“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Sunnyside, New York, United States
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just returned and wish I was still there! There were 6 of us celebrating some birthdays. Staff was courteous, friendly, accommodating... Excellent service across the board. Rooms were spacious and everything was very clean from rooms, common areas, pool etc. We had an absolute blast and would go back for sure!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mary Jean E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,581)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed in the excellence club oceanfront room. We had nice big bed, big shower, jacuzzi inside and out on balcony. Hotel just felt classy everything seemed perfect. With the excellence club you had two options if u wanted party atmosphere you could go down by pool bar at the main pool. Or if you wanted tranquility you could stay in the excellence club area. Everyone was super friendly met a bunch of couples. Enjoying the Beach cabanas were my favorite part of day laying down on a bed on the beach with drinks being delivered was just what we needed. And if ocean was to hot we spent rest of day laying on lounge chairs in couple inches of pool water. Food was good the French and Japanese restaurants were our favorite. Would highly recommend this place to anyone. Looking forward to the opening of there Jamaica location since we try and see a different place every time. But would definitely use excellence again

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank Lefty514
Rolesville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from 8 days in paradise! If you don't have fun at the Excellence Resort, it is your fault. My daughter and son-in-law spent their honeymoon there. My daughter told me " Mom, you have to go there!" We have been to Cancun 3 times, but never stayed at a place this nice. We celebrated our 30th Anniversary. We never left the resort, except to take a free trip to Puerto Myrelles. I know I spelled it wrong! The hotel will pay for your taxi, if you leave at 6 and return by 8. This isn't something they advertise, but take advantage of it. When we left our bill was zero, because we spent zero money and we had an unbelievable time. We stayed in the standard room. From the other reviews I had seen prior to arriving I thought I had made a mistake and should have gotten the swim up room, so when we arrived I asked if we could upgrade. I was told that not only were they sold out, but they had over sold the swim up rooms. There were 4 couples in line ahead of us. They had reserved 4 swim up rooms. Only one was given a swim up room. After being at the resort I was glad we didn't get a swim up room. We met lots of people who had swim up rooms, but spent their time at the main pool rather than the pool in front of their room. We loved the main pool. That is where everything is. I did water yoga, water aerobics, and Texas Hold'em. I had never played Texas Hold'em, but Sofia, of the entertainment staff told me not to worry, she would teach me and she did. The first day I wouldn't play for money because I hadn't brought any money down. The next time I was prepared and brought my $20 buy in. Their was more people wanting to play than there was room for. I said that they needed to play more than once a day. That is when the problem started. Now Sofia is the one doing Texas Hold'em, but Karla who is also on the entertainment staff was there. She told us all that she would have another game that night at 5:00 next to the theater. There were at least 11 of us that heard it! There were 10 of us that showed up at 5:00. No Karla! We waited. A lot of people left, but we stayed. We thought she had gotten tied up. A little after 5:30 we saw Sofia. Now Sofia is a stains. She was already off work and had missed her ride back into town. She told us that Karla got off around 3, so she didn't know why she would have told us that she would do Texas Hold'em. She got her boss. Her boss called Karla. He said Karla said that she had said that she would do it if we met her there at 3. This was just a lie. All 11 of us heard the same thing. Karla stayed overtime and got us all the things we needed for us to have our card game. She is an exceptional employee. The next day my husband played volleyball against Karla. He spiked the ball to Karla and said " That was for my wife,since you stood us up for playing Texas Hold'em. She turned her back to him and never apologized.
Don't get me wrong, most of the employees are exceptional. Karla is the exception. Alejandro, at the pool bar is unbelievable! He is the hardest working employee there. He needs help. He is the only bartender at the pool bar and this is the busiest bar. He was fantastic!
We met so many wonderful people! We will always remember our friends Caroline and Matt that we met from England! Thanks guys for the wonderful memories!

I also wanted to mention USA Transfers. They picked us up at the airport. It was a direct taxi to the hotel. They were at the hotel to take us back to the airport 15 minutes before promised. The hotel charges $120 round trip from the airport. USA Transfers only charges $60 round trip. They are listed under entertainment plus. They are well worth the money.

