“Excellent girls trip”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my fourth trip to Rivera Maya area and third time for another. Two other girls had never been to Mexico. We had an incredible time even though it seemed to be more for couples. The beach was okay, a lot of seaweed and really salty water. The pool was great!! A lot of activities to do if you chose to do so. Jorge Macias the activities guy was great! He did a really good job keeping people involved in water aerobics and volleyball. The food was very good, Spice was the favorite restaurant of us girls. Although my friends loved the key lime pie at the Lobster House. Lunches on the beach were nice, something different everyday. Just don't leave your plate or the birds will get it first. Rooms were nice and very clean. Air conditioning worked great, in fact room got cold. Two of my friends used the spa services, loved the massage. Pedicure is not what you get in the states though. The gym was great, equipment in excellent shape. The beach is exceptional for taking long runs on, sand is so cool on your feet. The only down fall to this resort is not enough service providers for the amount of people staying at the resort. Your had to wait a long time for a drink and especially long at breakfast for eggs. Over all we had a excellent time and will go back for another girls trip soon!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lisa W
There are newer reviews for Excellence Riviera Cancun

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had previously stopped at El Dorado Royale further down the coastline to the Excellence Riviera and thought that that was lovely until we stopped here! This place was amazing. Cool towels awaited us when we arrived and a welcome cool glass of champagne, a great start. The check in was pleasant and painless. However, I noted that despite asking for a room in block 9 and a top floor we didn’t get our requirements. The room was in block 6 and faced the theatre area so at night we could hear the music etc. This was why we asked for block 9 as advised on Trip Advisor, which would have been much quieter. However, the music didn’t go on very late and in fact we got used to it. It really didn’t disturb our sleep at all.

The rooms are lovely. Well laid out and everything you could wish for. A comfortable huge bed and a sitting area with sofa and table and in the bathroom there was a Jacuzzi bath. The shower was a walk in wet room, which was lovely although better extraction would have been very nice. The WC was right next to the shower room with the top of the wall open, need I say anymore? The balcony was lovely, plenty of room with a stone settee with appropriate cushions. There was a fridge in the room, which was well stocked with premium beers and soft drinks, and premium spirits on a shelf above if you so required. We tried the Jacuzzi bath but just like the El Dorado Royale when this filled up we noted a rusty scum around the perimeter of the water line. I must say the rooms here were so much better than at El Dorado Royale.

The restaurants were all lovely. We used Barcelona most mornings for breakfast, as this was air-conditioned. The food was always amazing. We did use the Lobster House restaurant a couple of times for breakfast but this was not air-conditioned. At night this restaurant was amazing, their Surf and Turf was outstanding. The Grill restaurant, which is also none air-conditioned, was also extremely good. They had meat on skewers, which I thought was a Brazilian type of thing, which they kept bringing to the table and cutting off large chunks of meat if you wanted it. Now I am not a meat eater as such but really couldn’t resist this.

The French restaurant was probably one of the best on site, however, we had decided to go there to celebrate our last night. There were the three of us and our two friends we had met at the hotel. You cannot book a table but you will be given a pager so that when a table is ready for you they simply page you. When I called in to the restaurant to ask for a table I was told we don’t do tables for five! I said it was a simple matter of putting two table together and stood my ground. I was eventually handed a pager and told it would be around 1.5 hours wait!!! Not impressed at all so we cancelled and went to the Grill where they couldn’t do enough for us.

It was also my wife’s Birthday whilst we were there and they arranged for flowers and balloons for her in the room although they did get the order wrong for the flowers for which they apologised. On that night the five of us ate in the Grill. They arranged a small cake for my Wife, which was lovely, and all of the waiters bought the cake out and sang happy birthday to her. They looked after us like royalty. Thank you to all of the waiters in the Grill.

The beach was amazing, kept clean every day by a tractor although it would have been nice if this were done before people got to the beach as the fumes from the tractor were not very nice. The waiters on the beach were amazing. The sea was rarely clear unlike some places we have been. We were bought Frappuccinos every afternoon without asking! As well as keeping drinks coming throughout the day.

