy the more active area by the pool bar & beach or retreat over to the spa area with the lazy river pool & quiet areas.

Food: We loved the morning buffet at Barcelona with so many choices. Everything was so fresh & delicious. We usually did lunch at The Grill or ordered pizza by the beach. We had dinner at Basmati, Chez Isabelle & Toscana. There were two theme nights while we were there. Both were excellent and gave us a chance to meet more people at our table. The work that went into setting up these theme nights was obvious. The staff really worked hard to provide a fun night & excellent food. Great entertainment at both nights as well! We also loved the crepes that were served by the theater every day! Nice little touches throughout the resort.

Entertainment: We watched two shows while we were there and also listened to a couple of the bands. We were too tired to make the nightclub on-site. It seemed to be a fun place per other guests.

Rooms: Rooms were bigger than they looked online. We had a regular swim-up room and loved the extra room on the first floor. There was plenty of closet space and we appreciated the double sinks, super thick robes and slippers. The walk in shower was huge. Turn down service was nice and the mini fridge was always stocked. We were celebrating a birthday and they decorated the room for us while we were there. Nice touch.

Room Service: We ordered coffee every morning and it was delivered promptly. The menu choices were great. We had breakfast in the room one morning and it was very good.

Grounds: The property was pristine…probably one of the cleanest resorts I’ve been to. The grounds were in great shape and landscaping was lush & beautiful! The beach was kept free of sea grass by the maintenance crew. We didn’t swim in the ocean but did see several people doing so.

Activities: There were non-stop activities all day. We took the bike tour into Puerto Morelos and it gave us a chance to see some cute shops and the marina area. Tennis lessons at the resort are amazing as well. We noticed that Texas Hold em & Pool Volleyball were very popular. There is a daily cocktail activity and everyone lined up to get them! There were actually not enough days for us to enjoy all the activities. Next trip we will stay longer! We also noticed that not all of the activities are offered every day so if you see something on the schedule and it looks fun…do it! We did book a snorkeling trip off site through the resort and enjoyed it. Very reasonably priced & it included transportation.

Spa: We spent time at the Spa and loved it. Highly recommend Santiago, Russell & Carolina for massages! The hydrotherapy circuit was amazing as well. Don't forget to check out the smoothie bar just outside of the spa...the best!

Service: The very best part of the trip!! All of the employees we saw were so helpful & welcoming. I couldn’t possibly name them all. They bent over backward to make everything perfect for you. They always said “Hola” when you walked past them and were always asking what they could do for you. They all really made our trip perfect! It was just hard to watch some guests who treated the employees rudely for no reason. We always made sure to tip them to show our appreciation. They really, really work hard at this resort. It was the little gestures such as moving our lounge cushions & hammock under our patio during a rain storm that we noticed.

I would highly recommend this resort and I plan on returning very soon. The location is very close to the airport which was helpful. The best service and activities along with excellent food & drinks makes Excellence Riviera Cancun the perfect resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank anne045

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your girls stay, due to the relaxing treatments offered at our spa, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!