Love Excellence Riviera Cancun!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Judy L
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Overall, this is a very nice resort. It is small compared to other all-inclusive resorts in the area and easy to get around and find everything.

Room: My husband and I were here from May 3-11. We had a swim out suite in building 2 near the quiet spa area- we requested this via email two weeks before arrival and it was met. You get everything you can possibly need in the room from shampoo, toothbrush and shower gel to an umbrella, a scale and even reading lights next to the bed. I brought a nightlight and glad I did, made it easier to see the bathroom in the dark. Be prepared to be woken at sunrise…the birds are quite noisy. Yes, beds are very firm and pillows are not firm enough...this led to me having neck pain and issues most of the trip.

Surroundings: Grounds are kept very neat and they are always painting and doing the gardening. The pools were a perfect temperature for this time of year and we found them to be refreshing in the afternoon after spending the morning at the beach. Noticed the “reserving” of chairs on the beach and by the pool daily, but we always found a seat in the sun which is what we wanted.

Beach: Nice beach. We found the beach further down near Akumal to be far nicer and clearer water to swim in. The water here only allows a small area for swimming due to the sea grass…this was a bit disappointing.

Restaurants: By far the breakfast and lunch buffets are the best we have ever had at an all-inclusive. There is a huge selection and plenty of healthy choices also. Dinner time we never had more than a 20 minute wait. You get a pager and go have a drink, not really a big deal when you are on vacation in my opinion. We found Basmati to be the best choice for us and enjoyed it three times. We also liked Spice, the Mexican and the French restaurant. Oregano was just ok. Pizzas by the pool at lunchtime were awful! Flimsy tasteless pizza we thought…maybe we are just used to better. Took one bite and we threw it out and moved onto the buffet. We really enjoyed the Caribbean Night on the beach! Great food and entertainment all in the sand.

Drinks: Mostly stuck with beer and mojitos after a while. I like a good pina colada and strawberry daiquiri, but they are just too sweet at this resort….one and I was done. House white wine was good, we preferred the Sauvignon blanc.

Activities: We had fun doing the bike tour of Puerto Morelos, quick 15 min bike ride and you are in town to shop and wander around. We also did the air rifle. Sofia is an entertaining instructor and she also led our bike tour. I spent a few hours one day paining pottery by the main pool. After you are done she touches it up pretty for you and you can get it the next day. It was a nice relaxing activity.

Entertainment: this is an area where I was annoyed. We are not smokers. Actually I am allergic to smoke and being around it for a long period of time is not something that I can handle. Being in the theater was just not something I could do. It was very smoky! Every time we would sit down it seemed like everyone around us was smoking. A few nights we could get seats outside and I was able to handle it if it wasn’t blowing in my face, but we missed a few shows due to this issue. The circus show was good and so was the fire show, that’s all we saw unfortunately. Disco was fun one night and we were there till it closed, not normally something we do but a lot of wine had led us there.

Snorkeling: We did a tour with Aqua World through the hotel. The guide was great and they take your picture while you are out there along with the fish and coal. The reef is very nice! Lots of colorful fish and corals…definitely worth the $40 pp charge.

Service: We found service to be very good here. All the waiters were friendly and attentive. Only issue we had was with getting the room cleaned at a good time. It seems like we would come back around 4-4:30 and it was still not done. This would be rectified by a phone call, but why are they not made up earlier in the day? Turn down service was nice and we loved the little newspaper with the next day’s activities and restaurant schedule.

And the bad……Later in the week I started to notice that my legs were getting bit. I thought nothing of it initially since there were mosquitoes around and they set out citronella candles in the evening. Then I got bit so bad from my feet to my thighs and my husband did not. My bites got so inflamed by the day we left I was going nuts they were itching and swelling my legs up. Never thought to check the bed for bed bugs, it just never crossed my mind till I read some other recent reviews on here as we were flying home. When we got home all clothes were washed in hot water and keeping fingers crossed none got in the luggage since our suitcases were far away from the bed. My doctor confirmed that they are bed bug bites and they took a good two weeks to finally go away completely with lots of cortisone and antibiotic cream. Ick!!