The evening entertainment provided by the hotels entertainment team was very good and I think the best was The Michael Jackson Show.

We did a trip to Chitzen Itza, which was fabulous, with the exception of the tour guide on the coach who didn’t stop talking for the 3-hour journey! I was amazed at the place, there is so much to see but sadly it was far to hot at around 90 degrees to see it all. On the way back, the guide put on a video that gave much more information than his 3-hour talk! If he had played this on the way there we would have learnt an awful lot more.

We also had a trip into Cancun for shopping. This was arranged by the hotel in 3 taxis at no charge. However, just before we left Cancun one of the driver tried to sell us another trip on the way back which didn't go down too well.

The Spa at the hotel is well worth a visit; both my Wife (for her birthday) and I for a trapped nerve in my shoulder had massages, which were divine. Before, your treatment you get around 30min to use the Hydrotherapy pools, steam and sauna. You are supervised at all times so that you get to experience the full array of therapies on offer.

The Martini Bar just down from Reception was great and we used this most late afternoons before getting changed for dinner. The young chap called Erik was really good and tempted us with many different drinks each time we went. My favourite was a Chocolate Martini!

During our stay on July 4th they celebrated American Independence day. They went to an awful lot of trouble to make this a special day and I would think that the American guests must have really enjoyed themselves.

Overall then it was a fab holiday. Go back, you bet!

Room Tip: As outlined above, block six faces the theatre. I understand that some of the Spa blocks are better...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank delboy16
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.
It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts of your recent vacation and that we were able to exceed your expectations making of your stay a unique and memorable experience.
We are very pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants. It was a delight to read that your wife experienced relaxing moments at our spa facilities.
We would like to also offer our sincerest apologize for your experience at our Chez Isabelle. Allow us to assure you that immediate measures have been taken with the responsible management of the restaurant in order to avoid future discontents on these matters.
At Excellence Riviera Cancun we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission. We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Excellent excellent excellent! We stayed at the resort from 7/9-7/13 in the Excellence Club Swim Up Suite. I recommend the Excellence Club for a few reasons: Ocean views, your own lounge chairs, and the excellence club where you can get many drinks and food throughout the day. We didn't think that we would utilize the club at all but went there every night for a pre-dinner glass of wine/tequila. We were in building 7, which was near the action and we loved it. Walking around the resort, some other areas were almost too quiet for our liking.

During the day, we spent most of the time by the pool. We planned on going to the beach, but really didn't feel the need since our room was so close it gave us that ocean view that we craved. Our room came with the Hydrotherapy Spa Treatment, which was a nice little treat for us during our stay.

Our room was cleaned twice a day! It was kept absolutely immaculate. Being on the ground floor, the room was pretty humid but we didn't notice it until Day Three. There were some bugs in our hot tub every night (which people complained about, but it is an outdoor hot tub..and should be expected). One call to housekeeping and they were there to clean it within 5 minutes. Other than that, the room was HUGE and had everything that we needed for our stay.

The grounds were phenomenal and the service EVERYWHERE was top notch. We ate at Agave, Oregano (lunch), The Grill, Lobster House, and the french restaurant. My favorite had to have been Agave or the french restaurant. The others were still top notch though! The pizzas that they make at the bar during lunch were great, too. The Lobster House did not have whole lobsters, but the tails were great! Portions at the resort were small for us Americans, but we actually enjoyed that we were able to try more things! Room service was also worth noting. We ordered a late night snack most nights.

After dinner, we saw all of the shows. My favorite being the Fire Show or the Mayan Show. Each night my boyfriend purchased a cigar and we were even able to Hookah! I enjoyed all of the music that the bands played, as well as the shows. It was a great atmosphere!

The only negative about our entire stay was check in. We arrived about 12 p.m. and were told that our room would not be ready until 3 p.m. (We noticed this was a trend for other guests throughout our days there, some people were very upset with this). I do have to say on the website it does state check in time. It would have been nice to check in early, but we were able to use the facilities while we waited for our room. Having said that. KEEP A BATHING SUIT ON YOU TO CHANGE INTO WHEN YOU GET THERE. I had one in my carry on, which they took to storage and had to wait in the heat in sweatpants until our room was ready. If I had my bathing suit, check in wouldn't have bothered me at all.

We had a night flight home from Mexico, so they allowed us to check out at 3 p.m. which was such a help to us! Overall, I had an amazing time at this resort and would recommend it to anyone wanting a nice romantic getaway!

Room Tip: Building 7 in the Excellence club is private but close to the action.
1  Thank 885meghang

Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.
It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts of your recent vacation and that we were able to meet your expectations, making of this celebration a unique and memorable experience.
We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation, enjoyable food & drinks and entertainment. Moreover it was a delight to read that you experienced relaxing moments at our spa.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our third trip to the Excellence Rivera Maya. We were more excited this trip and felt like we were comig home to old friends. On our arrival Adrian, recognized us from our previous visits and greeted us like family. When we saw Jesus, anther doorman, we got the same reception and help if needed. Love the greeting with fresh dampened wash clothes to cool off and a cold glass of champagne. Ricardo checked us in at the Excellence Club and was helpful the entire length of our stay. We had been traveling all day and were tired by the time we arrived at the Excellence. Ricardo had a nice surprise waiting for us that renewed our energy. He even showed us personal photos he had taken on one of the excursions we were thinking about attending.
We enjoyed the different restaurants with Chez Isabelle, Basmati and Spice being our favorites for dinner, while the beach lunches that changed daily were wonderful. We loved the Mexican Fiesta dinner that was outside and had many more choices than one could possibly eat. We used room service for lunch several times this year because our rooms were on the first floor next to the pool. We sometimes ate breakfast at Barcelona for the expansve buffet or the Excellence Club when we felt like a lighter faire. We even managed to have breakfast at the lobster house, first time ever and were very pleased.
We traveled with another couple and still managed to meet and spend time chatting with other guests.
Of course one of things that is best about this resort is the beach. The sand is always cool so you are not hopping around trying not to burn your feet. Staying at the Excellence club is always
an exceptonal experience because of the wonderful pool bartender, Moises. He is attentive and pleasant always willing to make you the perfect drink.
Be sure you plan a trip to the spa to get into the vacation mode. It has always been one of the highlights of our trip. Susanna gave me a facial and massage that was amazing. Be sure you have the hydro therapy treatment before you leave; it is so relaxing and so much fun.
Our 10 day trip was Excellente!! We are looking forward to going back next year.

Room Tip: Paying the extra for the excellence club is well worth the difference. You have a private pool and...
3  Thank Linda N

Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.
Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be. Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the relaxing treatments offered at our spa, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment with special mention of the Fire show which was amazing and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs. Please be sure that Ricardo and Moises will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've been debating about writing this review - we went back in March 2013 & I hate to say, but I was disappointed. The grounds surrounding the resort are absolutely tropical, & lush, some of the staff like Del la cruz (waiter by the pool) & Sofia (activities) were very nice. The food at the Indian Restaurant was a true delight, and really enjoyed Mexican night. They also provided enjoyable entertainment.

Now the flip side;
Really didn't like the fact that an all inclusive still wanted to charge for a lot of extras: those round beds you see in the pictures on the beach, yours for an additional 45.00 us, I found the house wine to be horrible, the only other alternative was to buy a bottle. The Tequila tasting was a total scam - it consisted of only three samples of tequila (same ones at the hotel that you already paid for) & a hotel staff member explaining about tequila - the info was good but they charged 25.00 per person for that. The Excellence Club - save your money, so not worth it !!!!!

The Indian restaurant was the best, & the breakfast buffet had a good selection. The Spice was NOT good! Really cheap Saki - should be ashamed. The steak house is your typical steak house. Chez Isabelle Restaurant is a fantasy steak house, serving smaller portions & fried lettuce.

The Martini bar is pretty central to the restaurants - so the majority of people congregate there before eating, - only problem is finding a place to sit. Seating is around the bar or they have a big selection of three small tables to sit at. I don't know resort capacity, but I'm going to guess you may need more than three tables.