We had a great time and we were actually considering coming back, but after I got bit so badly I never want to have that experience again. Would I recommend the resort…yes! Just be sure to check your mattress……..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marla S
Trainer, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our second stay at an Excellence Resort; the first was in Punta Cana. I’ve concluded that if you stayed at one Excellence Resort you’ve stayed at them all. Like the first, this resort holds true to its name, but the staff here is more friendly, and personal. The grounds are spectacular, well kept, AND clean; everything about this resort is amazing. The food is awesome. My husband and I stayed for 6 days, and ate at every restaurant except Basmati. Some nights we dined at 2 restaurants just to try everything, we were never disappointed or regretted trying. The Lobster House is OMG!!!! Every night (except Monday because it wasn’t opened) we ended our evening eating pan-fried lobster at The Lobster House….OMG!!! – I can’t say it enough.
My husband and I read the reviews prior to going, we left trying to figure out why people wrote bad reviews; well, you can’t satisfy everybody is all I can say. But here’s a quick break-down. The rooms are very, very nice, and very, very clean. No need to waste money for the Excellence Club; unless you’re just a person who has to, just to say you did, or you like to spend money unnecessarily. You get the same 5 star service, along with concierge. I hear you get a separate club lounge, separate beach, and better toiletries.….. Who cares, everything’s the same, we walked the Excellence Club side, no difference, it’s just a matter of who’s who. (FYI the Excellence Club side was more crowded, so if you’re paying the extra bucks for more privacy, you should reconsider) We stayed in a pool view room, excellent. Our room was cleaned twice a day, early morning, and evening for turn-down service. We requested a mattress pad for the bed, not sure if it was needed, but that’s something I always do when we go away. If you’re not satisfied with your food, let them know, and they will be more than happy to try and get you what you want, or you can go to another restaurant. Remember this is all-inclusive, they have about 8 restaurants on-sight, and then there’s also room service 24/7 (we did that too, food was tasty, but no hot). Be prepared to have to wait some nights to be seated for dinner. But, you can always go to another restaurant, go have a drink, or walk the resort; your on vacation. My husband and I are not really big on alcohol, but if your drink is weak; order another and explain to them how you want it. The workers are more than happy to accommodate you here; they go out of their way to make you happy, seriously.

William & Theresa Fletcher

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Theresa F
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We got engaged in this hotel and are going to book it again for our honeymoon.

Food is the most amazing thing about the place it's all gorgeous. Beach / drinks / entertainment it's all 5*.

Rooms are fab - even the standard ones are big and you get a free mini bar with loads of alcohol refilled daily.

Room service was excellent and is totally free.

If you are undecided wether to go - BOOK IT!!! You will not regret it!!!

There is not much more to add as most of the reviews tell you how amazing it is - if they don't then they must be millionaires and be used to living in castles.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sarah_ah_17
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was our second holiday to Mexico, and we took this hotel on recommendation from the travel agent staff. From the moment we arrived we felt that we had made an excellent choice, and were greeted with hot face cloths and glasses of champagne. The room we were allocated was in the spa area of the hotel, a quiet area away from the hustle of the main area. This suited us very well, the room was spacious, very clean and tastefully decorated and thankfully an abundance of towels. The mini bar and the spirits shelf were very well stocked, with a variety of drinks, mixers and juices.

All of the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and went the extra mile to please, with the waitresses working in the main bar area really ensuring you always had a full drink in front of you!!

The food quality in all the restaurants was excellent and really well cooked to your own requirements, the best restraunt on the complex in our opinion was "Chez Issabelle" the french restaurant, which served an excellent Filet Mignon.

If we were to have one small critisism of the hotel it would be the location as it is situated directly between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. If you want to leave the complex to get a break from it, the cost of taxis to either place is fairly expensive.

If we were asked would we return to this hotel the answer would have to be yes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,642 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!