That was our third time to Mexico, so we are aware of that smell & our room had a real harsh musty smell. I used the incense, but that just masks the smell. Even once we got home it took a couple of good washes to get that out.

I truly was disappointed with the bartenders - they just didn't come through with making up those nice tropical/fruity drinks. I asked at the Excellence Club pool bar for a Bahama Mama, & in return I got this grey drink. I don't know what they used to make it grey, but I gave it the "Ugly Drink Award". I did take a sip, they used a lot of banana - I gave it back.

All in all, its a nice place, but it didn't float my boat. When you spend that kind of money, my boat better float, so no, I personally wouldn't go back - I've had better at the Iberostar.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank doodrop

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, our guests feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to meet your expectations.
Although many travelers find Excellence Riviera Cancun to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service, we do understand that the concept of our hotel does not suit your with your expected vacation.
On the other hand, we can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.
Thank you once again for taking time to give us your opinion. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and provide you the memorable and relaxing experience you deserve.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our trip was from 7/4 -7/12. Our vacation this 3rd time was sadly not as good as the first time. The hotel was excellent--grounds and kept clean and the staff was always gracious. We wanted to stay on the beach all day and we didn't--we actually found ourselves by the pool more than the other two times we went. The beach was nice but the water was GROSS---full of seaweed and just dirty---it was salty and I felt sticky everytime I got out. I did not enjoy the beach. The first time we stayed at Secrets Maroma and I am telling you the water was crystal clear--turquoise blue as you could see to the bottom--and there were little angel fish swimming everywhere...no seaweed in site and the water was like bath water---although warm it was still refreshing. I think another couple we ran into while we stayed at Secrets told us that the Excellence was a better hotel but the beach was nicer at Secrets and I have to agree but I don't care about the room--especially if it's clean and well maintained. The food was better at the Excellence though--not so much for breakfast(about teh same) but the restaurants were much much better especially for all inclusive...we were surprised. The grounds are meticulous at the Excellence and the pools are nicer---as you have a few to choose from--fromt he noisy main pool to quieter pools among the property--that is a plus. Also their spa is beautiful---if you are truly going for R & R I would most definitely recommend the Excellence. The have great shows and many activities one can enjoy. They never bothered us about time share or anything else. We truly had an amazing time. I am thinking perhaps the water and beach are nicer in September as that is when we went the first time but maybe not---again the only downfall to the Excellence is the ugly ocean @ the beach--it is not clean and clear --this was a huge disappointment. We did bring alot of money for tipping as I think they expect this---we didn't mind tipping if it was earned. We did order poolside once and the food was disgusting---it took way too long and when it did arrive it was soggy and cold---we poted to keep eating at the buffet for lunch--which really was superb---I would recommend teh Excellence but just don't get overly excited about the beach---honestly not the best one I've been to.

1  Thank Ele L

Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Excellence Riviera Cancun.
We are glad to read that your overall vacation expericience was of your satisfaction due to the food & drinks quality encountered, hotel facilities and the courteous service provided by our staff members.
Regarding the mentioned issue with the beach, please note that depending on weather conditions, the ocean can be seen more clear some days than others. Be sure we definitely do our best to keep our beach as clean as nature allows.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just returned from my 2nd visit (in 3 years) absolutely brilliant place with 9 on-suite restaurants you really don't need to go anywhere outside the hotel. Staff can't do enough for you. Even though the weather was a bit iffy with storm showers at least it was warm rain and if you were in the pool or sea it didn't matter anyway. Mariana and Angel Bravo were brilliant when we had a problem and pulled out all the stops to arrange an extra special meal for us in the French restaurant for our last night. Rosalba and Moises are brilliant at the Excellence Club pool, just ask for any combination of cocktail - Moises will make it and Rosalba deliver it to you in the pool with a smile. Just can't do the 10 hour flight !

Room Tip: If you're not a late night reveller get a room away from the theatre and plaza or you'll be...
2  Thank Gill L
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!